Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pete Doherty whats going on?

Options
  • 21-10-2006 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Iv been noticing over the last couple of years that Pete Doherty has developed this icon status. Il have to put it down to his drug habit and that pathetic(Feel sorry for me) look on his face. Kate Moss has taken him under her wing as her little recovery project and thinks she can Fix this guy. This guy has annoyed me since the first time i saw hiw face.
    I watched a list of the 100 greatest albums ever made and the Libertines came in at number 50!!!!!
    HoW?????
    No really How?
    There were so many bands that didnt even make the top 100, when the Libertines came on i felt sick to the pit of my stomach.
    Music journalists talk about them like they have creted there own genre of music and make them out to be revolutionary.
    Im completely lost here because i just saw this average guitar band with a well publicised crack addict.
    As for Babyshamles, problem with them is they believe they are this special talent. Iv heard the interviews, hilarious!!
    Im sick of watching these fans screaming for this stuff.
    anybdy with me or are yee all in Petes possey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

One word. Four Letters.

Hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    One word. Four Letters.

Hype.

Hmm... I was actually thinking of another word.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Heroin

its simple . pete is filling a gap left since the 80s , or early 90`s. theres no rock n roll in rock n roll anymore! wheres the sex and drugs? wheres the outrage? boybands and girlbands are starting to dominate the charts , and **** pop! pete is bringing the essence of rock with him. ive heard aload of people ,like the author of this post , say they hate him , but for what reason? i suppose you could sit there and watch big brother , or x-facter , but you cant stand pete for some reason. we need more rock n roll attitude in rock and punk.

and also , dont pay attention to that 100 greatest albums , your not gonna have heard em all , so u cant decide,. there is no greatest album! OK computer may have gotten a majority , but its certainly not the "greatest" , (think of it like like most Governments) and the reason the libertines are at 50 is because they brought proper guitar music and , again , the rock image to the charts again , like oasis before them brining proper guitar music to number 1.

Elton John is one of the best musicians today. he plays good , interesting music. and remember live 8? who sang with him , Pete Doherty. thats gotta say something.

and dont start ****tin on about " i like pete cuz of the drugs , hence my name , blah blah"
    my name - John Frusciante song -Heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭telecaster_dub

he is a muppet and muck and should be pulled outside an shot with a ball of his own ****

he does drugs all time and even on tape shooting into a girls arm and still didnt get locked up ???

dirty ****

he took blood actually.for his blood paintings. dont believe what you read in the papers. every artist is unusual and uses unusual methods.

Hendrix , Mcartney , Lennon , Black Sabbath , Led Zeppelin , Janis Joplin and many many other more great bands , all have on thing in common . they did drugs. but no one bitches about them. you all like them right?

and in response the MrJoesoap`s comment , Hype is the word used to describe the Arctic Monkeys. thats all they are. they are a balloon filled with hype keeping them going , just wait till its gone tho , every 1 will finally realise they are nothing like what people say they are. i seen em at ****** , the crowd went mad , but not because of what the band done or anything , but because its "the thing to do " its not cool to like the Arctic Monkeys apparently.

• Advertisement

and u know he took blood ???? ur woman was unconcious

what they all have in common is they were famouse and sold millions worldwide and also made proper music

also everybody knew them for music and not drugs

we know they made music and such , that was the reason i chose them. people look back on them now from their music , and of course then , but they would have been looked at from the angle of drugs too.

and also , define good music. i bet u cant , for the obvious reason , there is no good music , its all music. its just wheter or not you like it. Pete Doherty is a poet , his songs and poems are very good works of writing , im gonna try and not come here all the time and say why Pete is good , but you have to listen to his music , forget his lifestyle. that is an added bonus , but sure i would love him to stop using , and he is trying. i dont wanna see him die , i wanna see him clean and then see what every says, why they dont like for some other stupid reasons. but , if you dont like his music then leave it at that.

he's only writing supposedly good music cause he's off his face like oasis where in early years but they stopped and and music is crap , well it always was but it got worse

and his lifestyle is an added bonus ?????? u mad

he doesnt wanna quit cause he plays off the media

he's in and out of the priory everyweek and he sold his old drug thingy the doctors put in him on ebay what a dirt bag no class

just look at him ?? he's never had a million selling album , well if he has ive never heard of it

90 % of people out there never heard a song of his

unlike beatles and u2 or rolling stones

nearly everybody has heard of them

u2 are a class band and record sales and ticket sales says it all there diff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Andystoran wrote:
    Iv been noticing over the last couple of years that Pete Doherty has developed this icon status. Il have to put it down to his drug habit and that pathetic(Feel sorry for me) look on his face. Kate Moss has taken him under her wing as her little recovery project and thinks she can Fix this guy. This guy has annoyed me since the first time i saw hiw face.
    I watched a list of the 100 greatest albums ever made and the Libertines came in at number 50!!!!!
    HoW?????
    No really How?
    There were so many bands that didnt even make the top 100, when the Libertines came on i felt sick to the pit of my stomach.
    Music journalists talk about them like they have creted there own genre of music and make them out to be revolutionary.
    Im completely lost here because i just saw this average guitar band with a well publicised crack addict.
    As for Babyshamles, problem with them is they believe they are this special talent. Iv heard the interviews, hilarious!!
    Im sick of watching these fans screaming for this stuff.
    anybdy with me or are yee all in Petes possey?

He's developed an icon status because a) he's a talented musician/poet and b) he's probably the only true rock n' roll star walking the face of his earth, not because he takes drugs or is so called ''cool''. Libertines/Babyshambles fans are targeted by so much immature unfounded nothing but the thing to do stick I'm amazed there's still so many fans of his. I personally think he's one fcuked up tosser but despite that fact I'm still a fan of music and what he's done in music and most Libs/Shambles fans would say the same thing....there are not that many people who listen or support a band because ''it's cool'', if anything it's ''uncool'' to be a Libs/Shambles fan.

Anyway you have to give kudos to him for annoying so many people! Long live Pete Doherty!

EDIT: eh yeah bring on the predictable abuse and all sorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭last_orders

poor old pete, i dont think he went out to be this huge icon. he acts odd and being different attracts huge attention, personally speaking i cant stand libs/bsham but i can respect their music as rock compared to the other ****e in the charts. as for his likeness to oasis, thats different cause oasis were the first of a new generation of britpop an have influenced dozens of new bands, noel gallagher himself promotes new bands (the zutons would be unknowns without his help for example) and comparing him to pete is absurd. i hope he cleans up his act and realises that he has to work hard to live up to the standard that his image set and blow everyone away. as for his g8 performance, it was a joke an he was obviously tripping balls. he could of done so much better but he just looked pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

I could have put my head in a bucket full of porridge
    And moaned about the hospital parking scheme

I would have saved £14,
    That I just splashed out on your second album

Cause thats what its akin to,
    And furthermore

You've got a s**t arm, and thats a bad tattoo
    You've got a s**t arm, and thats a bad tattoo

If you're going to quote from the book of revelation,
    Don't keep calling it the book of revelations,
    Theres no 'S'
    It's the book of revelation
    As revealed to St John the Divine

See also Mary Hopkin,
    She must despair

(authentic celtic band)

From www.hmhb.co.uk
    See the front cover of The Libertines' self-titled second album.

..."quote from the Book Of Revelations"... refers to The Libertines' What A Waster single from 2002 - offending lyrics are "When she wakes up in the morning, she writes down all her dreams, reads like the Book of Revelations, or the Beano or the unabridged Ulysses.". Splendid.

"Book Of Revelation" - Fairly impenetrable. The Revelation is lavish in colourful descriptions of the visions which proclaim for us the Last Days before Christ’s return and the ushering in of the new Heaven and new earth. The Revelation reveals the series of devastations poured out upon the earth; the mark of the beast, “666”; the climatic battle of Armageddon; the binding of Satan; the reign of the Lord; the Great White Throne Judgment; and the nature of the eternal city of God. Prophecies concerning Jesus Christ are fulfilled and a concluding call to His Lordship assures us that He will soon return.

"St John The Divine" had a Revelation in the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

theres no rock n roll in rock n roll anymore!

Thats a good thing if there is one think I hate about rock music its the bollix attitude that goes with it the whole phony rebelion thing really bores me.

true , babyshambles albums dont sell millions. and they arent the biggest band on the planet , but they are a very intimate band , their gigs are done in small venues and that is the best way for it , much better than a massive stage where your far away from em.

and the media plays off of pete!they say how bad he is , how ****ed up he is , they over do it. hes not as bad as they say , they are just lookin for gossip to throw at their droolin vegetable like readers. i know their stories are garbage , who doesnt , but i still read it , but only believe half of what is said , until i get the first hand account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

90 % of people out there never heard a song of his

That is the major problem, book by its cover and all that.

agree totally with what zane has said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I thought the initial stuff form the libs was quite good but since then his media personna has got the better of him. He's living on his unfounded fame, not turning up to gigs etc which quite rightly should p*ss his fans off. If your not a fan then the constant sight of him in the paper either getting arrested/going to court or leaving rehab and the sh*te stories that follow him would wreck you head.

He's in no way cool and the fact that he's bringing "rock and roll" back to rock and roll by being a drugie is ridiculous. He should concentrate on making his music and forget about how to get on the front page of the star.

Personally I hate the guy. The reason I hate him is for his personality. He thinks he's Gods gift to the music scene. He needs a reality check.

he turns up for gigs now. he is cleanin up . and dont read the star , its **** .

hes not big because of music as ive heard the music and its brutal and ive never heard or read a review about how good the music is and how good they are , simply because they aint

he's big because he's a junkie and always in the papers with black eyes etc or caught ding drugs , hes not big because of music ok and surely if they where that big and so good they'd have sold millions and be selling out big gigs instead of small ones , dont say they chose to play small venues as its more intimate its because they cant sell out a big venue

and him making a show of himself at live 8 ??? he got slated so much for that

not every band / musician comes to a point where they sell millions of albums ya know. they dont all get number ones too.

RHCP , filling massive arenas in less than an hour for at least 15 years now, stadium arcadium , their 9th studio album = the 1st to go number 1 for em in the U.S. and their guitarist , he is a genious , musically, and when he plays solo shows he plays in the places equivellant of where babyshambles play. and he is a HUGE talent , but as a solo player , he doesnt publicise his work. he lets the music do the talkin , like pete , hence he doesnt give a **** about reviewswhat people think of em and so on.

and that **** about pete ****in up at live 8 , i have that video on my computer , he got his words right. he looked the buisness , and he was a hell of a lot better than what boolox the rest of the show had, only for Pink Floyd , i woulda be sick that they could only get 3 proper good musicians in , Elton John , Pete , and Macca.

now , all this time , i havent been sayin babyshambles are the greatest band ever , i know damn well they arent , but they are a breath of frewsh air and something interesting , they get the crowd going , they write good songs. you want a good review of em , talk to a babyshambles fan , they are the only ones who know what they are talkin about when it comes to this kinda thing , cuz they wont give a biosed opinion , they know when hes let em down , and whens he really done somethin good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Heroin wrote:
    he took blood actually.for his blood paintings. dont believe what you read in the papers. every artist is unusual and uses unusual methods.

Calling him an 'artist' is taking liberties with the word I think.
    Hendrix , Mcartney , Lennon , Black Sabbath , Led Zeppelin , Janis Joplin and many many other more great bands , all have on thing in common . they did drugs. but no one bitches about them. you all like them right?

One key difference seems to have washed over you. The people/bands you've mentioned were hugely talented and very succesful musicians, who had the talent/record sales to back up their fame and media persona.

WTF has Doherty ever done? Sod all. Libertines were just another average guitar band, while Babyshambes are s***e. The trash media do play on this drug-addled image and have turned him into a tabloid regular but it's fair to say he courts alot of this crap himself. Why not cop on to himself and keep the head down for a while? Clean up his act a little bit? Why? Because if he did he'd be forgotten about in 5 minutes time.

He can take drugs all he likes as far I'm concerned. I don't care. But he is typical of all that's wrong with 'celebrity' these days. That you can be famous just for being (apparently) a fcuked up smackhead. Jade Goody is famous for being as thick as two short planks. All a bunch of knobheads if you ask me. You can't just blame the The Sun, Now! Magazine and all the other rags that perpetuate this s**t, these publications would go out of business if there wasn't enough attention-seeking tossers like Doherty to keep them in print.

couldnt hav put it better myself aidan well put my friend

he should just od and do the world a favour and free space in papers for more important issues

• Advertisement

Heroin wrote:
    its simple . pete is filling a gap left since the 80s , or early 90`s. theres no rock n roll in rock n roll anymore! wheres the sex and drugs? wheres the outrage?

