Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont ban WC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I vote for WC to be reinstated. He's one of the few people on this forum with a huge depth of knowledge weatherwise. I always browse the weather forum and enjoy reading his posts. like a previous poster mentioned, everyone is allowed to go on a rant / hissy fit now and again. the depth of his knowledge coupled with the sometimes colorful descriptions far outweigh any reasons to ban the guy. it's an amateur forum afterall. sometimes i think mods like to go on their own hissy fits(power trips) from time to time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I went off and had a read of the Charter - believe it or not this is the first time I've ever read a charter on boards - I tend to treat them like an instruction manual - to be ignored except when things go wrong.

The updated charter is fine and is common sense (as it should be), however the bit added in 2004 is confusing:

"Please post any views on winter weather forecasts in relevant threads.
    New threads on this subject may only be created for specefic Winter weather events when they have happened and not ahead of when anyone thinks they are going to happen.

The purpose of this is to keep the forecast of events that may or may not happen separate from the reporting of events that are actually happening.
    This is to prevent clutter and to treat events like snow storms as they happen as a "news" event" with separate threads of their own.

This rule will also apply to other seasons and threads may be started at the appropriate time for the forecasting of events then.
    Similarally for other seasons,specefic weather events eg thunderstorms, heatwave etc can have their own thread only as they happen and not before."

This doesn't make sence to me, maybe I'm thick? Surely if there is an unusual weather event possible in the near future there is no harm creating a thread commenting on it (e.g. snow on Christmas day, possible reamains of a hurricane hitting us etc.)?
    Was this bit added to the charter specifically to address WC's posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

BigCon wrote:
    Was this bit added to the charter specifically to address WC's posts?

Yep.
    Tristrame wrote:
    That part of the charter was put in place by me when I was mod of that board to keep the board tidy and to stem the flow of several ridiculous threads by WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I posted this in Feedback but thought I'd put it here as well:
    WC might get a little excited and look at the worst case scenario a little too often, but his knowledge is excellent and he is very young so I'm sure with more experience he use that knowledge in a more relaxed way.

During the winter I post a lot on the weather forum but I normally post questions or reports of what is currently happening as I don't have a great knowledge of reading the charts, there is only a few members who reply to those question and WC is one.

Surely a compromise can be met?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Another cross post:
    Taken in isolation this ban can be seen as being unfair. However put simply there are two things that Weathercheck has been banned for in the past and warned about for the future:

1. Taking the worst case scenario of a set of possibilities and presenting in as extremely likely or certain. Predicting bad or dangerous weather without any proviso as to it either not being so bad or for that matter not occuring at all.

2. Throwing a hissy fit when he gets moderated.

Here Weathercheck presented the worst case scenario without much in the way of alluding to it's uncertainty and then threw a hissy fit at a thread merge with the less sensational thread title being used along with changing the thread title himself.

This comes after being given so much leeway and second chances by myself and Earthman/Tristrame in the past due to how young he was and his enthusiasm. It was made absolutely clear to him that he was on his last chance, I think we've been very fair to him.

Perhaps all the leeway he's been given is some sort of subtle bullying plan?

• Advertisement

Hobart sums it up best on the feedback thread imo:
    Hobart wrote:
    I don't think I've ever posted on the weather forum, and I have not read many posts on it, but I do see WC's nic pop up on a regular basis on the front page.

Maybe he talks sh1te, maybe not. I personally find that most "forecasters" could not tell you if it was going to be cold or warm tomorrow, never mind the complications of things like rain, snow,etc....

Maybe the guy is just a 17yo going on like a 17yo. There does appear to be a undercurrent to try and wind up the guy to a certain extent by people who should know better. I remember we had an ignore function installed (if memeory serves me right at my suggestion :D) that would cope with 90% of the problem here.

From what I can see most people think he is wildly inaccurate, while others, who don't really comment on his forecasting ability, find the guys posts informative and enjoyable.

I would have also thought that the science of meteorology involves a certain amount of guesswork. So his guesswork seems to be a bit more inaccuarte than others...meh tbh. The charter has been changed to try and circumvent his inaccuracies. Hasn't really worked, has it? Ignore function tbh.

As for the charter:

That's what you linked too Con. Tbh I don't think Tom Hanks, Ian McKellen and Audrey Tautou armed with a cryptex would be able to unravel that mess. For example, these lines:
    Please post any views on winter weather forecasts in relevant threads.
    New threads on this subject may only be created for specefic Winter weather events when they have happened and not ahead of when anyone thinks they are going to happen.

You talk about the posting of forecasts being in relevant treads and yet you deem it necessary to say that new threads can only be created for events that have happened??? How is that forecasting (I know it makes the job easier), but still.

I've seen the thread(s) in Mod forum, this would also lead me to believe that the guy is being targetted, and unfairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 kaizer

Looks like your man weathercheck was right!!

This is the first warning of disruption due to Severe gales

The Met Office is forecasting a period of very windy weather over western parts of the United Kingdom in the next few days. The strongest winds are expected during Thursday with Northern Ireland most at risk. Gusts of 70-80mph are expected. Winds of this strength early in the autumn are likely to lead to disruption to transport and power supplies. There is also a small risk of exceptionally severe gales with gusts in excess of 80mph.

This warning will be updated around 1000 tomorrow Wednesday 20 September

Whoohoo bring on the hurricane
    :cool:

BigCon wrote:
    Hobart sums it up best on the feedback thread imo:
    Dont you mean he sums up your opinion best.

by the way what did you do with that sig you used have with yer man? :D

Compromised on a one month ban.

Tristrame wrote:
    Dont you mean he sums up your opinion best.

by the way what did you do with that sig you used have with yer man? :D

What man? My sig changes as often as the weather ;)
    Good to see the ban commuted to one month - I hope WC comes back...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

IMHO this board is over moderated and the charter should be reviewed. This is a weather forum. What the charter seems to suggest is dont bother forcasting, just put in whats going to happen. Sure thats not forcasting. Compared to other forums this board is way over regulated. Its suppose to a weather forum for goodness sake. It should be a place where newbies and pro's can make whatever forcasts they like regardless of whether it is right or wrong. It should be a fun board too, not a boot camp. A place where ppl can learn the various mechanisms of weather forcasting. Thats what forcasting is all about. Nothing any of us say here is ever 100% accurate. I really think there needs to be more latitude on the forum to encourage more people to get involved. Or else the board will remain relatively empty.

darkman2 wrote:
    IMHO this board is over moderated and the charter should be reviewed. This is a weather forum. What the charter seems to suggest is dont bother forcasting, just put in whats going to happen. Sure thats not forcasting. Compared to other forums this board is way over regulated. Its suppose to a weather forum for goodness sake. It should be a place where newbies and pro's can make whatever forcasts they like regardless of whether it is right or wrong. It should be a fun board too, not a boot camp. A place where ppl can learn the various mechanisms of weather forcasting. Thats what forcasting is all about. Nothing any of us say here is ever 100% accurate. I really think there needs to be more latitude on the forum to encourage more people to get involved. Or else the board will remain relatively empty.
    Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

dm2, line spacing , paragraphs would be nice, my eyes bleed after decyphering your diatribe.

Do agree that a weather forum on a not weather bulliton board should have a little more leeway than a weather forum on a weather only board.

Many readers on the weather forum here are probably just passing though, unlike maybe TWO, Netweather, UKWW etc where they have a genuine interest in the topic.

Just like the media..there should be a place for the tabloids and the broadsheets here imho. Even the tabloid press ocassionally get it right!

I'd venture that TWO , UKWW and Netweather are more akin to the broadsheets,but sadly boards (weather forum) readership is closer to the red tops (they only visit when they hear a crazy weather forecast on the radio or a friend said ..) and as such us broadsheet readers should be more tolerent.

I enjoy the wild forecasts tbh. Reminds me of what got me interested in the weather and forces me to research and try to find the truth, most times the sensationalist headlines have a solid basis in fact, just not a solid interpretation! but none the less are interesting and often amusing.

Maybe a more velvet slipper approach is merited here lads? eg "WC youre forecast may have a large error range given the time frame involved..please make this clearer in your post !

I hope WC can restrain his lust for the coming Armaggedon every winter a little!.

WC - I'm ocassionally driven nutz by something I see on boards, heres what i do - hit reply, type all that I_REALLY_REALLY_WANNA_SAY...then ctrl + a then hit delete (hit preview if yer really annoyed so you see your rant in its properly formatted glory) and have to start typing again. Fact that its been ranted and written (but not posted) usually means its never so knee jerk second time..maybe give it a try :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

Winter just would not be the same without weathercheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Longfield, I really hope that was posted in the feedback thread. I haven't read the thread yet but it's a jem of a post anyway. I hope everyone will pay attention to it.

WC needs to get less carried away. Age and a tempering of his passion (e.g going to college and eventually getting involved in meteorology properly) will solve any problems in that department. Oh, and he will have to keep dialogue with the moderators more civilised. And the moderators should respect him as one of the main contributors to the forum.

I've done some thinking. Weathercheck was hard done by in ways. This forum is not a circus, but it's not a Hurricane Advisory Centre either. If he makes a claim and posts a chart in his favour, then anyone who disagrees should provide something of their own to logically argue against it. At the same time, those that don't like exaggerations and drama should not be subjected to it constantly. No one likes their hopes or expectations at a bit of fun dashed when there was no proper chance anyway.

To be honest, we would be better off with a part of the Charter explaining how that this is an amateur board using publicly available tools with enthusiastic members. Hyperbole and inaccuracies may occur and this forum should not be used as a guide or as advice in times of danger to property or people.

The pinpoint clause (in stark contrast to the rest of the charter) needs surgery.

Longfield wrote:
    dm2, line spacing , paragraphs would be nice, my eyes bleed after decyphering your diatribe.

Do agree that a weather forum on a not weather bulliton board should have a little more leeway than a weather forum on a weather only board.

Many readers on the weather forum here are probably just passing though, unlike maybe TWO, Netweather, UKWW etc where they have a genuine interest in the topic.

Just like the media..there should be a place for the tabloids and the broadsheets here imho. Even the tabloid press ocassionally get it right!

I'd venture that TWO , UKWW and Netweather are more akin to the broadsheets,but sadly boards (weather forum) readership is closer to the red tops (they only visit when they hear a crazy weather forecast on the radio or a friend said ..) and as such us broadsheet readers should be more tolerent.

I enjoy the wild forecasts tbh. Reminds me of what got me interested in the weather and forces me to research and try to find the truth, most times the sensationalist headlines have a solid basis in fact, just not a solid interpretation! but none the less are interesting and often amusing.

Maybe a more velvet slipper approach is merited here lads? eg "WC youre forecast may have a large error range given the time frame involved..please make this clearer in your post !

I hope WC can restrain his lust for the coming Armaggedon every winter a little!.

WC - I'm ocassionally driven nutz by something I see on boards, heres what i do - hit reply, type all that I_REALLY_REALLY_WANNA_SAY...then ctrl + a then hit delete (hit preview if yer really annoyed so you see your rant in its properly formatted glory) and have to start typing again. Fact that its been ranted and written (but not posted) usually means its never so knee jerk second time..maybe give it a try :)

Longfield I have put alot of effort into making this board better over recent months but it has not worked. The charter needs to be changed and less restrictive. There is nothing more I can do and the fact you cant read my posts illustrates my frustration and anger at this board.

darkman2 wrote:
    Longfield I have put alot of effort into making this board better over recent months but it has not worked. The charter needs to be changed and less restrictive. There is nothing more I can do and the fact you cant read my posts illustrates my frustration and anger at this board.
    I'm bewildered as to how the board's charter effects your spelling, punctuation and grammer.

DapperGent wrote:
    I'm bewildered as to how the board's charter effects your spelling, punctuation and grammer.

Dappergent, I will not be bullied on this thread in any form. Keep your snide comments to yourself. I am angry at the charter and ive every right to be.

I dont know what it is but I have developed a dislike of yourself and Snowbie over the last couple of days due to the ineptitude and ill-judgement of your posts. You come across as trouble starters and Im not going to engage anyone with that attitude.

At the very least Snowbie's relpies to Weathercheck were provocative and uncalled for, as was your post just there. Show a bit of respect for those posting here. Were not all total imbeciles.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

100% agreed too.

A one month ban is too long also.
    darkman2 wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

DapperGent wrote:

Don't drop in here very often but it is windy out so I took a strool accross.

Can I just ask, is this a mod speaking? If so wow. Personal vindictive is banned most places I'm involved.

Excuses me for interfering. I'm off back to the cosy, warm calm of the Photography Forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:
    Dappergent, I will not be bullied on this thread in any form. Keep your snide comments to yourself. I am angry at the charter and ive every right to be.

I dont know what it is but I have developed a dislike of yourself and Snowbie over the last couple of days due to the ineptitude and ill-judgement of your posts. You come across as trouble starters and Im not going to engage anyone with that attitude.

At the very least Snowbie's relpies to Weathercheck were provocative and uncalled for, as was your post just there. Show a bit of respect for those posting here. Were not all total imbeciles.

DM you have not posted on this forum in awhile as there has no events happening.The Weather forum has brought the attention of several posters that have never posted here before or very infrequent from WC banning.

Sounds like you are trying to start an uprising on this forum against the mods.
    You dont have to like us,thats fine.You dont have to agree with us again thats fine.But stop your whinging.Its childish.Your havin a hissy fit.So calm the fook down.

Snowbie there are quite a few of us that just read the forum now and then and some who never post. You seem to be saying that if you are not a regular you have no right to comment. If every other forum on Boards did this the place would be dead - thankfully this place is a good representation of the overall Boards "Community".

This attitude is part of the reason this forum gets so little traffic!

6th wrote:
    This attitude is part of the reason this forum gets so little traffic!
    Thats absolute bull.PPL post here when a weather event is about to take place,taken place or passed,otherwise it is just a quiet corner of boards.
    You have trolled the feedback and your attitude will be watched here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Snowbie wrote:
    DM you have not posted on this forum in awhile as there has no events happening.The Weather forum has brought the attention of several posters that have never posted here before or very infrequent from WC banning.

Sounds like you are trying to start an uprising on this forum against the mods.
    You dont have to like us,thats fine.You dont have to agree with us again thats fine.But stop your whinging.Its childish.Your havin a hissy fit.So calm the fook down.

Your probably referring to me as one of the infrequent posters, I may only post when there is a big event happening but thats because I don't have the knowledge to forecast as good as others so I normally just read the posts.

Now I for one don't like your attitude above, I agree with DM 100% and I'm not been childish or having a hissy fit so I don't need to calm the fook down.

The charter is a joke it needs to be changed, the forum is moderated far too harshly, instead of just fobbing us off why don't you engage in reasonable discussion so we can develop a forum which will allow people to post threads without having to PM a mod first to see if its ok or getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

guys, why don't you just close this thread??? you are all going around in circles.

Act like adults and cut the crap.

Snowbie wrote:
    Thats absolute bull.PPL post here when a weather event is about to take place,taken place or passed,otherwise it is just a quiet corner of boards.

Weather is happening all the time and its a very interesting subject - just look at how many people have come out of the closet as lurkers in this forum. You prefer to view them all as trouble makers jumping on the bandwagon so you can ignore the failings of this forum.
    Snowbie wrote:
    You have trolled the feedback and your attitude will be watched here.

I in no way shape or form trolled the feedback thread but if you want to think that thats fine. I'll be back in a month when WC is back with his interesting and informative posts - hopefully you will have grown up by then and done something productive with the forum.

bye

irish1 wrote:
    Now I for one don't like your attitude above, I agree with DM 100% and I'm not been childish or having a hissy fit so I don't need to calm the fook down.
    Well good for you.
    I dont like the attitude of most of the posting going on in here.So if ppl get offened,i suggest you dont post in the first place and same something constructive.

6th wrote:
    Weather is happening all the time and its a very interesting subject - just look at how many people have come out of the closet as lurkers in this forum. You prefer to view them all as trouble makers jumping on the bandwagon so you can ignore the failings of this forum.

I in no way shape or form trolled the feedback thread but if you want to think that thats fine. I'll be back in a month when WC is back with his interesting and informative posts - hopefully you will have grown up by then and done something productive with the forum.

bye
    Bye.

darkman2 wrote:
    This is pretty simple.

Longfield says:

You reply:
    I still don't see how your "frustration and anger at this board" means that you can't write a coherant post.

Anyway I think this thread has been as useful as it can be. If anyone has any suggestions for the boards charter please post them in irish1's rules discussion thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52081830&posted=1#post52081830

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement