Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too much change

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm a cash office clerk and know full well how that kind of mistake can fcuk up the books. I always appreciate the honesty of a customer who notifies the cashier of an error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

abetarrush wrote:
    Also, her til wudda been down 40 euro which wudda came out of her pay.
    Ah no not always I was once 160 out and I just got a ''remember to be more careful in the future'' :eek: but I guess that was a once off... still can't figure out where it went though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 naomitola

down the local offo, a couple of times they have given me too much change, I always say it to them, its never more than a a few euro, but they always tell eme to keep for my honesty :D They know me since Im a child though (they sell groceries aswell) they do the smae with cigereetes if I ask for 10 and sometimes they give me more, they always let me keep them. Its sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

If im drunk they dont have a chance.

If im in my own town or any other small town i will more then likly tell them.

If im in a city they had better have served me with a smile other wise im €xx up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

i work in a pub myself so i know what its like. i always hand back the money and point out the mistake if i notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

You Idiot, ever notice Xtra - Vision is the most expensive of the lot?
    Id have personally told Chartbusters, but no way Xtra-Vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Ever notice how people who fire personal insults about don't go down too well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'd keep it, xtra vision are a rip off.... as are most places, so it'd be me getting the better of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Thank god people started to get sense by the end of the thread, xtravision are a complete rip off. That was karmas way of saying they've been ripping you off for ages here's your money back. Big faceless corporations that pay their staff fupall deserve to get maced at every possible turn.

I've done it on a few ocassions purposely and without noticing. It nearly always seems to be a €50 for a €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Maybe off topic, but a till is down at the end of the shift, can the manager take the money from the employees wages?
    Is this legal to make such a deduction.

I know the legislation is Payment of Wages Act 1991.
    Any legal eagles know?

I wouldn't hand the money back and when I worked as a barman, people were regulary shortchanged.
    Thats just me though. The majority of people in this thread are more honest than me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Would probably depend on my financial situation at the time, my mood, and how nice the person serving me was. Unless all three of those were bad I'd most likely give it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

micmclo wrote:
    Maybe off topic, but a till is down at the end of the shift, can the manager take the money from the employees wages?
    Is this legal to make such a deduction.

I know the legislation is Payment of Wages Act 1991.
    Any legal eagles know?

Yes. I study law and an issue arose with an ex-employer purporting to deduct the cost of any drive offs from a petrol station where I worked from the relevant cashier's wages. This contravened the Act and I wasn't shy about letting him know. Off topic I know but for what it's worth it comes under s5 of said Act:

Regulation of certain deductions made and payments received by employers. 5.—(1) An employer shall not make a deduction from the wages of an employee (or receive any payment from an employee) unless—

( a ) the deduction (or payment) is required or authorised to be made by virtue of any statute or any instrument made under statute,
    ( b ) the deduction (or payment) is required or authorised to be made by virtue of a term of the employee's contract of employment included in the contract before, and in force at the time of, the deduction or payment, or
    ( c ) in the case of a deduction, the employee has given his prior consent in writing to it.
    (2) An employer shall not make a deduction from the wages of an employee in respect of—

( a ) any act or omission of the employee, or
    ( b ) any goods or services supplied to or provided for the employee by the employer the supply or provision of which is necessary to the employment,
    unless—

(i) the deduction is required or authorised to be made by virtue of a term (whether express or implied and, if express, whether oral or in writing) of the contract of employment made between the employer and the employee, and
    (ii) the deduction is of an amount that is fair and reasonable having regard to all the circumstances (including the amount of the wages of the employee), and
    (iii) before the time of the act or omission or the provision of the goods or services, the employee has been furnished with—
    (I) in case the term referred to in subparagraph (i) is in writing, a copy thereof,
    (II) in any other case, notice in writing of the existence and effect of the term,
    and
    (iv) in case the deduction is in respect of an act or omission of the employee, the employee has been furnished, at least one week before the making of the deduction, with particulars in writing of the act or omission and the amount of the deduction, and
    (v) in case the deduction is in respect of compensation for loss or damage sustained by the employer as a result of an act or omission of the employee, the deduction is of an amount not exceeding the amount of the loss or the cost of the damage, and
    (vi) in case the deduction is in respect of goods or services supplied or provided as aforesaid, the deduction is of an amount not exceeding the cost to the employer of the goods or services, and
    (vii) the deduction or, if the total amount payable to the employer by the employee in respect of the act or omission or the goods or services is to be so paid by means of more than one deduction from the wages of the employee, the first such deduction is made not later than 6 months after the act or omission becomes known to the employer or, as the case may be, after the provision of the goods or services.
    ( 3 ) ( a ) An employer shall not receive a payment from an employee in respect of a matter referred to in subsection (2) unless, if the payment were a deduction, it would comply with that subsection.

