Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theoretical Physics College Course, CTYI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

I second that. I only heard of CTYI when I got to college. Telling us about all those kinds of things was in the hands of our Careers Guidance Counsellor whose office was actually a desk under a stairs. Ah Penfold, how we loved you so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

third it, I only heard of it since I've been on boards. Was in college near two years before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i've only heard of CTYI on boards.... zwei vier zwei just has issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

No..it seems all the really active posters on the TCD forum are CTYI scummers...except me, and I'm rebelicious...

hrmm - interesting that rebelicious is also a shortword for banned - usually for being aggressive and insulting to people for no reason...treading on thin ice as of late Zwei, remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Yes sooon you shall feel the WRATH of his powa!

• Advertisement

Bye Kev. banned. back on topic. Ish. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Person who worked in CTYI who's screen-name I forget; can you tell me your name, I might know you from being in CTYI for the past six years.

Hi I'm Christine *waves* *realises how nerdy it is to pretend to wave across the internet, retracts previous wave*

I was an RA and a TA (Economics), then worked in CG01, then with the little kids and then CG01 again this year. About yay high, dark hair, glasses.

Fourthed, heard of it barely when I was younger but re-heard about it when I got to College.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Well I'd never heard of CTYI before I went to college but I suppose I'm very much part of it now. Was TA for two summers and have now taught classes at pretty much every level possible: 6-7, 8-12, 13-16, and correspondance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Well...it seems to me that there is a much greater proportion involved with CTYI here than one would find in the normal population...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Mmh, Trinity complex probably. Being the best etc.

But in reality in every college there is going to be a higher concentration of people with links to or knowledge of CTYI just due to the vary natures of college and CTYI. Also this is the internet, intellectuals with slight social akwardness are more commen on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

God, for the last time, Ctyi ISN'T, I repeat, ISN'T like school! Or filled with social retards anymore than any other institution! But back to Theoretical Physics if you please............

Btw, did Matt and Dave see this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

So Dave finished the PHD, fair play to him, whats his plan now? I did maths same year as him, but unlike Dave who put the work in, i was a lazy waster (which i would not advise you to be if you study TP)

And what the hell is CTYI?

Google it, or look for the fora here.

Dave smirked, then said no more :P and he's in Budapest for some unknown reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

God, for the last time, Ctyi ISN'T, I repeat, ISN'T like school! Or filled with social retards anymore than any other institution!

Eh Acid_Violet I went to CTYI, I didn't mean to piss you off with the post and nothing was said about it being like school. And there are slightly more socially awkard people than usual, or in my expierence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

nothing was said about it being like school.

I think that part might have been directed at me:
    shay_562 wrote:
    I spent my summers someplace that wasn't school!

And call me crazy but...sitting in a classroom learning sounds a lot like school to me. Yeah, it's a college classroom where you learn about stuff that's more interesting with people who are generally pretty sound (the single coolest person I know is a CTYI person, and apparently a demi-god there...?), but still, I much preferred spending my summers on a lake, enjoying air and sunshine and the like, learning about stuff that was actually interesting (how to get a motor boat license, but also meteorology and international shipping signals, surprisingly fun) with people who were pretty sound. I mean no offense by that, just saying how it looks to an uneducated outsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

crash_000 wrote:
    and he's in Budapest for some unknown reason

Doing mathsy stuff. As I understand it, it was pretty much a case of "yo, man, wanna come to Budapest for three months and bring your funky combinatorics skillz with ya?" Though possibly with different wording.
    shay_562 wrote:
    And call me crazy but...sitting in a classroom learning sounds a lot like school to me. Yeah, it's a college classroom where you learn about stuff that's more interesting with people who are generally pretty sound (the single coolest person I know is a CTYI person, and apparently a demi-god there...?), but still, I much preferred spending my summers on a lake, enjoying air and sunshine and the like, learning about stuff that was actually interesting (how to get a motor boat license, but also meteorology and international shipping signals, surprisingly fun) with people who were pretty sound. I mean no offense by that, just saying how it looks to an uneducated outsider.

So... it's all cool as long as it's an outdoors classroom? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

:) Pretty much. I like the outdoors.

Edit: That's why I said "no offense". I don't think there's anything wrong with CTYI exactly (though I do tend to call it "nerd camp" when I'm around people who went there, as it irritates them no end), but it's very much not my thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

shay_562 wrote:
    Edit: That's why I said "no offense". I don't think there's anything wrong with CTYI exactly (though I do tend to call it "nerd camp" when I'm around people who went there, as it irritates them no end), but it's very much not my thing.

But it IS nerd camp. That's the whole point! :D

• Advertisement

if ye only get an overview of the courses its not really a nerd camp is it? (can't be too nerdy if crash got to teach tp anyway...)

not teach, assist in teaching :) mainly I was in it for the discipline.

if ye only get an overview of the courses its not really a nerd camp is it?

I don't understand that sentence at all? if we got an overview of courses it's not nerd camp? huh?

&#231 wrote: »
    not teach, assist in teaching :) mainly I was in it for the discipline.
    righttt get a kick outa disipline'n the kiddies?
    I don't understand that sentence at all? if we got an overview of courses it's not nerd camp? huh?
    Overview of a course isn't nerdy, infact it think courses like that should be given to everyone on their CAO choices. If they i started on some of the work then it'd be nerdy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Desmoulins

Overview of a course isn't nerdy, infact it think courses like that should be given to everyone on their CAO choices. If they i started on some of the work then it'd be nerdy.

No, its pretty damn nerdy. Fun, but still.......and anywhere that has to ban RPGs has to have its share of social...ineptitude....

Desmoulins wrote:
    No, its pretty damn nerdy. Fun, but still.......and anywhere that has to ban RPGs has to have its share of social...ineptitude....
    most places ban games.....RPG's are flavour at the month atm anyway with the WoW phags everywhere......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Desmoulins

most places ban games.....RPG's are flavour at the month atm anyway with the WoW phags everywhere......

True....but whatever, it is most certainly Nerd Camp.....but definitely one of the best places to spend ones youth...*ambles over to CTYI forum- this isn't the best place for CTYI-love*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

CTYI is extra/summer school for smart people, pure and simple.
    (not that thats a bad thing)

CTYI is extra/summer school for smart people, pure and simple.
    (not that thats a bad thing)

Well,...."smart" is VERY subjective...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭notjim

So getting back to TP: those of you who did the course, what did you think was good about it and what was bad? What do you think should be changed? Should you have a freer choice in Sophister as to how much time you spend in Physics and how much in Maths. Would it be better if you were able to do your project in maths? For those of you who changed, do you think the course was badly explained to you before you signed up, is there simple changes that would have kept you in TP?

Just curious.

Advertisement