Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

seamus wrote: »
    It's very clearly the human-controlled player in Space Invaders, protecting the rover from the Martians.

http://www.actionpants.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Space-Invaders.jpg

Uncanny, you can even see the last two shots it fired as it moved left.

Wait...
    If it's on Mars....
    What if WE were the invaders?!?!?!? :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Steven Novella from the Skeptics Guide to the Universe gives a talk at Google:

Just watching now... in work... shh...

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

New human species identified from Kenya fossils

Researchers studying fossils from northern Kenya have identified a new species of human that lived two million years ago.

The discoveries suggests that at least three distinct species of humans co-existed in Africa.

The research adds to a growing body of evidence that runs counter to the popular perception that there was a linear evolution from early primates to modern humans.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

koth wrote: »

If only they knew to get the soul upgrade, silly bastards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If only they knew to get the soul upgrade, silly bastards.

Awww- did they go with Apple? No choice then but to evolve...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Hehe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Victor Diac discusses leaving the Eastern Orthodox clergy at the Dublin Atheists in the Pub evening hosted by Atheist Ireland on 9 August 2012:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So much for intelligent design.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sonics2k wrote: »

Couple of things, the appendix is used by the immune system. And hair on the skin is used to regulate body temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Couple of things, the appendix is used by the immune system. And hair on the skin is used to regulate body temperature.

But why do I keep biting the inside of my mouth?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

the appendix is used by the immune system.

For what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Jernal wrote: »
    the appendix is used by the immune system.

For what exactly?

Comic relief?

It's postulated to be a bacterial refugium, I think.

Have to say, I find it interesting how often accused performance enhancing dopers in sport seem to use homeopathy as a excuse. :D

Have to say, I find it interesting how often accused performance enhancing dopers in sport seem to use homeopathy as a excuse. :D

What, like 'they were homeopathic steroids, honest'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

kylith wrote: »
    What, like 'they were homeopathic steroids, honest'?

Pretty much yeah, I wish I'd kept count over the years. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Really enjoying these Minute Physics videos lately. This week's question: which is faster - Usain Bolt or gravity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Not A&A but 'because he's in space and he can' I'm putting it here.

Space looks like the best place ever once you crack up just a little.

• Advertisement

EDL folk are awesome.

EDL folk are awesome.

Well, I, uh, in annoyance, and perhaps troll like had posted this in a different thread as an attempt to, actually I don't know why I posted it there now. :confused:Thanks Dades and Rob for keeping it. :D

Edit : Ahh now I remember the English Defence League kept getting mentioned and I didn't feel they deserved the EDL acronym, especially at this time of the year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

EDL folk are awesome.
    Milkovich-1ANNOTATED-pia16001-br.jpg
    Tut Tut. Seems Curiosity is a litter bug!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

muppeteer wrote: »
    Milkovich-1ANNOTATED-pia16001-br.jpg
    Tut Tut. Seems Curiosity is a litter bug!:D

And thats the smaller pic. On the large one you can see where theres an empty box of 10 major, a rizla packet and a load of Dutch Gold cans.

Nodin wrote: »
    And thats the smaller pic. On the large one you can see where theres an empty box of 10 major, a rizla packet and a load of Dutch Gold cans.

Ummmm...what colour rizla are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sonics2k wrote: »
    10 Useless bits vid

I actually get that ear swivel reflex sometimes and physically feel like my ear is trying to turn towards the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Ummmm...what colour rizla are they?

Blue I bet!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Blue I bet!

Oh the relief - I only ever use green so they can't be mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well, I, uh, in annoyance, and perhaps troll like had posted this in a different thread as an attempt to, actually I don't know why I posted it there now. :confused:Thanks Dades and Rob for keeping it. :D

Edit : Ahh now I remember the English Defence League kept getting mentioned and I didn't feel they deserved the EDL acronym, especially at this time of the year. :)
    Heh - I moved it. Didn't notice any obvious connection - assumed it was "misplaced"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Termites evolve suicide-bomb belts, but only amongst elderly termites.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/07/old-termites-blow-themselves-up-.html

When trekking through a forest in French Guiana to study termites, a group of biologists noticed unique spots of blue on the backs of the insects in one nest. Curious, one scientist reached down to pick up one of these termites with a pair of forceps. It exploded. The blue spots, the team discovered, contain explosive crystals, and they're found only on the backs of the oldest termites in the colony. The aged termites carry out suicide missions on behalf of their nest mates.

After their initial observation, the team carried out field studies of Neocapritermes taracua termites and discovered that those with the blue spots also exploded during encounters with other species of termites or larger predators. The researchers report online today in Science that the secretions released during the explosion killed or paralyzed opponents from a competing termite species. However, if the scientists removed the blue crystal from the termites, their secretions were no longer toxic.

Back in their labs, scientists led by biochemist Robert Hanus of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic in Prague went on to show that the blue termites always had shorter, worn-down mandibles than others from the same species, indicating that they were older. Then, the researchers removed the contents of the blue pouches and analyzed them. They contained a novel protein that is unusually rich with copper, suggesting that it's an oxygen binding-protein. Rather than being toxic itself, it likely is an enzyme that converts a nontoxic protein into something toxic.

"What happens is when the termites explode, the contents of the back pouch actually interact with secretions from the salivary gland and the mixture is what is toxic," explains Hanus. It's the first time two interacting chemicals have been shown responsible for a defense mechanism in termites, he says.

Researchers already knew that many social insects change roles in their colony as they age. Moreover, it's well known that a number of species of termites explode, often oozing sticky or smelly fluid onto their opponent. But in previously observed cases, the explosive or noxious material is found in the termites' heads, and the suicide missions are the responsibility of a distinct caste of soldier termites, not aging workers. Since N. taracua have soldiers, it's especially surprising to see workers exploding, says Hanus.

"This is a quirky, funny natural history," says behavioral ecologist Rebeca Rosengaus of Northeastern University in Boston, who was not involved in the study. "What's new and interesting here is that this is found to be an aspect of colony-related age organization," says biologist James Traniello of Boston University. And the placement and chemistry of the blue crystals is unique, he says. The findings illustrate the vast diversity of social structures and defense mechanisms that the more than 3000 species of termites have evolved over time, Traniello says.

One question that remains is exactly how aging triggers the accumulation of the blue crystals. "We're still not 100% sure what the role of the blue protein is," says Hanus. "That's definitely something which we want to perform further research on."

Advertisement