Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What amp?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Go for a screamer, screw the Line-6. Fireball would be nice, but maybe a little expensive.
    And 60w? man, these things rip your head off. I can't even put my thunder about 4-5 and my drummer is a mofo for heavy handedness. Tubes usually destroy any solid state you'll use watt for watt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have a 50W combo, and I assure you, if I turned the fecker up, the drummer wouldn't be able to hear himself. It's more than loud enough for anywhere in this country tbh. If I want to kill things, I'll add a 4x12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

gizmo wrote:
    One more thing gents, going judging by my complete inabilty to play in a stuff off the cuff in a music store environment I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting some suggested settings for your Fireball and Thunder so I can play my usual riffs.

Tones I'll be looking for will be heavy metalcore ala Killswitch Enage, Shadows Fall and Lamb Of God, hard modern rock ala Alter Bridge/Mark Tremonti and some other stuff by the likes of Children Of Bodom, As I Lay Dying and 3 Inches Of Blood. Also if you have any idea how to pull off a nice Starry Night tone by Satriani it'd be greatly appreciated too. :)

Well I'll give you my settings for the Fireball, which should work for the heavy stuff.

Gain - 6
    Bass - 4
    Mids - 9
    Treble - 8
    Prescence - 3
    Both Bright & Depth switches off.

You might try turning down the gain for some of the more relaxed stuff then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Just making sure. I use a 100watt head trhough a oversize 4x12 cab and granted I dotn turn it all the way up, it gets turned up enough that I worried 60 watt wouldnt cut it. But it is solid state and as someone above said, tubes are louder appearently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

!_Brian_! wrote:
    Just making sure. I use a 100watt head trhough a oversize 4x12 cab and granted I dotn turn it all the way up, it gets turned up enough that I worried 60 watt wouldnt cut it. But it is solid state and as someone above said, tubes are louder appearently.

You really can't compare solid state to tube. If you got a 30 watt tube amp, it would easily drown out a 100 watt solid state amp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement