Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Near death experiences explained
    I guess it not God after all

A surge of electrical activity in the brain could be responsible for the vivid experiences reported by near-death survivors, scientists report.

A study carried out on dying rats found high levels of brainwaves at the point of the animals' demise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23672150

Where's the electricity come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Where's the electricity come from?

Not electricity, electrical activity. The same activity that's going on in your brain all the time, just more of it.

Where does electricity come from?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Electricity is created when God rubs a balloon on a pussy.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Electric current can be one of the by-products of chemical reactions.

And we are, of course, just bags of chemicals undergoing constant reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Molecular excitation, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

God certainly knows how to excite himself then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's a complicated mess of magnetism, radiation and subatomic particles jumping around.

Alternatively, electrons are angels doing God's work. I'm sure I read a piece on that before somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Nothing religious but definitely a low point for news reporting in the U.S (and not by FOX!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Oh wow, I've finally found a facebook game that suits me. It's USEFUL!! Genius, and quite dear to my heart as I have many, many ash trees.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/13/ash-dieback-facebook-fraxinus-game

"Facebook enthusiasts will be able to log on from Tuesday and take part in one of the biggest experiments to harness computing and brain power to discover genetic variants that could help to counter ash dieback disease, caused by the fungus Chalara fraxinea. If thousands of people play the game, which involves matching on-screen patterns that correlate with genetic data amassed by scientists in the field, the results could hasten the process of breeding trees resistant to the disease from 50 years or more to a decade or less."

Playing it now.....real life jigsaw puzzles. I like it :D

Link to game:
    https://apps.facebook.com/fraxinusgame/?fb_source=dialog_permission&fb_appcenter=1

Hmmm. Seems you're trying to beat the computer, in a way. I don't get it much.....any gamers/data people can explain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^^
    Reported as spam!

:D

endacl wrote: »
    ^^^
    Reported as spam!

:D

OH SH*T! Never thought of that :eek::eek: I'm getting the hang of it now. I couldn't care less if anyone else likes it, just thought it was an interesting use of facebook and human input into all that data they have to churn through.... :)

Gamers are a brilliant resource. I recall one research group making a puzzle game out of their protein-folding prediction problems, that could take the fastest computer clusters days to solve, whereas gamers could solve it in a few minutes. Clever thing, the human brain.

Yeah, well I like patterns. Not convinced this game isn't full of bugs and it's definitely not user friendly. A pity - it's a worthwhile idea.

Sarky wrote: »
    Gamers are a brilliant resource. I recall one research group making a puzzle game out of their protein-folding prediction problems, that could take the fastest computer clusters days to solve, whereas gamers could solve it in a few minutes. Clever thing, the human brain.

Colleague of mine (gamer since the old amstrad days) used teach via games - he would recreate all the parameters of major battles like Waterloo then allocate roles to a group of students and see if they could make Napolean win.

"You have died of dysentery."

Ah, Oregon Trail, you were so historically accurate...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Colleague of mine (gamer since the old amstrad days) used teach via games - he would recreate all the parameters of major battles like Waterloo then allocate roles to a group of students and see if they could make Napolean win.

That seems a lot more interesting than what I do, which is changing my PS3's language settings to German. At least I know what the German for diffuser is! :pac:

A mosaic based on Van Gogh's Starry Night made using images taken by the Hubble Telescope.

How cool is that!

0Hdcd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

That was a TV show once upon a time on the BeeBeebCeeb. "Time Commanders", in which a team of four players was assigned command over an army during a battle from the ancient world (Teotoburger Wald, Cannae, Gaugamela, etc), and they had to see if they could win through their own cunning. The game itself used the engine that later became "Rome: Total War". Both game and show were enjoyed thoroughly, being a bit of an armchair general myself.

Come to think of it, the only team I remember winning was a group of Irish buskers who went mental with a huge regiment of cataphracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^

Very cool

An interesting fact about an interesting post - and an Irish connection!

M51Sketch.jpg

Look familiar?

That's the first drawing made to clearly show the spiral structure of any galaxy. It was made by William Parsons, the 3rd Earl of Rosse in 1845. Parsons was responsible for building the 'Leviathan', then the world's largest telescope, in the grounds of his home in Birr Castle, Co Offaly. There is a theory that this drawing was an inspiration for Van Gogh's 'Starry Night'. Thought you'd like the 'history' bit Bannasidhe.

See! I know the aul' astronomy stuff would come in handy on this forum at some point!

A mosaic based on Van Gogh's Starry Night made using images taken by the Hubble Telescope.

How cool is that!

NICE! And very cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

the first drawing made to clearly show the spiral structure of any galaxy. It was mad by William Parsons, the 3rd Earl of Rosse in 1845. Parsons was responsible for building the 'Leviathan', then the world's largest telescope
    The guy's sons built their own family steam car, and sadly were involved in the worlds first fatal car accident.
    Which just goes to show, being ahead of your time is not without risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

^^

Very cool

An interesting fact about an interesting post - and an Irish connection!

It was made by William Parsons, the 3rd Earl of Rosse in 1845. Parsons was responsible for building the 'Leviathan', then the world's largest telescope, in the grounds of his home in Birr Castle, Co Offaly.

Ah Offaly, the home of Irish science and forward thinking since 1845 :p

Cool pic. I remember going to see the telescope in Birr castle as a child. My dad was excited by the telescope and I thought it was cool to climb on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

recedite wrote: »
    The guy's sons built their own family steam car, and sadly were involved in the worlds first fatal car accident.
    offaly was also the site of the world's first air disaster - a hot air balloon crashed in tullamore, and the resulting fire burned down 130 houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ak2002sw_d.gif:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The everywhere stretch theory

Oh crap. I hate looking at "The Universe" as an object. How/Why/What is it? I don't even.....

Head melt, again

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

In a technical tour de force, Japanese researchers created eggs and sperm in the laboratory. Now, scientists have to determine how to use those cells safely — and ethically.
    Since last October, molecular biologist Katsuhiko Hayashi has received around a dozen e-mails from couples, most of them middle-aged, who are desperate for one thing: a baby. One menopausal woman from England offered to come to his laboratory at Kyoto University in Japan in the hope that he could help her to conceive a child. “That is my only wish,” she wrote.

The requests started trickling in after Hayashi published the results of an experiment that he had assumed would be of interest mostly to developmental biologists. Starting with the skin cells of mice in vitro, he created primordial germ cells (PGCs), which can develop into both sperm and eggs. To prove that these laboratory-grown versions were truly similar to naturally occurring PGCs, he used them to create eggs, then used those eggs to create live mice. He calls the live births a mere 'side effect' of the research, but that bench experiment became much more, because it raised the prospect of creating fertilizable eggs from the skin cells of infertile women. And it also suggested that men's skin cells could be used to create eggs, and that sperm could be generated from women's cells. (Indeed, after the research was published, the editor of a gay and lesbian magazine e-mailed Hayashi for more information.)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

Oh, that's gonna piss off a bunch of people who are usually pretty grumpy to begin with.

Advertisement