Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

watsgone wrote:
    Any news on the Groups setup for the MultiText?
    I'm working on it and will hopefully have something out for it soon.

If you have any thoughts on how you would like it implemented with the GUI please let me know over at www.randomprojects.eu/forum

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

have you tried the MIDP1 version?

http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/midp1/aft.jar

should work, and yes the jad is only 1kb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

donutface wrote:
    have you tried the MIDP1 version?

should work, and yes the jad is only 1kb

Nah still the same error :(
    Is there any kind of consolidated tutorial or FAQ on how to get this going or is it a matter of just trawling back through this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Nah still the same error :(
    Is there any kind of consolidated tutorial or FAQ on how to get this going or is it a matter of just trawling back through this thread?

I think it is less to do with with the aft application itself and more to do with how apps are download to the Samsung D600

I googled "D600" and "Unsupported File Format" and got this:
    http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?i=121031&thread=54

It seems that you can't install games/apps via bluetooth on a D600. Have you tried downloading the jar/jad by typing the killarneyonline.... url directly into your phone?

dal wrote:
    I think it is less to do with with the aft application itself and more to do with how apps are download to the Samsung D600

I googled "D600" and "Unsupported File Format" and got this:
    http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?i=121031&thread=54

It seems that you can't install games/apps via bluetooth on a D600. Have you tried downloading the jar/jad by typing the killarneyonline.... url directly into your phone?

Ok got GPRS working and tried to go to url
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar and

Both simply give an error message saying "Not supported content"
    I can connect to google.ie fine
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement

dal wrote:

Ok I'm getting there now I think. The .jad link worked and I installed the aft.
    Problem now is everytime I go to send a txt it just says "Theres was a problem sending your message"?

Hmmm tried sending a text the normal way on the website and got a bad gateway error(Typical o2.ie :rolleyes: ). So it seems like its down for the moment, is it working for anyone else?

edit: o2.ie seems to be working again but I'm still getting the error "Theres was a problem sending your message" when I try to send?

what you can do to test is set your provider to vodafone (doesnt matter what the username and password is), and text HELLO to 123

It should return that you have -5 messages left, if it doesnt then it is because you havent activated the ISP access point yet

http://sms.donutsoft.net/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Networks.O2

Read that to find out how to activate your ISP access point
    http://aft.donutsoft.net is a wiki where all the info is posted. easier than going through this thread

Ok spent most of the day trying to get this to work but still nothing. I rang O2 and they said my phone was setup for the internet APN fine. I can connect to 02.ie fine and also google.ie.

Tried texting HELLO to 123 after selecting Vodafone as my provider and still getting the error message "Theres was a problem sending your message".

My GPRS settings are as follows

DNS 1: 62.40.32.33
    DNS 2: 62.40.32.33
    APN: pp.internet
    Home URL: blank
    Bearer: GPRS Only
    Proxy: Disabled
    Login ID: GPRS
    Password: GPRS

I presume the username and password on the aft setting pages is supposed to your phone number and password for the o2 website?
    Maybe my the Samsung D600 just can't do it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

@youcancallme>al
    You're trying to text to the number "123"? This would be why Vodafone won't send it. Of course, if you've just typed 123 for the purpose of your post then ignore this theory.

And eh .. you're using O2 login details so you should choose O2 as your provider and enter your O2 WEBSITE USERNAME (your phone number) and O2 WEBSITE PASSWORD.

You should have your APN set to pp.internet for prepay and internet for postpay, and the rest on automatic - this is what's worked for me anyway.

ciaranfo wrote:
    @youcancallme>al
    You're trying to text to the number "123"? This would be why Vodafone won't send it. Of course, if you've just typed 123 for the purpose of your post then ignore this theory.

And eh .. you're using O2 login details so you should choose O2 as your provider and enter your O2 WEBSITE USERNAME (your phone number) and O2 WEBSITE PASSWORD.

You should have your APN set to pp.internet for prepay and internet for postpay, and the rest on automatic - this is what's worked for me anyway.

I was just following the instructions donutface posted above, doesnt make much sense to me either? Maybe he thought I was with Vodafone. Anyway when your sending to a number do you just type 08x xxxxxxx or do put in +003538x xxxxxxx. I tried both ways and neither worked. Also whats the story with the question do you want to send http information just before sending a text?

ciaranfo wrote:
    @youcancallme>al

No, no. Donut has a special feature set up in his gateway which just tests whether the connection is working or not. To test your connection you choose vodafone for your account text the phone number "123" (doesn't matter what the text is).
    If "-5" comes back in the message on the screen then it means that your connection is working properly. THEN you change your login details to o2.

I will integrate a connection test into aft as soon as I can, because the above method might be confusing for some.

>> youcancallme>al
    Your problem is nothing to do with AFT per se. ANY application that you install would have this problem because your connection settings aren't correct.

On my phone I have the proxy enabled and it is set to:
    port number 8080
    username and password blank

dal wrote:
    On my phone I have the proxy enabled and it is set to:
    port number 8080
    username and password blank

Tried these settings and I couldn't connect to anything :(
    So annoyed now I really want to get this to work :confused:

edit: Just thinking now when I rang o2 data support I asked them to activate the Internet APN, not the GPRS one like it says on the wiki. The woman on the phone just sounded confused and said they are the same thing? I asked her to send out the settings but then she just sent the WAP GPRS settings with the APN of pp.wap.o2.ie (Which I didnt install).
    Should I ring them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

hey guys, got the aft file but when i go to send a message, the screen goes blank and have to exit program and then my whole phone freezes. am on vodafone and have a motorola L7. any ideas? cos am excitied bout getting this app working. cheers

bigslick wrote:
    hey guys, got the aft file but when i go to send a message, the screen goes blank and have to exit program and then my whole phone freezes. am on vodafone and have a motorola L7. any ideas? cos am excitied bout getting this app working. cheers

This is a known issue on motorola phones
    There are options "flash after send" and "vibrate after send" in the settings of aft. Untick these two and you should be ok.

Edit: actually I can't remember if you need to untick both, or whether its just "vibrate after send" or just "flash after send". Anyway, test this out.

ring up o2 data support again, tell them you want to hook up your laptop to your phone to surf the internet and that you need the pp.internet APN

It is different to the WAP GPRS one, as its not WAP. Most of them will know what your talking about, o2 is very good in that sense, if they dont know ask for a supervisor. Be sure to ask them to send you the PP.Internet settings too (if your on prepaid)

@dal- cheers for that, tried it but it just says the message could not be sent

@donutface- im on vodafone. should i still do this?

cheers

bigslick, if you havent rung vodafone about the ISP access point youll need to ring up customer care, tell them you want to hook up a laptop to your phone and if they can activate the ISP GPRS access point (Not the GPRS WAP) and send you the settings.

Unfortunately their phone number isnt on the wiki, but if anyone has any idea what the number is please post it and i'll update the wiki accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 30,125 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm getting the same sort of thing as youcancallme>al, was talking to the data support about activating pp.internet for using the phone with a laptop, and was told that internet access was activated on the account and nothing should be stopping internet access from working, opera mini seems okay, but the hello to 123 on vodafone isnt working so i guess i should call data support again

• Advertisement

eolhc wrote:
    I'm getting the same sort of thing as youcancallme>al, was talking to the data support about activating pp.internet for using the phone with a laptop, and was told that internet access was activated on the account and nothing should be stopping internet access from working, opera mini seems okay, but the hello to 123 on vodafone isnt working so i guess i should call data support again

If opera mini works on the phone (I take it you have actually loaded a webpage from with opera?) then there is no reason at all that AFT shouldn't work.
    Don't bother calling data support again as they won't be able to do anything more. Check the specific application options for aft on your phone to see if there is any configuration which might enable/disable web access for aft.
    Also, what phone do you have?

bigslick wrote:
    @dal- cheers for that, tried it but it just says the message could not be sent

@donutface- im on vodafone. should i still do this?

cheers

Try to download your settings from here:
    www.hellomoto.com

dal wrote:
    If opera mini works on the phone (I take it you have actually loaded a webpage from with opera?) then there is no reason at all that AFT shouldn't work.
    Don't bother calling data support again as they won't be able to do anything more. Check the specific application options for aft on your phone to see if there is any configuration which might enable/disable web access for aft.
    Also, what phone do you have?

I have the se k800

Opera mini can load www.boards.ie homepage, and passes the connection test, so that should mean the connection settings are okay. I tried the MIDP 1.0 version to see if there was a differance, i did get "you have ERROR messages left" for a change, sending hello to 1234. But everything else give "problem sending message".

Can't find any options that might be blocking aft, the gprs icon comes up to so it opening the connection, would trying a different sim card be any good, or is there anything you can think of that would stop aft from working

eolhc wrote:
    I have the se k800

Opera mini can load www.boards.ie homepage, and passes the connection test, so that should mean the connection settings are okay. I tried the MIDP 1.0 version to see if there was a differance, i did get "you have ERROR messages left" for a change, sending hello to 1234. But everything else give "problem sending message".

Can't find any options that might be blocking aft, the gprs icon comes up to so it opening the connection, would trying a different sim card be any good, or is there anything you can think of that would stop aft from working

Completely delete and re-install AFT. Don't bother with the midp 1.0 version cos the 2.0 version should work on your phone.
    Now enter your username and password. This should work for you.
    Are you sure that you are using the same username and password that you are using when you send texts normally?

(BTW, you are supposed to text "123" for the connection test and not "1234")

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

Great work thanks!

dal wrote:
    Completely delete and re-install AFT. Don't bother with the midp 1.0 version cos the 2.0 version should work on your phone.
    Now enter your username and password. This should work for you.
    Are you sure that you are using the same username and password that you are using when you send texts normally?

(BTW, you are supposed to text "123" for the connection test and not "1234")

deleted aft, reinstalled the normal one, entered my o2 number for username 086xxxxxxx and my password for logging in to o2 site, selected o2 as network, but still the same, "there was a problem sending your message

texting to "123" on the vodafone network setting still not giving any result either, so for some reason the connections not working for aft, using other software there doesnt seem to be any issue with the internet connection, opera gives a positive for the connection test

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

I just installed this on my 6680 and was wondering if the person you are sending text to has to be using AFT as well :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Mad Dog wrote:
    I just installed this on my 6680 and was wondering if the person you are sending text to has to be using AFT as well :confused:
    no

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Thanks it's sorted now, had wrong username in it :o

• Advertisement

hey guys, phoned vodafone customer care and they said something about a connector card and a cd which the stuff i need is on. any ideas? cos aint very good at phone settings/connectivity. cheers

Advertisement