Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

And generally only to about 3 cities in America at that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

postitnote wrote: »
    And generally only to about 3 cities in America at that.
    I find it reassuring that in those movies where aliens attack continents and you see major capital cities, you never see Dublin. We are neutral, they must have read the memo. Similar for asteroid inflicted tidal waves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

CramCycle wrote: »
    I find it reassuring that in those movies where aliens attack continents and you see major capital cities, you never see Dublin. We are neutral, they must have read the memo. Similar for asteroid inflicted tidal waves.

We got fairly fscked in Day After Tomorrow from the looks of some of the leo shots. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We did grand in 'The Day After'. Shannon Airport got H-bombed (due to high charges and inflexible workforce no doubt) but the rest of the country was probably OK :p The Whestern Rhail Chorridor was saved.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

We got fairly fscked in Day After Tomorrow from the looks of some of the leo shots. :p

Was that the one where the world flooded, and we all dug holes in the bog to survive?

• Advertisement

Was that the one where the world flooded, and we all dug holes in the bog to survive?

No, it was space cyclones and the US emmigrating to Mexico.

Ah, now I remember, it was 2012 or something where we dug holes in the bog to live

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ah, now I remember, it was 2012 or something where we dug holes in the bog to live

I dug mine in 2008. You can't be too prepared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

So many Roland Emmerich movies, so little time in which to avoid watching them.

Aah, bliss is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Correlation doesn't imply causation. Some people apparently struggle to grasp that simple statement so here is a website with a program dedicated to finding spurious correlations.

http://www.tylervigen.com/

Some of my favs:
    xqOt9mP.png

OfQYQW8.png

PRJk5Ql.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

My favourite one for spurious correlation that I use in teaching is death by drowning on a hot day and ice cream sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Bellatori wrote: »
    My favourite one for spurious correlation that I use in teaching is death by drowning on a hot day and ice cream sales.
    But how can you be ure the people are not drowning on melted icecream? You can answer that.

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    But how can you be ure the people are not drowning on melted icecream? You can answer that.

MrP

Because melted ice cream in the quantity required to drown that many people would act as a non Newtonian fluid. Once that many people were flapping about in it, it would take on the properties of a rubbery solid, they'd all bounce around quite happily, and everybody would be safe.

Prove me wrong. I really want to see that YouTube clip!

:pac:

endacl wrote: »
    Because melted ice cream in the quantity required to drown that many people would act as a non Newtonian fluid. Once that many people were flapping about in it, it would take on the properties of a rubbery solid, they'd all bounce around quite happily, and everybody would be safe.

Prove me wrong. I really want to see that YouTube clip!

:pac:

Isn't quicksand a non-newtonian fluid? You're trying to kill him!

Isn't quicksand a non-newtonian fluid? You're trying to kill him!

I'm pretty sure the Mythbusters proved that you can't actually drown in quicksand.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

800 people died by becoming tangled in their bedsheets in 2008 :eek:

Who knew going to bed could be so dangerous? Well that's not the danger I would have thought about if asked about risks in the bedroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Perhaps 'tangled in the bedsheets' might be to the coroner's reporting of a mastychoke taken too far.

Y'know, save the family some embarrassment.

800 people died by becoming tangled in their bedsheets in 2008 :eek:

Who knew going to bed could be so dangerous? Well that's not the danger I would have thought about if asked about risks in the bedroom!

The inventor of leaded petrol died via a contraption he built to get him out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

800 people died by becoming tangled in their bedsheets in 2008

inventive way of not recording a suicide as such.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

The inventor of leaded petrol died via a contraption he built to get him out of bed.

I remember him being discussed on QI - the inventor of both leaded petrol and CFC's. The collosal damage he's done to the atmosphere is astonishing.

• Advertisement

I remember him being discussed on QI - the inventor of both leaded petrol and CFC's. The collosal damage he's done to the atmosphere is astonishing.

An environmental Mikhail Kalashnikov, if you will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

This might help to explain the bedsheets statistics?
    Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), also known as cot death, is the sudden, unexpected and unexplained death of an apparently well baby....vulnerability may be due to being born prematurely or to low birth weight, or other reasons not yet identified. Environmental stresses could include tobacco smoke, getting tangled in bedding, minor illness or having a breathing obstruction.
    Babies who die of SIDS are thought to have problems in the way they respond to these stresses and how they regulate their heart rate, breathing and temperature
    http://www.absolutepharmacy.co.uk/index.php?option=com_mccontent&view=nhsarticle&id=312&Itemid=481

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Measure for Measure: Debate of Current Theories in Quantum Mechanics

At Measure for Measure, physicist and World Science Festival co-founder Brian Greene moderates a debate of the current theories of quantum physics. David Z. Albert, Sean Carroll, Sheldon Goldstein, and Ruedlger Schack join the conversation and explain the different approaches to understanding quantum mechanics.

Full thing: http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2014/05/29/quantum-mechanics-smackdown/

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭8mv

endacl wrote: »
    An environmental Mikhail Kalashnikov, if you will...

He is also acknowledged in one of Bill Bryson's science books ( can't remember if it's A Short History... or At Home) as the single most destructive human ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

8mv wrote: »
    He is also acknowledged in one of Bill Bryson's science books ( can't remember if it's A Short History... or At Home) as the single most destructive human ever.

I always feel sorry for the guy, he just wanted to help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Brief history I believe, its not At Home anyway as I've listened to the Audiobook during the past two days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Havent read at home but I remember that line and I've read a short history

It's a Brief History, the audiobook is semi-permanently on my sansa. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

This was the first audiobook I ever listened to. William Roberts does a brilliant job narrating, I was so disappointed when I actually heard Bill Bryson read one of his other books. Has to be the dullest voice ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I actually think it was 'Life Form' not human

Advertisement