Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

304821.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I love that Aboriginal "Dreamtime" is out on it's own in terms of being uninfluenced by any other religion, and also not influencing.......

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That'd be down to geography.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

ninja900 wrote: »
    That'd be down to geography.

Yes. Australia appeals to me - so much expanse, so few people :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Obliq wrote: »
    Yes. Australia appeals to me - so much expanse, so few people :cool:

There's a reason there's so few people though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

robindch wrote: »
    <religious evolutionary tree>

If this is true then where are all the transitional religions? :eek::confused::D:pac:

darjeeling wrote: »
    If this is true then where are all the transitional religions? :eek::confused::D:pac:
    If god had wanted transitional religions, He would have Created them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Pantheism, right there at the beginning and still going strong 20,000 years later. First and best, everything else is a transitional religion between old and new Pan(en)theism..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

nagirrac wrote: »
    Pantheism, right there at the beginning and still going strong 20,000 years later. First and best, everything else is a transitional religion between old and new Pan(en)theism..

That's all well and good, but you have no funky headgear! Pantheism cannot compete with any of the established religions in that regard. Even the Mormons have their underpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What if you turn your underpants inside out, and then wear them for another few days. Is that old or new pantheism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm believe that my wok can cook anything. Is that Frying-pantheism?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

I really liked the diagram above. It made me think of another diagram I saw which I particularly liked and related to religion.
    Today, most Christian theologians will say that the Bible should not be interpreted literally as many fundamentalists do, but allegorically, with emphasis on morals and parables. That’s fine for the enlightened scholar, but this is certainly not how the Bible is taught. Throughout my first 8 years of Catholic school, the Bible was indeed taught very literally, and what I noticed very early on was the copious contractions to be found.

I can affirm that these many inconsistencies, coupled with the fact that they were ridiculous and taught as fact, led me headlong towards atheism and science, where I now firmly reside. Atheists such as myself may be quick to point out to the literal believer these inconsistencies, but because most of us don’t carry around Bibles or memorize enough of it as to make our points absolutely clear, I think it is more useful as a visual.

sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/a-visual-representation-of-biblical-contradictions/

It is an amazing visualisation of the contradictions in the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

kylith wrote: »
    I'm believe that my wok can cook anything. Is that Frying-pantheism?

Fundamental error. 'You' can cook anything. The wok is simply a totem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bellatori wrote: »
    I really liked the diagram above. It made me think of another diagram I saw which I particularly liked and related to religion.

sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/a-visual-representation-of-biblical-contradictions/

It is an amazing visualisation of the contradictions in the bible.

Wow.

That's... big. I'd try and describe it better but I don't there are words. Definitely would make a load-bearing poster if you were remodelling a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

endacl wrote: »
    Fundamental error. 'You' can cook anything. The wok is simply a totem.

I have faith in my wok.

Stephen Fry discusses the evolution of language. Also pwns Jonathon Woss.

http://www.wimp.com/modernlanguage/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Turtwig wrote: »

A lot of those I'd seen before, but nice to see them all in one place. I liked the one about the Sistine Chapel being a huge 'f.u.', and I'd never noticed that about the seat belts incident in Jurassic Park. Nature finds a way indeed!

Top 5 Reasons Why You Sound Crazy When You Denounce GMOs

http://oldpiano.org/?p=400

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

America's Real Criminal Element: Lead
    Gasoline lead may explain as much as 90 percent of the rise and fall of violent crime over the past half century.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

ninja900 wrote: »
    There is a really great/interesting story behind this too, which I posted about some time ago:
    ... (below)
    Saw the Wiki article on Thomas Midgley Jr. just earlier today; he discovered that 'tetraethyllead' mixed with petrol (i.e. leaded petrol), improved the performance of engines, and with this invention he contributed enormously to the pollution of cities and the atmosphere around the world for decades (even, with recent discoveries, triggering a significant increase in violent criminal behaviour in countries using leaded petrol).

He also was part of the team that invented CFC's, thus also personally contributing to the massive depletion of the Ozone layer and to global warming; a good quote on the wiki page:
    J. R. McNeill, an environmental historian, has remarked that Midgley "had more impact on the atmosphere than any other single organism in Earth's history."

Another one of his inventions, which he developed after contracting polio, was "an elaborate system of strings and pulleys to help others lift him from bed" - which he eventually got entangled in, strangling himself to death.

Open to correction here but's my understanding that CFCs have very little to GHG contribution.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Open to correction here but's my understanding that CFCs have very little to GHG contribution.
    Even though they're a very potent GHG, yes, their overall contribution is likely to be pretty small compared to CO2.

Brilliant article on science inquiry and society.

Worth a read, grab a coffee first and enjoy.

Me thinks me must get the book. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've read about that Oklo reactor before, it's a fascinating place. Here's a line from the article that you rarely see in a scientific piece "To date, this work is consistent with these constants being constant":D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Bellatori

I've read about that Oklo reactor before, it's a fascinating place. Here's a line from the article that you rarely see in a scientific piece "To date, this work is consistent with these constants being constant":D

I found that very interesting to read. For a moment when I saw the post I thought it would be another alien conspiracy web site!! In that context (the proper one not the Alien Conspiracy!) the comment about constants makes perfect sense.

Bellatori wrote: »
    I found that very interesting to read. For a moment when I saw the post I thought it would be another alien conspiracy web site!! In that context (the proper one not the Alien Conspiracy!) the comment about constants makes perfect sense.

That's one of the many advantages of being a Terry Pratchett fan, I first read about this all the way back in 2001, where it was discussed in the first Science of Discworld book.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's one of the many advantages of being a Terry Pratchett fan, I first read about this all the way back in 2001, where it was discussed in the first Science of Discworld book.

So it is or isn't ficticious?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    So it is or isn't ficticious?

The natural nuclear reactor at Oklo is fictional, the natural thaumaturgical reactor is real. Everybody knows Roundworld is simply a fantasy, silly.

Advertisement