Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Obliq wrote: »
    Jaysus, wat? I gave up after I got at least half of them wrong by question 12. And one of the right ones was given to me by mistake (they gave the answer for the heaviest noble gas in the tag line!). Sigh. Didn't do science after 2nd year till a biology module in college (that I failed, badly :o ). I am, however, a proper order atheist - 2nd generation I'll have you know. Spiritual types get a hard time trying their "angel" crap on me ;)
    No excuse. The last science I studied was leaving cert biology. 22 years ago. And I got a C in that. :D

I'm sorry, but we have to maintain standards. There has to be a cutoff point. :pac:

If you want to write a brief pm to the admins outlining your case and stating the reasons why you shouldn't be busted down to spirituality....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jaysus, wat? I gave up after I got at least half of them wrong by question 12. And one of the right ones was given to me by mistake (they gave the answer for the heaviest noble gas in the tag line!). Sigh. Didn't do science after 2nd year till a biology module in college (that I failed, badly :o ). I am, however, a proper order atheist - 2nd generation I'll have you know. Spiritual types get a hard time trying their "angel" crap on me ;)

I gave up too. I was enjoying it but the combination of a slow connection and it giving you the answer during the fecking test, meaning twice as many pages to load, gave me Rage.

I'm gonna miss you guys....

:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

endacl wrote: »
    You can repeat in the autumn. If you don't score at least 80% then, I'm afraid it's the spirituality forum for you.

Autumn repeat marks are capped at 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm gonna miss you guys....

:(

We're all going to miss you too.;)
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

swampgas wrote: »
    94% :)
    Got the cell division wrong and the more obscure planetary moons beat me as well.

Me too. Meosis/mitosis and which one of Pluto's moons led to it being downgraded, and something else I can't remember. I'll admit to guessing a couple of the ones I got right :D

Layout of it was very aggravating alright.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Autumn repeat marks are capped at 40%.

Even with a doctor's note? And a 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Even with a doctor's note? And a 50?

And a lovely bottle of Blue Nun! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I never studied biology so i hadn't the foggiest about most of the biology questions.

For some reason I find biology to be incredibly tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I did the same and if it wasn't multiple choice it would have been closer to 1 right from the first 15 or so.
    No excuse. The last science I studied was leaving cert biology. 22 years ago. And I got a C in that. :D

I'm sorry, but we have to maintain standards. There has to be a cutoff point. :pac:

If you want to write a brief pm to the admins outlining your case and stating the reasons why you shouldn't be busted down to spirituality....
    Does never having studied any science subject other than Geography (apparently it counts as a science subject for many 3rd level courses) get me a pass????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Got a 92%... I'm not thrilled because at least two of the four I got wrong I really should have known but I was in work and distracted and didn't read them carefully enough.
    Oh well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Gbear wrote: »
    I never studied biology so i hadn't the foggiest about most of the biology questions.

For some reason I find biology to be incredibly tedious.

Might be because biology, at least as taught early on, is really just a body of knowledge. No real equations to let you work out problems like in physics or chemistry, just stuff to learn.

The fun stuff comes later when you get your own lab and play god with billions of microscopic organisms. Or in my case, playing god with huge data sets created by other biologists playing god with living things.

Geography counts as a science? This country is doooomed :eek:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

Sarky wrote: »
    Might be because biology, at least as taught early on, is really just a body of knowledge. No real equations to let you work out problems like in physics or chemistry, just stuff to learn.

I can agree with that - did LC Physics, Chemistry & Biology. Although very interesting, I found Biology very tough exam-wise as it was mostly memorising stuff. (Apart from some of the genetics, which had a bit of very basic maths in it.)

I'm really glad I studied Biology - I was a totally hooked on nature as it was - but can see why the way it's taught in school could be be quite off-putting.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Geography counts as a science? This country is doooomed :eek:
    Was doomed years ago. Home Ec. = science...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

That'll be the "science" I took in LC. That and Geography....

Didn't exactly set me up for Earth & Life studies (Biology, Geography and Geology) - I would have needed to memorise 3yrs of Latin terminology to pass the Biology at all :o And yeah, I know.....excuses!

I got 0%. Have no patience for all that interim loading nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

swampgas wrote: »
    I can agree with that - did LC Physics, Chemistry & Biology. Although very interesting, I found Biology very tough exam-wise as it was mostly memorising stuff. (Apart from some of the genetics, which had a bit of very basic maths in it.)

I'm really glad I studied Biology - I was a totally hooked on nature as it was - but can see why the way it's taught in school could be be quite off-putting.

Yes, it's not taught very well at all in schools. No practicals, buggerall in the way of calculation or thought.

I was well into college before the fun bits showed up. Dissection, enzyme kinetics, PCR and gel electrophoresis... the sort of thing where you have to take data and work with it until a pretty graph or something comes out the other end. Didn't learn about the wonderful intricacies of DNA alignment algorithms and graph theory as it relates to the interactions between genes and proteins to create living things until well into my MSc.

Actually PCR is so commonplace now, it's just one of those things you get an undergrad to do so they can feel like a grownup doing real science :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

38/50 (some were guesses)

1 of them reminded me of a line from a Woddy Allen essay "If the mathematicians were artists":

"Hey, I've just met Icosceles...He's come up with a gret idea for a new triangle!"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ages and ages ago I made a post here on how Doctor Who is the most atheist friendly tv programme going.

This video doing the rounds explains my position...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gave up thirty questions in - got two wrong up to that point; the heaviest noble gas, and i misread one of the questions about force and mass.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

British Advertising Standards Authority looks into the "Society of Homeopaths" and doesn't much like what it sees:

http://www.casewatch.org/foreign/asa/homeopaths.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

12CrackHospital-LikeUsOnFacebook-FollowOnTwitter004_zps2f75d3fe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

To be fair there is a good deal of food science in it even for first years.

As most folks here know I have a really soft for the Space Shuttle.
    Cue awesome material science ceramics.

Jernal wrote: »
    As most folks here know I have a really soft for the Space Shuttle.
    Cue awesome material science ceramics.
    Are those the yokes that failed on Challenger?

Columbia.......

Not challenger. Nerd fail. :(

Are those the yokes that failed on Challenger?
    Columbia.......

Not challenger. Nerd fail. :(

Yep.
    The Thermal Protection System of the shuttle was breached during launch. A tiny piece of insulation foam on the external fuel tank fell down onto the shuttle's wing and smashed the tiles. The crew's fate was sealed. :(

It was the RCC leading edge not the tiles though??

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    It was the RCC leading edge not the tiles though??

Pedant.:p
    They're still tiles though. :p

Advertisement