Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pete Doherty whats going on?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

If ya don't like him, then stop paying him such attention ffs! From the above posts there seem to be one or two of us who do actually appreciate the tunes, poems etc that a clean pete can produce. Having said that, the other replies are understandable - he can be a talentless, moronic idiot, particularily when he's not clean (which is something he IS putting behind him). But tbh, these monthly threads get us nowhere, so just enjoy his talent or ignore him completely at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What talent?

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What talent?

I think being able to restrain oneself from dumbass, non-contributory replies on boards.ie is a talent all in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I think The Libertines had alot of potential that wasn't realised. I'm wouldn't say I'm a fan, but what I heard of The Libertines was decent, it had good roots, you could hear alot of classic influences.

I haven't much time for Pete's solo stuff, he's just a media puppet/muppet now, but I'd still like to see Pete and Carl Barat write some more songs, whether under the name The Libertines or not, because I think they had something together, however small. I'm not gonna say "Lennon & McCartney" (:D) because it wasn't, but there was potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I think The Libertines had alot of potential that wasn't realised. I'm wouldn't say I'm a fan, but what I heard of The Libertines was decent, it had good roots, you could hear alot of classic influences.

I haven't much time for Pete's solo stuff, he's just a media puppet/muppet now, but I'd still like to see Pete and Carl Barat write some more songs, whether under the name The Libertines or not, because I think they had something together, however small. I'm not gonna say "Lennon & McCartney" (:D) because it wasn't, but there was potential.

Thats pretty much my thinking on the matter too.

I really like the Libs songs that I've downloaded and am not too impressed by Babyshambles, Dirty Pretty Things are ok.

Pete Doherty has talent but he needs to clean up.
    @OP him and Kate Moss are supposedly getting married, so maybe not taking him under her wing as such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Andystoran

Pete Doherty in the same sentence as Led Zepplin?
    Poet?
    Iv listened to Petes music and i really dont think the Libertines were very rock and or Roll. They didnt do anything but regurgerate the music of the time with average lyrics and poor vocals.
    I tried to like it, i really did.
    The crazy thing is that this guys destined for a tragic drugs death, which will capture the imagination of so many more people.
    When people talk about talented artists that died young theyll talk about Pete in the same breath as hendrix, Jim Morisson, Bob Marley.
    Itl be hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

morrisey said he hates kate moss for dragging pete down to her level. im with the quiff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Heroin

starn wrote:
    RHCP are Sh1te. All there songs are either plagerised Tom Petty tunes or souless bland sh1te with California in the tiltle

HOLD ON NOW! i can understand ppl hatin pete , though i dont agree , but you really have crossed the line there , with what can only really be described as a retarted answer. the chili peppers are , not maybe , DEFINATLEY one of the biggest , if not THE biggest band today.

now , as for this tom petty **** , why in the name of all that is holy , after 20 years, and nine albums , would they decide , " lets nick tom pettys song , and throw it on the album" why? Dani California sounds , somewhat similar to Mary Janes last dance , no way identical though. belive me i know.

i caqn tell your one of the many arseholes who slag this group , and have no understandin of them. they have the best bass player , drummer , and DEFINATLEY the best guitarist today , if you spent time like i have , listenin to all their albums , understandin each member and so forth you wouldnt talk such bollox about em.

and , theres 1 song with california in the title , bein g Dani california , Californication isnt california.

Heroin wrote:
    they have the best bass player , drummer , and DEFINATLEY the best guitarist today , if you spent time like i have , listenin to all their albums , understandin each member and so forth you wouldnt talk such bollox about em.
    And if you spent more time listening to music outside the mainstream pop/rock scene you'd realise how retarded that statement was.

RHCP are REALLY average dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Andystoran

Heroin wrote:
    They have the best bass player , drummer , and DEFINATLEY the best guitarist today , if you spent time like i have , listenin to all their albums , understandin each member and so forth you wouldnt talk such bollox about em.

Iv always liked the chillis buddy.Loved the early stuff and Blood Sugar is a classic. But you have to agree that they did change after Californication and become a bit mainstream. The still make some fantastic music.
    I just gotta disagree on the drummer base player and guitarist being the best in the world.Thats just plain wrong!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

keepin it totally off subject/on subject.
    I used to be a huuge chilis fan but they really blew it after bloodsugarsexmagik in my opinion.
    its like they were shown the magic bag o cash & told "if you want this you'll have to become the 90's version of the rolling stones constantly releasing regurgitated sh-t yet almost but neverquite nearing former glories"
    Seriously they are a self parody of almost Status quo proportions.
    What really put me off them however was the fact that they are quite honestly the most boring act I have ever seen live.
    (& ive been to a lou reed concert!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Heroin wrote:
    now , as for this tom petty **** , why in the name of all that is holy , after 20 years, and nine albums , would they decide , " lets nick tom pettys song , and throw it on the album" why? Dani California sounds , somewhat similar to Mary Janes last dance , no way identical though. belive me i know.

Obviously they aren't identical. They're ridiculously similar though.

Flea is not the best bass player in the world, Frusciante is far from the best guitarist and Chad just isn't the dogs bollox at all at all.

As a band they occasionally write catchy pop tunes but thats about it.

Andystoran wrote:
    Pete Doherty in the same sentence as Led Zepplin?
    Poet?
    Iv listened to Petes music and i really dont think the Libertines were very rock and or Roll. They didnt do anything but regurgerate the music of the time with average lyrics and poor vocals.
    I tried to like it, i really did.
    The crazy thing is that this guys destined for a tragic drugs death, which will capture the imagination of so many more people.
    When people talk about talented artists that died young theyll talk about Pete in the same breath as hendrix, Jim Morisson, Bob Marley.
    Itl be hilarious.

