Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What odd things do you do in your sleep?

Options
  • 31-08-2006 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭

I was talking with some friends a while ago about this, and it seems like a lot of people do odd things in their sleep.

Me for example, I moan. (not complain, I mean actually moan like a zombie). As far as I can tell, on some occasions anyway, this is because for whatever reason, I sometimes dream that I am singing. But in the real world, it just comes out as a kind of "mmmmwwwaaaaaahhhhhh" noise thats surprisingly loud; particularly at 3am on a Sunday morning.

When I was a kid, I shared a room with my eldest brother, and his thing was to bang his head off the wall in his sleep. My parents used to lie in bed listening to a combination of me wailing with the odd thump of a skull hitting the wall. :)

An ex g/f of mine also didnt seem to be able to control her farts while asleep and, no exaggeratin, used to let about 100 a night. I found it funny, but she never let me make jokes about it. (for some reason)

So have people ever told you that you do unusual things in your sleep?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Apparently I used to sing Christmas carols in my sleep when I was younger - regardless of the time of year.

Sometimes, when my dad used to wake me up for school, I'd have a full blown conversation with him. My eyes would be open, I'll be chatting away but I will have absolutely no recollection of the conversation when I get up.
    My boyfriend does it too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I end up on the floor sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

as a kid i used to have horrible nightmares, about what you ask? I have no freaken idea. But for years id be shouting and screaming in my sleep basically going nuts. Id even be walking around. Drove the parents and brother absolutly mad. Dont know how they put up with it.

Looking back i find it hillarious, as does everyone else but at the time people must have thought i was crazy.

Apparently i would suddenly go really quiet and my eyes would fixate on something that wasnt there and then go into a mad panic. Really freaky stuff.

Thinking back i feel sorry for the neighbours. The walls were really thin and this happened 3-4 times a week for about 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

In my sleep i shout random words for example a few weeks back i woke up to my friends loking at me and giving out that i had been screaming bus in my sleep for the past half hour! i also sleepwalk occasionally! but only around my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

lol. thats funny. I can just imagine being in histerics looking at someone sleeping and shouting Bus, Buuuuuuus, bus bus bus. lol:D :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

mostly i mutter, depending on how knackered i am. i also toss and turn and kick the crap out of who ever is misfortunate enough to share a bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

I reckon my wife is the queen of doing weird stuff in her sleep.

1. Got up and wrote a list of stuff to buy for her family for Xmas, items included leather bound book, kamscardent??? and for her brother a book called "They know how to kill someone"
    2. When we used to smoke, she woke me up and spent 2 mins trying to pass me a cigarette that didn't exist.
    3. Regularly wakes up and slaps me cause she thinks I am someone from her dreams that was chasing her, or asks me who I am. Growled at me once too :rolleyes: thought she was a dog trying to chase away an intruder.
    4. Does the usual stuff like talking and muttering and asking me questions about the most weird stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The last few night I have woken up and I have turned my quilt 360 degrees so that the enterence is facing me. I can't figure out why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lizzy_beth

Oh I used to do the banging my head off the wall thing too! Used to drive my flatmate mad- shed be freaking out thinking she was gonna find me splattered all over the wall in the morning! Never hurt though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I always seem to wake up with something between my legs.

Yes,ha ha.

No,I mean,in my sleep I seem to stuff the covers betwwen my legs and clutch onto them like I'm hugging them,or have jumped into someone's arms and wrapped my legs around them.

Sometimes I do it with pillows too. It's weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Plenty of talking I've been told, kicking around on occasion also. :)

My boyfriend slapped me in his sleep a few times.

Might have been faking though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Save people from zombies, and avoid becomin one, same with vampires and werewolves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

My one happened again last night as well. Its starting to get a bit weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Apparently i would suddenly go really quiet and my eyes would fixate on something that wasnt there and then go into a mad panic. Really freaky stuff.

I apparently did that too as a kid. Frightened the life out of my poor mother!

These days, I often wake up completely cocooned in the duvet, or clinging on to it with both arms and legs as if I'm trying to climb up something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

LadyJ wrote:
    My boyfriend slapped me in his sleep a few times.

