Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Revamp 2006

Options
  • 25-07-2006 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Does anybody know anything about it? It will be done by Red Bee Media.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

rebranding time again?

i like how RTE One looks at the moment
    not too fond of RTÉ Two though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,077 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Same old ****, think you very much. Hardly worth starting a thread over.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

they siad they were going to redo the website, as in put effort into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭FREEBBC

Does anybody know anything about it? It will be done by Red Bee Media.
    Red Bee media is the BBC company:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

FREEBBC wrote:
    Red Bee media is the BBC company:)

Was; they sold it last year and now it's an independent company.

Wikipedia
    Red Bee Media was formerly BBC Broadcast Limited. BBC Broadcast was created by the BBC in 2002, by placing a range of BBC channel creation and channel management services under one roof, as part of an agreement with the British Government to create a commercial division that could supplement the BBC licence fee income, thus keeping the licence fee increases down in the future. The other entities within the commercial division were BBC Worldwide, BBC Resources and BBC Technology.

On 1 August 2005, BBC Broadcast, together with its subsidiaries, was sold for GBP 166 million to Creative Broadcast Services Limited, a company specifically set up for the purchase which is jointly owned by Australian-based Macquarie Capital Alliance Group and Macquarie Bank Limited. As a consequence of the sale, the company was renamed "Red Bee Media" on 27th October 2005. Shortly after, Red Bee bought Broadcasting Data Services ("BDS") from BBC Worldwide thus strengthening their EPG and programme metadata offering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Same old ****, think you very much. Hardly worth starting a thread over.

did someone have a gun to your head when you made your reply? if you have nothing to say then dont bother

• Registered Users Posts: 33,077 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, but I did say something.... Look closely

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Phen

I remember Marty Whelan said something about a new RTÉ logo on his radio show a good while back but I doubt they'll get rid of their logo - they have built up a successful branding image with it so it's not time for it to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭seamus21514

That would be stupid, because the logo is fine. If there would be a new logo I'm sure we'd get something like this:
    rtervxn3.jpg:( :mad:

Well, I hope the news revamp will be actully good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

That would be more like something TV3 would have! Good though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

flogen wrote:
    Was; they sold it last year and now it's an independent company.

Wikipedia

tsk wow that was nicely hadnled privatisation!

That would be more like something TV3 would have! Good though!

That was sarcastic. That is ITV 1's ident. Red bee did that. It is bland and uninspired. Red Bee is doing rte's ident's and news set, and with the possibility of a new logo, it would be bland like that. The current logo is fine though, especially with the styleized fada.

I think the RTÉ logo is fine; it's simple, clear and not too stuffy or fancy... given that they want to have brand uniformity across the channels and that RTÉ Two has only rebranded rather recently I doubt they will change the logo, however. The rebrand is for RTÉ One only and while the site is also being done up I doubt there'd be major changes in that regard.

I'd place my bets on a complete brand overhaul when they launch additional Digital TV services at the earliest, which is probably at least 2 years away.

Well, the part I'm looking forward to most is the new news set next month. I hope they actually put effort in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think the RTÉ logo is fine; it's simple, clear and not too stuffy or fancy... given that they want to have brand uniformity across the channels and that RTÉ Two has only rebranded rather recently I doubt they will change the logo, however. The rebrand is for RTÉ One only and while the site is also being done up I doubt there'd be major changes in that regard.

I find the current branding of RTE boring and uninspired. RTE TWO's current GREEN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Idents are highly unimagintive, unlike the last Second channel rebrand of N2.

They need something like the Channel 4 Idents.

BBC2 needs a revamp IMO as does BBC1.
    That was sarcastic. That is ITV 1's ident. Red bee did that. It is bland and uninspired. Red Bee is doing rte's ident's and news set, and with the possibility of a new logo, it would be bland like that. The current logo is fine though, especially with the styleized fada.

I don't think they plan a rebrand of RTÉ that would be DAFT after spending the last two years placing RTÉ in front of all of their TV Channels and Radio Stations, and other companies. Thank god TG4 were saved from such an uninspiring rebrand.

Well with the logo I was refering to phen's post.

Elmo wrote:
    I find the current branding of RTE boring and uninspired. RTE TWO's current GREEN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Idents are highly unimagintive, unlike the last Second channel rebrand of N2.

They need something like the Channel 4 Idents.

BBC2 needs a revamp IMO as does BBC1.

Yeah, but the actual RTÉ logo won't change (as you point out)
    I don't think they plan a rebrand of RTÉ that would be DAFT after spending the last two years placing RTÉ in front of all of their TV Channels and Radio Stations, and other companies. Thank god TG4 were saved from such an uninspiring rebrand.

I'd say it would have been subjected to such only for the slight potential of it going independent in the near future (whatever small chance that is); they'd rather not rebrand it as RTÉ TG4 only for the station to have to rebrand back to TG4 in a few years time... that would make it TnaG -> TG4 -> RTÉ TG4 -> TG4 :D

Well if they were to rebrand tg4 as rte, it would be rte cathair.

Well if they were to rebrand tg4 as rte, it would be rte cathair.

What happened to RTÉ Trí? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No TG4 is by legislation due to leave the RTE stable. It can't be rebranded RTE anything.

Though TV3 is the fouth channel and TG4 the third. An accident of Irish commerce.

• Advertisement

I know, but i was say hypothetically, if it was to be branded as an RTE channel.

flogen wrote:
    What happened to RTÉ Trí? :D
    good point...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Rather than spending money on Logos, branding and american junk I weish they would pay for some locally produced imaginative TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What happened to RTÉ Trí?

that would be RTÉ á Trí

Well since much of what TG4 do is fairly independent it wouldn't be in their interest to be considered RTÉ.

They are in an temp set!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

RTE? I purposefully don't watch it anymore. TG4 was a mistake, and shouldn't have been aired, the right thing to do would have been to create a sports channel instead of interrupting saturdays and sundays with sport on both RTE1 and RTE2 at the same time.

And don't get me started on the line up of programmes they still have!

RTE - Programming from 10 years ago trying to cut it today ...

The lighting in the tempp set is very dodgy, and there are no wide shots. Otherwise, the average guy probaly don't know that it is a temp news set.

also, when I"m at home, I watch tg4, more so than tv3. I think tg4 was a good idea cause i can speak it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can some arrange a txtspeek to Ireland translator please?

I didn't use text speak.

• Advertisement

Some caps courtsey of Phen of TVF:
    4_copy1.jpg
    1_copy7.jpg
    2_copy4.jpg

It's darker, no plasma, and I must say, If it had better lighting, it would look way better than the (as I'm happy to say now) "old" set. Looks way more spacious.

Advertisement