Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Director - We Thrive in Big Cities

Options
  • 14-10-2006 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Anybody have this album? I picked it up last week and so far so good. The lyrics are excellent but his voice isn't the best. It's a bit monotone for a lot of the tracks. The guitars, bass and drumming is all decent enough too.

It's very similar to Revellino's Broadcaster album, but not as good or original.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I saw them doing an in store the other day and I liked it but I don't know if I could listen to an album of theirs. At least live there's a bit of oomph but I'd have to listen to the album first. Were these guys called Business at one stage? They seemed familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

John wrote:
    Were these guys called Business at one stage?
    Yeah they were, changed cos the name was already taken I think

I liked them when I saw them but after a while I cant stand his voice or how he over-pronounces every word, it's near robotic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

his voice isn't the best alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i think the album is brilliant! i agree about his voice tho. i went to school with three of them and saw the lead singer play at various school events with songs he cud really show his voice off with. he has a really good voice but i dont think any of the songs show it off. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭nah_biy!

They're getting bloody tonnes of advertising space on Today FM!

<snip>

But they remind me a little of Editors, kind of brooding voices at times?

• Advertisement

Please no mention of MCD shows on boards. Any more and I'll have to lock this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I saw them on the Late Late and they were awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Sadly I'm a bit disappointed with the album :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Going to see them live, saw them before (not mentioning where ;)) and I thought they were very good. I can see how the voice might annoy if you're listening to the album for a while but they have a good command of the stage and are something a little bit different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shock media

Think they're very good, i guess the whole big record company PR
    thing behind them sometimes puts people off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

Timans wrote:
    I saw them on the Late Late and they were awful.
    Here here, i saw them on the LL too and they were beyond crap. i can't understand what anyone could get from such monotony.

Five posts just deleted as people can't help but discuss MCD related events. Also, Black NG-60-90 banned for a month for both discussing MCD and being a horrid little troll. Thread locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

was drumming in a band that supported them the other night and they were damn good. First time I've been impressed by a band in a while.

I thought I locked this? Evidently not, well I'll leave it open so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Big fan of the band and the album.

And the modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I view Director in the same light as I view other Irish Bands such as the Frames and Bell X1. They are liked for one fundamental reason. They are Irish and promoted on Irish Radio.

Just look at the Director situation. Interpol are an American band that are a lot better musically and lyrically but don't have the same support over here due to the lack of airplay.

It's time that we stop praising and supporting bands just cause they are Irish and we know a few people who went to school with them etc. There is a reason that so few bands from Ireland make it internationally when they are so big over here.. THe reason is that there are better bands to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

There is a reason that so few bands from Ireland make it internationally when they are so big over here.. THe reason is that there are better bands to listen to.
    Today 01:23

Partaly true but Ireland has in my opionion produced 3 of the top 20 bands of all time (Fatima Mansions,Whipping Boy,My bloody valintine) and some other damn good ones which isnt bad for a ralativly small country

3 of the top 20 bands of all time is a massive call and one that is totally unfounded in my opinion. Surely if they are to be considered in that light they would be better known.

Sajan wrote:
    3 of the top 20 bands of all time is a massive call and one that is totally unfounded in my opinion. Surely if they are to be considered in that light they would be better known.

In theory yes but that would assume that the geraral populas have taste in music which is not usualy the case. MBV were pretty big back in the day and could have got bigger if they ever got around to a follow up to loveless, FM and WB were both unfortunate to emerge at times when the musical tastes of the public/media lay in different styles

My opinion would be that if the music is good enough that it would transcend the general beliefs of the general population. I think that there is enough people around that will genuinely seek out quality music regardless of the popularity amongst others.

You say that they are three of the best twenty bands of all time. There are thousands/millions of people around the world at the moment who genuinely think that about their favourite bands.

• Advertisement

I think that there is enough people around that will genuinely seek out quality music regardless of the popularity amongst others.

You have far to much faith in humanity
    There are thousands/millions of people around the world at the moment who genuinely think that about their favourite bands.

And they are all right it their own way perhaps I should have prefixed my statement with IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I really like the album. The arrangements are excellent imo. And, for the record, I liked it even before I found out they were Irish :p

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Sajan said....
    ...and...
    My opinion would be that if the music is good enough that it would transcend the general beliefs of the general population. I think that there is enough people around that will genuinely seek out quality music regardless of the popularity amongst others.
    So if a band is good, it will be well known! But apparently that logic doesn't work for Interpol.
    Interpol are an American band that are a lot better musically and lyrically but don't have the same support over here due to the lack of airplay.
    On which rests the whole argument against Director deserving their praise. You must really know what you're on about!

(Interpol played four sold-out gigs here last year, in national venues. Director don't have that kind of support. Interpol are, as it stands, far more popular than Director, if you want to go down that route.)

(Director are rather popular in key cities around the UK too, having supported Hard-Fi and the Goo Goo Dolls. They are not a strictly Irish phenomenon.)

(Perhaps you should have more confidence in taste of the listenership that sent Big Cities to No.2 last week. Personally, I don't buy records out of national pride. Anything but! Just a thought.)

I think Big Cities is something really special - we finally have a classic pop act to talk about, a band that doesn't rest on credibility or "intensity" to sell records. They have the goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Reni

Saw them live there week before last-don't have the album but on the basis of the live show they don't seem to be up to much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Sajan wrote:
    I view Director in the same light as I view other Irish Bands such as the Frames and Bell X1. They are liked for one fundamental reason. They are Irish and promoted on Irish Radio.

Just look at the Director situation. Interpol are an American band that are a lot better musically and lyrically but don't have the same support over here due to the lack of airplay.

It's time that we stop praising and supporting bands just cause they are Irish and we know a few people who went to school with them etc. There is a reason that so few bands from Ireland make it internationally when they are so big over here.. THe reason is that there are better bands to listen to.

I barely listen to the radio. Saw a review and decided to buy it. I really like the album, great stuff in fact. And I didn't even know they were irish !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭/Andy\

I too have seen them live, and to be honest I don't rate them at all. The singer is a poor vocalist, their music is contrived, and they basically just churn out the exact same kind of tunes that dozens of other bands have been doing over the last few years, most doing this rock-by-numbers better than Director. As for them being Irish, I wouldn't throw them 5 cent on the street if they were busking because they carry themselves with the same affected mid-atlanticism as those cretins The Thrills, effectively turning their backs on any Irishness they contain in order to appear "cooler", ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

I still wouldnt like Interpol if they were plastered all over the place....i hate em

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Picked it up based on the single and have to say it's utter rubbish imho.
    The single Disconnect is pretty catchy but the rest of the album is so Boring and repetitive. I tried to like it but just can't get into it.
    It'll be in the adverts.ie section if anyone wants it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

i just listened to some of the tracks on the web site... 1st one seems ok..yer man's voice is a bit weird tho...not the worst song in the world not the best...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

/Andy\ wrote:
    they carry themselves with the same affected mid-atlanticism as those cretins The Thrills, effectively turning their backs on any Irishness they contain in order to appear "cooler", ha!

so if somebody Irish enjoys, and wants to perform american music or dress in and american style, or african music or style, or asian music or style, or any kind of music or style that isn't indigenous to Ireland, they should be ashamed, that's what you're saying:confused:

for the record, thumbs down to director, regardless of how they carry themselves

Advertisement