No-one is destined for anything, and I do not believe that Pete Doherty is destined for a tragic drugs death - he's cleaner than a lot of others at this stage (Justin Hawkins for one) - and the Libertines were rock and roll personified. They absolutely did not regurgitate lyrics, they produced some of the most poetic and honest lines for a long, long time IMO. Look at the muck being thrown at us by U2, Coldplay, The Killers and all the other mainstream BS.

He's not dying, or dead yet, and I think your voyeurism and the fact that you think it will be 'hilarious' if he does die in this manner are a bit sick to be honest. Pete Doherty has my imagine well captured without him dying, thanks very much.

hoody wrote:
    No-one is destined for anything, and I do not believe that Pete Doherty is destined for a tragic drugs death - he's cleaner than a lot of others at this stage (Justin Hawkins for one)

He's not a drug addict, because someone is more addicted? :confused:
    and the Libertines were rock and roll personified. They absolutely did not regurgitate lyrics, they produced some of the most poetic and honest lines for a long, long time IMO. Look at the muck being thrown at us by U2, Coldplay, The Killers and all the other mainstream BS.

Again, not a very valid comparison. You can't say X is great because Y and Z are crap. Especially when Y and Z are Coldplay and U2.

Give us an example of The Libertines "poetic and honest" lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

There's been a lot of name calling and hissy fits on this thread. Please keep it civil and on topic or else I'll have to lock this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Heroin

JC 2K3 wrote:
    And if you spent more time listening to music outside the mainstream pop/rock scene you'd realise how retarded that statement was.

RHCP are REALLY average dude.

ive got like 4000 songs on my pc and lie 50 different genres of music , the chillys are what i listen to least but they are my favorite band.

anyone whois rplied to this thread , do u play instruments or what? im a guitarist , very very average , but i know what makes a guitar player good , listen to his solo stuff , listen to the chords , you dont see it today in many bands what John Frusciante does , maybe Radiohead have interestin melodys , but apart from that , theres not alot.

and whoever sed the chillys werew **** .live , ive seen em only twice , but they were the best gigs ive been to , not just sayin that cuz im a fan , they really were the best , only close ones to it are the who , and maybe oasis. and lou reed is good, dont know about live tho,.

Heroin wrote:
    anyone whois rplied to this thread , do u play instruments or what?

Yep, play guitar. Don't see anything groundbreaking or inventive in either The Libertines or RHCP.

Heroin wrote:
    ive got like 4000 songs on my pc and lie 50 different genres of music , the chillys are what i listen to least but they are my favorite band.
    If we're gonna go down that road then: I have between 7,000 and 10,000 songs on my PC and another 220GB of music on an external HD.
    Heroin wrote:
    anyone whois rplied to this thread , do u play instruments or what? im a guitarist , very very average , but i know what makes a guitar player good , listen to his solo stuff , listen to the chords , you dont see it today in many bands what John Frusciante does , maybe Radiohead have interestin melodys , but apart from that , theres not alot.
    I've been playing recorder 8 years and guitar 5 years. Radiohead wasn't mentioned and are totally irrelevent. Jon Frusciante is good but not that good, and it's not like he's doing anything new. His friend Omar Rodriguez would be an example of someone a lot better than him who's actually doing something half original.
    Heroin wrote:
    and whoever sed the chillys werew **** .live , ive seen em only twice , but they were the best gigs ive been to , not just sayin that cuz im a fan , they really were the best , only close ones to it are the who , and maybe oasis. and lou reed is good, dont know about live tho,.
    Their Live at Slane DVD rocked, but from the many reports I heard from an obscure music festival that definately wasn't named after a vital element they were crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Someone should take a flame thrower to this Doherty scumbag and roast him,id gladly do it myself im sick of hearing about him:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

This is beginning to resemble a drunken 5:am arguement about who is the world's best guitarist.
    Personally i can take or leave babyshambles - i liked "**** forever" but its at least twice as long as it should be.Genius or junkie fukkup or both who gives a sh-t.
    What's really fascinating is that Pete Doherty seems to have an uncanny knack of hitting the headlines.
    while there are "rockstars" who are in a worse state than him they seem to escape the attention. Which forces me to think that these people have publiscists to keep them off page 1 & Pete has publicists to do the opposite.

Oasis - wrote the book on regurgitation cant vouch for themin concert but i couldn't sit through a bus journey listening to one of their albums so they'd wanna be Fookin special live.

The WHO used to be one of the greatest acts live maybe they still rock I dont know & I never will cos i aint spendin 80 quid takin the risk to see a trout farmer & a registered sex offender

Sorry HEROIN Seen the chilli peppers 3 times SUCK SUCK SUCK .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Heroin wrote:

i caqn tell your one of the many arseholes who slag this group , and have no understandin of them. they have the best bass player , drummer , and DEFINATLEY the best guitarist today
    Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha! You musn't listen to very many bands. Either that or you need to grow some ears. Puh-lease!

As for Pete Doherty, the difference between him and previous debaucherous rock stars like Hendrix, Led Zep, Sabbath and co is that they actually made some pretty timeless music in their time. Doherty has not. That is why he needs to be shunned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Heroin wrote:
    HOLD ON NOW! i can understand ppl hatin pete , though i dont agree , but you really have crossed the line there , with what can only really be described as a retarted answer. the chili peppers are , not maybe , DEFINATLEY one of the biggest , if not THE biggest band today.

i caqn tell your one of the many arseholes who slag this group , and have no understandin of them. they have the best bass player , drummer , and DEFINATLEY the best guitarist today , if you spent time like i have , listenin to all their albums , understandin each member and so forth you wouldnt talk such bollox about em.

and , theres 1 song with california in the title , bein g Dani california , Californication isnt california.

Would ya ever **** off before I beat you with my shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

*sigh*

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement