Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too much change

Options
  • 08-10-2006 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I was in Xtravision today, renting out Mortal Kombat (I know I know, it's ****e, it was for nostalgia) anyway I handed the cashier a fiver (it was 2.50 to rent) and she handed me back the change of a fifty. I didn't even think about it, I told her straight away her mistake and handed her the money. upon leaving I thought about it: I am in college and am seriously strapped for cash. I am just barely getting by, but I was so happy I didn't run with the money because it would have been on my concience for ages.

I will almost always inform a cashier of a mistake. If it was the Texaco in the town I would not tell them (unless it was a major mistake like above) because they are robbing b*stards.

I work in an offlicence and I know how easy it can be to forget what note a customer handed you, if this arises for me I hand them the lowets possible change. If they frown at the change I know I was wrong and go to hand them the rest apologising (some people can be d*cks and tell you off for it, no matter how much you apologise).

My question is this: if a clerk handed you the wrong change in your favour would you say anything or let it slide?

what do you do? 94 votes

always tell them they made a mistake
    0% 0 votes
    depends on the shop
    44% 42 votes
    take it if it was a small mistake
    35% 33 votes
    always take it, it's their mistake; their loss
    20% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My conscience would get the better of me, I'd let them know they made a mistake and hand it back in. Otherwise I'd be feeling guilty and walking around sulking for the whole day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'd say something if I noticed whilst on the premises. At the end of the day, even in Texaco, et. al. it's usually the (low-paid) cashier that gets it in the neck if the float is off. Also, I believe it is the right of the customer to complain if they are short-changed; it must work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The way I see it is that I hate it if I made a mistake and gave someone too much change. So I'll always tell the cashier if I get too much change. It's only fair - and honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Ah yeah, if ye kept it, ye'd prolly feel like crap

I always feel like ive done a good deed if i give back money

Also, her til wudda been down 40 euro which wudda came out of her pay.

But the real question is, was she hot???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Id tell them. Iv a conscience and wouldn't feel good after. Just guess it was the way i was brought up and such aswell.
    Besides, id feel karma would get me if not that day, the next day:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd keep it. There's been lots of times on the bus and I'd ask for (and pay for) a particular fare only to be ticketed for a lower one (strange how it's never the other way round?). Anyway I'd never notice til halfway thru the journey when I'd be playing with the ticket and then it'd be a case of "**** I hope a conductor doesn't come on now!"

It's these peoples responsibility to do their jobs right not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Unless it was something obvious, like the OPs example (getting €42.50 change instead of €2.50), I wouldn't notice. I just put whatever the cashier gives me into my pocket without counting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I'm too damned honest. I'd say something too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

The problem is that some people see it as getting money off the shop/company, and not the person who makes the mistake. Though some C***S deserve it when it happens, looking at you going in a stare with a real sarcastic "Eh, i just gave you a fifty" and rolling there eyes to the sky. In this situation i usually slam the money on the counter or give it a light throw in their direction, F**kers!! Then you have the others bastards who know, they usually sprint for the door, then as you shout at them to comeback and they pretend they have lost their hearing, then they act all embarassed. So basically, I do always give it back when i get long-changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Macker

I thought you work as a barman and pocket the costomers change after a minute or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Unless it was something obvious, like the OPs example (getting €42.50 change instead of €2.50), I wouldn't notice. I just put whatever the cashier gives me into my pocket without counting it.
    Same here...I'd never notice unless I was given like a higher value note for the change(like a 10 instead of a 5 etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

I hand it back myself. I would feel awfully guilty.. and I know it sucks when your draw is short :@! But I like when vice versa happens and the customer gives you monies that stick together.. I usually laugh and say wow what a tip. Most of the time they will give it to me, even if it's a dollar or three.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Honesty should not have a price tag, or go on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

My conscience would get the best of me too; I couldn't bear to take it. However, I would just hope that I would notice the mistake, especially if it were small. I just take a quick glance at the change they give me; I don't really spend time counting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I would and have... especially at my local shop where I know the faces... some snotty bítch in some random shop on the other hand? fuck her, I'm gettin mah change on.

I would hand the money back and I would hope that people would do the same to me if I make a similar mistake.

There's nothing worse than your till being down with no excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Despite the fact that I do in fact have tickles, I do not have a conscience. I very rarely let the cashier know of their mistake and the few times I have, I've kicked myself afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Macker wrote:
    I thought you work as a barman and pocket the costomers change after a minute or two
    the offie is part of the pub, and that is completly different. If I was in a shop and gave the cashier a fiver for a cost of 4.60 and walked away, I wouldn't expect the cashier to chase me down. If that happens it's because I don't care about the change

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was in the bank last week (raiding my savings:o ) asked for 50 and she handed it out and I asked for my current account balance while I was at it and after she told me she handed me out another 50, she must have forgotten that she'd already gave it to me, like the op I handed it straight back but when I left the thought did cross my mind, what if I hadn't handed it back?, would it have been missed by the bank etc... but all in all I was glad I handed it back.. Karma and all that:rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Working for Bus Eireann, where if we're down, it comes out of our pocket, I'd always tell them.

Some people are pretty ignorant when you do though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'd rent out another few games with the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

When I was young and foolish and I worked behind a bar....

The manager used to cash up while we were all cleaning up after closing. He would rant at how much each of the tills were down and how 'careless' we were with giving back change.

Anyway I used to make sure my till wasn't down by shortchanging (50p at the most) the really cocky sh1tes who used to come in and were too drunk/arrogant/rich to notice.

I feel bad about it now, but then I didn't want to be accused of stealing from the till and lose my job or worse. Morally I was mixed up back then.

(Turns out at least 2 of the staff were theiving).

I always check my change now wherever I am !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I have tried time and time again to get myself into the habit of leaving the note the customer handed me on the til, take out the change, and then put their note in (so that I am never unsure what they gave me). but it is very hard to get into, I feel anyway, especially if it is busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I was in a shop last week, one of the major chains of convenience stores... I paid with a fifty, the assistant checked the note to see if it was a dud then tried to hand me back the change of a twenty... I still wonder if this was a mistake or a scam.

On topic... I always let them know they made a mistake. I've been there when the float is down and fingers get pointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I'd probably mention it but odds are I wouldn't even notice.
    I was in McDonalds one time and the woman at the till forgot to ask me for the money, pointed it out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to be honest, i rarely check my change that closely, so if im ever short changed by a few coins, i wouldnt notice.

o nthe other hand, if i got a couple of twenties back from a 5iver, then i think id spot that.

and yes, i would give it back. im not that straped for cash that i need to dip into someone elses pocket for money. and even if i was, i would give it back. im just not the type that would take advantage of a situation like that.

iwould also hand in a wallet to the police if i found one, with all intact.

now, if i found a 50 on the pavement, that would be completely different. that i would keep.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I'd give it back. A week or two back in tesco a wad of fifties fell out of a young womens purse beside me, I don't know how she didn't notice, it was even so damn loud when it hit the ground. Picked it up and gave it to her. I had to explain three times before she copped on as to what was happening. "huh!?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i'd keep it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Happened to me a while back when I was buying my lunch in SUpervalue. Gave a five, teller was distracted, gave me change of a fifty. First reaction was "Huh. that's weird. Did I have a fifty in my pocket?"

So I went outside, checked my pockets, and the fiver I'd known was there was definately gone. So back in I went and gave her the €45. Could never have knowingly done that to her, the money would have come out of her wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i once got an extra euro and kept it but if it was an extra note i'd give it back

however, my phone network has undercharged me on my bill three times and i never told them because they're ****

Advertisement