Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

James Randi exposes Uri Geller and Peter Popoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

All I can do is take these stats at face value. Thought it makes interesting reading:

Top 10 most generous European countries vs percentage of that countries population who believe in God.

10. Germany – 40% (10th most generous euro country - 40% of Germans believe in God)
    7 Luxemburg – 44%
    7 Switzerland – 48%
    7 Finland – 41%
    6 Malta – 95%
    5 Denmark – 31%
    4 Iceland – 31%
    3 Netherlands – 31%
    2 UK – 38%
    1 Ireland – 73%

Sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism
    http://www.businessinsider.com/charity-giving-europe-2011-12#1-ireland-20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    All I can do is take these stats at face value.

Its never a good idea to take statistics at face value. The "measure" used for "charitable giving of money" was to ask people if they had given money to charity in the past month. Churchgoers who had given a few cent to their own church would probably answer yes to that.

The Scandinavian countries where only a minority attend a church don't feature high on your list, even though the amount they actually give away is far more.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_charitable_countries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

robindch wrote: »
    Here's the Beeb underneath the antarctic ice, time-lapsing a 'brinicle':

Full article here.

The BBC have fattened up your link, robindch, at a different page. Just stumbled across it now.

A lot of technology discussion and human endurance issues surrounding the Brinicle filming.

Great audio of a Weddell Seal, who lived in the Brinicle cavern\clearing. (pushed over one of the time lapse cameras too..)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/16250444

---

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

recedite wrote: »
    Its never a good idea to take statistics at face value.

"Face value" perhaps not the best choice of words. I mean to say - assuming the stats are correct as they are. Your link shows some interesting numbers. I hadnt come across that page before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyone who doesn't read If This is a Man is not worth talking to. Was about to post this in the "Interesting" thread but it has a nice fit here. Even though it was translated into English it still has an unbelievably power about it.

MOD EDIT:
    Moved to the Interesting thread (here) and the zombie book thread has been shotgunned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Lot of edits but just realised I'm the only person who mentioned If This is a Man, it should be on the Primary School syllabus as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think primary school is a bit young for it - would certainly agree that it's an incredibly powerful read though.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Zach Wahls, 19, speaks out to support same sex marriage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Sweden recognises new file-sharing religion Kopimism
    A "church" whose central tenet is the right to file-share has been formally recognised by the Swedish government.

The Church of Kopimism claims that "kopyacting" - sharing information through copying - is akin to a religious service.

The "spiritual leader" of the church said recognition was a "large step".

But others were less enthusiastic and said the church would do little to halt the global crackdown on piracy.

The Swedish government agency Kammarkollegiet finally registered the Church of Kopimism as a religious organisation shortly before Christmas, the group said.

"We had to apply three times," said Gustav Nipe, chairman of the organisation.

The church, which holds CTRL+C and CTRL+V (shortcuts for copy and paste) as sacred symbols, does not directly promote illegal file sharing, focusing instead on the open distribution of knowledge to all. ..

A bit like the rastas use of religion as a loophole to smoke weed. It's funny to see people taking advantage of this ridiculous idea that special allowances must be made for people who believe in nonsense labeled as religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Standman wrote: »
    A bit like the rastas use of religion as a loophole to smoke weed. It's funny to see people taking advantage of this ridiculous idea that special allowances must be made for people who believe in nonsense labeled as religion.

Surely you're not implying that other religions are less ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Sarky wrote: »
    One of the more obvious applications for quantum levitation. Just scale it up a bit and we have Wipeout in real life.

Not really, rather one of the more obvious applications for CGI,& youtube.

http://z6mag.com/featured/controlled-quantum-levitation-fools-50k-into-thinking-viral-video-was-real-164282.html

Noes! Science has failed me, I'm going back to Catholicism. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

pH wrote: »

...and this is why it didn't ring any alarm bells for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Noes! Science has failed me, I'm going back to Catholicism. :(
    :)
    Science has not failed you. If it had, this would be you.
    monkey_fingers_in_ears.jpg
    "Lalalalalalalala not listening...it's real. It's Real. I believe it's real and that's that. Please don't offend my beliefs. My PERSONAL beliefs!! Lalalalalalla not listening."
    You, however, changed your position in accordance with new evidence.

Calibos wrote: »
    ...and this is why it didn't ring any alarm bells for me...

... that's actually a much better video anyway.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    :)
    Science has not failed you. If it had, this would be you...

NO! Science HAS failed me! I can't hear you! LALALALALALALALA NOT LISTENING!

... that's actually a much better video anyway.

Not really. I still don't get why the fack it's called quantum levitation. :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Quality soundtrack to that. Love me a bit of Noisia.

I found this to be quite interesting.

Eugh this being 2012 just made me realise we only have three more years to perfect that "quantum" levitation and get our own hoverboards. I wanted one ever since I was a kid.

Boffins don't let me down!:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jernal wrote: »
    I found this to be quite interesting.
    That family have a very healthy attitude to discussion. Though I'd like to see the next instalment when he comes back questioning the veracity of Christianity itself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Dades wrote: »
    That family have a very healthy attitude to discussion. Though I'd like to see the next instalment when he comes back questioning the veracity of Christianity itself. :pac:

That's exactly where that conversation is going to go. Another 10 years time, and that family will be Agnostic/Atheist.
    I didn't watch the whole video, but the parents (especially the mother) seem very open and willing to have serious discussion and aren't afraid of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Liamario wrote: »
    Surely you're not implying that other religions are less ridiculous?

Surely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Liamario wrote: »
    That's exactly where that conversation is going to go. Another 10 years time, and that family will be Agnostic/Atheist.
    I didn't watch the whole video, but the parents (especially the mother) seem very open and willing to have serious discussion and aren't afraid of the truth.

I dunno, I have a feeling they're happy to discuss the ancillary topics that don't challenge their deeper beliefs (i.e god). I bet they're a la carte to an extent and when the son gets passed that point things will be a little less civil. They don't seem confrontational and neither does the son and I'd wager it will be an agree to disagree resolution if I were a betting man!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Advertisement