Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Back on the Galapagos Islands, biologists catch nature with its trousers down - having been able to track the development of an entirely new species from a single instance of hybrid breeding back in 1981.

Take that, creationists!

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-42103058

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    having been able to track the development of an entirely new species from a single instance of hybrid breeding back in 1981.
    I'd be a bit sceptical about that. For one thing there has always been a lot of variation in the finches there, which is why Darwin found them interesting. I don't see anything new here.
    Also, 65 miles is not a long way for a bird with a tailwind.
    Also, if these birds are incapable of mating with the locals, why was the original male migrant not so constrained?
    Also, they have changed the goalposts regarding the definition of a species.
    IMO these are all subspecies, or races.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How f**ked up is this?

I won't link to the article as that'd just be making it worse, but it was on the Irish Times site today.
    After thanking the jury for their service, Judge Karen O’Connor lifted reporting restrictions that prevented the media from naming Mr ****** during the trial.

This man could not be named in the media while the charges of sexual assault against him stood, now that he has been acquitted of these charges it's perfecly OK to name him and associate him for years to come with allegations of sexual assault.

The system is seriously f**ked up. We wouldn't countenance naming his accuser, yet he is named and shamed in relation to accusations he was found innocent of. It's not justice that's for sure.

Life ain't always empty.

National Geographic sells itself. To climate-change deniers, Rupert Murdoch and the general Fox News hivemind.
    National Geographic runs an article on "a group of Young Marines being taught to embody a patriotic love of God and country".

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/12/young-marines-blesener/
    Young Marines is an example of mixing patriotism and militarism, which goes hand in hand with a lot of American culture. For many of the kids, their participation is completely divorced from politics. It’s about camaraderie and providing an important stepping stone for their future. [...] At a time when everything feels so divided, it is important to listen to other people and have insight into their worlds as fellow Americans [...] When it comes to young people I want to show this is complicated and nuanced. It is also interesting to look at how these ideals are being developed. ‘Make America Great’ is not a new concept.

As the author says, "its not a new concept".
    Whats new is the political correctness of being critical of it.
    Which the author and the photographer are tapping into, for all it is worth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

recedite wrote: »
    As the author says, "its not a new concept".
    Whats new is the political correctness of being critical of it.
    Which the author and the photographer are tapping into, for all it is worth.

Not getting where the author is being critical of it. Doesn't seem too different from the boy scouts with all of its attendant controversy.

As it says in the text
    While Blesener has approached her project with a critical eye
    You can't look at those photos without getting a creepy feeling that something is wrong. These are not kids or cadets, they are mutant robots trained to kill in the name of Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

http://bgr.com/2017/12/14/oldest-shark-greenland-512-years-old/

This shark could give ol Methuselah a run for his money

they’ve determined that the creature is approximately 272 to 512 years old.
    That is quite vague. It must be a female.

That is quite vague. It must be a female.

And doesn't reach sexual maturity until over a hundred years old, that is one seriously long puberty ;)

• Advertisement

Unexpectedly, and only by a margin of one vote, Indonesia's Supreme Court does not ban sex outside of marriage.

http://www.france24.com/en/20171214-indonesia-constitutional-court-declines-ban-extramarital-sex

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Unexpectedly, and only by a margin of one vote, Indonesia's Supreme Court does not ban sex outside of marriage.

It's a sad reflection on where the United States is headed that I initially read that as "Indiana" and was only mildly surprised.

Believe it or not, anti-'sodomy' laws were still in place in 14 US states until 2003, until the Supreme Court struck the laws down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_v._Texas

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Episode 1 of a 3 part BBC series on Atheism available on youtube, overview and narration by Jonathan Miller, playwright and trained medic.

I viewed it 5 years ago. Excellent viewing for atheist, agnostic or religious. I'm new here so preview mightn't pop up.

Yep watched that a couple of years ago, it's very good.

Also available online is a series of extended interviews with the guests from this programme - these were too long to be broadcast but well done to the BBC for making them available online.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

The Year of the Dog is upon us. Happy lunar new year to all, 新年快乐!

Following Republican gerrymandering in Wisconsin, the problem of how to avoid it is once again in the headlines.

Here's one interesting suggestion for how to cut up districts "fairly" amongst two parties:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/02/how-the-i-cut-you-choose-method-of-redistricting-could-fix-a-broken-system.html

In January, a Georgetown university department published the results of research into why kids who are brought up as catholic abandon the religion.

https://www.smp.org/product/5926/Going-Going-Gone/
    https://www.lasallian.info/2018/01/going-going-gone-saint-marys-press-releases-study-on-disaffiliation/
    http://www.startribune.com/study-shows-why-young-catholics-leave-the-church/475709783/
    smp.org wrote:
    The study reveals that disaffiliation from the Church is largely a thoughtful, conscious, intentional choice made by young people in a secularized society where faith and religious practice are seen as one option among many. It’s a process that unfolds over time. Many disaffiliated youth and young adults report feeling “free” and “relieved” when they decide to no longer identify as Catholic. Family dynamics frequently play a role in disaffiliation. Still others who disaffiliate perceive that they can be happy and live good, moral lives without the burden or baggage of religious affiliation.
    The report reveals that disaffiliation is a process that happens over time, typically prompted by a series of events or unresolved questions. Of those surveyed, 35 percent identified as having no religious affiliation, nine percent said they are some other non-Protestant Christian affiliation, 14 percent identified as an atheist or agnostic, nine percent identified as Protestant, and fewer than one in ten of the remaining responded with some other religious affiliation. When asked at what age they no longer identified themselves as Catholic, 74 percent of the sample said between the ages of 10 and 20, with the median age being 13 years old.
    They stopped believing in God. They saw a disconnect between what Catholics say and what they do. They disagreed with the church’s stance on social issues such as homosexuality and birth control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Neil Carter over on Patheos has an assessment of Billy Graham.

Billy Graham Was Not A Great Man

Rather strong stuff from Mary McAleese here. She pretty much nails it in what is IMHO quite a brave move for someone religiously inclined as herself.

• Advertisement

People over in the Vatican must be wondering why she isn't officially a protestant, if she is protesting so much against church policy.
    To which the simple answer is; she's from N. Ireland and you can't change your religion up there, any more than the colour of your skin.
    Hence like many others she is stuck in the strange existence of the "outspoken disloyal catholic but definitely not a protestant".:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

People over in the Vatican must be wondering why she isn't officially a protestant, if she is protesting so much against church policy.
    To which the simple answer is; she's from N. Ireland and you can't change your religion up there, any more than the colour of your skin.
    Hence like many others she is stuck in the strange existence of the "outspoken disloyal catholic but definitely not a protestant".:)
    Nobody in the Vatican is wondering this. One of the distinctions between Catholicism and Protestantism is the emphasis Catholics put on communion being embodied in structured relationships, and on those relationships being maintained in the face of challenges. "If she disagrees, why doesn't she leave?" is very much a Protestant reaction to observing disagreement; Catholics will readily understand why she wouldn't leave. The Catholic reaction to disagreement is to try to use the relationship to influence the views of those you disagree with. And of course in the Vatican they are mostly Catholics.

smacl wrote: »
    Rather strong stuff from Mary McAleese here. She pretty much nails it in what is IMHO quite a brave move for someone religiously inclined as herself.

For someone as deeply mentally embedded in the cult as she is, a far braver move would be to walk away entirely.

With regard to Peregrinus's post above: I was brought up as a catholic and was quite embedded in it in daily life throughout my childhood and adolescence (despite, to the best of my recollection, never actually believing...) I can't understand why she doesn't leave. And in the Vatican, no influence is possible.

Life ain't always empty.

pauldla wrote: »
    Neil Carter over on Patheos has an assessment of Billy Graham.

Hope he died roarin'.

He was an intelligent man, he must have been well aware of the utter futility* of his life's work but of course carried on nonetheless.

* I define futility on his own terms, i.e. converts to xtianity, it is well documented that only a tiny percentage of attenders of these meetings 'converted' and the 'conversion' rarely lasts beyond a few years at best.

Billy Graham Was Not a Great Man
    Americans respect quantification, and Graham was a marvel of quantities. He spoke…to more people directly — about 215 million — than any person in history.

That’s an astounding figure, to be sure. Except follow-up studies revealed that the percentages of people who would make actual “professions of faith” as a result of his crusades were always in the single digits, and further interviews with Graham intimated that their own research showed that an overwhelming majority of those people had turned away from their newfound faith within a matter of a few years. So upon further analysis, mass evangelism may not have ultimately been the most effective or consequential thing that Billy Graham did in his lifetime.

Life ain't always empty.

For someone as deeply mentally embedded in the cult as she is, a far braver move would be to walk away entirely.

Not so sure. Mary McAleese stops going to church isn't quite the same headline. Joking aside, making an effort to change an organisation that you are part of yet believe has deeply toxic elements can be a tougher call than walking away, as can be seen in the Maurice McCabe case. I would imagine there are many Irish Catholics who find the hierarchy offensive for so many reasons yet still wish to remain Catholic. While I'm no fan of the Catholic church myself, I reckon McAleese has done them a favour here though I doubt they'll see it that way.
    With regard to Peregrinus's post above: I was brought up as a catholic and was quite embedded in it in daily life throughout my childhood and adolescence (despite, to the best of my recollection, never actually believing...) I can't understand why she doesn't leave. And in the Vatican, no influence is possible.

Didn't have a religious upbringing, but I'd guess you could broadly divide those who did into two groups. Those who believe in their God and those who don't. The former will be more likely to want to change their church where the latter are more likely to abandon it.

The actual speech here, starts about 10 minutes in and IMHO quite entertaining.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    One of the distinctions between Catholicism and Protestantism is the emphasis Catholics put on communion being embodied in structured relationships, and on those relationships being maintained in the face of challenges.
    I have no idea what that means.
    Do you mean the power of mumbo jumbo?
    Maybe that's why I am an atheist;, I never had much tolerance for swallowing accepted doctrine when it smelled strongly of BS.

Maybe that's why I am an atheist;, I never had much tolerance for swallowing accepted doctrine when it smelled strongly of BS.

Bit like me and football. Bunch of lads kicking a ball around, couldn't give a damn about the colour shirts they're wearing or even watch the game for more than about three minutes, but I believe there are those quite passionate about these things. Rugby now I can sit and watch for hours and will shout for Ireland, Leinster, one of the provinces, any team from the Southern hemisphere, or the underdog putting their neck on the line with a passion. Each to their own, vive la difference and thank Arthur it's Friday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No. It means you can't be a Christian on your own; you have to be part of a structured community, a church; Christianity is a relationship. Therefore if you have criticisms of the church, "leave the church" is not the first reaction. The first reaction is "fix the church".

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    No. It means you can't be a Christian on your own; you have to be part of a structured community, a church; Christianity is a relationship. Therefore if you have criticisms of the church, "leave the church" is not the first reaction. The first reaction is "fix the church".
    That would only seem a realistic choice in those structured Christian churches that employ voting procedures for the membership, and some flexibility in their doctrine.

Advertisement