Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common words or phrases you dont understand!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

back in the day when it was still a sin to say the lords name in vain, ie jesus christ, people musta tried to find an alternative, in the same way as people would say "sugar" instead of "sh*t". thats wat i tihnk anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Will Scarlett

When a bloke says he scored with a girl what exactly has happened?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

When a bloke says he scored with a girl what exactly has happened?
    She played a threaded through ball and he slipped one low and hard past the keeper. Next please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

what does atari jaguar mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

ThatGuy wrote:
    Worked on the buildings for 2 summers - and was always confused by the phrase 'How's your father?'

Not the phrase itself, but the context it was used in.
    e.g. "Throw us that 'how's your father' " when referring to a hammer or shovel.

Can't think of another example right now, but confusing all the same.

Just found me an explanation of the phrase: http://www.michaelkelly.fsnet.co.uk/qfather.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

its an old console

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved to Linguistics & Etymology.
    Enjoy!!!1! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Trinity1 wrote:
    what does atari jaguar mean?
    clickeh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Karoma wrote:
    Moved to Linguistics & Etymology.
    Enjoy!!!1! :D

What the hell do languages and insects have to do with each other???

:D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I thought "meh" was kind of like an "oh, i don't care" type of attitude thing. i don't know... haha.
    Immortalised by Lisa Simpson.

Lisa: But Dad, we're the MTV generation. We experience neither highs nor lows.

Homer: Really? What's that like?

Lisa: Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

What does the expression " Cheap at half the price mean"? Surely everything is cheap at half the price... or am I missing something ?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

A house, say, would be rather pricey at half the price. Or, so I'd think.

One that used to bug the hell out of me was, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

I worked that one out, so now the one I don't get is, "same difference". It sounds so stupid, but makes sense at the same time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Where does "the whole nine yards" come from? Or "a can of worms"? I mean, are worms particularly agile and likely to go jumping all over the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Faith wrote:
    Where does "the whole nine yards" come from? Or "a can of worms"? I mean, are worms particularly agile and likely to go jumping all over the place?
    The whole nine yards??

Well my interpretation of 'can of worms' is that when you open a can of worms its like a big solid [icky] mass of worms all knotted up in each other and like a situation where you'd use that phrase its complex and hard to unravel/solve. No idea how accurate that is. Now I've to go erase all fishing trip memories *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

chilly wrote:
    What does the expression " Cheap at half the price mean"? Surely everything is cheap at half the price... or am I missing something ?

it's a piss-take of "cheap at twice the price" i.e. you are ripping me off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

A house, say, would be rather pricey at half the price. Or, so I'd think.

One that used to bug the hell out of me was, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

I worked that one out, so now the one I don't get is, "same difference". It sounds so stupid, but makes sense at the same time.

"Same difference" was discussed on earlier threads.
    It would appear to be a derivation of "same but different",which would imply a similar result from different methods.

Okay here's one I never got and I hear it used a fair bit.

"He was sold a pup"

I know what it means, I just don't know why it means what it does.
    Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Wertz wrote:
    Okay here's one I never got and I hear it used a fair bit.

"He was sold a pup"

I know what it means, I just don't know why it means what it does.
    Anyone?

It comes from the days when farmers would bring their produce to market in a sack. Dodgy market dealers would replace a piglet in a sack with a cat or a puppy - and hope the customers wouldn't spot it until it was too late. Incidentally, the phrase "to let the cat out of the bag" comes from the same practice.

That's always annoyed me, thanks for clearing it up. Interesting one on the cat out of the bag, too.

Advertisement