Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE One's Red Bee Idents to launch late October

Options
  • 19-09-2006 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

Ok this is a thread for info on the new RTE One idents from Red Bee. ONLY POST STUFF IF YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!

A friend did the filming for the new RTE idents (RTE are providing film and Red Bee are doing stuff with it) and he says it will be aired in late OCTOBER.

Insider info (lol):
    - They filmed some footage of a woman making bread
    - They filmed some footage of a teenager looking for their stuff under their bed and
    - They filmed some footage of a kid painting/drawing on the living room wall.

I don't know what that stuff will be used for but I was there when they filmed it and they wouldn't be doing it for nothing. (Actually it's RTE so maybe they would). I guess this means they'll be using live action (or scripted live action if that's possible???) in the new idents.

Also I've seen a few of the old RTE 1 idents used over the last few days (The ones from the 2003 revamp that were dropped, ie the paper boy, the combine harvester, the photographer). Maybe that's just to use them while they can.

I bet it will be October 31 - That's TG4's 10th anniversary and TG4 have now been granted independence from RTE. REVENGE!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I bet it will be October 31 - That's TG4's 10th anniversary and TG4 have now been granted independence from RTE. REVENGE!!!

You think that they would come up with better revenge like sabotaging their news room .... oh wait.... mmmmm
    Also I've seen a few of the old RTE 1 idents used over the last few days (The ones from the 2003 revamp that were dropped, ie the paper boy, the combine harvester, the photographer). Maybe that's just to use them while they can.

Is the paper boy not usually shown before the nine o'clock news?
    I don't know what that stuff will be used for but I was there when they filmed it and they wouldn't be doing it for nothing. (Actually it's RTE so maybe they would).

I am sure they will film lots of stuff and then not use it. If they don't like the end result.

I don't think it will be a major revamp. RTE ONE's font will have to remain unchanged. I cann't imagine them bring back the number 1.

I KNOW NOTHING :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Elmo wrote:
    Is the paper boy not usually shown before the nine o'clock news?

It was in 2003 and 4 (I think) but it got old fast because it was shown before the Nuacht, The One, The Six, The Nine, EuroNews, The Afternoon Updates and the Late News. It was ditched completely.

Now they use any one before the news (unless it doesnt suit the day's news, eg. They couldn't show the one with the people running around with a camera phone or the guys on motorbikes just after the London bombings etc).

I always think it's a bit odd that they don't have a single ident that says "RTE a hAon" to show before the Nuacht or before shows in Irish.

I always think it's a bit odd that they don't have a single ident that says "RTE a hAon" to show before the Nuacht or before shows in Irish.

Maybe they will revert back to the number 1 after all :)

Yeah maybe but I wouldn't say so because the whole point of rebranding N2 as "RTE Two" instead of just "RTE2" was so the two RTE channels would be identical.

Then this is the broadcaster with a youth radio station where the breakfast show is presented by a guy that "retired" years ago. And now they've dropped the proper 2fm logo too.

Then this is the broadcaster with a youth radio station where the breakfast show is presented by a guy that "retired" years ago. And now they've dropped the proper 2fm logo too.

Yeah RTE are going brand crazzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I am waiting to see the dissappearance of RTE RnaG's cletic circle logo and RTE Lyric FM's font.

Of course I am wait for the change to

RTE Radio 1
    RTE Radio 2
    RTE Radió á 3
    RTE Radio 4

• Advertisement

I wonder if they'd be able to do that with 2fm when the licence fee doesn't fund it because a "popular music" channel is a luxury (but a classical one isn't???)

Anyway most of the target audience of 2fm lost interest ages ago. Why?

Dave Redmond (stuck in a time warp)
    Marty Whelan (don't get me started)
    Gerry Ryan (neither popular nor music)
    Larry Gogan (he was the first DJ on 2fm)
    Ruth Scott (Same playlist, just re-shuffled evry night)
    Avril Hoare (a dumbed down version of "News at One")
    Paul Clarke (should just retire)

Four of them have been there since 1979. The rest haven't but they still play a load of old crap. The only reason that RTE stations are "Ireland's Number One" is that they're "Ireland's ONLY". 2fm are up against Today FM. Morning Ireland have no competition whatsoever - if you don't like music, it's the only thing on.

The only thing RTE do on 2fm taht works is that "listening to the Leaving" bit but that's presented by people who did the Leaving cert the year before.

^ ^ ^ That had loads to do with the Red Bee idents, didn't it?! ^ ^ ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

^ ^ ^ That had loads to do with the Red Bee idents, didn't it?! ^ ^ ^

Ah, they'll be more when they finally hit the airwaves. I, myself, loathe idents with "real people doing everyday things" in them, so I already suspect I will not like them. (Don't think much of the new BBC ONE ones recently either, and for that matter, I don't think BBC ONE has had good idents since the days of the balloon.)

I don't think I've seen a truly powerful set of logos since the ones Sky used from 1990-1992 (before the launch of Sky Multi-Channels), and all of those were computer generated - not a 'real person' among them, and no voiceover continuity person either before the programme or on the end credits either. If only current channels would revert to the older, simpler ways of doing things rather than see everything as an opportunity to promote something on the schedule.

Agreed that the computer generated idents were great but they do look dated now.

Sure channels are using everything as an oppurtunity to promote something else but at least Ireland hasn't (really) jumped on that "INTERACTIVE GAMING" bandwagon. Ok, there's Channel 6's show but nobody in their right mind watches C6 anyway because it's a combination of what MTV and Paramount were when they began.

I wish RTE would just get a decent graphics package that won't get old fast and will actually last more than 3 years.

Just heard from someone on TVForum that it'll be November 3 that they launch, but I was close enough!

Agreed that the computer generated idents were great but they do look dated now.

Sure channels are using everything as an oppurtunity to promote something else but at least Ireland hasn't (really) jumped on that "INTERACTIVE GAMING" bandwagon. Ok, there's Channel 6's show but nobody in their right mind watches C6 anyway because it's a combination of what MTV and Paramount were when they began.

I wish RTE would just get a decent graphics package that won't get old fast and will actually last more than 3 years.

Just heard from someone on TVForum that it'll be November 3 that they launch, but I was close enough!

It is November 3rd, next Friday. Some pictures in the Herald earlier in the week as well as some Red Bee Creative Director comments on them. Presume they'll kick off from the 6am-ish programming on.

• Advertisement

Red Bee Media - in conjunction with RTÉ's promotions team - has produced a new presentation package for RTÉ One. The changes - scheduled to air from Friday November 03 2006 - will see the introduction of twelve new idents as well as a new presentation graphics system.

Red Bee's creative director, Steven Aspinall, said: "We designed the RTÉ One idents to express the common rhythms of Irish life. Our differences might be great, but they are dwarfed by our similarities. The on-screen presentation is a clean modern graphic style designed to complement the idents. The new look celebrates the invisible ties between the people of Ireland and positions RTÉ One as the common link."

RTÉ One's head of promotions, Jim Booth, added: "We are delighted with the level of co-operation and standard of work that Red Bee Media have delivered on the new look for the country's premiere channel, RTÉ One. A long process of consultation within RTÉ has resulted in twelve new idents that we are confident reflect the values of a newer Ireland, without alienating the traditions of the old."

The new on-screen graphics package will allow for in-vision clips and 'coming next' alerts

Well I was almost right. One website [type RTE1 idents into google] has (tiny) pictures from 4 of the idents. There's one with a kid holding their hand out in front of the sun, one of those fire sparkler things, some blurry coloured lights, and something i can't quite make out. Another one has a woman with hair curlers in eating something (?). Tiny RTE One logo to the left of the screen. No new logo. Not sure if they're anything special but I guess all we've seen is 5 tiny images so far. Mostly look better than the ITV excuses for idents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

who the hell cares???

its like the new bbc1 idents?

why idents?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Are you guys referring to Red Bee Media, formerly BBC Broadcast, or is there an Irish Company with the excact same name?

John

Yes I'm sure it's most likely that an Irish company in the exact same business as Red Bee would steal Red Bee's name.

Here are images from 5 of the 12 idents (Bit small - sorry).
    asset_5286_il.jpgRTE_One_eat.jpg

Still no idea what the presentation slides etc will be like. Weather graphics should change too, at least to get rid of the old news style "RTE" logo. No new RTE ONE logo.

^^ These were stolen from me by Seamus43875682735 on TV Forum who simply can't admit defeat :rolleyes: .

Poor troll...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

At the end of the day who cares..................

Yes I'm sure it's most likely that an Irish company in the exact same business as Red Bee would steal Red Bee's name.

Here are images from 5 of the 12 idents (Bit small - sorry).
    asset_5286_il.jpgRTE_One_eat.jpg

Still no idea what the presentation slides etc will be like. Weather graphics should change too, at least to get rid of the old news style "RTE" logo. No new RTE ONE logo.

^^ These were stolen from me by Seamus43875682735 on TV Forum who simply can't admit defeat :rolleyes: .

Poor troll...

You never know, any way, at the moment I'm working for Red Bee, just wondering if they are actually doing the idents, or if they've just contracted the work out to BBC Post Production.

RTE did the film (and I think the music too). Red Bee used the film to make idents etc. Red Bee designed the presentation stuff that hasn't been released/broadcast yet and they might have designed new weather graphics.

sonofsam wrote:
    At the end of the day who cares..................

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forum

Go to "Facilities" and search for "RTE".....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forum

Go to "Facilities" and search for "RTE".....................

ah I see only you do, do you have a point?

RTE did the film (and I think the music too). Red Bee used the film to make idents etc. Red Bee designed the presentation stuff that hasn't been released/broadcast yet and they might have designed new weather graphics.

There are also new "Coming Next" features to the idents, which will include on-screen images from the programmes coming up later in the schedule, and possibly also end title "crops" which will show scenes from the next programmes to air. (Basically what a bunch of other channels have been doing for some time.)

You mentioned ITV1's idents - I agree the live action ones are nothing special, including the music, but the logo itself and the ident version which just has ITV1 on a black background (mostly overnights) is actually very strong (to me) as idents go. I've long hated this need to show 'real people doing everyday things' reflecting the culture as part of an idents package. I've always thought a CGI logo on its own was the best way to ensure your identity was well seared in the minds of the viewing public.

• Advertisement

Lump wrote:
    You never know, any way, at the moment I'm working for Red Bee, just wondering if they are actually doing the idents, or if they've just contracted the work out to BBC Post Production.

Red Bee (as opposed to BBC Post Production) won the creative pitch to design the idents - RTE supplied the footage and Red Bee put the package together. It had Red Bee involvement from the start, so I don't think it's just post production work. Since they won the pitch, I'd say they had a pretty big role in the new look.

As right, they designed the idents, I thought that they just did the editing graphics and sound work, I didn't realise they were behind the thought process.

John

Let's hope they get new weather maps without the BBC's crazy 3D angles.

And this is RTE - how can we be sure they won't use the broom cupboard news studios for the in-vision continuity?

Today at 1pm John Finnerty was doing the news (it came from the SOCR because it's a bank holiday) and during all three reports the sound faded after about 5 seconds :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Today at 1pm John Finnerty was doing the news (it came from the SOCR because it's a bank holiday) and during all three reports the sound faded after about 5 seconds :rolleyes:

yeah, but thankfully the world is still turning

i mean, all three reports :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

ah I see only you do, do you have a point?

Yep, he sure shut me up......

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lump wrote:
    As right, they designed the idents, I thought that they just did the editing graphics and sound work, I didn't realise they were behind the thought process.

John

Some more info... According to Red Bee creative director Steven Aspinall, the idents are based on the themes of Beat, Create, Stretch, Eat and Light. There are 12 in total, so these must be the names of just some of them. Stretch almost certainly involves a cat stretching in a basket. Eat includes our cultural differences being highlighted through verious foods. There are also seagulls eating something somewhere and some bricklayers working.

Whatever about the seagulls and the cat, the 'real people in idents' thing drives me nuts, so it's hard to tell how they'll look.

RTE refuse to say what the total cost was, possibly becuase the BBC got some stick for its €1.8m spend on the new BBC ONE ones.

Ok : Eat is this one : (maybe has the seagulls too)
    RTE_One_eat.jpg

And all of these must be light : (might be four parts to one ident though)
    asset_5286_il.jpg

Beat : Must be people making music or something (maybe like the new BBC1 football one where the guy kicks the ball exactly in time with the music...)

Create : The old lady making bread that I predicted :rolleyes:, bricklayers?

Stretch : Cat in a basket

Must be a kids one, a sports one, a news one, etc...

doh.ie wrote:
    Some more info... According to Red Bee creative director Steven Aspinall, the idents are based on the themes of Beat, Create, Stretch, Eat and Light. There are 12 in total, so these must be the names of just some of them. Stretch almost certainly involves a cat stretching in a basket. Eat includes our cultural differences being highlighted through verious foods. There are also seagulls eating something somewhere and some bricklayers working.

Whatever about the seagulls and the cat, the 'real people in idents' thing drives me nuts, so it's hard to tell how they'll look.

RTE refuse to say what the total cost was, possibly becuase the BBC got some stick for its €1.8m spend on the new BBC ONE ones.

To be fair RTE should have to disclose how much they spent, since it is Public money they're spending.

John

If there are a few images in each ident, I bet they'll look a bit like ITV1... :(

• Advertisement

To be fair RTE should have to disclose how much they spent, since it is Public money they're spending.

They spent 500,000 on the relaunch of RTE TWO.

Advertisement