Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Dublin Sentiment

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Well if people think that Dublin left the game behind, they are insulting the game and all the players, it was a magnificent battle and could of went either way.

At the end of the day i think people are under an illusion that Dublin are really that good, they are a fine side but lack the natural talent of some other teams.
    Maybe Dublin lost because Mayo were the better team?? shock horror!!
    Mayo were the better team for most of the game (well maybe iam a bit bias) and played some excellent football and got some exquisit scores

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

MGrah wrote:
    Not really bitter (maybe a little) but this is mostly my point. Mayo got their first, fair play to them, but to suggest that they expected the Dubs to go to the canal end is silly. Every person in Croke Park knew exactly what would happen. The response of the crowd, and the anticipation of Dublin coming out told you that. I was in the Cusack at the canal end and saw Paddy Russel walking out, his head dropped when he saw the Mayo team. Even he knew. I wouldn't say Dublin dissrespected Mayo particularly by going to the hill end, they needed the psychology of defying Mayo's stance as much as Mayo's stance was important to them, and a good psychological move.

I think Dublin and Caffrey embarrased themselves a bit by going down there.
    I thought they could of used that as motivation to show Mayo whos boss, if they acted a bit more professional and concentrated on the game and let Mayo do there thing below, rise above it and show people it would take alot more than that to disrupt them.
    If Dublin ignored it and got off to a good start, it would of been Mayo that would of been embarrased
    I get your point though

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

Well if people think that Dublin left the game behind, they are insulting the game and all the players, it was a magnificent battle and could of went either way.

At the end of the day i think people are under an illusion that Dublin are really that good, they are a fine side but lack the natural talent of some other teams.
    Maybe Dublin lost because Mayo were the better team?? shock horror!!
    Mayo were the better team for most of the game (well maybe iam a bit bias) and played some excellent football and got some exquisit scores

Carcharodon I think you're taking me up the wrong way here. I don't wish to insult Mayo/Dublin players. It was an incredible game. My point is more aimed at the reaction of Mayo/media people in only looking at one side of it. Perhaps Mayo are a better team, perhaps they're not. The fact is that Dublin had the game in their own hands and let it slip. That's the point. I don't mean to say that Dublin wiped the floor with Mayo and we're unluckly to lose. Mayo made one of the greatest come backs that I've ever been priveleged to witness. However from a Dublin perspective we certainly left it behind. Memories of Tyrone (drawn game) last year (and tyrone were definitely the better side), and Kildare in the Leinster final a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

MGrah wrote:
    You mentioned that Dublin dominated 11 minutes of the game? and asked was I watching. I was, although in the game I watched, the Dubs outscored Mayo by 2-11 to 0-6 between the 18th and 46thish minutes.

Exactly, absolutely 100%, in 1 sentence you have captured the whole context of my argument, and why I think it's pretty unfair to say 'Dublin left that game behind them'

Think what happened in the 18th Minute? ... and when did David Brady come on to replaced a concussed midfielder?

Dublin got back into the game, because their forwards could start receiving ball, because they started winning midfield because they 'took out' McGarrity.

If you choose, and more importantly the Dublin management choose to ignore that fact, then you can't properly address one of very few shortfalls in the Dublin team.

Triumphalism? .... not me, been kicked in the ass too many times over last 10 years.

Realism .... Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

Culchie wrote:
    Exactly, absolutely 100%, in 1 sentence you have captured the whole context of my argument, and why I think it's pretty unfair to say 'Dublin left that game behind them'

Think what happened in the 18th Minute? ... and when did David Brady come on to replaced a concussed midfielder?

Dublin got back into the game, because their forwards could start receiving ball, because they started winning midfield because they 'took out' McGarrity.

If you choose, and more importantly the Dublin management choose to ignore that fact, then you can't properly address one of very few shortfalls in the Dublin team.

Triumphalism? .... not me, been kicked in the ass too many times over last 10 years.

Realism .... Yes.

I'd say you're right and wrong. McGarrity was outperforming whelan, no doubt about that, I'd say Ryan was next on the list of midfielders at that stage. Mayo were on top though. At the time (can't believe I'm about to defend Paddy Russell!) I though that Whelan had just caught McGarrity a bit late (didn't have the best view) but afterwards on TSG I think he jumped genuinely enough, saw the opportunity to do some damage and took it. (just my opinion, alledgedly, without prejudice etc). However there's some harsh language that people should be careful using, Matt Cooper last night used the words 'attacked' and 'assaulted' which I think is a bit strong.
    I don't think you can realistically say that Whelan went through the process of deciding to take McGarrity out, any more than the All Blacks decided to take BOD out in the dressing room before the Lions game. I think it was a case of a player losing the head when an opportunity presented itself. Whelan in my opinion is prone to this, and it's one of his major short comings. Why he seems to get away with it, I don't know.
    I hadn't menioned the Whelan incident before, hadn't meant to ignore it though.
    Either way, I don't think it influences whether my comment that Dublin left the game behind them. Whether it happened or not, whether he meant it or not, Dublin were coasting 10 mins into the second half, and started to believe the game was over. With a little more savvy they could have shut the game down. Wouldn't have done anything for the spectacle, but I'd say we'd be hearing an awful lot more about CW if they had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'm a Dub (a real Dub from 'de nortsoide') and I'm married to a Mayo woman. I had most of the in-laws pass through my place on Saturday and Sunday on the way to the match and by the way they were on edge, you'd think their lives were on the line. It meant everything in the world to them to beat Dublin, now to be clear not one of them mentioned winning the All Ireland, they just wanted to beat Dublin.

My wife, who never ever watches a game, was on the edge of her seat for the whole match. Even the poor kids were ignored for the game while she screamed at the box. In the end, she was dancing a jig around the room with the biggest grin on her face I've ever seen. Triumphalism isn't strong enough a word for it. To make it worse, most of the in-laws took a detour on their way home to make sure I knew the result. From the cheesy grins on their faces, you'd think the EU had doubled all their farm grants.

Dublin losing the game isn't the end of the world for me (although it would have been nice if they won) but the reaction from my wife and in-laws proves that beating Dublin is the be all and end all for the culchies.

At least my kids are ignoring the wife now as they are proud to be Dubs and they keep telling me that we should send mammy back to Mayo with all the other culchies. Now I wonder where they got that from???:D :D:D

I'm a Dub (a real Dub from 'de nortsoide') and I'm married to a Mayo woman. I had most of the in-laws pass through my place on Saturday and Sunday on the way to the match and by the way they were on edge, you'd think their lives were on the line. It meant everything in the world to them to beat Dublin, now to be clear not one of them mentioned winning the All Ireland, they just wanted to beat Dublin.

My wife, who never ever watches a game, was on the edge of her seat for the whole match. Even the poor kids were ignored for the game while she screamed at the box. In the end, she was dancing a jig around the room with the biggest grin on her face I've ever seen. Triumphalism isn't strong enough a word for it. To make it worse, most of the in-laws took a detour on their way home to make sure I knew the result. From the cheesy grins on their faces, you'd think the EU had doubled all their farm grants.

Dublin losing the game isn't the end of the world for me (although it would have been nice if they won) but the reaction from my wife and in-laws proves that beating Dublin is the be all and end all for the culchies.

At least my kids are ignoring the wife now as they are proud to be Dubs and they keep telling me that we should send mammy back to Mayo with all the other culchies. Now I wonder where they got that from???:D :D:D

Sure, everyone wants to beat Dublin in their own back yard, we never denied that ... but that's a big difference to be Anti - Dublin.

The Dubs only went up in my estimation after Sunday, they were great....the team and their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Good post Dave, and in part fully true.
    However the reasons for mayo wanting to beat Dublin may not seem so apparent.
    The reason that Mayo wanted to beat Dublin so badly was because what has been said about this Mayo team in the, largely biased, Dublin media, and the attidude of may Dublin fans and pundits, that Dublin just needed to turn up to get into the final against Kerry.
    I myself was at best "hopeful" that we could get the win but I really wanted them to win to shut up the media and put the Dubs back in their box for another year (being honest)
    When we play Kerry, we will want to beat Kerry and nothing else, I will be hopeful that we can beat them and at last make up for all those times of losing out to them. One game at a time, thats how you psych yourself up for these matches. Maybe if Dublin took the same stance, and didnt look forward as much to the Kerry match, they might have beaten Mayo-they were perhaps too much focused on Kerry.

At the end of the day, a great match seperated by the smallest of margins which could have gone the other way on a different day.
    Again, if Mayo dont beat Kerry, Mayo people wont speak too much about the Dublin match as it will have meant very little.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

BigKay wrote:
    but is it just me or does the whole country cheer against Dublin no matter who their playing?

Thats not true at all - its only when they're not playing Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Despite what "Culchie" says, my Wife and In Laws are anti Dublin. They never stop bitching about how Dublin has everything, i.e. all the good roads (we call them carparks, M50, N4 etc), the hospitals (would you go to A & E?), the shops (we like getting ripped off). While from my perspective, they have the 3,000 sq ft houses on an acre that they built for €300k - wouldn't buy you a one bed apartment up here, and they all have 06 MO cars. I won't mention that they all have 2 or 3 properties rented out, or their farming / b & b / garden furniture businesses in addition to their day jobs etc but I digress. They do not like Dublin, full bloody stop. I know it for a fact as I'm married into them.