( b ) Where an employer receives a payment in accordance with paragraph (a) he shall forthwith give a receipt for the payment to the employee.
    (4) A term of a contract of employment or other agreement whereby goods or services are supplied to or provided for an employee by an employer in consideration of the making of a deduction by the employer from the wages of the employee or the making of a payment to the employer by the employee shall not be enforceable by the employer unless the supply or provision and the deduction or payment complies with subsection (2).

(5) Nothing in this section applies to—

( a ) a deduction made by an employer from the wages of an employee, or any payment received from an employee by an employer, where—
    (i) the purpose of the deduction or payment is the reimbursement of the employer in respect of—
    (I) any overpayment of wages, or
    (II) any overpayment in respect of expenses incurred by the employee in carrying out his employment,
    made (for any reason) by the employer to the employee, and
    (ii) the amount of the deduction or payment does not exceed the amount of the overpayment,
    or
    ( b ) a deduction made by an employer from the wages of an employee, or any payment received from an employee by an employer, in consequence of any disciplinary proceedings if those proceedings were held by virtue of a statutory provision, or
    ( c ) a deduction made by an employer from the wages of an employee in pursuance of a requirement imposed on the employer by virtue of any statutory provision to deduct and pay to a public authority, being a Minister of the Government, the Revenue Commissioners or a local authority for the purposes of the Local Government Act, 1941, amounts determined by that authority as being due to it f from the employee, if the deduction is made in accordance with the relevant determination of that authority, or
    ( d ) a deduction made by an employer from the wages of an employee in pursuance of any arrangements—
    (i) which are in accordance with a term of a contract made between the employer and the employee to whose inclusion in the contract the employee has given his prior consent in writing, or
    (ii) to which the employee has otherwise given his prior consent in writing,
    and under which the employer deducts and pays to a third person amounts, being amounts in relation to which he has received a notice in writing from that person stating that they are amounts due to him from the employee, if the deduction is made in accordance with the notice and the amount thereof is paid to the third person not later than the date on which it is required by the notice to be so paid, or
    ( e ) a deduction made by an employer from the wages of an employee, or any payment received from an employee by his employer, where the employee has taken part in a strike or other industrial action and the deduction is made or the payment has been required by the employer on account of the employee's having taken part in that strike or other industrial action, or
    ( f ) a deduction made by an employer from the wages of an employee with his prior consent in writing, or any payment received from an employee by an employer, where the purpose of the deduction or payment is the satisfaction (whether wholly or in part) of an order of a court or tribunal requiring the payment of any amount by the employee to the employer, or
    ( g ) a deduction made by an employer from the wages of an employee where the purpose of the deduction is the satisfaction (whether wholly or in part) of an order of a court or tribunal requiring the payment of any amount by the employer to the court or tribunal or a third party out of the wages of the employee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

... a simple yes or no would have been suffice...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Working in xtravision for a few years now I know that the employee (most likely part time) would have more than likely have had to pay up for their mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cassy

hi just started in xtra vision, they are very thorough in their work. especially in making sure the tills add up. mistakes happen tho.

i agree with the idea that if the tills are short, the employee should cough up. especially if you are clocked on and you're working the till. its your responsibility. i know that when i am working, i consciously make sure that i give the right change and everything else is in order. however mistakes do happen, and it helps when there are honest customers.

all in all, as both an employee and customer, honesty is the best policy i think.....

Cassy x

Advertisement