Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a guitar...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

My friend just said get 10 guage ones? This sound right for a beginner?

Im slowly learning more and more :D :rolleyes:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

DeafVision wrote:
    My friend just said get 10 guage ones? This sound right for a beginner?

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

I hate to be the only musician here to suggest this. But i would stick with an acoustic for your first guitar.

Walk before you can run so to speak.

Every guitarist starts off with playing basic chords playing basic songs. And if you're going to play basic chords and basic songs then you're gonna want to do it on an acoustic guitar. The transition from learning on electric to then playing an acoustic would be very difficult, but it would not be difficult if the situation were reversed.

My opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I didnt start playing basic chords or songs (still dont know any chords really). I had no interest in strumming along to Oasis or whatever so figured why bother? I took up acoustic years after getting my first electric and had no problem.

I say play whatever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Its a bigger danger to start learning to play on acoustic and giving up cause you think acoustic sucks monkey bollocks and would have had fun and stuck at it playing rock. In principle you may be right but in practice too many people give up cause they are not having fun, and thats what really spurs you on to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Well if you really want to play guitar, then you'll play guitar.

Too many people play guitar nowadays anyway, i say let them quit!!! :)

Yea I duno acoustic just seems very depressing to me.. and I like all punk/rock music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Great setup - as good as you could possibly wish for. You'll find it very hard to outgrow it for a longtime to come :) Make sure you get an electronic tuner, gigbag and a Chordbook with pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

No its rubbish, dont touch it. Get a pacifica instead -
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_pacifica_112l_yns_left_hand.htm

And dont forget youre not left handed until you start to play left handed IMO

Agreed...i've 3 pacificas. The necks are superb and the quality second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

DeafVision wrote:
    Yea I duno acoustic just seems very depressing to me.. and I like all punk/rock music...

Get the electric package. You're not going to run out and get a spot in a rock band carrying an acoustic around. Sorted.

Didn't Ancient1 elect me Minister of Practical Advice long ago? :D

• Advertisement

Rustar wrote:
    Get the electric package. You're not going to run out and get a spot in a rock band carrying an acoustic around. Sorted.

Didn't Ancient1 elect me Minister of Practical Advice long ago? :D

I dont plan on starting a band or even getting into one but yea... I wana get an electric one! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

DeafVision wrote:
    I dont plan on starting a band or even getting into one but yea... I wana get an electric one! lol

"That's the spirit!"

batty-wall.jpg

"That's the spirit!"

batty-wall.jpg

Why do I dectect a little bit of sarcasm in that? :rolleyes:

Quite the opposite, in fact.:D

Thats Roy Batty, from Blade Runner, he has just stuck his head through a solid wall, then been walloped by iron bar and he's so full of beans all he can say is....

Probably my favorite movie of all time. Taken from Philip K. Dick's novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and has a score by Vangelis.

PKD rules.
    Rustar, you are obviously a man of taste and distinction. ;)

......'cause I got cat class and I got cat style..... :D

PKD rules.

He was okay - he had a few good ideas but the implementation was always weak tbh. The fact that his estate are clearly prepared to sell film rights to practically anyone that will take them doesn't say much. And the fact that Blade Runner was the closest film to stay even remotely to the original plot yet still deviated completely and absolutely in it's fundamental message says even less. :rolleyes:

Having said that, almost all of the stories were better than the films. Minority Report the film was incredibly unintelligent if you compare it to the story (which was very clever if a little poorly written). Woah... this is ready to turn into a Philip K Dick rant... I better go to bed instead. :D

I haven't read A Scanner Darkly so I'll exclude it from my profoundly opinionated judgements. ;) But, in summary, he was no Asimov by a long shot! :p

Eh, I better add something about guitars... that was an awfully incendiary remark to make on an off topic subject. :o So, eh, Philip K Dick... I never really liked his tone tbh. Trying too hard to sound like Hendrix. ;)

Actually, PKD was the Jimi Hendrix of science fiction writers. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Rustar wrote:
    ......'cause I got cat class and I got cat style..... :D

G'wan the Stray Cats..

wheels.jpg

lol... just thought I would say im putting a deposit on the yamaha pacifica and microcube in town(waterford) for €400 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

DeafVision wrote:
    lol... just thought I would say im putting a deposit on the yamaha pacifica and microcube in town(waterford) for €400 :D

Which model pacifica?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

DeafVision wrote:
    Pretty decent deal there, just get them to throw in a few cables/straps/gigbag/picks etc. Palmers is it? Fairly sound shop

Its the Pacifica 412V one! Im not actually getting it in palmers theres a place pro musica across the road that I saw it in... Now that I think about it I might try over there in palmers cause they I had been in there looking and there were very nice.. and I aint getting any straps or anything from over in pro musica.. hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Take the 412 and microcube deal if you can get it for €400 regardless of extras, thats a smashing deal.

Im getting strap and gig bag and other stuff.. I asked him today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you might also want to get yourself a metronome.

of course, i only got my first guitar a month ago, so dont listen to a word i say!
    but i got an epiphone lespaul special 2, have got myself some lessons, and really just trying to get use to the thing.
    i can murder let it be by the beatles, and play an awesome 'twinkle twinkle little star', but thats about it.
    but you know, im absolutely enjoying it. i have spent many hours just doing marvelous things with overdrive and distortion. sometimes i have to remind myself i actually havent got a clue about the thing, cos i just want to run out and buy pedals and stuff!

but someone, please tell me, it has got to get easier to make your fingers stretch. it does, doesnt it?

Advertisement