Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart going belly up?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yep, I can't make emergency calls, I can't receive calls, nothing works. The Broadband just says "cable disconnected".

I'm living in Dublin.

My BB is still working (hence this echo in the wilderness from Smartland)
    I've just tried dialling out and it works but dialling into my Smart pone number gives 'network busy' tone.
    I'm on the Santry Exchange

rockal wrote:
    According to Smart techie "we are still here and broadband is still working for everyone" as of 7pm

It's like the Last Stand - I feel guilty cancelling my DD but will reactivate it the second I know things are going to be okay for their BB service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dialling out for me bizarrely only working for mobiles - broadband as solid as ever. 4.89Mbps down, 508kbps up (beat that Eircom).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Funding in place this evening I hear.

Phone services back on overnight or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Just checked with a few of my friends and as far as i can tell Cork City Smart telecom Broadband service has not yet been affected.

Ok so As far as we know Dublin has been affected. Where else????

I HATE EIRSCUM:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

This from the comreg site - doesn't look good. I particularly liked this bit:
    We would like to acknowledge eircom’s co-operation for putting in place these interim measures which will give a service to the affected customers.

Good of him to include his contact details at the bottom of the statement:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He is always at all the meetings so feel free to ring him for an update if you need to know what the latest story is :p

digitaldr wrote:
    This from the comreg site - doesn't look good. I particularly liked this bit:

Good of him to include his contact details at the bottom of the statement:)

Agreed this does not look good at all - http://www.comreg.ie/whats_new/default.asp?ctype=5&nid=102458

So now that smart is more than likely all dried up where should we direct our business???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Guerrilla Radio - im ony telling you what ive been told...
    a liquidator was appointed today according to senior sales staff...
    a company that is 26million euro in debt and losing 3million euro a month is going to find it very hard to find funding in any scenario especially when the compitition have blind sided them every step of the way.

There is no doubt that smart have provided a good service, god, im pissed off that they couldnt provide it in my area!!!

but im gonna guess from the tolloqing press release from comreg that they are going to liquidate...
    pay attention the the specific part where it says that consumers will be able to select a provider.
    comreg wrote:
    As a result of a commercial dispute between eircom and Smart Telecom many Smart Telecom customers have experienced disruption to their service(s).

A press release has been issued today- click here; the main points for consumers are:-

An interim arrangement has been reached which will result in a telephone service being restored to affected customers within three days.

Customers will be allowed to make local and national calls and calls to emergency services and may receive incoming calls.

When service has been restored, as part of the interim solution, customers can select a telephone provider of their choice.
    comreg wrote:
    Page 1/1 ComReg PR031006
    ComReg announces interim solution to assist
    Smart Telecom customers
    Today ComReg held intensive discussions with eircom in an effort to assist customers
    whose fixed-line services have been affected as a result of difficulties at Smart Telecom.
    Our objectives were, firstly, to put in place an interim telephone service for affected
    customers and, secondly, to enable them to choose their own operator for the long term.
    ComReg is pleased to announce that the solution reached will result in service being
    restored to affected customers within three days. Customers will be allowed to make local
    calls and national calls, as well as now being able to make calls to the emergency services.
    Customers may also receive incoming calls.
    When the interim arrangements have been implemented, customers will be able to select
    any telephone provider of their choice. This will provide operators with an opportunity to
    inform customers of the range of different products and services that are available in the
    marketplace.
    We would like to acknowledge eircom’s co-operation for putting in place these interim
    measures which will give a service to the affected customers.
    ComReg has put information on its website www.askcomreg.ie giving customers the
    necessary information that is required to select a new operator.
    ENDS
    Issued By Tom Butler
    Public Affairs Manager, ComReg
    Ph: 01 804 9639 Mobile: 087 2536358 tom.butler@comreg.ie
    Media Release- 3 October 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

I'm in Dungarvan Co Waterford and i've been unable to make outgoing calls since this morning, incoming calls still accepted.

I need this like a hole in the head considering, I work from home a lot. I transferred to BT this morning hopefully the move won't take too long.

Flop

• Advertisement

Will they be wanting their modems back? If not better get it up on Ebay before the market's flooded!

flop wrote:
    I'm in dungarvan Co Waterford and i've been unable to make outgoing calls since this evening. incoming calls still accepted.

I need this like a hole in the head considering, I work from home.

I transferred to BT this mornign hopefully the move won't take too long.

Flop

Was your broadband affected???

digitaldr wrote:
    Will they be wanting their modems back? If not better get it up on Ebay before the market's flooded!

Hey thats not a bad idea - I dont think they will be looking for them back but best wait and see:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

digitaldr wrote:
    I'd like to keep mine as a memento of our wonderful time together.
    Though if memory serves from my read of the T&C, the equipment remains the property of Smart Telco... so be carefull.
    Maybe they'll be selling them on ebay to pay their four million euro phonebill to eircom.
    I mean, I once got a ~IR£600 phonebill when I had ISDN with eircom, but man... 4 million, that's pretty rough. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Im in Limerick and like others here I can make outbound calls, inbound calls get the "Network Busy" reply and my broadband is fine.

What really sickens me is that a lot of Smart's old customers will probably go back to Eircom - obviously not ones who post here though!

digitaldr wrote:
    What really sickens me is that a lot of Smart's old customers will probably go back to Eircom - obviously not ones who post here though!

Agreed :)

I HATE EIRSCUM

digitaldr wrote:

No way no how. I detest them.

Good to see someone's still working a smart.

God I'm not looking forward to changing ISPs again - I reckon BT will be getting my business - I wonder will the process be even slower than usual given the amount of old Smart customers looking for a new provider. Maybe I'll go with Eircom after all - bet you they're prepared for an influx of new customers - only joking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

digitaldr wrote:
    Mmm, the thing is though, I'll probably end up back on an eircom reseller... and still be limited to whatever speeds/prices eircon want to set.
    So what're my options considering I:
    a). Hate eircom.
    b). Am a disgruntled ex-BTBroadband customer.
    c). Can't get NTL.
    d). Want a decent, stable connection with low pings and think anything wireless would be too unpredictable/unstable.

I'll probably end up on UTV, but again with the eircom wholesale rubbish and back to paying line rental for a phone I hardly use. :rolleyes:

My internet access options haven't sucked this badly since I was kicked off Esat 'No Limits' for exceeding their non-existant limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

digitaldr wrote:

Not me...no way. I will Chorus a crack first.

digitaldr wrote:
    Good to see someone's still working a smart.

God I'm not looking forward to changing ISPs again - I reckon BT will be getting my business - I wonder will the process be even slower than usual given the amount of old Smart customers looking for a new provider. Maybe I'll go with Eircom after all - bet you they're prepared for an influx of new customers - only joking:D

A lot of people are saying they will be switching to BT. Although i agree they are really the next best option from Smart Due to the fact they are unlikey to be taken down by EIRSCUM, isnt there broadband speed a lot slower???

Im not to sure on this fact so please feel free to correct me as im open to all options at this stage BAR EIRSCUM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Looked at Comreg website and followed link to callcosts.ie to choose new operator and when I filled in the details and submitted one of the top three options was................Smart Telecom :rolleyes: :D

It's horrible - everyone is just waiting for the light to go out...:mad:
    Bloody useless, useless country:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Hey DonkeyStyle, I'm looking at Magnet as a possible contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

In the end of the day Smart should have paid their bills.
    They entered an agreement with Eircom. They broke that agreement.
    Did they think that Eircom was going to continue to have freeloader hanging off them. Eircom is not s charity. Smart were given plenty of written notices.

I worked for a company before and they were similar to smart. They ignored paying the landlord for a full year and then winged anout being evicted.
    They gave us our wage cheque saying "Your next one could be a couple of days to a month late - hope that is okay". Cheek! Eircom were right to pull the plug.

I see Magnet have a number on their main page for Smart Customers to call...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

delah wrote:

Been trawling the websites and they all seem to have a number for Smart Telecom customers to call!

Been using UTV for BB with no worries or problems - have UTV talk on that line and had home phone with Smart - at least it stops children from racking up huge bill for calls to mobiles!!!!!!!! :D

delah wrote:

I see that to - http://www.magnet.ie/index.shtml

Has anyone tryed calling them yet??
    I wonder can you just get your broadband account transferred over to them without signing up to there entertainment packages

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not ruling out Smart BB being taken over by someone other than the Eircom cartel.

Until there are official announcements from Smart, I'm not jumping the best BB ship in the country.

Advertisement