Nothing to do with the music then, is it?
    Heroin wrote:
    people ,like the author of this post , say they hate him , but for what reason? i suppose you could sit there and watch big brother , or x-facter , but you cant stand pete for some reason.

If someone decides to become a junkie (yes, it is a conscious decision) and not show up to gigs because they are too flippin wasted to care about the people who pay for their heroin, then they deserve nothing.

I find their music quite average, obviously thats my personal taste and nobody can question that.

I've no problem with people enjoying his music but to stick up for someone who consistently acts the prick, drives under the influence, assaults people and shows blatant disregard for other human beings...

Thats your conscience.

mr joe soap my hats off to you well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've yet to meet anyone who's really into their music and not just the mainstream indie scene/whatever's on the radio who likes the Libertines/Pete Doherty.

Most of his fans seem to be clueless girls too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Most of his fans seem to be clueless girls too....

They all want one as a pet - maybe madonna should adopt a hapless junkie fukk up instead of a kid from malawi.

The media always like to have an "anti-darling" to fill the headlines with & cause a bit of harmless controversy - every once in a while Pat Kenny brings on Shane McGowan or fr Sinead o'connor to" shock" the nation.
    Pete Doherty is a godsend to the tabloids he doesnt even need to be provoked.
    as Bill Grundy mightve said"what a clever boy"

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭DáireM

The Libertines were a decent band alright but 50th best album of all time? puh-please.

So many albums that didn't make it in... I woulda swapped The Libertines for David Gray's White Ladder although I doubt anyone will agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

in 2 years time the media will have moved onto somebody else.

I've no problem with people enjoying his music but to stick up for someone who consistently acts the prick, drives under the influence, assaults people and shows blatant disregard for other human beings...

Thats your conscience.[/QUOTE]

you know that every human being shows disregard for others , its human nature. and what would you do if your brother / sister / ma / da / any relation was n his position , would you say the same? they are a prick and you think they deserve what they are goin thru? it is the same with a musician. they may not be blood relative , but youve gotta feel for em . yes its a conscious decision to do drugs , but what isnt? no one is ever forced to do somethin .

D&#225 wrote: »
    So many albums that didn't make it in... I woulda swapped The Libertines for David Gray's White Ladder although I doubt anyone will agree with me.

your right , david gray shouldnt be anywhere where "the greatest / best" is mentioned

Heroin wrote:
    you know that every human being shows disregard for others , its human nature.

Not every human being drives under the influence of crack cocaine, repeatedly. And all the other countless incidents he's been in trouble over.
    Heroin wrote:
    and what would you do if your brother / sister / ma / da / any relation was n his position , would you say the same?

I've no idea, its a hypothetical situation I don't expect to encounter.
    Heroin wrote:
    they are a prick and you think they deserve what they are goin thru? it is the same with a musician. they may not be blood relative , but youve gotta feel for em . yes its a conscious decision to do drugs , but what isnt? no one is ever forced to do somethin .

Well it is his fault, of course he deserves it. If you start taking the drugs Pete Doherty takes then you have to be prepared to live with the consequences. I despise all this "its not his fault and we should pity him" bull****.

Why the hell would I have to feel for him? Because he ****ed his life up with drugs? No chance mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Heroin wrote:
    RHCP , filling massive arenas in less than an hour for at least 15 years now, stadium arcadium , their 9th studio album = the 1st to go number 1 for em in the U.S. and their guitarist , he is a genious , musically, and when he plays solo shows he plays in the places equivellant of where babyshambles play. and he is a HUGE talent , but as a solo player , he doesnt publicise his work. he lets the music do the talkin , like pete , hence he doesnt give a **** about reviewswhat people think of em and so on.

RHCP are Sh1te. All there songs are either plagerised Tom Petty tunes or souless bland sh1te with California in the tiltle

As for Pete, well The Libs were the Dogs. Babysambles a p1ss poor. Two great tracks on the Album Albion and Fcuk Forever. Both of which are carry overs from the Lib days. But Ill give him his dues great front man saw him in Carlow twice. Fcuking Awesome. I was very dissapointed with the ambasoder show. Its a pity people judge him with out listen to TYhe Lib albums

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement