Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common words or phrases you dont understand!!!

Options
  • 09-10-2006 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Theres loads of things I always hear people sayin, but still dunno wha they mean!

Still not sure wha PC means [As in, X is very PC]

Anyone else got some???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

PC - Politically Correct

means someone might say "vertically challenged" instead of "shrimpy little bollix"!

or "obese" instead of "fat bastard"

or "african american" instead of "black"...notice i said "black", it woulda been defo too un-PC to have said "******".

also, theres a few words i dont know. i see them around here but then jsut forget them rather than dictionary.com'ing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The_B_Man wrote:
    or "obese" instead of "fat bastard"

Can you even call them obese? :confused: I thought it had to be 'calorifically challenged' or somesuch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Pigman II wrote:
    Can you even call them obese? :confused: I thought it had to be 'calorifically challenged' or somesuch?

Goodness, are people really being *that* particular?? :rolleyes: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I hate the newer ones such as 'Meh' or something being 'so random' :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I thought "meh" was kind of like an "oh, i don't care" type of attitude thing. i don't know... haha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

GIMP . Not sure what that means

Like,if you met Bertie Ahearn coming down the street would you say to your mate"Jaysus! would you look at the gimp on that geezer "?

Or would you say when he had passed"Jasysus,Bertie has an awful gimp on him today"

Or if some tumbleshack was annoying you for money on the street ,would you say"Shag off you gimpy b*****x and get a job like the rest of us"

I find it rather confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Like,if you met Bertie Ahearn coming down the street would you say to your mate"Jaysus! would you look at the gimp on that geezer "?

Or would you say when he had passed"Jasysus,Bertie has an awful gimp on him today"

Or if some tumbleshack was annoying you for money on the street ,would you say"Shag off you gimpy b*****x and get a job like the rest of us"

Ever watched Pulp Fiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

a gimp is someone with a limp. someone's "gimp" is how they're walking

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gimp

i think

its also the GNU image manipulation program but i don't think they're talking about that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Why do people say Janey Mackeral?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Or "anal"??.......as in 'That was a very anal thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

flanzer wrote:
    Or "anal"??.......as in 'That was a very anal thing to do

Anally retentive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

bobbyjoe wrote:

I thought it was janey mack??

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

'cheap at half the price' - should it not be cheap at twice the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

blame david dickinson for that one! and 'cheap as chips'.
    Politcal Correctness has gone totally mad lately

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

The word "Large", when applied to me is somewhat confusing... :)

say it how is.... "Large..."... so condescending.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

kmick wrote:
    Never heard that one but if something is twice the normal price it's definitely not cheap (unless it was super cheap to begin with), if it's twice the price, it's gotten more expensive. Could be wrong, like I said, never heard it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Baby4 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Postal is a stereotype that postal workers in the US go on killing sprees when pissed off. Not sure if there's any element of truth to it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

On August 20, 1986, 14 employees were shot dead and six wounded at the Edmond, Oklahoma, post office by a postman, Patrick Sherrill, who then committed suicide with a shot to the forehead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

bobbyjoe wrote:

I don't think they do ;)

As i understand it, "Janey mack" is an inner city Dublin thing. I remember it was used in a little rhyme (which I'll spare you all from having to read) I used to hear when i was a kid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kmick wrote:

Yeah, I always thought the same, but it must mean "cheap, because it's half the price" rather than "this would be cheap at half the price"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 snb

Sometimes an unusual / or long word just better expresses what your trying to say.

Some words are just more expressive , obviously only when your audience knows the meaning too.

We should all have word a day calendars & there would be far more interesting repartee floating about to amuse us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

snb wrote:
    Sometimes an unusual / or long word just better expresses what your trying to say.

Some words are just more expressive , obviously only when your audience knows the meaning too.

We should all have word a day calendars & there would be far more interesting repartee floating about to amuse us!

Wha?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I didnt get that there was a double meaning implied in that sentence of the song: "If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me" until last year when it finally dawned on me.
    I had always just assumed that they were ****ty lyrics, and now realise that it is in fact my stupidity that made them so.
    Other phrases that I dont seem to understand include:
    Shut up.
    Shut the hell up.
    Shut your stupid fat mouth.
    shut the mother**** up.
    Shut up or die.
    If anyone has any explanation of these please mail it to my ass, care of Katie Holmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I don't think they do ;)

As i understand it, "Janey mack" is an inner city Dublin thing. I remember it was used in a little rhyme (which I'll spare you all from having to read) I used to hear when i was a kid.

I remember using it as a kid in cork a good while back and janey mackerel as well which i suppose was a spin off from it.

As for cheap at half the price, this is a p**stake of the expression cheap at twice the price, a kind of sarcastic comment about something being too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

yeah, people defo usta say Janey Mackerel, jus to be cooler than the Jane Mack gang

What's Contemporary? Jus, modern or somethin???

Oh, and "Jesus christ on a bicycle!"

"divil"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Worked on the buildings for 2 summers - and was always confused by the phrase 'How's your father?'

Not the phrase itself, but the context it was used in.
    e.g. "Throw us that 'how's your father' " when referring to a hammer or shovel.

Can't think of another example right now, but confusing all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I know "how's your father" is an English euphenism for sex...so I can only guess it's been put to use as an alterntaive to saying "f*cking thing"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

abetarrush wrote:
    What's Contemporary? Jus, modern or somethin???

Oh, and "Jesus christ on a bicycle!"

contemporary is just something/someone from the same time as you eg. michael jackson is a contemporary of you.

the jesus christ on a bicycle probably stemed from the rhyming phrase "christ on a bike".

Advertisement