Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Revamp 2006

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

SyxPak wrote:
    On a slightly more serious note, we need a political satire.

Two things happen to political satire on RTÉ; it either fails miserably (Xit Poll/File) or it soars for a while and gets put down quietly (Scrap Saturday, Bull Island).

Xit File was an Irish port of The Daily Show but the talent was terrible; I'm sure they could do better if they wanted to but they didn't try at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Xit File was an Irish port of The Daily Show but the talent was terrible; I'm sure they could do better if they wanted to but they didn't try at all.

I liked the Xit File/Poll show by Colin Murphy. I thought that I was far more satirical then Bull Island which provide wonderful Impersonations but towards the end was using that too much to get laughs.

However I felt that Colin Murphy should only have written the show and let someone else present it. The skit about Bertie not making any sence was very funny.

The xit Poll was before the daily show AFAIK.

Apres Match have provide some great sactrical TV over the years, Including THE END.
    On a slightly more serious note, we need a political satire. Fup the logo and other fluffy concerns. RTÉ need to take the bull by the horns and deliver some more quality relevent content. Fair City is a piss-poor excuse for a soap when compared with the likes of Ideal on BBC3.
    They need to lose the duality of "modern cosmopolitan Dublin" and "twee Paddy & Gráinne".

So proud to be Irish. We just hate looking at ourselfs. IMO.

Is Ideal a soap? Would it not be considered a Drama? There is a difference.

Fair City is as good as Coro St. EastEnders and Emmers they are all sh1t.

Over the last few years RTE have provide some great dramas and also some terrible dramas

IMO Pure Mule, Love is the Drug, Batchelor's Walk, The Clinic, Fallout, No Tears, Stardust etc. were great

IMO The Choosen, The Last Furlong, Fergus' Wedding, etc were dreadful.

IMO I just don't get Kinnaskully, but I don't hate but I can see why people do and I don't love it and I can see why people do. It's just not for me but I find it watchable.

IMO Fair City is a soap and for that reason its **** just as **** as the british ones.

http://www.medialive.ie/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=97&Itemid=39

BOSTON PUBLIC 21:30 194,000 AVERAGE OF 2 WEEKS VIEWERS AGE = 15+

http://www.medialive.ie/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=96&Itemid=39

BOSTON PUBLIC 21:30 164,000 AVERAGE OF 3 WEEKS VIEWERS AGE = 15+

http://www.medialive.ie/Television/july-rev2002.html

THE PRACTICE 21:30 298,000 AVERAGE OF 3 WEEKS VIEWERS = 15+

both shows moved around the schedules to finish their series in the early hours of the morning.

Both shows finish their run two years ago a better example of this is with 24 which is currently going through RTE's back of the schedule practice.

Their are more example of where the practice was doing well during the summer months. Certainly Boston Public was a far more popular show.

Elmo wrote:
    I liked the Xit File/Poll show by Colin Murphy. I thought that I was far more satirical then Bull Island which provide wonderful Impersonations but towards the end was using that too much to get laughs.

However I felt that Colin Murphy should only have written the show and let someone else present it. The skit about Bertie not making any sence was very funny.

I never liked Bull Island, actually... just never got into it.
    I like Colin Murphy in his Blizzard role but I think he lacked something on Xit, he was seriously let down by the rest of the team which were generally rubbish... I agree that he has the writing skills, perhaps not the charisma that's needed for something like that.

The show was also let down by the audiences who seemed to be lost with the issues; I interviewed Colin for my college newspaper last year (the interview was actually in 2004) and he told me that the audience was often half-full, usually UCD students lured over by the offer of free booze and sometimes they had OAP's who didn't really get the humour at all.
    The xit Poll was before the daily show AFAIK.

Daily Show has been running since 1996, John Steward took over in '99... if I recall correctly Xit Poll was a short-run series aired around the 2002 election with Xit File coming afterwards (I suppose Xit Poll was a pilot of types).
    Apres Match have provide some great sactrical TV over the years, Including THE END.

True; I felt that they branched away from soccer more than ever in this years WC, would like to see them try and start a sketch show, or even take part in one (although they can be hit and miss sometimes).
    Did anyone else see BBC's Time Trumpet? One of the Apres Match lads was in it in a pisstake of Dragons Den.

The show was also let down by the audiences who seemed to be lost with the issues; I interviewed Colin for my college newspaper last year (the interview was actually in 2004) and he told me that the audience was often half-full, usually UCD students lured over by the offer of free booze and sometimes they had OAP's who didn't really get the humour at all.

I always felt that it was more a Nework/RTE TWO show and was badly scheduled before the west wing on RTE ONE. I mean RTE TWO have very little (none) current affairs.

The audience seemed very far way from Colin who was seem to be sitting in the biggest set they could get with the smallest audience.

• Advertisement

You might see what RTE News will look like in this promo from RTE for their new season

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2163866.smil

Elmo wrote:
    You might see what RTE News will look like in this promo from RTE for their new season

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2163866.smil

Sadly not; the segment they have focusing on their news and current affairs coverage just shows on location clips (and a promo they did a while back where the camera rotates around the reporter as the background changes etc.). Other than that they just show Prime Time Investigates and QandA clips etc.

Sadly not; the segment they have focusing on their news and current affairs coverage just shows on location clips (and a promo they did a while back where the camera rotates around the reporter as the background changes etc.). Other than that they just show Prime Time Investigates and QandA clips etc.

Go to the end of the News And Current Affairs segment there you will see a Brown and White RTE News logo.

Elmo wrote:
    Go to the end of the News And Current Affairs segment there you will see a Brown and White RTE News logo.

I see what you mean, yeah...

Interesting alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Elmo wrote:
    you will see a Brown and White RTE News logo.

What's the brown thing?

A Ship? A Harp? A Violin?

I really really really really really really really really hope that's not the next RTE News logo.

• Advertisement

Back to the DTT Channels, I think RTE should simply open 1 more channel.

It could be a news/information channel, broadcasting 15/20 minutes of news at the top of the hour, a breakfast show that could be simulcast on RTE1, Live Oireachtas coverage, and current affairs shows like Prime Time and Nationwide. If they were really stuck to fill time, they could create "Information Pages", like the ones shown on S4C's welsh digital channels in the mornings. They would simply consist of news stories typed onto slides with music played in the background.

On my indoor aerial, I get RTE1, 2 and TG4, and most of the time there's nothing good on any of them! So why make a total of 6 or 7 channels when they'll all be the same?

On my indoor aerial, I get RTE1, 2 and TG4, and most of the time there's nothing good on any of them! So why make a total of 6 or 7 channels when they'll all be the same?

You should also get TV3.

I don't beleive that there's nothing good on any of them most of the time.

I think it depends on what your looking for. I think RTE 1, 2, TV3 and TG4 have very little programming on during the weekends worth watching surely their is a market out their for Early Afternoon Programmes.

But then currently there are very few shows worth watching on the TV at the moment.

I have point out that RTE have very many shows that they choose not to show during prime time which would provide more choice during prime time for those of us who don't particulary want to watch whats on RTE 1, 2, TV3 and TG4.

Law and Order: CI is now on at 11:30 on friday nights what kind of scheduling is that. It did well on RTE TWO in prime time, :confused: ?????????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Elmo wrote:
    You should also get TV3.

Not always the case, Elmo. TV3 is not available from smaller transposers around the country. Its only really on the main transmitters and some large transposers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it on ANY transposers? I thought it was still exclusive the domain of the ten main sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Woodcock Hill and Spur Hill, were, and maybe still are, classed as a transposer.

I don't really think I'm missing that much anyway tbh

If you have ITV no ur not missing much but then you wouldn't be missing much if you hadn't either ITV or TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Elmo wrote:
    but then you wouldn't be missing much if you hadn't either ITV or TV3.

what about The Bill :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mossy Monk wrote:
    what about The Bill :D

Watch it in three to five years on RTE. Sorted ;)

what about The Bill

Mossy either you think The Bill is just the best cop drama around or you are being sarcastic either way this obsession with the Bill is unhealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

there is no sarcasm at all. just a fan of the show. kind of good though that RTÉ are showing the older episodes

DMC wrote:
    Woodcock Hill and Spur Hill, were, and maybe still are, classed as a transposer.
    Spur Hill has been classed as a main transmitter for a while now (UHF only) and carries TV3 as a result. The only transposers which carry it are Collins Barracks (46V) and Woodcock Hill (45H).

The Sunday Tribune today says that the new RTE News studio will be launched at 1pm tomorrow (aug 28). The picture doesn't show much of the studio, but presenters will have laptops and there will be a red/brown/silver colour scheme.

I think the whole LED thing refers to lighting, not a news wall. They say that the studio lighting will be different for each bulletin.

At least it's better than the old one. And the new titles actually have something to them.

But it's a lot like BBC 4's "The World"...

Loads of people on the TV Forum think that that desk was stolen from Central TV in the UK and painted...

the laptop looks stupid on the desk

The into music is very sterotypically newsy, I am suprised that the don't have a booming voice over

"Your watching RTE News Live from the RTE News in Donnybrook Dublin 4 with Una O' Hagan and Brian Dobson..... It's six one."

It is alright, a big improvment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Phen

Elmo wrote:
    the laptop looks stupid on the desk

The into music is very sterotypically newsy, I am suprised that the don't have a booming voice over

"Your watching RTE News Live from the RTE News in Donnybrook Dublin 4 with Una O' Hagan and Brian Dobson..... It's six one."

It is alright, a big improvment.
    :D LOL Elmo!

But yes they do have 'RTÉ' plastered all over the new look don't they? They have it at the start of the titles ie: RTÉ NEWS AND CURRENT AFFAIRS and then at the end of the titles and then on their DOG all the way through and then the in-your-face RTÉ endboard at the end of the bulletin. They don't give you a chance to forget that you're watching RTÉ do they? And I certainly hope that the voice at the start of the 6.01 doesn't return when they're back to full length next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greenfire

I went to the auditions for the new RTE idents due at the start of september. They were done by RedBee in An Spideal. If the auditions are anything to go by, the new idents will be scenes including a seamstress working at a dress, a man greeting a friend in the pub, a hill walker washing his face in a stream, a cave explorer emerging into a cavern amongst others. God, those auditions were embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭seamus21514

Typical Red Bee crap......

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:

They only used that for Six One and I bet it will return on Monday when Dobbo is back and Six One is back to one hour.

Actually it was "It's Six One. <long silence, headline bed starts> RTE News <long silence> with <long silence> Bryan Dobson <long silence> and <VERY long silence> Sharon Ni Bheolain."

Advertisement