Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion - Right or Wrong???

Options
  • 23-09-2006 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Carried over from Personal Matters as it would appear that the depth of the discussion is beyond what can be tolerated over there...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you know, I don't want to get ahead of myself here but I think this thread has the very real potential to generate some answers to this question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I remember one PI thread where someone after an abortion posted asking for links to helpful groups, and certain posters (inlcuding one or two mods iirc) gave her links/addresses to folks who would sort one out in England. To which one poster rightly replied "I thought this wasnt a medical form"

Tbh I dont know how they can sleep at night. Its no better than telling some nutbar that you can get him guns if he needs them, and he ends up killing innocent people with them.
    Actually,neither results in killing a baby. Killing a foetus,yeah.

tbh thats like arguing the difference between an Opel and a Vauxhall. As for the poster who said she had an abortion and doesnt regret or think about it for one second, sorry but that is fcuking cold. How someone could murder their own child like that, it beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You are entitle to you opinoin on this and how you would deal with the matter is up to you if you were in that situation, how others view it and chose to is up to them.

I sleep pretty well at night knowing that the process to procure a termination or an abortion is not easy and there are many checks and blanaces.
    I would rather someone once they have made up thier mind on the matter have a safe medical proceedure then a backstreet abortion or dose themselves with herbs or meds to induce one.

There have always been ways to stop a pregancy, there have always been unwanted pregancies, at least women aren't dying from unsafe proceedure or killing them sleves rather then carrying the child to term.

Yes there should be better support and understanding for those that wish to have the child and give it up for adoption but there aren't :(

Ideally everyone should practice safer sex and only have sex if they can deal with the consequences but people don't.

We have a huge lack of sex and contraception education in this country.
    Every year we still have newborns left to die and those are only the ones we hear about :(

Life isn't perfect life is messy and utnil we put contraceptives in the water, educate people properly and have good suport systems for those who keep thier child and those who give it up for adoption there will be women who will be in a crisis pregancy situation and will want an abortion.

And as I have said better a safe medical proceedure then a back street abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Tbh I dont know how they can sleep at night. Its no better than telling some nutbar that you can get him guns if he needs them, and he ends up killing innocent people with them.

Foetus != person.

Foetus does equal lump of not-sentient cells. I'd be no more worried about getting rid an early term pregnancy than I'd be upset about washing my hands after sex.
    As for the poster who said she had an abortion and doesnt regret or think about it for one second, sorry but that is fcuking cold.

"Cold" is clearly a subjective term. Perhaps she is just better informed than you. Early term foetuses are not sentient, they don't count as people.

Out of curiosity, do you support the morning after pill?
    How someone could murder their own child like that, it beggars belief.

Foetus != child.

Murdering a child is one thing. Getting rid of an unwanted pregnancy is quite different. One is a person, the other is a small clump of cells.
    Thaed wrote:
    And as I have said better a safe medical proceedure then a back street abortion.

On that we are very much in agreement. Its also the logic I apply to recreational drug use and prostitution.
    Yes there should be better support and understanding for those that wish to have the child and give it up for adoption but there aren't

For those that want it, sure. But it shouldn't be the only option. I strongly feel tha if someone doesn't want progeny, whether they have to raise them or not, then its their choice.
    Mordeth wrote:
    you know, I don't want to get ahead of myself here but I think this thread has the very real potential to generate some answers to this question.

Sarcasm...overload...

Zillah wrote:
    I'd be no more worried about getting rid an early term pregnancy than I'd be upset about washing my hands after sex.

While I am prochoice in general for the sake of others and personally believe adoption is better and 3rd trimester terminations are morally wrong,

I find that comment offensive.

Easy for you to say as you are male.
    From the 2nd week of a pregancy once implantation has occured the chemical process and changes that happen to a woman are no small matter and even at 6 weeks a termination has a physical recovery time never mind the mental and emotional recovery.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    From the 2nd week of a pregancy once implantation has occured the chemical process and changes that happen to a woman are no small matter and even at 6 weeks a termination has a physical recovery time never mind the mental and emotional recovery.

Give me a bit more credit than that! I was only speaking in terms of the "Abortion is baby murder!" argument. My feelings for the woman and my empathy with her situation is another matter entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Thaedydal wrote:
    Easy for you to say as you are male.
    Way to go on the generalisations, personally I'd have thought you'd have known better.

/sigh.

That was not a generalisation it was directed specifically at Zillah,
    but if I offended anyone in my reaction to being offended, I apologise.

Yes, men do not under go all physical changes during a pregancy but many Daddy's to be are hugely attached to the idea of thier child to be and emotionally bond over a short space of time.

This is for the most part evolutional as wanting what is best for the baby to be which is the continuation of thier dna means that Daddy to be will care and cater for Mammy to be during the pregancy.

There has not been enough research to the change in the pheromones given of by a pregant woman and the effects they can have on men.

A woman seeking an abortion is from a biological imperative working against her body and man for the most part is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

To TheGopher,the quote you took from PI is mine and I have not had an abortion.

Think you might be confusing me with someone else....

Also,I think there is a flaw with the title of this thread. I mean,pro-lifers think abortion is wrong but people who are pro-choice don't necessarily think abortion is "right" per se,they just think that it is acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Tha Gopher wrote:
    I remember one PI thread where someone after an abortion posted asking for links to helpful groups, and certain posters (inlcuding one or two mods iirc) gave her links/addresses to folks who would sort one out in England. To which one poster rightly replied "I thought this wasnt a medical form"

tbh thats like arguing the difference between an Opel and a Vauxhall. As for the poster who said she had an abortion and doesnt regret or think about it for one second, sorry but that is fcuking cold. How someone could murder their own child like that, it beggars belief.

Youve Hit the nai right on the head. Im not talking about the gray areas. Im talikng about the wanton mutilation of a small child to facilitate a cover up. Nothing is more important than life. Sombody is upset when each person passes on. The same applies to the small child.

The concept of Pro Choice is a terrible fallacy. Those who wish to murder Children use the idea that it is fascistic to tell a woman what to do with her own fertility. In fact in the non grey areas the women should never be allowed control anything except nurture the child that lives inside of her.

Furthermore, many women suffer far more from having an abortion than carrying through with the pregnancy. They suffer both mentally and physically in the wake of an abortion

I read an article in the Sindo where a woman who had two abortions explained how she was still pro choice. Her reason for the second abortion was she felt that she couldnt love the child as much as her first born. Her first ASbortion was due to the fact that she felt she was too young to put her life on hold (age 21). Each child she carried (3 children) was created by a different man. Frankly the best form of contraception for that woman would be to close her legs !

Abortion is the most negative thing a physician can induce. While I would never fraternise with Youth Defence or Army of God or any of those scumbags who engage in violent tactics to make their point, I would encourage people never to have, promote or advocate abortion. It is useless

• Advertisement

LadyJ wrote:
    To TheGopher,the quote you took from PI is mine and I have not had an abortion.

Think you might be confusing me with someone else....

Also,I think there is a flaw with the title of this thread. I mean,pro-lifers think abortion is wrong but people who are pro-choice don't necessarily think abortion is "right" per se,they just think that it is acceptable.

They think that it is acceptable ? WELL IF YOU ASK ME THEY ARE STILL ADVOCATING IT ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Well Nobody Asked You

Nya Nya Nya

Het-Field wrote:
    They think that it is acceptable ? WELL IF YOU ASK ME THEY ARE STILL ADVOCATING IT ?

I'm always amazed at how all-caps and bad punctuation are so commonly combined with awful arguments.
    Im talikng about the wanton mutilation of a small child to facilitate a cover up. Nothing is more important than life. Sombody is upset when each person passes on. The same applies to the small child.

How do you define "child" exactly? An early term foetus is not aware in any regard. You kill more cells when you blow your nose.

Do you agree with the morning after pill? (This question has not been answered once by any of the anti-abortion people)
    The concept of Pro Choice is a terrible fallacy. Those who wish to murder Children use the idea that it is fascistic to tell a woman what to do with her own fertility. In fact in the non grey areas the women should never be allowed control anything except nurture the child that lives inside of her.

When you say something is a fallacy you are then required to explain, logically, why. Not make arbitrary statements such as "in fact in the non grey areas..."

If I apply to your logic I could argue, for instance "Tough love is a fallacy because the only way to help someone is by being nice." It has no argument, it carries no point, its just an opinion.
    Furthermore, many women suffer far more from having an abortion than carrying through with the pregnancy. They suffer both mentally and physically in the wake of an abortion

Your argument here would appear to be "It can have bad consequences, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to do it." So no drinking, smoking, driving, fastfood or dancing...
    Frankly the best form of contraception for that woman would be to close her legs !

Yes.

But aside from insulting a promiscuous woman you've made no point here.
    Abortion is the most negative thing a physician can induce.

Unless of course the women doesn't want a baby, wherein the physician has just saved her from a life of misery.
    I would encourage people never to have, promote or advocate abortion. It is useless

Useless? Aside from all those times it made it so women didn't have to have babies they really really didn't want. Seems quite useful when it let Sally go to college, or stopped Sarah from ruining her working class family's finances, or stopped heroin-addict Laura from raising an apocalypse of a child.
    Thaed wrote:
    That was not a generalisation it was directed specifically at Zillah,
    but if I offended anyone in my reaction to being offended, I apologise.

I appear to be fair game for unfair accusations however... :rolleyes:

Zillah wrote:

So are aren't male ?

Again likening an abortion to the blowing of the nose or the washing of hands is callous.

Zillah wrote:
    I'm always amazed at how all-caps and bad punctuation are so commonly combined with awful arguments.

How do you define "child" exactly? An early term foetus is not aware in any regard. You kill more cells when you blow your nose.

Do you agree with the morning after pill? (This question has not been answered once by any of the anti-abortion people)

When you say something is a fallacy you are then required to explain, logically, why. Not make arbitrary statements such as "in fact in the non grey areas..."

If I apply to your logic I could argue, for instance "Tough love is a fallacy because the only way to help someone is by being nice." It has no argument, it carries no point, its just an opinion.

Your argument here would appear to be "It can have bad consequences, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to do it." So no drinking, smoking, driving, fastfood or dancing...

Yes.

But aside from insulting a promiscuous woman you've made no point here.

Unless of course the women doesn't want a baby, wherein the physician has just saved her from a life of misery.

Useless? Aside from all those times it made it so women didn't have to have babies they really really didn't want. Seems quite useful when it let Sally go to college, or stopped Sarah from ruining her working class family's finances, or stopped heroin-addict Laura from raising an apocalypse of a child.

1.The excessive caps lock were for emphisis, clearly you couldnt see that, so I wont waste any more time.

2.I believe the morning after pill to be an abortive procedure. In fact I believe it to be the most callous method of termination. It appears to be guilt free, and it is made out to be an easy form of contraception. Weather you believe the "foetus" to be a baby or simply a "clump of cells", once the pill is taken, it doesnt exist any more. GIven that I see it as a baby I would classify the Mornng after pill to be an abortion

3. The abortion has bad concequences all round. For the mother there is a much higher risk of health problems, both mentallly and physically. Furthermore, the baby does not get a chance to live its life. In fact abortion is an attack on both the mother and child. To compare abortion to driving, drinking, fast food is absolutly glib, and it is irrelevant to this argument.

4.Insulting a promiscuious woman. Frankly I dont think ill shed too man tears, or have too many sleepless nights over that one. If people cant close their legs, they should accept the concequences. The baby should not have to suffer. The woman has the choice to have sex (of course not in a rape, but ill leave that one for another day). The woman also has the choice to protect herself (im not advocating artificial contraception here). If that fails, the baby should not be the one to suffer. And with proper care the mother does not have to suffer either

5. Sally, Sarah, Laura have the choice to have sex. In Ireland the constitution comes down on the side of the child. I think its callous to value a college degree over a life. People need to think about what reprecussions sex migh have on their family situation.

Furthermore, abortion is a very negative procedure. When the woman goes to the hospital she has her own life and the life of another with her. Once the procedure is finished there is only her life. Again weather you see the foetus as a baby or a clump of cells, you must remeber that that baby or clump of cells is their own. Not the mothers

Het-Field wrote:
    1.The excessive caps lock were for emphisis, clearly you couldnt see that, so I wont waste any more time.

Oh I see that, I've seen it a thousand times and its as crude and inneffective as ever.
    2.I believe the morning after pill to be an abortive procedure. In fact I believe it to be the most callous method of termination. It appears to be guilt free, and it is made out to be an easy form of contraception. Weather you believe the "foetus" to be a baby or simply a "clump of cells", once the pill is taken, it doesnt exist any more. GIven that I see it as a baby I would classify the Mornng after pill to be an abortion

Right, its nice to have someone finally address that.
    3. The abortion has bad concequences all round. For the mother there is a much higher risk of health problems, both mentallly and physically. Furthermore, the baby does not get a chance to live its life. In fact abortion is an attack on both the mother and child. To compare abortion to driving, drinking, fast food is absolutly glib, and it is irrelevant to this argument.

No, it can have bad consequences. It can also stop women from ruining their lives. Its a case by case basis and its their choice.
    4.Insulting a promiscuious woman. Frankly I dont think ill shed too man tears, or have too many sleepless nights over that one. If people cant close their legs, they should accept the concequences.

Uh, I was just pointing out that you made no actual point, you were just insulting someone. Which is all you've still done on this point.
    The baby should not have to suffer.

Lump of cells can't suffer. Then theres an abortion. Then theres no clump of cells. There was no baby, and no suffering.
    The woman has the choice to have sex (of course not in a rape, but ill leave that one for another day). The woman also has the choice to protect herself (im not advocating artificial contraception here). If that fails, the baby should not be the one to suffer.

Small clusters of cells do not suffer. Its a woman's choice to make life or not. Until those cells are self aware, there is no baby.
    5. Sally, Sarah, Laura have the choice to have sex.

But they chose to have it. Now we're here, with pregnant girls whos lives will be ruined by it. Your solution seems to be time travel.

I think its callous to value a college degree over a life.

Perhaps. But "life" is an ambiguous definition. If a woman choses no to have a child (by not having sex) she is choosing her degree over "life". In both cases there was no "baby" destroyed. A cluster of unaware cells is not a baby.
    People need to think about what reprecussions sex migh have on their family situation.

Yes, but once again we can't go back in time so we have to make the best of a bad situation.
    Furthermore, abortion is a very negative procedure.

Specious and irrelevant.
    When the woman goes to the hospital she has her own life and the life of another with her.[

Until the foetus is self aware then there is only one life.
    Once the procedure is finished there is only her life. Again weather you see the foetus as a baby or a clump of cells, you must remeber that that baby or clump of cells is their own. Not the mothers

A bunch of unaware cells do not have a life of their own.
    Thaed wrote:
    Again likening an abortion to the blowing of the nose or the washing of hands is callous.

Dammit Thaed! I'm explaining this one more time. In fact, I'm going to quote my previous explanation:
    I wrote:
    Give me a bit more credit than that! I was only speaking in terms of the "Abortion is baby murder!" argument. My feelings for the woman and my empathy with her situation is another matter entirely.

I don't think its callous because there is no baby. The women's feelings don't factor into this, I'm only speaking in terms of the pregnancy/baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Zillah wrote:
    Small clusters of cells do not suffer. Its a woman's choice to make life or not. Until those cells are self aware, there is no baby.
    And when do babies becme self-aware? Babies born within the acceptable time for abortion in England have lived and become normal people. Babies capacity for sentience seems to come on quite early, with babies responding to music from only a few weeks.

It should be noted that most of the time the morning after pill is taken in time to stop fertilisation (don't forget it has to go all the way up the fallopean tubes), and nearly always before implantation, a process that high failure rate. Thus, I wouldn't consider this to be abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think its funny that people go on and on about abortion being wrong, that it is killing a child, but seem to not really consider this properly.

Do any of the anti-abortion people here weep for a dead child when a woman has her period? I doubt it.

So what makes a "person". If one believes that life starts at conception consider this -

You have a zygote. Since this is a "person" according to the anti-abortion crowd, lets call her Mary. Mary should have all the rights that a fully developed person has.

Now, a day later the embroy splits into identical embryos (which will develop to for twins). Ok, so these are "people" as well, we will call one Sue and the other Jackie? You have two individual "persons", since life began at conception right?

Well, the obvious question to most who are aware of this paradox (I didn't come up with it) is what happened to Mary?

Is Mary dead? Did she, the human person granted rights and respect under societ, die? She no longer exists in any meaningful use of the term "person". Where she once was are two developing embroys. Has nature killed Mary?

If she died what was Mary that died? What part died. All her cells are still there, what has been lost? The argument that she was a person makes little sense given that now she doesn't exist, yet nothing has been lost. So did she actually exist in the first place as a person. Or was she just a bunch of replicating cells?

Did Mary turn into Sue and Jackie? That makes little sense also. How can a person, with all the rights that come along with that, turn into two people?

For all the "life begins at conception" people out there you need to get a handle on what you mean by "life".

Because to nature it is just a bunch of multiplying cells. It can split into 2 or more (much more) groups of replicating cells. If nature can do this what meaningful definition can you place on a post-conception zygote or embryo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

This thread has been done to death again, and again, and again....

Abortion is murder!
    A feotus isn't a real person!
    The child has a right to life!
    The woman has the right to do to her body what she chooses!

It's always the same. OP, what do you hope to achieve with this thread?

And when do babies becme self-aware? Babies born within the acceptable time for abortion in England have lived and become normal people. Babies capacity for sentience seems to come on quite early, with babies responding to music from only a few weeks.

Those babies weren't neccessarily aware or capable of suffering though. They continued to develop and grow in an incubator after the pre-mature birth.

Well, here's a very well written article: http://www.parliament.uk/post/pn094.pdf

Here's an exerpt:
    Prof. Fitzgerald's analysis argues that the
    lack of established connections from thalamus to cortex
    until after 22-26 weeks is a strong argument against any
    ability to feel pain (Box 2) - before that point, signals
    coming from peripheral nerves cannot reach the cortex
    and any response (e.g. to touch) will be a result of
    automatic reactions mediated by the spinal cord and
    brain stem1.

So babies can't experience suffering before 22 weeks.
    It should be noted that most of the time the morning after pill is taken in time to stop fertilisation (don't forget it has to go all the way up the fallopean tubes), and nearly always before implantation, a process that high failure rate. Thus, I wouldn't consider this to be abortion.

But it does and has destroyed tens of thousands of fertilised eggs over the years.

Murderer. :rolleyes:
    Wicknight wrote:
    For all the "life begins at conception" people out there you need to get a handle on what you mean by "life".

Precisely. Like I said, the definition of a life is very ambiguous. Excellent hypothetical scenario.
    Zulu wrote:
    This thread has been done to death again, and again, and again....

Abortion is murder!
    A feotus isn't a real person!
    The child has a right to life!
    The woman has the right to do to her body what she chooses!

It's always the same. OP, what do you hope to achieve with this thread?

If you don't want to take part, then go away. Its very simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Zillah wrote:
    Those babies weren't neccessarily aware or capable of suffering though. They continued to develop and grow in an incubator after the pre-mature birth.
    If a baby was born premaure at 20 weeks and was placed in an incubator, and was given a good survival chance, would you allow the mother to kill it, if she did not want it?
    They always look so damned cute and vunerable in those little cylanders witfh all those small ickle tubes that I wouldn't.

Zillah wrote:
    If you don't want to take part, then go away. Its very simple.
    ...or perhaps I can hope to find out what the OP hopes to achieve befreo this decends into the same innane arguments.

Are you the OP? No? Then perhaps you might consider going away ...it's very simple.

If a baby was born premaure at 20 weeks and was placed in an incubator, and was given a good survival chance, would you allow the mother to kill it, if she did not want it?
    They always look so damned cute and vunerable in those little cylanders witfh all those small ickle tubes that I wouldn't.

If studies showed that the child lacked self awareness at that point, then yes, yes I would. But not in this society, far too many pitch forks. Personally I'm comfortable with very early term abortions, after that we start getting close to the blurry line of sentience. Women should be forced to decide before a certain time, knowing full-well the consequences if she declines abortion past that time.
    Zulu wrote:
    ...or perhaps I can hope to find out what the OP hopes to achieve befreo this decends into the same innane arguments.

You're dismissing the entire subject. If you're genuinely curious as to why he was interested in this discussion then PM him or something, bursting in and giving out to us for discussing something you're bored of is poor show indeed.

Zillah wrote:
    You're dismissing the entire subject.
    No, I mearly trying to avoid the usual impass that occurs everytime these discussion are raised.
    If you're genuinely curious as to why he was interested in this discussion then PM him or something,
    I'm asking a valid question. If you don't like it thats your issue. Leave moderating to the mods.
    bursting in and giving out to us for discussing something you're bored of is poor show indeed.
    "bursting in", "giving out to us", over-react much Zillah? Let me tell you what a "poor show" is: ranting at a poster who asks a valid question. How and ever, I'm done explaining myself, OP I await your responce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

As the news has shown last month, we allow fertilsation clinics to destroy fertiles eggs what are not used in IVF treatments.

What is the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Thaedydal wrote:

There have always been ways to stop a pregancy, there have always been unwanted pregancies, at least women aren't dying from unsafe procedure or killing them sleves rather then carrying the child to term.

IMO this is where it gets interesting... 6,000 plus Irish women are not travelling to the UK every year for an abortion for the reasons you have outlined above, for example because they believe that having a baby will kill them or because the birth process/procedure is unsafe as you suggest above. So why argue for abortion on these grounds, it just lowers the level of the debate??? I've never heard of a woman committing suicide after discovering she was pregnant, where are you getting this from???

I didn't say the birthing process was unsafe I was refering to the fact that unlisenced back street proceedures are unsafe and have often resulted in infection or infertility in women and those that don't opt for that method of illegal abortion would use drugs or herbs to induce an abortion which would lead to the possibitly of posioning the woman.

It is only in the last 200 years that abortion was made illegal in most western countries and then legalised.

http://www.feminist.com/resources/ourbodies/abortion.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_abortion

It is somewhere between 6,000 and a possible 9,000 given that women are traveling to spain, holland and sweden who don't keep or diclose figure of forgien women.

Again education is better and why can't we have as they do in the UK free contraception and free gp related visits for contraception for anyone under 25 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Thaedydal wrote:
    Again education is better and why can't we have as they do in the UK free contraception and free gp related visits for contraception for anyone under 25 ?
    No problem in principle with such an approach, so long as it actually reaches the target audience. From such information as we have, it would look like the target audience is 20 - 35 year olds.

http://www.ifpa.ie/abortion/iabst.html

Before prescribing a solution, I think its necessary to put a shape on those raw numbers and actually work out what the problem is. If women in their late twenties are still presenting for abortion in large numbers, it suggests that sex education per se is not the problem. I'd also doubt that its access to services, but clearly that's only a feeling on my part without any evidence whatsoever.

For all the banging on about this issue over the years, I've never seen anyone really offer a coherent picture of what its really about. I think most people agree that abortion should be avoided, if possible. Despite that partial consensus, insight into the issue is largely lacking.

Those in that age group are presenting because they can afford to the cost of traveling and the proceedure which can run from 700 to 2,000 euros depending and most teens simply can't afford to have a termination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

some people are saying its ok to abort foetuses because they don't suffer (as if that has somehow been proven. maybe someone asked them before throwing them in the bin)

but if i give a man an anaesthetic that knocks him out cold, can i then slit his throat because he won't suffer while he's dying?

the issue isn't whether the foetus suffers. the issue is that the foetus is a human being in the making and no one has the right to end its life

as i said in the thread in PI, if i went into the ford factory and smashed up one of the cars while it was still on the assembly line, do you think i could use the defense in court that "it wasn't actually a car yet"?

at what point does an abortion stop being ok?

is it while its one single embryo?

100 cells?

when it starts to look like a baby?

when it kicks?

right up until it leaves the womb?

when it can talk?

when it graduates from college?

and about the whole "her body, her choice" thing: its not her body anymore. once she is pregnant its a similar situation to siamese twins, except one of them can't talk. no one would ever suggest that one siamese twin should be killed so the other one doesn't have to put up with it*. why is it different because one of them is not fully formed yet?

*the important thing there is that the woman's life is not in danger. she simply doesn't want to look after the child. and as i said in the other thread, with adoption she doesn't have to

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement