Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seperating The Dogma from the Truth!

Options
  • 16-10-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

As someone who is still looking to expel un-truths, I wanted to raise this issue with the Christians on the forum to discuss the following issues with an agenda to expelling Dogma from fact.

1. The Trinity. My standing on this is clear for me. Jesus is seperate from God, they are in union, but different beings. It also grieves me that people have said if you don't accept the trinity doctrine, you don't accept Christ. Something I wholeheartedly do.

2. Hellfire. My standing is that this is an untruth, as it contradicts Gods personality.

3. The bible being the word of God. My standing at the moment is that it contains Gods words i.e. the ten commandments and the prophets visions etc, but as a whole is not 'the word of god' like for example a muslim would call the quaran the word of god. I can accept inspired by God, or being guided to a degree, put, calling God the author of all scripture, don't know about that?

I'm sure there is more than this, but if we could stick to these 3 for the time being. I know that you could have a forum for each of these and there has been for some, but I'm looking to collate the debate to here. Looking forward to your posts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

JimiTime said:
    As someone who is still looking to expel un-truths, I wanted to raise this issue with the Christians on the forum to discuss the following issues with an agenda to expelling Dogma from fact.
    A worthy objective! May the Lord open our eyes to His truth.
    1. The Trinity. My standing on this is clear for me. Jesus is seperate from God, they are in union, but different beings. It also grieves me that people have said if you don't accept the trinity doctrine, you don't accept Christ. Something I wholeheartedly do.
    We need to make sure we understand exactly what we are saying, before we can judge that against Scripture. For example, does different beings mean different persons? If so, this is what Trinitarians believe.

But the crux of your objection may lie in your understanding of the term God. If it refers only to the Father, then Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not God. It is the contention of Trinitarians that Scripture reveals both to be God, in addition to the Father. Three persons, one God; each God and all God. The Scriptures I referred to on the other thread show that to be the case; any denial of this must offer a credible counter-explanation of these texts.

From the other thread:
    I've tried to find in your posts exactly what you understand of the nature of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, but I'm confused.
    Is Christ eternallly co-existent with the Father, or was He created?
    Likewise with the Holy Spirit.
    Are they the 'us' in whose image man was created?

I think you agree they are three separate persons. The doctrine of the Trinity says they are three separate persons united as One God, eternally co-existent. Not three gods; not one person; but three persons as one God. Please specify what you find wrong about that.

What then do you feel the Scriptures as a whole reveal about the nature of the deity?

2. Hellfire. My standing is that this is an untruth, as it contradicts Gods personality.
    The same applies to this doctrine. The many texts that teach eternal punishment have to be explained if a denial of Hellfire is to be upheld. We cannot just appeal to what we think God's mind on wickedness should be. Indeed, from the severity of His judgements on sinners throughout the Bible, one could rightly be surprised He spares so many eternally.
    3. The bible being the word of God. My standing at the moment is that it contains Gods words i.e. the ten commandments and the prophets visions etc, but as a whole is not 'the word of god' like for example a muslim would call the quaran the word of god. I can accept inspired by God, or being guided to a degree, put, calling God the author of all scripture, don't know about that?
    The objection to the Scripture as the infallible, inerrant word of God must explain those texts that declare it to be so.

From the other thread:
    What then did Christ mean when He said 'The Scripture cannot be broken'? How can the words of mere men be inerrant and infallible?

Yes, the Mosaic law is the word of God. It was holy and just and good. But it was temporary, it served its purpose and was fulfilled and abolished by Christ. Its commands no longer apply.
    The lineages of Matthew and Luke do not conflict. They are separate lineages, establishing Christ's link to David, Abraham and Adam, and so to His right to inherit the promises and to represent us before His Father.

If the Scripture is in error in anything it asserts, it is indeed broken and none of it can be relied upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

My (limited) understand of the Christian faith is that God is the "thing" (for want of a better term) that one prays to. You don't pray to saints or the Pope for example, but you can ask them to pray for you.

So the question is do you pray to Jesus (he is therefore "God"), or does Jesus pray to the Father for you (he is therefore seperate from "God").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

Wicknight wrote:
    My (limited) understand of the Christian faith is that God is the "thing" (for want of a better term) that one prays to. You don't pray to saints or the Pope for example, but you can ask them to pray for you.

So the question is do you pray to Jesus (he is therefore "God"), or does Jesus pray to the Father for you (he is therefore seperate from "God").

or does Jesus pray to God for himself (he is therefore not only separate from God but also a creature and therefore not The Creator)

Wicknight wrote:

You might wana use word deity?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Hi Wolfsbane, just in reply to your comments on the evidence of miricles in the bible thread.

To explain the relationship between God, Jesus and The holy spirit. Heres my reasoning.

God YHWH, is the sovreign lord of the universe. The creator, the all powerful. His only begotton son is Jesus. Jesus was the only being directly begotton of God. All other creation came through Jesus, as John points out. Jesus gives glory to The Father. He prays to The Father, he talks to the father. He tells us that The Father will place his enemies beneath his feet, and give him kingship for a time, i.e. The Father grants it him, as the Father is God, he is not. He does not seek worship for himself. He always claims to be the son, and never claims to be God. He claims to have a oneness with God, but never says that they are the same. If you recall when describing marriage, he said a man and woman become one flesh, obviously this is not physically the case but rather symbolic of a closeness.

The Holy spirit, is a different prospect for me, in that I'm still open to what exactly it is. At present, I would see that the holy spirit is part of god as its referred to as Gods Holy Spirit. Maybe you could give some insight here.

• Advertisement

wolfsbane wrote:
    If the Scripture is in error in anything it asserts, it is indeed broken and none of it can be relied upon.

That is not very logical position.

The Bible is a representation of events, a window if you will, written by men.

Take for example a biography of Michael Collins. If the biograph gets aspects incorrect of the life of Collins, does that mean that Collins didn't exist or that the whole book it wrong or that the whole thing was made up?

I mean, I'm an atheist so I don't believe any of the Bible is the literal word of God. That doesn't mean I dimiss the entire book as having no value, or absolutely no accuracy.

I never understood the logic used by people who take the Bible literally. Most of my Christian friends don't, anymore than they take something like the Qur'an literally. That doesn't mean they believe Mohammad was just made up.

Wicknight said:
    Good question. But the answer is both. With Thomas we can refer to Jesus as Deity:
    John 20:27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
    28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

and with Stephen we can petition Him,
    Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen as he was calling on God and saying, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not charge them with this sin.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Jesus is both God and man. God the Father therefore His God too. So Jesus as our Mediator and High Priest represents us before His Father. His great prayer recorded in John 17 is an example of that.

JimiTime wrote:
    Hi Wolfsbane, just in reply to your comments on the evidence of miricles in the bible thread.

To explain the relationship between God, Jesus and The holy spirit. Heres my reasoning.

God YHWH, is the sovreign lord of the universe. The creator, the all powerful. His only begotton son is Jesus. Jesus was the only being directly begotton of God. All other creation came through Jesus, as John points out. Jesus gives glory to The Father. He prays to The Father, he talks to the father. He tells us that The Father will place his enemies beneath his feet, and give him kingship for a time, i.e. The Father grants it him, as the Father is God, he is not. He does not seek worship for himself. He always claims to be the son, and never claims to be God. He claims to have a oneness with God, but never says that they are the same. If you recall when describing marriage, he said a man and woman become one flesh, obviously this is not physically the case but rather symbolic of a closeness.

The Holy spirit, is a different prospect for me, in that I'm still open to what exactly it is. At present, I would see that the holy spirit is part of god as its referred to as Gods Holy Spirit. Maybe you could give some insight here.

If I understand your post correctly, then Jesus is not God, no way, but merely His creature. Correct? Or not?

BTW, when you say begotten what exactly do you mean? Or should I say how exactly? If Jesus is begotten, then he must be divine. But only God is The Divine. So it appears that you are heavily contradicting yourself.

Please explain what kinda being Jesus really is.

babyvaio wrote:
    You might wana use word deity?
    :D

that is the word I was looking for

wolfsbane wrote:
    Good question. But the answer is both.

That would imply that, while he can act independently (as much as anything can act independently from God), Jesus is still God.

• Advertisement

I also have a tiny question for those who believe there is The Creator.

If Jesus is God (what some claim), then shouldn't he also be The Creator of the Heavens and the Earth?

Please show me where does it say that Jesus created something/someone.

Wicknight said:
    Take for example a biography of Michael Collins. If the biograph gets aspects incorrect of the life of Collins, does that mean that Collins didn't exist or that the whole book it wrong or that the whole thing was made up?

I mean, I'm an atheist so I don't believe any of the Bible is the literal word of God. That doesn't mean I dimiss the entire book as having no value, or absolutely no accuracy.
    The problem then comes in knowing which bits are true. That's not a problem with the life of Michael Collins: it doesn't really make a difference to us whether he said or done this or that as the history claims. People acted on what they believed and life moved on.

But if I am to stake my eternal welfare on something, I need to know it is true. Even in this life, if I am to make choices that are pleasing to God, I need to know what His will is.

Am I to avenge myself on those who wrong me? Am I to eat with sinners? Am I to make an image of God and worship it? May I worship angels? May I have more than one wife at a time? Etc. Do I just pick and choose from the Bible what I think is true and ignore the rest? How do I tell what is true and false in the Bible?

Seems to me the sensible thing is to accept it all for what it claims to be - the inerrant, infallible word of God, or to reduce it to the opinions of men.

babyvaio wrote:

If Jesus is God (what some claim), then shouldn't he also be The Creator of the Heavens and the Earth?

I suppose one way of thinking about the trinity is the idea of a family.

When you talk of an individual in a family you can discuss what they did, but you can also talk of the family as a whole, in the context of what the whole family did. This context will be quite similar to the context as if you were talking about what an individual does. For example the statement "Pat O'Toole walked to Clare" is very similar to the statement "The O'Toole family walked to Clare".

The same is true of God (if one accepts the trinity). God can be thought of as an individual or a collection, and can act in the same capacity as an individual or as seperate entities acting as an individual.

He is after all God. If He can exist forever outside of space and time the idea that He is an individual entity as we would think of individualism is not necessary.

God I'm beginning to sound like a theist ... I feel so dirty :p

wolfsbane wrote:
    Wicknight said:

The problem then comes in knowing which bits are true. That's not a problem with the life of Michael Collins: it doesn't really make a difference to us whether he said or done this or that as the history claims. People acted on what they believed and life moved on.

But if I am to stake my eternal welfare on something, I need to know it is true. Even in this life, if I am to make choices that are pleasing to God, I need to know what His will is.

Am I to avenge myself on those who wrong me? Am I to eat with sinners? Am I to make an image of God and worship it? May I worship angels? May I have more than one wife at a time? Etc. Do I just pick and choose from the Bible what I think is true and ignore the rest? How do I tell what is true and false in the Bible?

Seems to me the sensible thing is to accept it all for what it claims to be - the inerrant, infallible word of God, or to reduce it to the opinions of men.

You statements are very honest and sincere. I agree with you that if you are to accept the word of God, then you accept it completely, not only passages which maybe suit you. The problem is that the Bible, as it is today, is not direct word of God as a whole, although it maybe contains some of His words. God knows best!

wolfsbane wrote:
    JimiTime said:

A worthy objective! May the Lord open our eyes to His truth.

Amen
    The same applies to this doctrine. The many texts that teach eternal punishment have to be explained if a denial of Hellfire is to be upheld. We cannot just appeal to what we think God's mind on wickedness should be. Indeed, from the severity of His judgements on sinners throughout the Bible, one could rightly be surprised He spares so many eternally.

OK, here is a radical view for some maybe. But instead of taking certain scriptures as an 'evidence' of a certain doctrine. If we are to take scripture as a whole, as an insight into Gods personality, alot more becomes evident in my experience. If you recall the pharisees even adhered to scriptures but lost the meaning. How did they lose the meaning, because they used it as a rulebook rather than shall we say, an insight into the creator. If I may use an example, 'If I'm taliking to a friend and say, I hate Chinese, they know I'm not a racist and therefore I am most likely talking about food. Someone else who doesn't know me may think I'm saying I hate chinese people. Its probablya very simplistic (bad even) analagy to make, but I think it puts my point across ok?
    The objection to the Scripture as the infallible, inerrant word of God must explain those texts that declare it to be so.

Sorry to be ignorant to this Wolfsbane, but could you tell me where I find thse scriptures. Thanks.
    What then did Christ mean when He said 'The Scripture cannot be broken'? How can the words of mere men be inerrant and infallible?

As above, could you tell me where to find that so that I may check its context. Thanks again.
    Yes, the Mosaic law is the word of God. It was holy and just and good. But it was temporary, it served its purpose and was fulfilled and abolished by Christ. Its commands no longer apply.

But Christ refers to it as Moses' guide, in that in talking of divorce said that 'Moses' granted you divorce, and then went on to correct that by saying that only in fornication you have the right to divorce.
    The lineages of Matthew and Luke do not conflict. They are separate lineages, establishing Christ's link to David, Abraham and Adam, and so to His right to inherit the promises and to represent us before His Father.

What do you mean seperate lineages? they go from Joseph back. How is that a seperate lineage?

This is the bit that worries me. Paul gives his opinion in parts, and says it so. When he says,' this is my opinion' how is that the word of God. As a man Wise in God, I would remark that his opinion is most likely the correct one, but not 'The Word of God'.
    I think the Bible acts as our testiment for the true God and gives us his prophesies and his personality. It also gives us the message in Salvation in God through Christ. I do not want to lessen its importance, but as I said, does it have to be the word of God in order for you to have faith in him?

wolfsbane wrote:
    The problem then comes in knowing which bits are true.
    But JimiTime doesn't seem to have any problem knowing which bits are true or not.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    But if I am to stake my eternal welfare on something, I need to know it is true.
    But you don't know the Bible is true to begin with. Nothing external tells you that the Bible is true.

You see it becomes a circle. Eventually at some point you have to base something on simple faith, be that the belief that the Bible is all true or just that some parts of it are true.

There isn't a difference between you deciding that the whole Bible is the literal word of God and JimiTime deciding that some points are the literal word of God but not others. It is just a matter of what you choose to believe.
    wolfsbane wrote:
    How do I tell what is true and false in the Bible?
    The same way you tell that any or all of the the Bible is true to begin with.
    wolfsbane wrote:

I suppose that is the "safer than sorry" option. But then again this is just a choice you make. You choose to believe that all of it is the word of God. Jimi choose that some parts are and some aren't. Really there is not a lot of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'm curious about your very differentiation of "dogma" and "truth". Dogma means those things that are agreed upon within a particular worldview (religious or otherwise) as being the way things are - that is, what is maintained as truths.

To avoid dogma means to avoid stating anything as fact; to allow disagreement on a matter within the religious community in question. Since you are putting forth truths of your own in such a manner that you are not merely stating "this is how it seems to me" but "this is how it is" then you are in fact putting forth dogmas, their heterodoxy doesn't make them any less so.
    JimiTime wrote:
    The bible being the word of God. My standing at the moment is that it contains Gods words i.e. the ten commandments and the prophets visions etc, but as a whole is not 'the word of god' like for example a muslim would call the quaran the word of god. I can accept inspired by God, or being guided to a degree, put, calling God the author of all scripture, don't know about that?

I've always been interested in this question. The Qur'an as you say is claimed quite definitively as the word of God, having been given directly to the Prophet Mohammed by the angel Gabriel. Liber Al vel Legis would be another example of a directly revealed scripture from outside of the Judeo-Christian-Islamic tradition.

Roman Catholic Catecism, martyrologies, bulls, edicts, works of theological scholarship, Books of Shadows, the writings of Confucius, the Tao Te Ching, and mythological accounts the Eddas and the Irish Cycles are all examples of books which are the writings of fallible human beings striving to record truth, reach at truth, or merely say "this is what we do" and leaving the why and what to something else. They may or may not be seen as "holy", and they may claim certain passages were the words of a deity, but they aren't revealed scripture as such.

The Bible is in an intersting position in this regard because the religious community that holds it sacred disagree within themselves as to just where it sits between the polls of the completely infallible word of God in some Christian's opinion (what "Christian Fundamentalist" literally means, though it has come to have nuances beyond that), the completely fallible striving towards truth of fellow believer's in some other Christian's opinion, and differing positions in between, such as the idea that it is inspired by the Truth (with a big T) and by God, but still through the vehicle of fallible authors and editors. Looking at this difference from outside of the Christian community I think that difference is probably always going to be there to some extent.
    Wicknight wrote:
    Though such a request to a saint is itself a prayer, and the question of whether one can pray to a saint or not is one of the disagreements that exists between different Christian denominations. They all agree that saints are not worshipped, only God is, (though members of some denominations have accused others of worshipping saints, due to disagreements on just what consitutes an act of worship).

JimiTime said:
    God YHWH, is the sovreign lord of the universe. The creator, the all powerful.
    Agreed. But is He only the Father? Is He not the plurality that said in Genesis 1 Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness?

Is this plurality not revealed in Hebrews 1 when God says of His Son, Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
    A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.

and
    You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
    And the heavens are the work of Your hands.
    The latter quotation is from Psalm 102 and there the context makes it plain that it speaks of YHWH.
    His only begotton son is Jesus. Jesus was the only being directly begotton of God.
    Correct, but the question is does begotten mean created?
    All other creation came through Jesus, as John points out.
    Correct.
    Jesus gives glory to The Father. He prays to The Father, he talks to the father. He tells us that The Father will place his enemies beneath his feet, and give him kingship for a time, i.e.
    And such we expect from a Father/Son relationship.
    The Father grants it him, as the Father is God, he is not.
    That is a leap of logic. Does it not mean rather that the Father is the Father, and Jesus is not?
    He does not seek worship for himself.
    What about Thomas, for example? Where was the rebuke for this blasphemy, if Jesus is not God? When the apostles were given worship, they tore their clothes and ran about trying to stop it. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=14&verse=13&end_verse=15&version=50&context=context
    He always claims to be the son, and never claims to be God. He claims to have a oneness with God, but never says that they are the same.
    When he claims the same titles, does this not mean the same? http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=alpha%20and%20omega&version1=50&searchtype=all
    You are right, even if your terminology is a bit off. The Holy Spirit is part of the Godhead, but is fully God. Jesus told us that all blasphemies could be forgiven, except those against the Holy Spirit. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%203:28-30%20;&version=50;
    That reveals the Spirit's deity, but also His separateness from the Father and Son as a person, for He alone is singled out here.

Just to clarify something that seems to be cropping up. I am saying that the bible is not 'the word of god'. I am not saying however I nit pick what I believe true or false in it. I find alot of the contentions that people have with it such as the lineage of Jesus account is not very significant anyway, but it becomes significant if its argued that it is the actual word of god. Just because I'm saying its not the 'word of god' does not mean that I see it as un-true. Its message rings true in any case. I am contending that it actually does not say it is the word of god, and I've asked if there are any scriptures that do.

Wicknight said:
    That would imply that, while he can act independently (as much as anything can act independently from God), Jesus is still God.
    Bingo! :D

• Advertisement

babyvaio said:

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

Hebrews 1:2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;

Wicknight said:
    I suppose one way of thinking about the trinity is the idea of a family.

When you talk of an individual in a family you can discuss what they did, but you can also talk of the family as a whole, in the context of what the whole family did. This context will be quite similar to the context as if you were talking about what an individual does. For example the statement "Pat O'Toole walked to Clare" is very similar to the statement "The O'Toole family walked to Clare".

The same is true of God (if one accepts the trinity). God can be thought of as an individual or a collection, and can act in the same capacity as an individual or as seperate entities acting as an individual.

He is after all God. If He can exist forever outside of space and time the idea that He is an individual entity as we would think of individualism is not necessary.
    Bingo, again! :):):)
    God I'm beginning to sound like a theist ... I feel so dirty
    Saul of Tarsus had similar trouble: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=9&verse=4&end_verse=6&version=50&context=context

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> I also have a tiny question for those who believe there is The Creator.
    > Hebrews 1:2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He
    > has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;

Sorry guys, but I have to ask this question of you both:

Have you ever considered that uncritically believing every story written down in in two old books may cause you to have an unreaslistic view of the world?

wolfsbane wrote:
    JimiTime said:

Agreed. But is He only the Father? Is He not the plurality that said in Genesis 1 Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness?

but the question is does begotten mean created?

Yes is what I would say. Firstly let us deal with begotten. To cause to exist. If we take it that everything but the son came into existence from The Father through The Son, Jesus is unique, in that he was the only thing directly created by God. Thus when in Genesis he says, we will make man in our image, he is talking to The Son as the Son had been beggotten before creation of the world began, and through him the world was created.
    Is this plurality not revealed in Hebrews 1 when God says of His Son, Your throne, O God, is forever and ever;
    A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.

and
    You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
    And the heavens are the work of Your hands.
    The latter quotation is from Psalm 102 and there the context makes it plain that it speaks of YHWH.

Have you not taken the scripture out of context here? Leading up to that scripture, it says that, god has 'given' him a place above all the angels as he has 'given' him a greater name. All the time, there is a greater authority than The Son. If you then take the scripture that you quoted, I would look into the translation of the word god etc, because by the surrouding text he's clearly saying that The Father is greater than he.
    When he claims the same titles, does this not mean the same?

The following is the start of A Revelation to John:

1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John, 2 who bore witness to the word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw. 3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.

Does this not say that, he was passing on Gods Word to his servants. He is 'The Word of God' afterall?
    You are right, even if your terminology is a bit off. The Holy Spirit is part of the Godhead, but is fully God. Jesus told us that all blasphemies could be forgiven, except those against the Holy Spirit. That reveals the Spirit's deity, but also His separateness from the Father and Son as a person, for He alone is singled out here.

It could be said here however, why is it that blasphemy against the Son is forgiven, but blasphemy against Gods Holy Spirit is not, if they all have equal standing? or do you believe The Father is greater than the Son? If so how are they both part of a trinitarian Godhead? As far as Holy Spirit goes, I can see that almost like, Gods personality and power, but I find this falls short of proper meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

JimiTime wrote:

I'm sure there is more than this, but if we could stick to these 3 for the time being. I know that you could have a forum for each of these and there has been for some, but I'm looking to collate the debate to here. Looking forward to your posts.

What you're effectively saying here is that you want to build your own religion? Yes, that's great, but we know there's a slight problem. With what authority can you concoct your own religion, get yourself crucified and rise on the third day...

gallery-build.jpg

babyvaio said:
    You statements are very honest and sincere. I agree with you that if you are to accept the word of God, then you accept it completely, not only passages which maybe suit you. The problem is that the Bible, as it is today, is not direct word of God as a whole, although it maybe contains some of His words. God knows best!
    Thank you for your kind words.

Why do you think the Bible is not God's word? Christians hold it to be the word He inspired various men to write. We do not have the original manuscripts but we have sufficient copies from which to collate all that He intended for us to have. His message has been preserved intact. I take it you believe there are originals in existence and that these contradict some of the Bible we have today. Can you tell us where these are, how they were preserved, and their history?

Cantab. wrote:
    What you're effectively saying here is that you want to build your own religion? Yes, that's great, but we know there's a slight problem. With what authority can you concoct your own religion, get yourself crucified and rise on the third day...

This is the attitude I'm trying to erradicate from myself. A sleepy yes man who feels that to question doctrine is to question your very faith. I certainly do not want to establish a religion, I am seeking answers for myself. The comment you make is both ignorant and un-becoming of a Christian if thats what you are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

JimiTime wrote:
    This is the attitude I'm trying to erradicate from myself. A sleepy yes man who feels that to question doctrine is to question your very faith. I certainly do not want to establish a religion, I am seeking answers for myself. The comment you make is both ignorant and un-becoming of a Christian if thats what you are!

Don't you see the irony in your use of the word "ignorant"? AFAIC, there's one truth - that of the Catholic Church. You seek to come up with your own version of what the truth is. Fine, but who are you? Are you a world-reknowned theologian? People have spent their whole lives in the quest for the truth and institutions have been around for centuries (i.e. the Pope, and his Cardinals and Bishops). You come along, as an individual in 2006, and start asking the same old questions that have long-since been discussed and thought-out to death because you seem to somehow know better than everyone else. What is this new knowledge that you have come across all of a sudden? My advice to you is to stop, think, pray and do everything you can so as to love God (i.e. don't offend Him by seeking to undermine Him and his apostles on earth).

There comes a time my friend, especially when someone seeks to question the Holy Trinity, Hell and the Holy Bible, that you need to be told that you are in fact (should you persist in your meanderings), but a heretic. Go and preach your new ideas from the comfort of crawling on your belly, but don't accuse me of being "unchristian" for pointing out your evil errors.

This should be fun :D

Let the religious war begin!

• Advertisement

Cantab. wrote:
    Don't you see the irony in your use of the word "ignorant"? AFAIC, there's one truth - that of the Catholic Church. You seek to come up with your own version of what the truth is. Fine, but who are you? Are you a world-reknowned theologian? People have spent their whole lives in the quest for the truth and institutions have been around for centuries (i.e. the Pope, and his Cardinals and Bishops). You come along, as an individual in 2006, and start asking the same old questions that have long-since been discussed and thought-out to death because you seem to somehow know better than everyone else. What is this new knowledge that you have come across all of a sudden? My advice to you is to stop, think, pray and do everything you can so as to love God (i.e. don't offend Him by seeking to undermine Him and his apostles on earth).

There comes a time my friend, especially when someone seeks to question the Holy Trinity, Hell and the Holy Bible, that you need to be told that you are in fact (should you persist in your meanderings), but a heretic. Go and preach your new ideas from the comfort of crawling on your belly, but don't accuse me of being "unchristian" for pointing out your evil errors.

:( I implore you to take yourself from the seat of Judgement. Do you also see the crusades as Christian? You call the Catholic Church as the truth. That in itself is a blasphemy, as Jesus is the Truth. Was limbo a truth? Were indulgences a truth? Go your way, if you will, but don't spout your doctrinated drivel to me and claiming that you are talking in Christ. How dare you even use the word Evil when describing my quest for truth! If heracy means that I disagree with Catholocism then I accept it gladly. Will you now burn me at the steak? Be going your way from here until you have something constructive to add.

Advertisement