Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NME Ireland

Options
  • 21-10-2006 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

NME have launched a dedicated Irish edition. What does everyone think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

First impression-Why what's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

Ye, Humanzi on the cover of the first. The headline was that there the next big thing.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

i'd say its better than hot press anyway......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

Like that's hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll be dead in 6 months. Hot Press should have died 20 years ago.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

It has all the hallmarks of something that'll be dead in 6 months.
    Cynical & unoriginal marketing ploy it's like the IRISH SUN!!(or should I say oirish Saaan!!)
    I gave up reading the NME years ago round about the time when the editor was an 11 year old who'd done "rather well" in his a- levels.
    Still if i had to take the Pepsi challenge it'd be better than HOT PRESS what a fookin rag...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Beastieboy wrote:
    Ye, Humanzi on the cover of the first. The headline was that there the next big thing.......

*shudders* Humanzi are absolutluy dredful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^Agreed. I had to endure them before the Pixies last year.... ugh..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pastel_Princess

Beastieboy wrote:

Humanzi?! My issue has Panic! At The Disco....

NME has been so crap lately, so has Hotpress for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

Ye just in town and saw panic at the haircut (four haircuts no talent) on the cover page.....looks like its just the uk one with NME Ireland written on the cover....flicked through and didn't see anything Irish......maybe the humanzi was some promo thing or the next issue or something......

• Advertisement

so basically you can get the one with the 4 haircuts & No talent Band on the cover or the one with the 4 haircuts , no talent & ugly band on the cover?? Thres defo an "IRISH" Nme although what that would consist of is beyond me -maybe they are doing a "daily mail" & trying to beat Hotpress at their own game which means more cringing tributes to THE FRAMES & U2 & stealing HP's sex line adverts revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 -Kosh-

Laughable if you ask me. The NME has always been ****e, and this will do nothing for the local scene.

I personally think that while Hotpress has its huge defects (looking at the most recent issue: the ****ing frames on the cover AGAIN???), it's miles better than the NME. I'm sorry, the NME appeals to boring ****s who think they know about music. At least Hotpress has some political commentary. Granted, it's not amazingly hard-hitting political commentary, but it's much less reactionary than most of the ****e you get in the mainstream Irish press...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

-Kosh- wrote:
    Laughable if you ask me. The NME has always been ****e, and this will do nothing for the local scene.

I personally think that while Hotpress has its huge defects (looking at the most recent issue: the ****ing frames on the cover AGAIN???), it's miles better than the NME. I'm sorry, the NME appeals to boring ****s who think they know about music. At least Hotpress has some political commentary. Granted, it's not amazingly hard-hitting political commentary, but it's much less reactionary than most of the ****e you get in the mainstream Irish press...

the few "Political" articles ive read in hotpress come accros like they were writin by Rik from the Young Ones

the few "Political" articles ive read in hotpress come accros like they were writin by Rik from the Young Ones

Yeah then somewhere else in the issue is a picture of the radical guy who wrote it at a "do" in the morrisson hotel/Lillies/Bono's place quaffing champagne with amanda brunker & some other hot press munters &/or minor celebs!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Don't like NME and why we need an irish one is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Heroin

*shudders* Humanzi are absolutluy dredful

hey! they are the best band from Ireland at the moment. and I include U2 in that. ****bags. Humanzi are a good band goin good places.

and to bluto63 , its so we can see whats goin on in the gigs and upcoming bands circuit in this country. ok , ill agree it seems pretty **** so far (we , the one with panic at the disco is anyways) but there isnt enough talent from Dublin , and the rest of the country , shown to the public excepet on really **** saturday morning shows , like sms or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Heroin wrote:
    hey! they are the best band from Ireland at the moment. and I include U2 in that. ****bags. Humanzi are a good band goin good places.

FCUK OFF. There a ball of Sh1te. They were the support act for Dirty Preety Things in the Ambasoder last month. Woefully bad. The only good thing I can see about them is that they are at least consitant in thae fact that there rubbish. If you geuinly belive that they are the hottest thing in Irerland at the moment I need to call round your house and pull you ears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pastel_Princess

Heroin wrote:

I've seen them twice (as a support band) and they are by far one of the worst bands I've ever seen in my entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

saw them at the foos and pixies supporting there,humanzi are cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Apparently humanzi only sold 500 copies of their debut in Ireland. They got one of the nastiest reviews I have ever seen writtien about an Irish band in the Irish Times a few weeks ago just a total hatchet job.

500 hundred copies woulda probably put them in the top 10 ?
    dont know much about the irish charts these days except the muck that I hear non stop on the radio in work.
    I do believe that Humanzi are poo i'm sure ive seen them
    I've seen thousands of shyte bands in my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

It was depressing to read their unintelligble commie writers and actually thinking people agreed with their nonsense.

Both NME and Hot Press are rubbish on the highest level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

There's already a horrendous, pointless, useless Irish music rag. it's called Hotpress. Surely we don't need NME joining them do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

NME has been dead since the end the 90's ...the focus on hype industry ..has killed it off ,,along with the explosion of WEB based content which has exposed us to the great music which the rest of the world has to offer. Outside of Hype.co.uk !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

crap left wing posturing + U2 worship + putting Westlife on the cover + coverage of woeful bands = Hot Press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

^ Don't forget the 'Sex o'clock news'!

So, to conclude, Hotpress is ****e. NME is ****e. Humanzi are ****e. Panic at the Disco are ****e. Mass marketed music magazines are ****e. NME Ireland will be ****e.

But, most of all, Humanzi are ****e. Seems reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 -Kosh-

I've rarely found HotPress's politics to be too posturing-like. I should know, I goddamn study issues like Politics and wrote a thesis regarding political sociology.

Then again I'm on the left side of the political spectrum so who am I to say eh? Probably an ignorant commie poser.

Anyways, we should start an independent music rag, who's with me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

So, to conclude, Hotpress is ****e. NME is ****e. Humanzi are ****e. Panic at the Disco are ****e. Mass marketed music magazines are ****e. NME Ireland will be ****e.

But, most of all, Humanzi are ****e. Seems reasonable.

True and humorous. And probably unreasonable. All the things I like.

What's the opinion on 'Q' magazine. I used to get it, but they're a bit worshipping of U2, Oasis, Nirvana and other cliché bands. They seem to endorse whatever gets airplay instead of what's good.......I'm not sure. Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I find Q much worse than NME. Although erratic in making up their mind, at least NME have an idea of what they like and don't like. Q is like the Rolling Stone on this side of the planet.

None of them are as bad as Hotpress though.

Advertisement