Never mind the hype in the papers, most sensible people can see past that rubbish. Its what takes place on the pitch that matters as we Dubs know. However, the Mayo people, and the culchies (Offaly, Galway, Cork, Tipperary) I work with are ecstatic that Dublin lost.

Dublin should have won the game but through a combination of cockiness on Dublin's part when in the lead, to a fantastic Mayo come back, this game of the year, if not living memory, was won by the better team. Forget about the bull**** in the papers beforehand, forget about the gamesmanship during the warm up, this was a game of 70 minutes fought to the bitter end. Fair play to the Dubs, you did us proud and best of luck to Mayo in the final (although I'll never admit that to the wife or in-laws :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hursting

As a mayo man and an avid Mayo supporter I have to defend the dubs. I think people have lost the big picture. In Sundays game there were 30 free kicks. This is unheard of in a game of that intensity. True whelan made a bad tackle but it was more mis timed than anything else. As for the caffrey incident i for one think it was brilliant. He showed his emotions and battled psychologically for his turf nothing wrong there. Also comments related to players after games should be taken with a huge pinch of salt as the players tend to be very emotional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TallGirl

Ladies and Gentlemen..... the fan-tab-u-lous Mr. Kieran McDonald...
    We love you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G_AooNRsx4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

they have the 3,000 sq ft houses on an acre that they built for €300k - wouldn't buy you a one bed apartment up here, and they all have 06 MO cars. I won't mention that they all have 2 or 3 properties rented out, or their farming / b & b / garden furniture businesses in addition to their day jobs etc but I digress.

The simple fact of the matter is that Dubliners in general lie under the occupation of a hostile culchie state. The Dail? rammed with culchies. Dublin Rental Property? Owned by culchies. All taxes in the country? Paid by Dubliners as culchies have 06 Mercedes' as essential agricultural vehicles etc etc etc.

First you get the farm, then you get the power, then you get the.... oh, you know the rest!

magpie wrote:
    The simple fact of the matter is that Dubliners in general lie under the occupation of a hostile culchie state. The Dail? rammed with culchies. Dublin Rental Property? Owned by culchies. All taxes in the country? Paid by Dubliners as culchies have 06 Mercedes' as essential agricultural vehicles etc etc etc.

First you get the farm, then you get the power, then you get the.... oh, you know the rest!

Hee Hee ... all thanks to a Mayo Man .. Charlie Haughey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Hee Hee ... all thanks to a Mayo Man .. Charlie Haughey

Its true! I see you have an apartment in Croatia to rent? :D And Rathmines, Ranelagh, South Circular Road..... :D

magpie wrote:
    Its true! I see you have an apartment in Croatia to rent? :D And Rathmines, Ranelagh, South Circular Road..... :D

Ermmm... what's that got to do with the price of fish? You can do what you want with your money.... no?

Anyways, back OT ..... you'll find that just like Racists (they have never lived outside Ireland generally) .... that Anti-Dublin or indeed Anti-Culchie syndrome is normally borne out of pure ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Big Kay

A letter in todays Irish Times.....

Madam, - The anti-Dublin bile that emanates from some of our country cousins during the GAA championship season is a serious problem that the organisation must look at. The GAA may like to package this as light-hearted banter but there is a more sinister, deep-rooted, tangible hatred at the heart of this.

The recent assaults on two Dublin senior football players by Mayo supporters after the All-Ireland semi-final vindicate my point. Some parts of the media would like to put these incidents down to the social malaise in Ireland, that is our drink culture, but these acts were perpetrated by GAA supporters against GAA players. If a drunken assailant perpetrates a racist attack, no one blames our drink culture, we call the incident as we should - a racist attack.

I think there is a lot of anger among Dublin GAA supporters over these incidents and the lack of response they have got from both the GAA and the media.

Perhaps it is time for the GAA firstly to accept that they have a problem and then tackle it, before a serious incident occurs. - Yours, etc,

BRIAN Mac SWEENEY, Lower Dargle Road, Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

magpie wrote:
    Is it just me or would it make more sense for GAA matches to be played in Athlone or somewhere central rather than expecting country fans to trek all the way to Dublin - especially for games that Dublin isn't even playing in?
    it's economics magpie, they've paid a fortune for the stadium, they are trying toget the use out of it now, plus if they fill croker they make a much bigger profit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭mobby

To quote Jimmy Rabbitte from The Commitments "Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud."
    I was beside a Mayo man in the Upr Hogan on Sunday who called Jason Sherlock a Gook I think it was, which is a "offensive and clearly ignorant slur usually used to describe Korean-Americans but often used to refer to all Asians", Not the first time I heard Jason called names and not very nice for one of Ireland’s top sports stars to have to hear. I believe he has been called other offensive names on and off the pitch, but I am sure he is well able to deal with this sort of crap himself. The Anti Dublin sentiment over the last few weeks is nothing new to me has I have been listening to it for years. One of the reasons I would have loved for Dublin to win the All Ireland is because it really pisses off the rest of the Country and make them even more a shower of whinging moaners.
    So as to who wins the All Ireland now I really could not give a S**t,
    Jez maybe I am becoming an Anti-culchie moaner now…

Anyway Up the Dubs, sure there is always next year …………… Again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 westdiv

MGrah wrote:
    I don't read tabloids, but certainly the IT/II/ST do not overstate Dublins credentials. They possibly give a little more coverage, but that is simply reflective of their readership.

MGrah, Have read your contributions and enjoyed them. I'm an ABD. Fully paid up. Have to disagree with you on the sentence above. Tom Humphrey's in the IT is painful to read as a culchie. He hypes Dublin so much it should be a crime. Ironically in an article 2 weeks ago he mentioned Tyrone warming up on the Hill 16 end, and glorified loutish behaviour by Dub fans in the same article. Keith Duggan in the IT is impartial and a great sports writer. TH has superb English and a narrow view of the sports world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 westdiv

mobby wrote:
    I was beside a Mayo man in the Upr Hogan on Sunday who called Jason Sherlock a ..........

Mobby, It is sad that someone would use such language. It is horrible and an embarrassment for all of us. Saddens me to hear that. You should have told the yahoo to go get a life....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Didnt get a chance to get on here until now as in Australia. I have to say the result shocked me in the game after we had taken such a lead. I could barely speak after we lost. Fair bloody balls to Mayo for showing that they will not just step aside when 7 points down and winning it and best of luck to them in the Final. Not what i had in mind for my first night over here but what can you do. Was on hell of a great game tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

magpie wrote:

Nothing to do with GAA.

Keep it relevant magpie.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lemlin wrote:
    Compare the population of Dublin to that of Laois and other counties.

Exactly the man's point??? Dublin have more support because they have a bigger population, nobody questioned the quality or the effort other counties make to get behind their teams, its just that Dublin have the capacity to bring huge crowds and do, other counties don't and don't.

How much money did the GAA loose by the Longford game being played outside CP. At the end of the day the ref gave Dublin two chances at the end of the game to get a replay and Dublin were just not good enough to take them, it was a very close game in the end, money not where you’re from really matters at the end of the day to the GAA.
    These constant remarks about the pale/boggers etc do nothing for the general relationships between fans. At the game last Sunday there were a lot of Mayo fans around us on the Canal end and at the end of the game there were no hard feelings so I don’t know why all this BS gets lumped around here about the "Pale" and "Boggers" etc.
    I've spent years going to the canal end with my family to watch both hurling and football. Apart from the Meath saga I never felt hate for another team or supporters and that passed very quickly. The support always mix very well, but here in this forum that I read but don’t say much in people get stuck in and annoy each other. This is just another example of the disinhibited behaviour used when communicating in forums we forget to respect eachother.
    There is no need for it; there are enough problems within the GAA without us turning on each other. A slagging is a slagging etc but people from outside Dublin being branded as "Boggers" and "owning all the property" BS, and Dublin GAA people being branded as "English" (Jackeens, The Pale). I mean Dubs are GAA people, Dublin didn't win all Irelands playing Soccer. Hill 16 as we all know originally contained rubble from the Easter rising. It’s a tradition that the Dubs warm up there. I’m sure there is still room for some tradition in the GAA these things run deep and are part of the game and our identy for many people, other counties have their traditions.
    Dublin were scheduled to play Tipperary on November 21st, 1920 the rest we know was Bloody Sunday. The machine guns were aimed at all GAA supporters.
    Don't take this too seriously lads, I know I seem to be and could do with taking my own advice LOL, I know some of the material I have used will annoy some people but I'm sure that you all understand the core of my arguments, as the man said "we're all Irish men here"

These topics that I am guilty of takings part in myself are going nowhere and brings nastiness to the association IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

Dublin are the Real Madrid of GAA...most resources,most hype,most high profile players, most expectations, most hated by every other team.....NO silver wear to show for all of the above :(

Advertisement