Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your religion and why is it the right one?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> [Scofflaw] I do know a couple of people who have personally met gods (in the form of
    > oracles), and they are people I consider reliable.

Can you describe their experiences in any detail? And why it is that you consider them reliable? I'm not saying they're not, I'd just like to understand your viewpoint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

robindch wrote:
    > [Scofflaw] I do know a couple of people who have personally met gods (in the form of
    > oracles), and they are people I consider reliable.

Can you describe their experiences in any detail? And why it is that you consider them reliable? I'm not saying they're not, I'd just like to understand your viewpoint :)

Most of them are anthropologists (thus, professional witnesses). My younger brother, in particular, whom I consider pretty reliable as a witness quite outside the professionalism of his chosen field.

The most vivid case in point was a (taped) session with a Tibetan oracle (actually a 40-year old Indian army officer) channelling a minor God (who used to be, I think, one of the abbots of the monastery my brother was staying at). A question had been asked on a point of history (my brother had been asking questions about the monastery's history, and the current abbot suggested they ask the god), and the oracle was replying in some detail. At one point he needed to write something down (in Old Tibetan), and my brother loaned the god his pen (ceremonially handed over on a cushion!). My brother has the privilege of having a god on tape thanking him for the loan of his pen. I have yet to listen to the tape, alas.

I have to consider the combination of a professional witness personally known to me as reliable with a tape as reasonably solid. Although I can think of plenty of other possible explanations for the phenomenon, I cannot a priori rule out the god explanation.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Scofflaw wrote:
    Although I can think of plenty of other possible explanations for the phenomenon, I cannot a priori rule out the god explanation.

So, the evidence is a man talking on a tape...?

Zillah wrote:

Er, no. The observation would be an Indian Army captain (that is, a non-Tibetan) speaking and writing Old Tibetan while in a trance, having detailed knowledge of the history of a Ladakhi monastery (the events in question being 16th-century, and checking out as far as historical research can cross-check), plus the generally accepted presence of a known god with specified characteristics. Standard mediumistic trance state, with the oracle himself apparently unaware during and after.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I am a Druid

I've been a Catholic, a Buddhist, I've also looked at Taoism, Wicca, Kabbalah, Islam, Zororasterism and Hinduism fairly extensively and I'd say they are all valid pathways to the divine.

I was always interested in Celtic culture and Wicca seemed to be the closest I could find to it when I was younger, but it didn't sit right with me - too much of a hybrid for my taste. Returning to paganism after many years of studying eastern mysticism I finally found some druids and decent books via a Wiccan High Priestess and I knew it was right for me although I have not thrown out what I have learnt elsewhere.

There is no right answer, only your own. To try and argue that the way I see divinity is more correct than some-one elses is as pointless as arguing that one shade of blue is better than another.

Joseph

ps. Zillah my sympathies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lets not get into interpersonal spats it is uncalled for and ungracious.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Lets not get into interpersonal spats it is uncalled for and ungracious.

I take it that this doesn't refer to this:
    Zillah wrote:

which I think is a very fair question, because in the absence of reliable witnesses that's exactly what the evidence amounts to. I should also rather put "talking incomprehensibly on a tape", assuming one doesn't speak Old Tibetan, which I don't. My brother, however, does.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Scofflaw wrote:
    I'm an alatrist, a neologism I had to coin to describe my position. I accept there may be gods, but will not worship them (alatrist=non-worshipper).

Functionally - I'm an atheist, at least in a Christian or Muslim country, since I definitely don't believe in Jehovah or Allah as per their descriptions.

Philosphically - I don't exclude the possibility of other gods/spirits/etc, which makes me agnostic, with a slight bias towards belief rather than disbelief. I do know a couple of people who have personally met gods (in the form of oracles), and they are people I consider reliable.

Spiritually - while I admit there may be gods, I am emotionally incapable (AFAIK) of bending the knee to any of them, except perhaps under directly delivered explicit personal threat of annihilation. I can entirely understand the joy of submission, both in Islam and Christianity, but I'm afraid it's not for me, thanks.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I am an alatrist like this but unlike Scofflaw, I am biased on the disbelief side, very far from a centre point.

Mmmm logic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Scofflaw wrote:
    Most of them are anthropologists (thus, professional witnesses). My younger brother, in particular, whom I consider pretty reliable as a witness quite outside the professionalism of his chosen field.
    <snip>

Great anecdote Scofflaw, I have no doubt regarding the authenticity of this story. In many ways it's very similar to the Seidh tradition of Northern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Scofflaw wrote:
    which I think is a very fair question, because in the absence of reliable witnesses that's exactly what the evidence amounts to.
    I would interject here and say that the concept of a God in Asian cultures, as opposed to the concept of a God in western cultures, is very different.

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote:
    I would interject here and say that the concept of a God in Asian cultures, as opposed to the concept of a God in western cultures, is very different.

Yes, I suspect a lot of our atheist posters (I include myself) are atheist specifically with respect to the Abrahamic gods. Gods as a different type of being, or beingness, I don't find so incomprehensible or as strikingly improbable.

The Abrahamic gods, aside from anything else, tend to be exclusivist and universalist to a degree not found elsewhere.

By the way, I should point out that I don't have an issue with giving respect to a god, or observing appropriate rituals, any more than I would for any other being.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Asiaprod wrote:

How do you see the two concepts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

How do you see the two concepts?

I'll take a stab at this one. From my somewhat limited experience of things asian, I believe the term god could be applied to any kind of spirit. You could for example have the god of a particular mountain, river, or perhaps even stream. I'm not sure what kind of 'power level' (for lack of a better term) would be required for the god term to be applied. As well as nature gods you could have gods of a particular city, village, region or one who dealt with a particular aspect of human (or supernatural) affairs.

Asiaprod will probably be able to describe it better, if indeed I am on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Zillah said:
    Do you realise that the vast majority of devout religious people, such as Hindus, Taoist and Muslims feel an identical sense of inner correctness? This deep, seemingly unfounded knowing of the truth is called faith and would appear to be uniform throughout the religious.
    An interesting point. I cannot say, as I came to Christ from a non-religious background. Do any of the non-Christian theists here have that inner certainty about the existence of their god? Or are they just going with what they think a likely option?

Either way, it does not make my claim false. It is true or it is not, whether others have similar experience or not. Indeed, the Bible teaches that many are seduced by evil spirits into following false gods. They would therefore have some sort of inner awareness of the spirit world.

Scofflaw's brother's experience could well be an example of genuine spiritual activity (as opposed to trickery in the cause of profit). The 'god' who possessed the Army officer was a demon, claiming to be an 'ascended master' or similar.
    What about the nature of man has convinced you of the existence of an almighty entity beyond reality?
    His marvellous complexity as a life-form; his self-awareness and conscience; his wickedness.
    The things you prayed for, could they have hypothetically occured anyway without divine intervention?
    Yes. Like I could win the lottery every week.
    Does God always answer your prayers, or just occasionally in what might seem like random chance to a disbeliever?
    Always answers, but not always with Yes. But, no, I doubt any rational man would be comfortable putting them down to random chance.
    Such as, do you mind my asking?
    The desolation but continuance of the Jewish nation. The extension of the Church to every nation and people. Those are two main ones.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Do any of the non-Christian theists here have that inner certainty about the existence of their god?

Gods, and yes. I've felt more as an asatruar than I ever did as a christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

wolfsbane wrote:
    Either way, it does not make my claim false.

Quite correct, but would it not put doubt in the validity of your own personal sense of inner correctness when you realise that lots of people who are wrong (in your opinion) use the exact same justification?

For example, there are ten people in a room. They all disagree on the correct answer to a question put to them. When arguing about it, one of them reveals that his answer came from a red envolope that he got from a friend earlier in the day. He trusts this friend and so believes the answer. It is then revealed that they all have the same friend, and that he gave them all a red envelop, and they are all answering the question based on what was in it.

Why do you trust what your red envelope says? Sure you trust the friend with your life up til now, but the situation you find yourself in should surely make you doubt it?
    It is true or it is not, whether others have similar experience or not. Indeed, the Bible teaches that many are seduced by evil spirits into following false gods. They would therefore have some sort of inner awareness of the spirit world.

Same situation. Most religions claim that the Gods of other religions are evil tricksters misleading them from the same path. What makes you so sure the Christian God isn't a trickster from the Hindu pantheon?
    His marvellous complexity as a life-form; his self-awareness and conscience; his wickedness.

Are you familiar with evolution? What about it is insufficient to explain these things? Its a well explored subject that has very excellent, well founded explanations for these aspects of a human being.
    Yes. Like I could win the lottery every week.

Is winning the lottery every week as statisically likely as the positive answers you've gotten from God? I find it unlikely.
    Always answers, but not always with Yes. But, no, I doubt any rational man would be comfortable putting them down to random chance.

I'm fairly rational and I'd probably put them down to chance. Of course I can't be sure unless you'd like to share the specifics.

I'd also observe that your logic appears to be a little bit circular. Wether God answers yes (by giving you what you want) or no (by not giving you what you want), you still take it as an answer. There is no way for a human being to tell if God answers or not, unless the universe stopped existing, as everything is answer of yes or no.
    The desolation but continuance of the Jewish nation. The extension of the Church to every nation and people. Those are two main ones.

You might have to lead me by the hand here a little bit, I'm not very familiar with biblical prophecies. Although I think its a bit of a stretch to say the Church has been spread to every nation and people. Christianity is a rather minor cult in most of Asia. The forms of Chrisitianity in Africa barely resemble what we'd consider Christianty. Even in the west there is massive division as to what the correct path is, there are literaly thousands of different sects, in the US especially there are a mind boggling amount of divergent forms, all claiming to be the right one.

As for the Jewish nation, surely the formation and success of Israel has kind of ruined that one? They're a rich and powerful nation that can launch military action against its neighbours with impunity. The Jewish nation is doing better than ever.

Zillah said:
    Quite correct, but would it not put doubt in the validity of your own personal sense of inner correctness when you realise that lots of people who are wrong (in your opinion) use the exact same justification?

For example, there are ten people in a room. They all disagree on the correct answer to a question put to them. When arguing about it, one of them reveals that his answer came from a red envolope that he got from a friend earlier in the day. He trusts this friend and so believes the answer. It is then revealed that they all have the same friend, and that he gave them all a red envelop, and they are all answering the question based on what was in it.

Why do you trust what your red envelope says? Sure you trust the friend with your life up til now, but the situation you find yourself in should surely make you doubt it?
    Not when it is confirmed by the other manifestations of His reality - the answered prayer, fulfilled prophecy that I have alluded to.
    Same situation. Most religions claim that the Gods of other religions are evil tricksters misleading them from the same path. What makes you so sure the Christian God isn't a trickster from the Hindu pantheon?
    As above. But in addition, I observe what is the effect of a sincere adherence to the beliefs of these other religions, and I see superstition, fear, immorality as characteristics. Not the characteristics of true Christianity;
    Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
    Ephesians 5:8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the Spirit[a]is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.
    Quote:

Are you familiar with evolution? What about it is insufficient to explain these things? Its a well explored subject that has very excellent, well founded explanations for these aspects of a human being.
    I am indeed familiar with evolution, and I see no credible account for either the complexity of life, conscience, or wickedness arising from it. For a wide-ranging, intense (and becoming repetitive) discussion see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=316566
    Is winning the lottery every week as statisically likely as the positive answers you've gotten from God? I find it unlikely.
    Let me put it less statistically: extremely unlikely many times. Beyond any reasonable likelihood.
    I'm fairly rational and I'd probably put them down to chance. Of course I can't be sure unless you'd like to share the specifics.
    They are very personal, so I'm sorry I can't say more.
    I'd also observe that your logic appears to be a little bit circular. Wether God answers yes (by giving you what you want) or no (by not giving you what you want), you still take it as an answer. There is no way for a human being to tell if God answers or not, unless the universe stopped existing, as everything is answer of yes or no.
    Not really. If all we got were common events - like our daily bread - then one could say it is no different than for the unbeliever. But when special providences come after our specific prayer for them, that is a definite answer. The 'no' answers are certainly not immediate evidence of God's intervention, but even they on hindsight often can be seen to be God's merciful denial of something that would have proved less helpful or even extremely harmful. The saying is true, Be careful what you pray for, in case you get it. :)
    You might have to lead me by the hand here a little bit, I'm not very familiar with biblical prophecies. Although I think its a bit of a stretch to say the Church has been spread to every nation and people. Christianity is a rather minor cult in most of Asia.
    Indeed. But it never was intended to be the majority faith:
    Matthew 7:13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
    The forms of Chrisitianity in Africa barely resemble what we'd consider Christianty.
    A lot of so-called Christianity throughout the world is bogus. But in every land there is a company of true believers. I personally know many such in Africa.
    Even in the west there is massive division as to what the correct path is, there are literaly thousands of different sects, in the US especially there are a mind boggling amount of divergent forms, all claiming to be the right one.
    As I said, there is much false Christianity. But many of the sects/denominations do not claim to be the exclusive holders of the gospel - they confess they are just part of the world-wide body of true believers in Jesus Christ. Many denominations represented, but one True Church. For instance, in my town there are at least five denominations that are solidly Evangelical, and several more that are partly composed of Evangelicals.
    As for the Jewish nation, surely the formation and success of Israel has kind of ruined that one? They're a rich and powerful nation that can launch military action against its neighbours with impunity. The Jewish nation is doing better than ever.
    Yes, but I was speaking of its history, some 2000 years of exile. The Bible speaks of that ending toward the Last Day:
    Luke 21:24 And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

I'm looking for the conversion of the nation to Christ, as the Bible also confirms for the End:
    Romans 11: 25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written:

“ The Deliverer will come out of Zion,
    And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
    27 For this is My covenant with them,
    When I take away their sins.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yechidah

Asiaprod wrote:
    Wow, I have always wanted to meet a Gnostic, I am thrilled. When I left Christianity and be came a Buddhist, I carried certain pangs of leaving the religon with me. It was not till I took an interest in Gnosticism that I could finally cut those final bonds.

Glad to meet you :)

I haven't found many people interested in Gnosticism yet, so the more the merrier, as they say.

I've always likened Gnosticism to be the "Buddhism of the West", and uphold a strong respect for the Eastern variant. Indeed, there are so many similiarities between the two (bar the distinct mythologies, which are still relatively analogous) that I feel portions of each can be used interchangeable where applicable.

I would love to learn more about Buddhism from a practicing follower, so if you are interested, I'd like to continue this discussion off-forum (i.e. MSN, etc.) :)

LLLSHJ,
    Yechidah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Yechidah wrote:
    I would love to learn more about Buddhism from a practicing follower, so if you are interested, I'd like to continue this discussion off-forum (i.e. MSN, etc.) :)

LLLSHJ,
    Yechidah.

Please do, since I live half way around the world PMs are probably best for now. So many ting to talk about, I too see many parallels with Buddhism. If you have time do join us in the Buddhism Forum, I am sure many more of the friends of Buddhism will have lots to ask.
    Thanks for the reply.

wolfsbane wrote:
    I observe what is the effect of a sincere adherence to the beliefs of these other religions, and I see superstition, fear, immorality as characteristics.

I could see those words applied equally validly to christianity though. Haven't we seen on the christianity forum fear of that god being refered to as a postive thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am a practicing liberal catholic but in the end of the day as long as peolpe try their hardest to be good and help people and the environment be they whatever religion or non-religion they are I think that the God who will judge us at the end will be happy.

My family history has Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and that is just 3 generations, my best friend is currently a Buddest and I love him more than life itself, while I am the religion I am and I believe in prayer I do not think that it really matters. Maybe I am mixed up but who cares. I believe in the good in people. If anyone could get a description for a name for my beliefs that would be cool.

hairyheretic said:
    I could see those words applied equally validly to christianity though. Haven't we seen on the christianity forum fear of that god being refered to as a postive thing?
    If I may use an earthly analogy: It is the differnece between fearing the local hoods, and fearing a just and helpful police force. The fear and respect that the latter should inspire is good and keeps us from doing evil. The fear of the former makes life a misery at times. So with the heathen gods - depending on the depth of belief, folk are oppressed by fear and the need to appease the tyrant.

The God of the Bible brings us to life and light, to freedom to do good and cast our worries on Him, for He cares for us.

wolfsbane wrote:
    If I may use an earthly analogy: It is the differnece between fearing the local hoods, and fearing a just and helpful police force.

Still doesn't really work (for me at least). If your police force is just and helpfull, why should you need to fear them?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The fear and respect that the latter should inspire is good and keeps us from doing evil. The fear of the former makes life a misery at times. So with the heathen gods - depending on the depth of belief, folk are oppressed by fear and the need to appease the tyrant.

You seem to have a rather bizarre idea of others beliefs here. I honour my gods ... they do not require fear from me, and would be against trying to instill that in me.

I would say the same of other people I know, and their gods. I can't think of any who would call their deities a tyrant.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    The God of the Bible brings us to life and light, to freedom to do good and cast our worries on Him, for He cares for us.

Do you believe that it is only through fear of your god, or the prospect of punishment that you do good? That seems to me to be what you're implying here.

hairyheretic said:
    Still doesn't really work (for me at least). If your police force is just and helpfull, why should you need to fear them?
    Because of the capacity we still have to break the laws. You don't keep an eye on your speedo? Never tempted to falsify your tax-return? To silence some obnoxious prat with a good hiding?

So too with sin; temptations abound and part of the means God uses to keep us from sin are the consequences He will bring upon us.
    You seem to have a rather bizarre idea of others beliefs here. I honour my gods ... they do not require fear from me, and would be against trying to instill that in me.
    I don't know your gods, but I do know that many folk live in fear of their local deities, bringing them sacrifices and offerings, living in fear of the power of malignant spirits and witch-doctors who contact them.

Of course, not all false religion has this sort of oppression, as man can invent very accommodating deities too. Liberal Christianity is an example: believe and practice what you want, as long as it hurts no one. But the question does need asking in these cases: Does such a person really believe in this god (however mistakenly), or is their religion just an intellectual cloak for doing their own thing?
    Do you believe that it is only through fear of your god, or the prospect of punishment that you do good? That seems to me to be what you're implying here.
    No, fear of the consequences is only a part. The bigger part, for the Christian, is our desire to please Him because we love Him.

wolfsbane wrote:
    Because of the capacity we still have to break the laws.

Breaking the law is a choice (generally speaking). You have weighed up the pros and cons and made the choice to break the law.

It may be that you thought it was necessary to do so ... depends on the circumstances.

The choice was yours though, so you need to take responsibility for the consequences of your choice.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    You don't keep an eye on your speedo? Never tempted to falsify your tax-return? To silence some obnoxious prat with a good hiding?

Tempted ... at times. Actually done it, nope.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    So too with sin; temptations abound and part of the means God uses to keep us from sin are the consequences He will bring upon us.

Every action has its consequences. What my beliefs teach is that you make the choice on whether or not to do something. If you decide to do it, make sure you're prepared to deal with the consequences.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I don't know your gods, but I do know that many folk live in fear of their local deities, bringing them sacrifices and offerings, living in fear of the power of malignant spirits and witch-doctors who contact them.

But you say fearing your own god is a good thing. How is that any different? I know of christians who have a great fear of physical / spiritual attacks by demons. Sounds pretty much the same as you're describing.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Of course, not all false religion has this sort of oppression, as man can invent very accommodating deities too. Liberal Christianity is an example: believe and practice what you want, as long as it hurts no one. But the question does need asking in these cases: Does such a person really believe in this god (however mistakenly), or is their religion just an intellectual cloak for doing their own thing?

I can't speak for what others believe, but "believe and practice what you want, as long as it hurts no one" that doesn't sound too bad a way to live to me, involvement of gods or otherwise.

Oh, and labeling everyone elses beliefs is 'false religion' is just a tad arrogant. Would you like it if people said your beliefs were false?

hairyheretic said:
    Breaking the law is a choice (generally speaking). You have weighed up the pros and cons and made the choice to break the law.

It may be that you thought it was necessary to do so ... depends on the circumstances.

The choice was yours though, so you need to take responsibility for the consequences of your choice.
    So you think one can rob a bank and not fear the consequences? Taking responsibility for the consequences is one thing, not fearing them is another. Only a fool is happy about disaster.
    Tempted ... at times. Actually done it, nope.
    Was fear of the consequences, or of offending someone you loved, not part of the reason you restrained yourself?
    But you say fearing your own god is a good thing. How is that any different?
    Fear of just punishment of our sins is a good thing, not least because it keeps us doing what is good. Fear of unjust punishment, rather unjust punishers, is a bad thing as it keeps us from doing good and enjoying the good things God has given us.
    I know of christians who have a great fear of physical / spiritual attacks by demons. Sounds pretty much the same as you're describing.
    It is indeed the same thing. Just shows how foolish these Christians are in not embracing the teachings of the Lord:
    Luke 12:4 “And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!
    I can't speak for what others believe, but "believe and practice what you want, as long as it hurts no one" that doesn't sound too bad a way to live to me, involvement of gods or otherwise.
    It is certainly better than doing what you want regardless of others. But my point was that those holding to that philosophy cannot sincerely claim to be Christian.
    Oh, and labeling everyone elses beliefs is 'false religion' is just a tad arrogant. Would you like it if people said your beliefs were false?
    I would expect them to, if they had any sense. That is the nature of religion - only one can be right, therefore the rest must be wrong. The Atheist/Theist, Hindu/Moslem/Christian cannot all be correct.

wolfsbane wrote:
    So you think one can rob a bank and not fear the consequences? Taking responsibility for the consequences is one thing, not fearing them is another. Only a fool is happy about disaster.

I would hazard a guess that ban robbers fall into one of two catagories. Either those who are desperate enough that the risk of failure and jail is no worse than the situation they are currently in, or the 'professional' criminal who reckons the odds are in their favour for getting away with it.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Was fear of the consequences, or of offending someone you loved, not part of the reason you restrained yourself?

Because my actions (smacking someone), while satisfying at the time, would be an over the top response. I could amuse myself by thinking about it, but I would not engage in violence unless my safety, or that of those I care about, would be threatened.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    Fear of just punishment of our sins is a good thing, not least because it keeps us doing what is good. Fear of unjust punishment, rather unjust punishers, is a bad thing as it keeps us from doing good and enjoying the good things God has given us.

The problem then becomes the definition of 'right' and 'wrong'. Everyone is going to have their own oppinions on this.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    It is certainly better than doing what you want regardless of others. But my point was that those holding to that philosophy cannot sincerely claim to be Christian.

Why not? If someone believes that, but also believes in Jesus, are they not a christian?
    wolfsbane wrote:
    I would expect them to, if they had any sense. That is the nature of religion - only one can be right, therefore the rest must be wrong. The Atheist/Theist, Hindu/Moslem/Christian cannot all be correct.

*shrugs* My world view allows for the existance of many Gods / Goddesses .. my own and others .. even yours ;)

wolfsbane wrote:

I think christainity is wrong,
    for me.

It may not be for you and you are certainly wrong to assume that other people feel the way you do in reguards to thier religion or spiritual beliefs.

Out of all those you have mentioned I only think the Atheists are wrong,
    I believe in my Gods and that there are other gods out there that are not mine and thier followers have to find and honour the right way to worship thier own gods and I will strive to follow my mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What are your gods, Thaedydal?

• Advertisement

I am a pagan and my Gods are those of this land, mostly what would be refered to incorrectly as Celtic.
    I do have interactions with other gods and would acknowledge them as such and respect other's right to worship who and as they wish.

Advertisement