Might have been faking though!

LMFAO, I tend to roll over on top of her (I'm 6'5" and she's 5'9" :p)or my arms start swinging and she get's a clatter :p

Kenny 5 wrote:
    LMFAO, I tend to roll over on top of her (I'm 6'5" and she's 5'9" :p)or my arms start swinging and she get's a clatter :p

It's bloody sore! No joke!

I'm starting to think he subconsciously hates me! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I think Ive been scratching myself. I wake up with marks on my arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Got a few elbows to the side of the head last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

LadyJ wrote:
    It's bloody sore! No joke!

I'm starting to think he subconsciously hates me! :eek:

Yeah that's what my gf said too, she nearly went into the other room to sleep..........I was like sweet, my plan worked :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Crazy_marble

I've been told I talk about Saddam Hussein every so often in my sleep...hmmmm...

My boyfriend has been known to try and "put me out" when he was asleep (as I was apparently on fire) and every so often my mother would wake up screaming and push my father out of the bed because a giant mutant vine was coming out of the wall on his side of the bed to eat him...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Apart from the usual talking, giving out and stuff, my gf hit me right on my chest a few times, and it was bloody sore - never thought she was that strong to be honest - freaky!! :eek:

Also some nights I wake up and realise she's dreaming and I keep telling her to stop dreaming and she wakes up and wonders how did I get into her dream and asks her to stop dreaming! Because I know whats coming next ffs - a slap or something!!

I get back at her with a few kicks now and then - just to keep the balance! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gravitylovesme

appartenly i hold my breath in my sleep!

thats probably the most unusual one i have
    i also at various points in my life
    sleepwalked, including going for a pee... in the toilet fortunately.
    banged my head of the wall repeatedly
    sang
    had conversations with people...in irish

i cant think of anymore.

Ha,was falling asleep last night and I heard someone laughing....Turns out it was me!

Told the boyf about it this moring and he says I always laugh in my sleep. Weird...Funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭angelbaby

i have full blown conversations in my sleep. Used to share a room with my brother when I was young and in the middle of the night id wake him up and start talking to him about absolutely anything.
    My friends always take the p*ss out of me for it though because they can ask me anything when im asleep and il give them an honest answer to everything. Many secrets have slipped out because it!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭madhitchhiker

i don't really know if it's true but my partner would always make a joke abut my chewing when asleep.:mad: and i would counter him with the way he'd grit his teeth!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 amptypockets

i talk all the time in my sleep. ive done it my whole life, my mothers side of the family are notorious for it too.
    also my brother and i used to be really bad sleepwalkers when we were kids- my bro once was "flying" around his room, climbed on top of a wardrobe and jumped off. frightened the life out of my parents but luckily wasnt hurt too badly thank god!
    i havent sleepwalked for years but apparently the night before last i was looking in the drawers beside the bed for "the box" and i was doing it for ages, my boyfriend is a really light sleeper god love him and he had to drag me back into the bed once he figured out it was one of my nighttime escapades.
    anyone have any ideas why people talk in their sleep? i seem to be getting worse (louder!) and more intense over the last few weeks and have been getting more nightmares lately too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Great thread.

When I was younger I wandered downstairs and poured myself a glass of milk. The first thing my sister and her friends noticed was that when the glass was full I just stood there staring at it continuing to poor as it covered the counter.

anyone have any ideas why people talk in their sleep? i seem to be getting worse (louder!) and more intense over the last few weeks and have been getting more nightmares lately too.

Anything on your mind that you've been bottling up?

Sometimes people talk in their sleep because they've failed to express themselves enough during the day and need an outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 amptypockets

LadyJ wrote:
    Anything on your mind that you've been bottling up?

Sometimes people talk in their sleep because they've failed to express themselves enough during the day and need an outlet.

well im going to thailand next week for two months with my boyfriend so maybe its just all the excitement!

i have no idea what i sound like or anything, you were saying how you heard yourself laughing as you were falling asleep that would freak me out soo much

Advertisement