Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Proof that violence can be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

"If we can imagine it, we can do it."

The sum of the human spirit right there. There will be many things we won't be around see. They'll happen though. As we grow up we realise more and more that those things we thought when we were younger were thought be countless others. When we read old sci-fi and the like much of it comes true.

Politics (whatever side we may all be on) will act as a stumbling block forever but we'll get there eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

220px-Toshiba_la_vie_claire_%2788.jpg

Re the fibonacci spirals thing, the method of drawing the nautilus shell on graph paper reminds me of Piet Mondrian's paintings; the patterns used in the designs seem to have an inherently pleasing effect on the mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

I thought this looked interesting and Im a lover of the graphic novel form, so I thought Id share.
    Its free and its legal to download here
    http://www.clearbits.net/torrents/382-therefore-repent---a-post-rapture-graphic-novel
    663?type=thumb

Open Licensed Digital Media
    Graphic Novels
    Therefore Repent - a post-Rapture graphic novel

What if the religious right… are actually right? Without warning, multitudes of Christians float bodily up into the sky. For the immoral majority, life goes on pretty much as usual. Except that after the Rapture, magic works — for those willing to risk demonic mutations. And an angelic army appears to have been deployed to mop up the sinners. But through it all, outsiders Raven and Mummy face the possibility of a bigger problem than the end of the world: the end of their relationship. Praise for Therefore Repent! “It’s completely nuts… It’s a book about what if the Rapture actually happened, and that’s all I’m gonna tell you.” —Junot Díaz, 2008 Pulitzer Prize Winner for Fiction “Now, just dealing with the Rapture might be enough of a hook, but Jim and Salgood do a great job of characterization from the very beginning. The two protagonists are so interesting that I had to keep turning page after page to see what and who they were. And yes, Salgood can draw like nobody’s business… I give this book two thumbs up.” —Chris Pitzer, AdHouse Books

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hope this isn't a repost.
    The interviewers really come off as dumbasses. And it's not like they're interviewing a Nobel-winning physicist - he's just a smart actor. MF seemed like he was being deliberately innocuous.

3D Printer :eek:

Nice, but now find a use for a plastic spanner....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

recedite wrote: »
    Nice, but now find a use for a plastic spanner....

Eh, just because it's plastic doesn't mean it doesn't work. The spanner performs to pretty much the same speck as a ordinary "metal" spanner. Honestly, I think a lot of people underestimate the strength of plastics. :)

Check your local hardware/DIY shop and see how many plastic spanners you can find, although... I did get a tiny one in a Christmas Cracker one time. Hmmm.... now what did I do with that? I think it must have got swept up with the wrapping paper and other debris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Jernal wrote: »
    Eh, just because it's plastic doesn't mean it doesn't work. The spanner performs to pretty much the same speck as a ordinary "metal" spanner. Honestly, I think a lot of people underestimate the strength of plastics. :)

We call them 'Polymers' in the biz... /smug

(Not actually in the biz)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

3D Printer :eek:

But can it run Crys.... copy money?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

3D printer?! I wouldn't download a car would I not? We'll see....

Dades wrote: »
    The interviewers really come off as dumbasses. And it's not like they're interviewing a Nobel-winning physicist - he's just a smart actor. MF seemed like he was being deliberately innocuous.

He's inspirational. The joy in his eyes when he marvels at the advances in technology and the things we've seen in space and the fact that we can do anything we put our minds to. If he was speaking from a pulpit I would attend and listen.
    I reckon he is laughing inside, to himself, at the naivety of those two interviewing him. Morgan lol'd. :)

BTW, he reminds me of his character in Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

A thread people here might find interesting, was nearly going to post in this
    forum but it's a bit too philosophical.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mooliki

This is a few years old, so apologies if it's been posted before. Discussion between Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss over 12 parts;

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10
    Part 11
    Part 12

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

From ./ comes some too-good-for-the-creationism-thread news of biological reverse-engineering:
    ./ wrote:
    By bringing long-dead proteins back to life, researchers have worked out the process by which evolution added a component to a cellular machine. ... In a paper published in Nature, researchers recreated an 'ancestral' version of a cellular machine called the V-ATPase proton pump, which channels protons across membranes and is vital for keeping cell compartments at the right acidity. Part of this machine is a ring of six proteins that threads through the membrane. Animals and most other eukaryotes have a ring composed of two types of protein component; fungi are alone in having a ring with three. The researchers used computational methods to work backwards and find the most likely sequences of these proteins hundreds of millions of years ago. The team inserted the DNA into yeast and found that just two mutations can turn the simple 2-protein ring into the more complex 3-protein ring.

The Nature article is here, while the PLOS paper is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Light speed rollercoaster ride video
    It's the ultimate ride for thrill-seekers: a rollercoaster hurtling down a track at near-light speed surrounded by colour changes and distortions. Now, an animation developed by physicist Michael Hush from the Australian National University in Canberra lets you see the effects described by Einstein's special theory of relativity, by creating a fictional world where the speed of light is about 5 metres per second.

Watch while stoned at your own risk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

muppeteer wrote: »
    Light speed rollercoaster ride video

Watch while stoned at your own risk

Click that, mute it, then click this.

• Advertisement

K, so um, Sponsoredwalk can explain this. :p

From the comments -When a droplet impacts a pool at low speed, a layer of air trapped beneath the droplet can often prevent it from immediately coalescing into the pool. As that air layer drains away, surface tension pulls some of the droplet's mass into the pool while a smaller droplet is ejected. When it bounces off the surface of the water, the process is repeated and the droplet grows smaller and smaller until surface tension is able to completely absorb it into the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

K, so um, Sponsoredwalk can explain this. :p

Today has been a pretty good day but holy **** that has just topped my week! :D

The best I can do is this:

:(

I think you'll understand what I mean. :D

OMG, look at those supple bananas in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think you'll understand what I mean. :D

What an ungrateful Bitch!!

She should be thanking the Lord for the bounty that she has recieved.

....Such bounty... almost immeasureable bounty....bounty of the highest order......

All I really have to say is....'There is a God!!

:D

Hmm... need I remind people of coffee in an elevator?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Don't get the link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd prefer tea if you don't mind.

• Advertisement

Aesthetically pleasing violence;

Advertisement