Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont ban WC

Options
  • 18-09-2006 9:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Ah here, this is a bit uncalled for. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Weathercheck's posts. You should reconsider that as this board will feel pretty empty without him posting. His posts are very informative and a credit to the forum (especially coming into Winter). They are most certainly not exagerations and even if they were there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Snowbie your also a credit to this forum but I dont support rash things like this with no reason. I may have to reconsider posting here in the light of such a mad decision. This forum dose not have the luxury of getting rid of ppl who know their stuff willy nilly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

darkman2 wrote:
    Ah here, this is a bit uncalled for. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Weathercheck's posts. You should reconsider that as this board will feel pretty empty without him posting. His posts are very informative and a credit to the forum (especially coming into Winter). They are most certainly not exagerations and even if they were there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Snowbie your also a credit to this forum but I dont support rash things like this with no reason. I may have to reconsider posting here in the light of such a mad decision. This forum dose not have the luxury of getting rid of ppl who know their stuff willy nilly.

I agree

I really enjoy WC's Posts

Moderators should not take crticisim so personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I agree.I saw absolutely nothing wrong with WC's posts and i don't see how they were exagerated.

Frankly DM2,I'm surprised by your comments...

As for WC,he is around long enough to be familiar with the boards charter.

Trogdor you havent been around here long enough to know weathercheck.
    You should ask him why he is banned from TWO...

Tristrame wrote:
    Frankly DM2,I'm surprised by your comments...

As for WC,he is around long enough to be familiar with the boards charter.

Trogdor you havent been around here long enough to know weathercheck.
    You should ask him why he is banned from TWO...

I have just read the charter.

What did WC do exactly that required a ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I know i haven't been around long enough to know much about WC. I was just commenting on this incedent and how the other thread got out of hand, when i saw nothing wrong with it.

• Advertisement

I have just read the charter.

What did WC do exactly that required a ban?
    Read post 2 of the charter,its there in black and white.

Tristrame wrote:
    Read post 2 of the charter,its there in black and white.

WC only complained about his thread being renamed.

He was told it was not renamed but merged.

He said he will not post here any more and was subsequently banned.

Nowhere in post two of the charter does it mention banning for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I saw the thread about an hour ago, just after WC made his last comment. I have to say that he was looking to be banned and I couldn't see how Snowbie could ignore that.

What is not so clear-cut is whether he deserved to be p***ed off. He made a wild prediction, mabye in the hope of gaining glory in pulling off the outside chance that it's a worst case scenario. That kind of stuff can be entertaining but excessive. There has to be some seriousness when making forecasts like that. There are many groups and individuals who rely on forecasts and while this is an amateur forum, it doesn't have to be a circus.

However, the title of the thread when it was closed (I didn't see the previous title) was ludicrous, with all due respect to Snowbie. I cannot see the purpose to it and I don't want to second-guess Snowbie. He can speak for himself if he wants.

I hope WC won't be gone permanently. He needs to cool his emotions and wisen up. He's been more a positive influence than a negative influence on the forum over the years.

trogdor wrote:
    I know i haven't been around long enough to know much about WC. I was just commenting on this incedent and how the other thread got out of hand, when i saw nothing wrong with it.

Ach I'll just make two comments.
    This board is moderated and a decision was made to merge threads.
    None of WC's posts were removed,they were just merged,he could have continued what he was saying without the hissy fit.

snowbie was actually quite calm about it.
    The piece in the charter that I referred to was put in place at a time when exaggerated threads by the dozen literally were coming from WC.

What you may not realise is that WC behind the scenes does not like being moderated.He tends to send rather not nice pms to mods.
    Thats why he got a site ban on TWO and unfortunately he is carrying on the same way here and theres only one thing thats going to lead to.

WC only complained about his thread being renamed.

He was told it was not renamed but merged.

He said he will not post here any more and was subsequently banned.

Nowhere in post two of the charter does it mention banning for this reason.

Any breach of the charter,(which WC has clearly breached as per post 2 by ignoring the thread creation guidelines) can lead to a ban at the mods discretion.

Sending abusive pm's doesnt help.

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:
    Ach I'll just make two comments.
    This board is moderated and a decision was made to merge threads.
    None of WC's posts were removed,they were just merged,he could have continued what he was saying without the hissy fit.

snowbie was actually quite calm about it.
    The piece in the charter that I referred to was put in place at a time when exaggerated threads by the dozen literally were coming from WC.

What you may not realise is that WC behind the scenes does not like being moderated.He tends to send rather not nice pms to mods.
    Thats why he got a site ban on TWO and unfortunately he is carrying on the same way here and theres only one thing thats going to lead to.

Hissy Fit ? We are all alowed express ourselves are we not

Exagerated ? UK Met Office is backing him up

Not Nice PMs ? Ignore list

PS I am not having a Hissy fit, Please do not ban me

Hissy Fit ? We are all alowed express ourselves are we not
    Within the confines of the charter yes.
    Exagerated ? UK Met Office is backing him up
    Please show me the UK weather forecast for a hurricane next weekend and I'll take your point.
    Not Nice PMs ? Ignore list
    Or a longer ban or both.
    PS I am not having a Hissy fit, Please do not ban me
    I couldnt even if I wanted to which I dont.
    And anyway you are being polite.

We could quote each other all night.

This is not a professional weather website, its for opinions and light reading.
    Governments and individuals are not going to make decisions on what WC posts.

They will wait for the more reserved Met.ie report

However one of these days he will be right.. again

This is my last reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

should this not be in Feedback instead of here?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

There is one in feedback but WCs fellow posters want to show there support for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

About WC's predictions. At this moment I share his prediction that something quite nasty is on the horizon for later Thursday. Indeed a deep depression of 975hpa looks set to brush up the West Coast. The ECM backs this, in fact all models now seem to be coming to a concensus on its track. Nobody here said it would be 'a hurricane', it certainly wont be. But there is definatley potential there for very heavy rain and severe gale force winds on Thursday night. It is of particular importance for a number of reasons - most notably the Ryder Cup starts the following day and also the winds will be exceptionally strong southerlies. We will have frontal systems across Ireland Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - which means alot of rain anyway, not even taking into account this little feature and flooding is a possibility. There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that. We are talking 72 hrs out. Its not a wild prediction. The only thing really that has to be established is how long it will last. Currently it looks like being quite brief in terms of the very strong winds but like I say there is going to be alot of rain. It will be an ex-tropical storm by the time it gets here and possibly will bring the strongest winds in years. Its only right to bring attention to it.

Also I wouldnt underestimate the strenght potential of the winds. Look at the tightness of the isobars around the centre. Very unusual for a low that deep to be baring down on Ireland. I wouldnt want to be in a boat - put it that way!!!

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!72!Europe!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2006091812!!chart.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

the met office in the uk also have a news release about it.
    http://www.met-office.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2006/pr20060918.html

darkman2 wrote:
    About WC's predictions. At this moment I share his prediction that something quite nasty is on the horizon for later Thursday. Indeed a deep depression of 975hpa looks set to brush up the West Coast. The ECM backs this, in fact all models now seem to be coming to a concensus on its track. Nobody here said it would be 'a hurricane', it certainly wont be. But there is definatley potential there for very heavy rain and severe gale force winds on Thursday night. It is of particular importance for a number of reasons - most notably the Ryder Cup starts the following day and also the winds will be exceptionally strong southerlies. We will have frontal systems across Ireland Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - which means alot of rain anyway, not even taking into account this little feature and flooding is a possibility. There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that. We are talking 72 hrs out. Its not a wild prediction. The only thing really that has to be established is how long it will last. Currently it looks like being quite brief in terms of the very strong winds but like I say there is going to be alot of rain. It will be an ex-tropical storm by the time it gets here and possibly will bring the strongest winds in years. Its only right to bring attention to it.

Also I wouldnt underestimate the strenght potential of the winds. Look at the tightness of the isobars around the centre. Very unusual for a low that deep to be baring down on Ireland. I wouldnt want to be in a boat - put it that way!!!

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!72!Europe!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2006091812!!chart.gif

I dont disagree with you,theres certainly potential for a very windy if not stormy wet period if that maintains its present course which is likely.
    I do disagree with melodramatic thread titles though.

Tristrame wrote:
    I dont disagree with you,theres certainly potential for a very windy if not stormy wet period if that maintains its present course which is likely.
    I do disagree with melodramatic thread titles though.

Im not saying 'stormy' just yet though potential is there. Im just pointing it out because I dont think WC's prediction should be held against him because looking at the charts he has a very strong case. Thats what forcasting is all about:)

As for the thread title - is it really that bad? I would say its not great but I dont see much wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

i would expect to see gusts of 70/80mph
    Snowbie wrote:
    This is Sunday Evening,wait untill at least Wedensday before you start predicting Hurricane force gusts.

You think too DM2 that we will receive his prediction?
    After all i still recommend Wedensday to be favourable for a 75% accurate forecast.

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    You think too DM2 that we will receive his prediction?
    After all i still recommend Wedensday to be favourable for a 75% accurate forecast.

70/80mph gusts are easily acheiveable from the charts depending on the track. That is not a 'hurricane' force gust. Though it is very windy for Ireland. No, the real concern, if it was a hit like the ECM suggests is very strong sustained winds and torrential rain. This is all very much on for later Thursday. It will be another day or so before a really accurate track could be put on it but right now it is looking very windy and very wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Lol, who`d have thought the weather forum would be a place of bickering. I must drop in more often :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

darkman2 wrote:
    70/80mph gusts are easily acheiveable from the charts depending on the track. That is not a 'hurricane' force gust.

Well 75mph is.

Snowbie wrote:
    Well 75mph is.

Yes - for sustained winds - thats a hurricane (CAT 2). A 75mph gust is not a 'hurricane gust' neither is it termed as such. You have to differentiate between gusts and sustained winds. It is not unusual in Ireland when sustained winds are 35 - 40mph for 75mph gusts. That is no where near hurricane strength though. You need sustained winds of 50 - 70mph for hurricane force winds. That is not possible in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

darkman2 wrote:
    Yes - for sustained winds - thats a hurricane (CAT 2). A 75mph gust is not a 'hurricane gust' neither is it termed as such. You have to differentiate between gusts and sustained winds. It is not unusual in Ireland when sustained winds are 35 - 40mph for 75mph gusts. That is no where near hurricane strength though. You need sustained winds of 50 - 70mph for hurricane force winds. That is not possible in this part of the world.

Sustained 75mph is actually a hurricant (CAT 1) CAT 2 is actually 96 mph sustained.

but that is jut me being pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If I cast my memory back to the Christmas storm of 1997 (I think it's that year) there were gusts of up to 100 Mph. With a storm like that forecast in 72 hours time, I would certainly expect gusts of 110 kph or greater. Though Weathercheck made his prediction a lot earlier. But 60 Mph gusts are not that uncommon. 70 and 80 Mph (130 kph) are much more uncommon but the storm currently in the Azores or thereabouts is not a normal depression either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Just lifted this from TWO (by a "respected poster"):

"With just 60hrs to go, I think we're now seeing a thin consensus on the likely outcome. Most models this morning agree that the storm's track will take the low centre through Ireland, although whether this is western or eastern Ireland is uncertain. It will still become very windy indeed across western parts of the UK, but damaging conditions would be restricted to Ireland.
    And whatever anybody says, it's not 'normal' to receive 70-80mph gusts of wind across Ireland in mid-September, as the trees in leaf would agree with as the struggled to stand upright"

Batten down the hatches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I posted this in the feedback thread, but I'll put it here too to show my support for the guy:

My 2c:
    I think WC always goes for the most extreme likelihood as forecast by the many charts. He also adds a bit of sensationalism to them.

However, anyone that frequents the weather forum regularly knows this, so I don't see it as a problem (plus there's always the possibility of his forecast coming off - I believe he was the first person to predict snow on Christmas day, 2 years ago, a prediction that was met with some skepticism iirc).

I also remember the last time he was banned from weather; at the time it seemed to be a harsh ban as well.
    I don't know the content of his abusive pm's, but I would guess they’re not too bad, considering how most of his posts are treated by some of the folks on the weather forum.

Bottom line is I think he shouldn't have been banned as I like reading his take on upcoming events and they always have some basis in fact...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I don't think I've ever posted in the weather forum - but I do enjoy browsing posts there from time to time. WC is a boards.ie icon & the forum would lose out greatly if he directed his peculiar obsession elsewhere.....;)

• Advertisement

BigCon wrote:
    I posted this in the feedback thread...[/COLOR]
    And I replied...
    Bottom line is,and it really is the bottom line,WC wasnt banned because there may be a storm coming,he wasnt banned because of his opinions,he was banned because he un did and continued to attempt to undo a moderators decision to enforce the charter of the board.

I dont know how often I have to repeat this or say it in several different ways, but he breached the charter.His posts were fine when tidied.
    Snowbie had no intention of banning him for them once the thread title was altered.
    The banning arose when the moderator was ignored and thats as it should be.
    WC had the power to avoid that decision,by accepting the moderating and continuing to post.
    He would not have been stopped doing so had he behaved.
    He brought it on himself.

I'm not surprised but then,I'm not one for letting how I expect a poster to react, stop me from implimenting the charter of any board I have ever moderated and I'm glad snowbie doesnt either.
    Thats what moderators are for and thats what keeps the place tidy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement