Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And now for something completely different...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-19433343

_62593329_62593324.jpg
    A new Indian clothing store called Hitler has hurt the feelings of Jews around the world, a senior Israeli diplomat has told the BBC.
    The shop's owner Rajesh Shah, who sells men's clothing, said he was surprised he had upset people.

"It was only when the store opened I learnt that Hitler had killed six million people."
    Correspondents say the German dictator who took the world to war in the middle of last century is admired by a small but growing number of Indians.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ninja900 wrote: »
    And now for something completely different...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-19433343

_62593329_62593324.jpg

Gotta love that there is a Gandhi t-shirt in the middle of the window. Folks - we are witnessing a genuine irony free zone m'thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

When y'all finish eating your baby burgers, remember to use the following when washing up.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/88996953/fetus-soap

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Evidence for Correlations Between Nuclear Decay Rates and Earth-Sun Distance
    http://wavewatching.net/2012/09/01/from-the-annals-of-the-impossible-experimental-physics-edition/

Decay_earth_sun.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Jernal wrote: »
    skeptical-dog

Have I missed something? As far as I can tell the research institutions involved seem well respected.

Hope the CERN neutrino results haven't made everyone dismissive of interesting things by default.

Anyway there's certainly enough here to keep a skeptical eye out for in the future to see what comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

robindch wrote: »
    Just a brief footnote to that -- the US and the EU (generally) has generally succeeded on Mars, but most people forget the effort the Soviets, and latterly the Russians, put in to reach the planet too. Between 1960 and last November, they launched nineteen missions, every single one of which failed to achieve its mission objective (this is in contrast to their missions to Venus, around half of which were successful).

Within the Russian space industry, it's called the Mars Curse and with the failure of last November's mission in low-Earth orbit, shows no sign of leaving.
    Saw a good program on tv (The Planets from the late 90s bbc) about the venus probe. The first successful one had a plastic cover on the sensor/probe. So it landed and the sensor was deployed, but the plastic melted onto it. So the russians received a perfect chemical analysis of the plastic cover all the way from venus. The 2 russian scientists thought it was funny anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Moncrieff on Newstalk today...
    At 3.35 the Believing Brain. Why is it we turn to religion? We’ll speak to author Michael Shermer.

Sweet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Not even remotely religion-related, but a nice bucking of the sort of traditionalism that I think a lot of people here rail against, as well as just a really sweet story.

Dad protects son from bullying by wearing a skirt

Not even remotely religion-related, but a nice bucking of the sort of traditionalism that I think a lot of people here rail against, as well as just a really sweet story.

Dad protects son from bullying by wearing a skirt

Reminds me of the time I wandered into my living room to find my son and his 5 year old daughter looking at photos of Rue Paul on the laptop. Turns out she had told her 3 year old brother that men don't wear dresses. Son decided to nip that bit of misinformation in the bud by showing her that not only can men wear dresses (and make-up and high heels) if they want to, some of them look bloody fabulous while doing so. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm told my ass looks great in a dress.

Sarky wrote: »
    I'm told my ass looks great in a dress.

Photos or GTFO :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I don't have any of my ass :(

Sarky wrote: »
    I don't have any of my ass :(

then get some dear Sarky. We require supporting evidence!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time I wandered into my living room to find my son and his 5 year old daughter looking at photos of Rue Paul on the laptop. Turns out she had told her 3 year old brother that men don't wear dresses. Son decided to nip that bit of misinformation in the bud by showing her that not only can men wear dresses (and make-up and high heels) if they want to, some of them look bloody fabulous while doing so. :D

*had to google Rue Paul*

*had to google Rue Paul*

Would have helped if I had spelt RuPaul correctly. Sorry about that...

To save anyone else to is unfamiliar with the looks fabulous in a frock one having to google:

Rupaul-20101210-0002.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Amazing what the photoshop's Surface Blur can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Heavy drinking rewires brain.

Takes 2 days from me to recover from my post-drinking-hungover-dopeyness. If I've been drinking into the wee hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

452000_1274913646041_160.jpg?v=1274913723
    Here's the same photo without the Photoshop surface blur.
    Ru looking somewhat deflated.

Wow, the comments on that article make the average youtube-boob seem intellectual.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Bismuth looking really quite sexy this morning.

219555.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Unsure if this post should be in the "interesting" thread, but it's certainly whacky.

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/06/democratic-convention-reinstatement-jerusalem?newsfeed=true:

Democratic convention erupts over reinstatement of Jerusalem to policy.
    Row over Israel mars second day of convention as party moves to add back 'God' and 'Jerusalem' language to platform.

And their system of democracy:
    The change required a two-thirds vote in favour and it definitely did not sound anywhere close to that. But Villaraigosa pushed it through anyway, determined to try to bring a speedy end to an awkward row. There was loud booing in the hall when he announced the changes had gone through.

What lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

I was a bit disappointed in Maher that he never confronted D'Souza on repeatedly saying that it was a film about Obama "in Obama's own words" - as if his film, using out-of-context quotes from Obama's memoirs would give a more accurate portrait of Obama than reading the books would.

That said, disappointment in Maher is something I'm used to, and he's still funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I thought that the whole time too, but then there's probably an element of esprit de l'escalier about it... He probably thought of that later on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Kivaro wrote: »

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/06/democratic-convention-reinstatement-jerusalem?newsfeed=true:

Democratic convention erupts over reinstatement of Jerusalem to policy.
    Row over Israel mars second day of convention as party moves to add back 'God' and 'Jerusalem' language to platform.

And their system of democracy:
    The change required a two-thirds vote in favour and it definitely did not sound anywhere close to that. But Villaraigosa pushed it through anyway, determined to try to bring a speedy end to an awkward row. There was loud booing in the hall when he announced the changes had gone through.

What lunacy.
    Its also hypocrisy; the US still maintains its embassy in Tel Aviv, in order to comply with a UN resolution that states Jerusalem cannot be the capital because East Jerusalem was acquired by military force from the Palestinians.

Its quite funny though, that the Democrats still determine the outcome of a tricky vote by someone listening to the noise levels, while all the delegates shout "nay" and "yea".

^ Sideways is a great watch just in case anyone here hasn't seen it :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19535090

Berlin ban on circumcision except on cases of medical necessity. Jews and Muslims not happy.

• Advertisement

German government has already said they'll legislate to specifically make it legal again, pathetic.

Advertisement