Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Director - We Thrive in Big Cities

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Reconnect is a good song, but is it just me, or is the production a bit weedy?

Not sure if I'd take the plunge and get the album based on the reports here.

Speaking of hyped-up Irish bands - Humanzi, what gives? On the cover of every mag, supporting the MC5, Strokes etc and still only selling 300 copies of their album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I've heard them live twice now and the drums are a lot more promenant which really adds to the songs. Pity they chose to push them to the back on the album

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They played the Phantom FM launch party last night, couple of good songs, wasn't bothered with most of them. Another Joy Division influenced band, not a bad thing but I'm puzzled why they're all emerging now - Interpol, Editors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was meant to see them live on saturday but they didn't come,I was really disappointed!
    I like the album though,but as everyone has said,the auld voice could do with some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

/Andy\ wrote:
    The singer is a poor vocalist,
    I couldn't disagree with you more here. I think he's an exceptional singer - he's just not typical of this vein of music. He accesses Nick Cave and Nina Simone - that's the way to understand his voice's strengths.

How you could say he was a poor singer, I fail to understand. Poor? You may not like his voice or his accent, but there is no mistaking his ability.
    /Andy\ wrote:
    As for them being Irish, I wouldn't throw them 5 cent on the street if they were busking because they carry themselves with the same affected mid-atlanticism as those cretins The Thrills, effectively turning their backs on any Irishness they contain in order to appear "cooler", ha!

You would, then, throw those 5 cents to a band that asserts its "Irishness" in some way, that wears its "Irish" credentials as a badge of honour? "Irishness" in an Irish band presumably matters to you? I'd say Director are better off without the 5 cents of someone whose taste takes a back seat to his cultural loyalties.

Turning their backs on Irishness? Boo "Irishness", and boo anyone who lets his attitude muddy his aesthetic sense. Take note:
    SumGuy wrote:
    for the record, thumbs down to director, regardless of how they carry themselves
    A far more honourable, if negative, judgement!

And I wouldn't have said Director come across as "cool" at all. Not in the same way as the Thrills. If anything, they're genuine and endearingly awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭/Andy\

SumGuy wrote:
    so if somebody Irish enjoys, and wants to perform american music or dress in and american style, or african music or style, or asian music or style, or any kind of music or style that isn't indigenous to Ireland, they should be ashamed, that's what you're saying:confused:

for the record, thumbs down to director, regardless of how they carry themselves

Not at all mate, sorry if I gave the impression that was what I was saying. What I mean is (and I'll give an example here), I saw them supporting a well known American group- and from the singers accent (which I now know to be horribly affected) I would have thought he was American. What I hate is when Irish singers fake an American or mid-Atlantic accent in their speech and singing. The guy's from Malahide and he's pretending to be something he's not, which I find pretty sad to be honest.

To FionnMatthew, my taste does not take a back seat to my cultural loyalties, when I said Irishness (again I must apologise for my lack of clarity) I simply meant using your god-given accent while speaking or singing, as opposed to what Director's lead singer does. I by no means meant that the guy should embody some kind of "Irishness" in his music, dress or anything else like that. We live in a world in which all cultures are blending into one another, which is something I think is great- and it gets us far away from the narrow minded nationalistic ideals which I think you have mistaken me for having. Anyway, as to the merits of the guys singing, it's all down to individual taste I guess and I'm not a fan- although I would never belittle you thinking otherwise.

Peace :)

Fair enough. Good post. But...
    /Andy\ wrote:
    I saw them supporting a well known American group- and from the singers accent (which I now know to be horribly affected) I would have thought he was American.

How do you know it's horribly affected? Have you heard him talk?
    /Andy\ wrote:
    What I hate is when Irish singers fake an American or mid-Atlantic accent in their speech and singing. The guy's from Malahide and he's pretending to be something he's not, which I find pretty sad to be honest.
    /Andy\ wrote:
    when I said Irishness (again I must apologise for my lack of clarity) I simply meant using your god-given accent while speaking or singing, as opposed to what Director's lead singer does.
    He does use his own accent though. Back when I was 12, I went to a basketball camp in Malahide Community School, and himself and the guitarist were at it. And he spoke with that kind of accent as far back as then. That's his accent, for whatever reason. If it's an artifice, it's a long established one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭/Andy\

Fair enough. Good post. But..

He does use his own accent though. Back when I was 12, I went to a basketball camp in Malahide Community School, and himself and the guitarist were at it. And he spoke with that kind of accent as far back as then. That's his accent, for whatever reason. If it's an artifice, it's a long established one.

I would also have to say fair enough if this is the case. Point taken- It's irrational really, nothing personal against the guy (I was actually quite impressed with his crowd interaction, he seemed a regular bloke)- it's a long-time pet peeve of mine, the whole "dort" and "rindabite" accent thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

sprinkles wrote:
    I've heard them live twice now and the drums are a lot more promenant which really adds to the songs. Pity they chose to push them to the back on the album
    The drummer is a friend of mine. I heard that the singer is a bit of a nazi and basically wont let the band do anything without his say so (musically that is). and when the drummer really started belting the kit out of it on a few tracks, singer got miffed that the drums were taking the spotlight so ordered them to be re-recorded with less enthusiasm so they didnt take focus off the guitar/vocals :rolleyes:

singer got miffed that the drums were taking the spotlight so ordered them to be re-recorded with less enthusiasm so they didnt take focus off the guitar/vocals

Ouch. Even Billy Corgan knows you've got to have a good rhythm track.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I really like the album but a couple of their songs from their website aren't on it which is a bit sh*t. i think the lead singer has a great voice but it's better live

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Must say, was very pleased with this album...thought it was excellent from first to last, and the stand out tracks are:

Come With a Friend
    Reconnect
    Easy To Me.

Fitzo wrote:
    Must say, was very pleased with this album...thought it was excellent from first to last, and the stand out tracks are:

Come With a Friend
    Reconnect
    Easy To Me.

Leave It To Me is the obvious single to me.

My favourite is Can You Take It? But also Big Cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Leave It To Me is the next single, but imo Easy To Me is the best single-option, catchiest on the album. Love that solo at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

0ubliette wrote:
    The drummer is a friend of mine. I heard that the singer is a bit of a nazi and basically wont let the band do anything without his say so (musically that is). and when the drummer really started belting the kit out of it on a few tracks, singer got miffed that the drums were taking the spotlight so ordered them to be re-recorded with less enthusiasm so they didnt take focus off the guitar/vocals :rolleyes:
    Poor decision by the singer then imo

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

I've seen em live a couple of weeks ago and thought they were terrible.
    Really boring, no crowd interaction, just got the impression that none of them wanted to be there. I agree that the singer has a weak voice.

My mate was at the gig with me and agreed, but he also had the album and said that it was much better. I dont intend to investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

/Andy\ wrote:
    I would also have to say fair enough if this is the case. Point taken- It's irrational really, nothing personal against the guy (I was actually quite impressed with his crowd interaction, he seemed a regular bloke)- it's a long-time pet peeve of mine, the whole "dort" and "rindabite" accent thing :)

haha, i've heard him speak and play live before he was in director in some school stuff (i went to malahide community school|). granted he does have an unusual accent but he isnt a southsider (i've opened a can of worms havent i!!). i do think he could use his voice a whole lot more though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

when i took my sister to see keane a couple of years ago, director was support and they made a hilarious first impression by doing "flight of the bumblebee"..and they were actually half decent too.

when they "debuted" (sp) with this new album i was totally unimpressed. my boyfriend loves them however. his voice is so dull and exactly the same in every song..it borders on tunelessness in some.

i remember saying when i first saw them "i bet that some record company will pick them up to be the next franz ferdinand" which i think is what happened..but about two years too late. if they were going to fully cash in on the vague similarity to franz (music wise and geeky look wise) they needed to get an album out a couple of years ago i reckon.

At least they're not Cap Pas Cap - what the fu ck is going on there? I can only assume there's some kind of collective auditory hallucination that prevents otherwise sane people from realising what a dreadful, cack-handed amateur noise they produce. I'd like to be the first to point out that the Emperor is, in fact, butt naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sajan wrote:
    I view Director in the same light as I view other Irish Bands such as the Frames and Bell X1. They are liked for one fundamental reason. They are Irish and promoted on Irish Radio.

Just look at the Director situation. Interpol are an American band that are a lot better musically and lyrically but don't have the same support over here due to the lack of airplay.

It's time that we stop praising and supporting bands just cause they are Irish and we know a few people who went to school with them etc. There is a reason that so few bands from Ireland make it internationally when they are so big over here.. THe reason is that there are better bands to listen to.

I don't listen to the radio, unless I'm at work, and in that case it's usually rubbish chart pop. I first heard Director at a gig a friend wanted to go to, liked them and wanted to hear more. Bought the album, enjoy it, and I actually love the monotone as a feature of the overall product. I couldn't give a fiddler's where they're from or if they ever went to school, I just like the music - I won't apologise for it, nor do I expect I'm alone. If you have a personal gripe with people liking their friends' bands, or with people preferring irish music to non-irish alternatives, that's fine - but it's your problem, not anyone elses. Sorry for ranting, but I'm sick of being told WHY I like certain music. Balls to that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement