Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yer Polish ones in Fair City

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Yeah, thats very true. none of the main characters have been seen in it in ages. And I can never ever understand why they spend ages developing a storyline, and then, smash bang boom... its gone and never heard of again. The Robin and Jimmy one is a perfect example as is the Mannion and his daughter storyline another fine example. Fair Sh!tty (sorry I mean City) has been doing this for ages. They drag storylines on for ages, never really give them a serious conclusion as such, and then they have all these foreigners in the show now, with the half of em not being able to act for sh!te. Not being racist here, but I'm only saying whatever one else is thinking, aren't i?

Besides, it would be unfair just to pinpoint the foreighners as being dreadful actors, your man's (married to Olga) nephew is just painful, as is Dominic, and Ken... dreadfuyl dreadful actors. Plus add Mike's woman (Ken's ex-wife) to that list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dude99

Olga is actually played by an Irish actor, Brenda Brooks, and that is not her natural accent - so in fairness I think she's doing a great job. Consider also that she's acting opposite two real Russians - Lana and Sergei, so it must be quite tough to do. I think another Irish actor played a foreigner before, the Brazilian au-pair that McAleer had was also Irish.

As for the acting in general - there are a lot of good actors on Fair City too, but for lots of reasons, they don't come across well. I hate, for instance, the way it is shot, with static camera-positions. Compare this to moving-camera shots you'll see in the British soaps. Two people standing in a conversation at the exact same point outside Phelans, is a prime example. Rarely will we see people walking and talking at the same time and this leads to very static performances.

As for the script-writing - don't get me started. I think the actors are generally doing a good job given the surroundings and conditions they are in. Of course there will be a couple of crap actors too - but I think they're the exception. If you watched the Fair City actors in a better production, I guarantee they'd come across better as actors.

I think the directors and writers need to take some risks to make it better.

...meant to say before. Does anyone recognise Tulayeh(??) - Ramal's mother, as the same actress who played Gita - Sanjay's wife in Eastenders in the 1990s. She was a principal character in Eastenders for years and is now in Fair City :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gita_Kapoor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

dude99 wrote:
    Olga is actually played by an Irish actor, Brenda Brooks, and that is not her natural accent - so in fairness I think she's doing a great job. Consider also that she's acting opposite two real Russians - Lana and Sergei, so it must be quite tough to do.

Really? Fair play to her, she sounds very authentic!
    dude99 wrote:
    meant to say before. Does anyone recognise Tulayeh(??) - Ramal's mother, as the same actress who played Gita - Sanjay's wife in Eastenders in the 1990s.

Yep I noticed that ages ago, funny how she ended up on Fair City! It was strange seeing the actress who played Madge Bishop in Neighbours appear in Emmerdale a few weeks ago too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WasBanned

dude99 wrote:
    Olga is actually played by an Irish actor, Brenda Brooks,

I am really surprised. i see that she was interviewed on Pat Kenny's late show once but had the volume down. I really thought she was Polish/Russian in real life. - Still bad actor/actress though :)

Malachy was a bit of a thespian actor when he was in it. I liked ken, where is he supposed to be now?

Andy.

• Advertisement

WasBanned wrote:
    Malachy was a bit of a thespian actor when he was in it. I liked ken, where is he supposed to be now?

Malachy has just finished a big storyline around his affair with Sue and Kay's departure from the series. He will be back in it over the next few weeks, and Ken has been in it regularly for the last couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eddiedublin

Just joined & came across the Fair City Thread... I do watch Fair City & I like most of it... I like the Russian Ones, They are better looking than the Irish ones :-))))

I don't get your man Tim... I think he is brutal.... I don't get his fake northside accent... & he is always the same in every scene.

And when are they getting rid of the Indian Family - their story is painfull. Where is yer womans "Sholah's" accent supposd to be from? Answers on a Postcard Please - RTE Donnybrook, Dublin 4. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 humphty

After reading this thread I'm more sure than ever that Glenroe should be brought back!
    Ye wouldn't find them selling out.
    Miley would still be chattin away about pointless,random stuff thats totally unrelated to the events in the country.
    Legend programme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I think they should axe Fair City. Its so bad lately that its gotten to the stage that i no longer watch it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

dude99 wrote:
    ...meant to say before. Does anyone recognise Tulayeh(??) - Ramal's mother, as the same actress who played Gita - Sanjay's wife in Eastenders in the 1990s. She was a principal character in Eastenders for years and is now in Fair City :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gita_Kapoor

Yes. It's like a bad joke.

She was appalling in Eastenders - 'Ooh Sanjay Ooh Sanjay Ooh Sanjay' seemed to be extent of her vocabulary - and is no better here.

• Advertisement

memphis wrote:
    I think they should axe Fair City. Its so bad lately that its gotten to the stage that i no longer watch it anymore.

I agree it's got worse lately. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I think the producers need to take a few risks.

They should analyse the British soaps and see what elements of them are different (and invariably better) than Fair City and then apply what they've learned, to make FC more watchable. It can be done, it would just take committment and more importantly money, lack of which perhaps, is the root cause of the problem anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellowhill

I don't know how you can say fair city could learn from english soaps. Sure, sometimes fair city isn't the best but eastenders or emmerdale are just as crap. Overall as an Irish soap I think fair city is fairly good with good actors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yellowhill wrote:
    I don't know how you can say fair city could learn from english soaps. Sure, sometimes fair city isn't the best but eastenders or emmerdale are just as crap. Overall as an Irish soap I think fair city is fairly good with good actors.

Bad acting, bad scripts, poor lighting, poor editing. It makes me cringe! (then again i aint a soap fan)

Advertisement