Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelcon: Who's going?

Options
  • 01-10-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who's planning to go to Gaelcon at the end of this month? I plan on being there on the Saturday for the L5R and Vampire LARPs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I will be there and for most of the weekend.
    I tend to play the the tabletop rpg but may be branching out into some of the larps this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Unless they turn me down, I'll be staffing, SO I should be there all weekend. Tempted to do the Vampire LARP....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Raphael wrote:
    Tempted to do the Vampire LARP....
    Be strong Raphael, no good can come from a LARP.

mittgollumel8.jpg

Be strong Raphael, no good can come from a LARP.

oh oh but there may be more amusing photos of R4ph to be gotten.

258378083_e96bd3163a_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I'll be staffing a fair chunk of the wargames sat/sun. The rest of the weekend I don't know what I'll be up to.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    oh oh but there may be more amusing photos of R4ph to be gotten.

258378083_e96bd3163a_m.jpg
    ...damnit janet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Raphael wrote:
    ...damnit janet!
    Yes damnit janet, if you post a picture post a hi resolution one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I won't make it, again.

Sarky wrote:
    I won't make it, again.

ah bugger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Lets face it - embarrasing LARP pictures are what conventions are all about. I lost any illusions of shame after travesties like this:
    http://www.camarillaireland.org/home/photos/photos/larp_sat/larp_sat%20024.jpg

Coventions - where you spend your days trying not to make eye-contact with some of the real weirdos, and marvelling at the number of people with beards.

• Advertisement

Ah so you are one of the Dundalk Camers.
    Actually i tend to spend a silly ammount of time playing tabletop rpg breaking gms and freaking out the weridos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

This will be the first gaelcon in a long long time (6 years mabye) that i wont be able to make it :mad:

Im actually playing a little LARP of my own creation its a self titled peice called: 'proposing to my girlfriend in a forigen country' tho im not sure how it ends yet i havent actually written the end i think i can be forgiven for missing this years gaelcon for that ?????? right ??????

No. Get out.

(congrats)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

LARP is for monekys.

Really ?
    What makes you think that ?
    Whave you ever seen a monkey larping ?
    Are you sure it was a monkey ?
    Maybe it was someone Larping as a monkey and they were just so good and so into it you were fooled ?
    Was it a camerilla game ?
    Wow a monkey larper in vampire playing a Makie ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Who told you about my Vampire character? >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm thinkin of heading to this with a mate of mine. I was just wondering how accessable the games are? We haven't really been playing any of the games that are on this year and so we'd have to learn them. I know there are beginner games, but I would like to have a go with some of the more advanced games. Do I stand a chance?

I have found most of the gms running the talbes and great even when you tell them you have not played that system much or at all.

Most of the people playing are helpful and friendly as well role playing is role playing once you get a grasp on the charchter and make and effort to interact with the other player you should be grand.

Do tell the gm you don't know the game mechanics and just as him/her to let you know what dice to roll when you need to, if you need too.

Some more info on the beginners games would be good, I know few first timers that are going and they woudl like to give one of then a bash on the saturday morning but do want to know more about what the beginers games are.

Yeah, I just didn't want to know too much to play the beginner games and too little for the others, lol. Sure, I'll give them both a whirl. I've nothing to lose except my self respect, and I lost that when I met my last girlfriend! :D

Having a quick gander on the Gaelcon Website just spotted this:

Beginner Roleplaying Games –
    This year we have specfically designed some roleplaying games, which are geared towards those who have never roleplayed before. Games will be running all weekend long.

So it looks like they'll be running beginner games hunamji so i'd definatly go would be great craic id say espsically if your worried about how good/bad you'll play. Btw you cant actually play a RPG badly its all about having a bit of craic so id say the above would be a good one for you to try out I've been to loads of these cons mate trust me the first one or two are always the most intimidating after the first hour you'll have a blast trust me

• Advertisement

'AL wrote:
    [EN']Btw you cant actually play a RPG badly

Sounds like a challenge to me! :D

Actually, just thought of another question. Is it worth pre-booking stuff?Just wondering if anything is likely to be booked out by the time I get there.

Im almost sure you can only pre-book RPG's on the day of the con IE pre book saturdays games on Sat morning and Sundays games on sunday morning Etc you cannot however prebook Sundays or Mondays games on a Sat im almost sure its only on the day first-come-first servered type jobbie!

i would whole heartdly recommend you do pre book them as i always do! There are a limited number of spaces avaiable depending on how many GM's they have to run the game with so many people at the con and the number of places are usually 5-6 players to a table so as you can imagine the really popular games sell out in minutes.

I have been asking on the irishgaming mailing list bout the beginers rpgs but haven't had a informative answer yet.

I havent herd anything from the gaelcon organizers yet either but even if they get cancelled on the day just walk up to a table and start playing
    its lots of fun.

Speaking of which its about that time of the decade again when i was thinking of running an online RGP again the boards.ie PBP (play by posting)
    if anyone was interested thinking of call of cuthulu this time nothing too horrific i'll post a new thread about it if anyone is interested?

On a note about the beginner games,

we have
    Call of Cthulhu by Stephen Bradley
    A Fantasy Game by Stephen Bradley
    Another Fantasy Game by Eoin Leahy
    A Sci Fi Game by Wayne O'Connor
    And a Comedy Horror by Nick Huggins

I think they are being run as when needed over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I might go along to this. I hear good things about it.

Also, I think it may be my fault the pic of R4ph is so small, I don't think I ever uploaded a high res one. Though mind you, someone else might have another similar hard copy of that one.

Die plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Myself and simu will be there with Seosaph. I've no idea if I'll have time outside of the wetting of the baby's head but I may stagger into a Larp or two. Gar's looks interesting. :)

Raphael wrote:
    Die plz.

Umm....no.

• Advertisement

Well, that was fun.

Advertisement