Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE One's Red Bee Idents to launch late October

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Elmo wrote:
    They spent 500,000 on the relaunch of RTE TWO.

Way too much if you ask me. I mean, the BBC spent a fortune a few years ago and the end result was the removal of the 'italicised' boxes to become upright non-italic ones. OK, so the post-production costs some money, and filming the various locations of the balloon was probably quite costly, but half a million seems extraordinarily expensive to me.

Whatever about a company like the BBC or ITV spending millions on rebranding, for a country as small as Ireland, millions spent on this when RTE often struggle to meet the demands of the public service remit beggars belief.

Saw a new (well, new to me) RTE TWO ident which starts off like a checkout, but turns into a slot machine tonight. OK, so it's creative enough, I suppose, but I can't say it 'means' anything to be branding-wise. If they only had the RTE TWO logo on the green room background, that'd more than do the job, I do not think the RTE TWO set has anything particularly useful to say about what the channel represents or reflects.

On the subject of the RTE ONE new look/idents/promos - they either accidentally or purposely let one out before midnight tonight - a promo where the end board has a still of a seagull and the day/time/programme info details on the left. In a nutshell, it looked bizarre and very unusual. Quite bad, really, and nowhere near as effective as the current RTE ONE end boards.

Basically, the image from the idents seems to be ON the end board, rather than a shot of the programme (at least there didn't seem to be any shot of the programme on the one I saw.) The programme/day/time details also appeared on graphic bars of different colours, and where as at present one quick glance might be all you need to know what's on when, this threw me so much, I can neither remember the programme nor when it's on! (Having said that, it might be because the style of promo is new, but I'm still inclined to question its effectiveness after that.)

I do think the promo was for next week, though, so they either are only doing one set for shows after November 3rd, or they did two and this one got incorrectly labelled.

Lump wrote:
    To be fair RTE should have to disclose how much they spent, since it is Public money they're spending.

John

Agree. They never will, though - they'll claim this kind of information as "commercially sensitive" or throw it in with "station costs" so its true value is kept vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

doh.ie wrote:
    On the subject of the RTE ONE new look/idents/promos - they either accidentally or purposely let one out before midnight tonight - a promo where the end board has a still of a seagull and the day/time/programme info details on the left. In a nutshell, it looked bizarre and very unusual. Quite bad, really, and nowhere near as effective as the current RTE ONE end boards.

I saw that during a promo for "Brides of Frank" after the late news lastnight. I'm sure it was on purpose because the show begins afer the rebrand.

The end of the trailer (programme title, time, etc) looked something like this : 397045938a2426179760b761659329l.jpg
    (Different font and RTE ONE logo etc, just did this quickly in paint...)

I'd say that any shows being advertised now that begin after the revamp will have the new look promos, but stuff that's already running (eg. Killinaskully) use the old ones.

I saw that during a promo for "Brides of Frank" after the late news lastnight. I'm sure it was on purpose because the show begins afer the rebrand.

Yep, your mock-up is the same as the one I saw. Not very easy on the eye, IMO, compared to the simpler way of communicating that information now. (Simplest is always best -the best end boards don't tend to go overboard in design terms, as the message gets lost.)

Most channels, though, do tend to do two versions, so the all-new set of promos can air only from the identity relaunch onwards. I'm inclined to think the airing of the 'Frank' promo was a mistake.

I've just seen the "Frank" thing again tonight, this time using the old promo design, so those seagulls/doves/whatever must be part of the show being advertised.

Just noticed though that the new style promos went out just after midnight on November 1st - anyone in RTE could have passed on the wrong date. November 3rd sounds fairly random compared to the start of the month or a Monday morning etc.

LESS THAN 12 HOURS TO GO :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Late Late Show, tbh. Wouldnt be surpised if they appeared before six-one news either (which they did the last time, with a huge promo which delayed the news)

DMC wrote:
    huge promo which delayed the news
    That was to give us a good impression of RTE, which would distract us from the state of the 2003 news studio. ;)

DMC wrote:
    Late Late Show, tbh. Wouldnt be surpised if they appeared before six-one news either
    Closedown seems more likely. After all, it is RTE :rolleyes:

New idents used from this morning on RTE One. Now here's how I knew what would come up :

397045938a2445037258b926319152l.jpgThat's the lady making bread

397045938a2445037416b185185262l.jpg397045938a2445037431b874682034l.jpg
    That's my living room

397045938a2445045268b996906435l.jpg397045938a2445045277b460337781l.jpg
    That's my bathroom

397045938a2445045414b576792240l.jpg397045938a2445045425b760669748l.jpg
    That's my parents' room

397045938a2445050918b302888790l.jpg397045938a2445051126b757893120s.jpg
    :)

RTE couldn't even afford a studio to film in :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

397045938a2445050918b302888790l.jpg

I hope they cleaned the wall when they were done ;)

I noticed the RTÉ Two DOG on the right the other day, didn't expect that it would be a permanent feature from this week onwards. And they still look crap on digital. The only difference is that the programme guidance banner came on at the correct time for once on The Bill!

To be honest, I don't particularly like "part of life" idents like these. I thought if I looked at the older ones on The TV Room it would cheer me up, but it didn't really. Which neatly brings me to the news that The TV Room has got its revamp - congrats to Mike. It's up-to-date with coverage of today's revamp.

From The TV Room:
    Idents 1
    Idents 2
    Miscellaneous
    New homepage

• Advertisement

New idents used from this morning on RTE One. Now here's how I knew what would come up

Nice connection, Superdudeman. Nice house, too.

But I don't think these new idents are much good otherwise - don't see the cultural significant or what makes any of them the *RTE* brand. Not much doing on the music front either, imo.

And I don't know which genius came up with the idea to switch the bugs to the other side of the screen from today - way more intrusive than they were before. (Yet TG4 manages to hide theirs quite well in the same spot.) Admittedly, RTE TWO is still the word - stupidly combining a Den DOG and a TTV one with the RTE TWO DOG now on the right.

I hope they cleaned the wall when they were done ;)
    Yep. We also got a new bathroom light fitting, an alarm clock and the loaf of bread :D
    doh.ie wrote:
    Nice connection, Superdudeman. Nice house, too.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Really, how different are these than whats shown on ITV1?

Lifestyle idents, I hate them. I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Have to say moving the DOG to the right is bloody annoying. I know when I am watching RTE. This coupled with the horrible brown colour for the news makes everything look ad-hoc. Idents are not bad that because RTE didn't make them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Ident from 5:15pm

Haven't seen enough idents to assess the new look fully, but I must say I did like the evening promo board that was shown before the weather. Nice background and a great bed I thought.

Although it will take time before the DOG goes unnoticed on the right, I think it slotted in better on the left. To over-analyse for a moment, the vertical part of the R ran parallel with the side of the screen, so fit in much better than in its current position. But it shouldn't be there to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

DREADFUL

The now and next promos and the promos are DREADFUL.
    Originally Posted by superdudeman007
    The end of the trailer (programme title, time, etc) looked something like this :
    (Different font and RTE ONE logo etc, just did this quickly in paint...)

It's just as good as what they have come up with. Way too blocky. IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Phen

Great stuff SDM007, I don't suppose you'd like to tell us why it was in your house :) ? Anyway, thanks for your 'inside information' for the last while.

mickd wrote:
    Idents are not bad that because RTE didn't make them.
    Actually RTÉ provided the footage - Red Bee designed the promos, holding captioins, etc. Idents are the only part that RTE did make (all Red Bee did was slap on an RTÉ logo)
    Elmo wrote:
    The now and next promos and the promos are DREADFUL
    That's the bit Red Bee did. I can't believe that RTÉ looks professional in comparison!
    Phen wrote:
    I don't suppose you'd like to tell us why it was in your house?
    Not really...

Anyone seen any in-vision continuity yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I can't believe that RTÉ looks professional in comparison!

I think RTE have done well up to now in realtion to their on screen look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

New idents used from this morning on RTE One. Now here's how I knew what would come up :

397045938a2445037416b185185262l.jpg397045938a2445037431b874682034l.jpg
    That's my living room

RTE couldn't even afford a studio to film in :rolleyes:

Thats my baby.

PS: your house was lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Is it just me, or is part of RTÉ One's Ident C, now being played every week as the lead-in to The Late Late Show, a cringe-inducingly cack-handed attempt to include the 'gay community' in its idents?

main-28.jpg

The oddly all-male, dubiously dressed gathering, coupled with the mortifying 'ah, would ya look at the two guys embracing, sure isn't modern Ireland just fantastic' acknowledgement by the seated individual with designer stubble and legs parked amongst those of the token foreign guy, is all embarrassingly suggestive of a patronising attempt to be all-inclusive and PC to the point of utter farce. I'm just surprised they don't have Pimm's and Cokes with pink brollies perched atop the bar.

So now we have disabled people, gay people, young people, old people, urban people, rural people, 'alternative belief' people, a batch of token foreign/coloured people dropped in wherever they can be accommodated, and even unborn people!

But what of those passing over to another life?!
    I'm APPALLED by this typically discriminanatory approach by RTÉ. The Equality Authority will be hearing about this I can tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Deflector wrote:
    The oddly all-male, dubiously dressed gathering, coupled with the mortifying 'ah, would ya look at the two guys embracing, sure isn't modern Ireland just fantastic' acknowledgement by the seated individual with designer stubble and legs parked amongst those of the token foreign guy, is all embarrassingly suggestive of a patronising attempt to be all-inclusive and PC to the point of utter farce. I'm just surprised they don't have Pimm's and Cokes with pink brollies perched atop the bar.

do they start rimming each other or something? what is 'gay' about it?

some of you need to get out more

Advertisement