Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NME Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Record Mirror,MUZIK,Jockey slut,Select,Smash hits all the good music mags
    are dead!
    did anyone mention that Humanzi are shyte??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

Q is also crap. They spend too much time playing lick arse with the stadium rock bands. And the whole top 100 list thing has been flogged to death at this stage. They did a list of the worst albums of all time.....nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

nme as a magazine is sh*t but not as sh*t as humanzi are. The only good thing about nme is their website which is updated pretty regular unlike the hotpress website which would give humanzi a good running in a competition for ****est thing in the world ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

It all boils down to one thing... if around 10 years ago you found your bands picture on the cover of the NME you would think "Yes, we've made it!" but now how would you react?

Best answer wins the lollipop i just found stuck to a sock under my bed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Slightly OT- but how many singles do you have to sell to get an Irish number 1 these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It all boils down to one thing... if around 10 years ago you found your bands picture on the cover of the NME you would think "Yes, we've made it!" but now how would you react?

Best answer wins the lollipop i just found stuck to a sock under my bed :D
    Pick up the phone and call my solicitor and begin arrangements to sue NME for libel.

magpie wrote:
    Slightly OT- but how many singles do you have to sell to get an Irish number 1 these days?

I reckon less than 500 in a week.
    I know someone who released a single several years ago,it got to number 15 in the week of release without much of a push.they had a fairly good name on the kind of "bubblin' under" bands scene but only had a regular gig following of about 200/300 heads (& thats probably exagerating)
    I cant imagine that all these folks bought the single within a week so i can only presume that to get in the top 20 your talkin' 200 or less.
    e.g. "Finglas" By Spiral was in the charts even before the little muppet appeared on big brother-largely due to on a few plays on 98fm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

long live the New Morrissey Express! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

eoinf wrote:
    ....unlike the hotpress website which would give humanzi a good running in a competition for ****est thing in the world ever.

...and you have to subscribe to read it. They should be paying us to read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

magpie wrote:

about 5000 for the singles chart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

so....
    Has NME Ireland closed then?
    I notice the new issue is just back to being called NME - with no Irish content in the middle?!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Woulldn't wipe my bum with NME tbh, Irish edition or not.

Kingsize wrote:
    It has all the hallmarks of something that'll be dead in 6 months...21/10/2006:(

Dead already!!
    fukk that !!
    we shoulda gone to Paddy Power!!

It's back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

There still tends to be more ads for English gigs etc than Irish ones. Can anyone actually recommend me a decent magazine rather than Hotpress and NME then?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

I think the best music magazine writing is in Mojo, though it tends to cover the usual 60s and 70s suspects too frequently, it wouldn't be the best place for keeping up with really new stuff.. when they write about somebody you know it's usually very good though. Uncut is okay too, albeit with maybe a bit of a 'dadrock' slant (same goes for Word).. I usually pick up Foggy Notions whenever they appear (seems to be only every 2-3 months though), nicely designed and a decent selection of stuff though the criticism usually aimed at them is that they pander to their subjects a bit too much.. It is worth getting, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I think the best music magazine writing is in Mojo, though it tends to cover the usual 60s and 70s suspects too frequently, it wouldn't be the best place for keeping up with really new stuff.. when they write about somebody you know it's usually very good though. Uncut is okay too, albeit with maybe a bit of a 'dadrock' slant (same goes for Word).. I usually pick up Foggy Notions whenever they appear (seems to be only every 2-3 months though), nicely designed and a decent selection of stuff though the criticism usually aimed at them is that they pander to their subjects a bit too much.. It is worth getting, though.

Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

There still tends to be more ads for English gigs etc than Irish ones. Can anyone actually recommend me a decent magazine rather than Hotpress and NME then?

what the junkie said...Foggy Notions is excellent and it always features a cd with awesome songs from some bands you've probably never heard of.

Plan B is also worth checking out. hard to find in shops (it usually turns up in HMV Henry Street in Dublin). if you're used to reading magazines like HP and NME then the writing may seem a bit strange and you may hate it. anyway there are a good few articles on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JakeLuxor

about 5000 for the singles chart.

I remember one of those reality shows on MTV and the record label types were saying to break the top ten in Britain you need to sell about 12,000'ish singles.
    Director got number two in the Irish album charts on their first week of release with 2800'ish sales and album sales are far higher than singles sales so I reckon about a 1000 sales would get you a very good placing in the Irish singles chart so a number Id say anywhere between 1000-2000 sales depending on who else is releasing would get ye a number one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JakeLuxor

Kingsize wrote:
    magpie wrote:

I reckon less than 500 in a week.
    I know someone who released a single several years ago,it got to number 15 in the week of release without much of a push.they had a fairly good name on the kind of "bubblin' under" bands scene but only had a regular gig following of about 200/300 heads (& thats probably exagerating)
    I cant imagine that all these folks bought the single within a week so i can only presume that to get in the top 20 your talkin' 200 or less.
    e.g. "Finglas" By Spiral was in the charts even before the little muppet appeared on big brother-largely due to on a few plays on 98fm

Fair ****s to them because its alot harder process to get a chart placing (in general) than the way you have described above, its not to hard to get some radio play in Ireland.
    The problem is getting the records into the shops so the public can actually buy them.
    First ye have to get a distributer to take ye on, the distributer then sends out a list to music stores in Ireland each week of whats comming out the following week, its upto each individual record shop to decide if they want to stock your releases, then they decide how many they want to buy off the distributer so if you havnt got a label behind you or a good PR machine it can be hard to get record shops to take much notice.

Only my opinion btw, Im sure some others on here have had different experiences of how it works.

• Advertisement

I think Foggy Notions is probably the best magazine, but there are loads of cool fanzine-type English mags in Tower Records and some extremely stylish and good American ones in the new Borders in Blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ook

I agree Foggy Notions is good, espec for reading about new slightly obscure acts. I have to say though I think NME Ireland is pretty great so far. There's been a few Irish bands in there that I wouldn't have heard of but for it that I really like and it's pretty good at giving coverage to Irish acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

^Praising NME?

We don't take kindly to your type 'round these parts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Ah come on NME Ireland's not so bad, at least it gives coverage to up-and-coming Indie bands here. Unlike the "Julie Feeney Monthly"... I mean Hotpress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

i have read the latest edition (with top 50 albums of the year) its pretty lame, not much indepth articles really, just rehashing alot of stuff about the year but i guess thats pretty standard with any magazine covering the top 50 of the year.

one thing though why is the price of "NME ireland" on printed on the cover in sterling??? surely it should have a cost in euro on the cover too seen as its the currency of the country its produced for??

yeah, everytime I get it I'm charged either a couple of cent more or a couple of cent less than I last paid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

just looked at it again lasnite, theres as ES €2.95 price which i presume means price in spain...but the stick on price tag from the newsagent was €3.53, dunno who is responsible for ripping me off but for sure i wont be buying it again

good issue this week though.
    anyone know when next Foggy Notions out - is it monthly, yearly, every decade or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think Foggy Notions is out every two months

• Advertisement

John wrote:
    I think Foggy Notions is out every two months

According to the cover, it would be, but it just seems to be whenever it's ready.. I don't think there's been one since before Electric Picnic, and I was looking forward to some stuff from their stage!

It's definitely weird that the Spanish price of NME Ireland is cheaper than the Irish price (although, obviously, "ours" isn't on sale in Spain). They should probably fix that.

Advertisement