Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Dublin Sentiment

Options
  • 28-08-2006 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Ok firstly apologises if this post is repeating whats probably been discussed before on this forum, Im new to this board and haven't got time to read through all the posts. Im not a die hard GAA fan, I enjoy the championship and love the sport, Im proud to see Croke Park full for a GAA match and think its great to see families and fans from opposing sides walking together toward Croke Park with little or no trouble. That said I was genuinely shocked at the strong undertone of anti -Dublin sentiment which was expressed by the panel in the lead up to yesterdays game on RTE. In particular Michael Lysters patronising and mocking impression of the Dublin accent when he copied a young Dublin fans comments on Dublin "Milling Mayo". The comment wasn't made in jest it was done in a mocking manner. Another member of the panel (sorry I cant remember his name but he had a northern accent) replied by saying he couldnt be expected to have any support for Dublin. Again if this was all done in a lighhearted manner thats OK, after all its healthy competition but I didnt get that impression at all and as far as Im aware neither of them are from Mayo. After the game coments from Kieran McDonald about the incident before the game when Dublin kicked balls into the Hill end despite Mayo warming up saying "Thats Dublin for you" were in my book unfair. I think Mayo thoroughly deserved to win the game and Im glad for them but is it just me or does the whole country cheer against Dublin no matter who their playing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Big Kay wrote:
    Ok firstly apologises if this post is repeating whats probably been discussed before on this forum, Im new to this board and haven't got time to read through all the posts. Im not a die hard GAA fan, I enjoy the championship and love the sport, Im proud to see Croke Park full for a GAA match and think its great to see families and fans from opposing sides walking together toward Croke Park with little or no trouble. That said I was genuinely shocked at the strong undertone of anti -Dublin sentiment which was expressed by the panel in the lead up to yesterdays game on RTE. In particular Michael Lysters patronising and mocking impression of the Dublin accent when he copied a young Dublin fans comments on Dublin "Milling Mayo". The comment wasn't made in jest it was done in a mocking manner. Another member of the panel (sorry I cant remember his name but he had a northern accent) replied by saying he couldnt be expected to have any support for Dublin. Again if this was all done in a lighhearted manner thats OK, after all its healthy competition but I didnt get that impression at all and as far as Im aware neither of them are from Mayo. After the game coments from Kieran McDonald about the incident before the game when Dublin kicked balls into the Hill end despite Mayo warming up saying "Thats Dublin for you" were in my book unfair. I think Mayo thoroughly deserved to win the game and Im glad for them but is it just me or does the whole country cheer against Dublin no matter who their playing?

While there's no doubting that there is an anti dublin Sentiment, this is largely a fault of the media and the hype surounding Dublin, and also how there is a (perceived or not) that Croke Park (in particular Hill16) belongs to Dublin and Dublin only. Just look at how it was all written to be a Dublin Kerry final, and how the Dubs were insistent on practicing into the hill yesterday.

Croke Park does not belong to Dublin any more than any other county, and Mayo have as much right to practise in that end of the pitch if they want to, even more when they won the toss and selected to play from that side of the pitch. That the Dublin team decided that they would practise in the same end is daftness in the extreme, and Caffrey shoulder charging Morrison, well, perhaps that is Dublin for you.

From a Mayo perspective, we were written off before the game even started (by all commentators with the exception of Lyster who always remains neutral anyway), so I would not read too much into what those commentators have to say. As for Michael Lyster taking off the Dublin accent, I don't think it was meant as mocking, but you are entitled to think that, but I don't believe it was.

Kerry and Meath are probably equally disliked if not more so by a number of GAA fans, particularly Mayo. It's a rather healthy rivalry, and you don't see mass riots or fights among the supporters (you may see a few during the game, but that's the physical nature of the game) regardless of who's playing and the rivalry between them. That is what sets GAA apart from other sports, Soccer in particular. I've seen the Policing arrangements that need to be undertaken at soccer games in the UK, and To be honest you need more stewarding at a game that will only have 17,000 than you would for a full house in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭lukin

First of all, it was Conor Mortimer that made those remarks on The Sunday Game , not Ciaran McDonald and I wouldn't take too much notice if I were you, he likes to wind people up.
    I would say you are right, the whole country does cheer against Dublin no matter who their playing. It's because most of the print media is Dublin-based and loves them, so the rest of the country are sick to the back teeth of them being hyped-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Big Kay wrote:

If anything the panel was pro-dub. Brolly and O'Rouke more or less said Mayo should tuck their tail and go to the canal end and let the dubs have the hill. Neither of them gave Mayo a chance.

McDonald was perfectly right in saying that, what right do Dublin have to come down to the end Mayo is warming up at and try and force them out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Is it just me or would it make more sense for GAA matches to be played in Athlone or somewhere central rather than expecting country fans to trek all the way to Dublin - especially for games that Dublin isn't even playing in?

magpie wrote:
    Is it just me or would it make more sense for GAA matches to be played in Athlone or somewhere central rather than expecting country fans to trek all the way to Dublin - especially for games that Dublin isn't even playing in?

Are you mad ? For matches dublin are playing in, do you honestly think 50,000+ Dub fans are going to trek to Athlone ? Half of them wouldn't set foot outside the pale nevermind go to Athlone.

• Advertisement

magpie wrote:

Perhaps Landsdowne Road could be moved to Athlone also, so that it would be easier for the rest of the population to travel to for Soccer and Rugby Internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

magpie wrote:

It's much easier to get to Dublin than the midlands and it is our capital city. Who on earth would want to go to Athlone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

OK, its just me then.

The idea of culchie-free Sundays quite appealed to me though....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

magpie wrote:

You're absolutely right. Its where the money which was spent redeveloping Croke Park should have been spent, developing a new stadium with proper access and facilities NOT in a built up area with residents complaining if it's used for a rock concert. If the Dubs don't want to come out to it, well that's just fine. More tickets for the rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

monosharp wrote:
    Half of them wouldn't set foot outside the pale nevermind go to Athlone.

Two small points to make.

1. Longford in the opening round.

2. Belclare - Tuam - Barnaderg - Dysart - Mountbellew - Ballyforan - Athlone - Moate - Kilbeggan - Tyrellspass - Rochfort Bridge - Kinnegad - Dublin.

This is the route I take *every* time I go and see the Dubs play in Croker.

STFU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

magpie wrote:

Ah no i think since Dublin is capital Corker is in perfect spot. Anyway croke park is GAA headquarters. There are good pitches around the country too sure. What i think is annoying in a way is the way basically once the provincle championships are complete the rest of the all ireland is played in croke park. We should have the quarter-finals outside croke park (unless it suits the teams, or if dublin are playing etc). Sure a championship shouldn't be played in one stadium.

Jaden wrote:
    Two small points to make.

1. Longford in the opening round.

2. Belclare - Tuam - Barnaderg - Dysart - Mountbellew - Ballyforan - Athlone - Moate - Kilbeggan - Tyrellspass - Rochfort Bridge - Kinnegad - Dublin.

This is the route I take *every* time I go and see the Dubs play in Croker.

STFU.

What is your point ? I didn't say you didn't go, i didn't say no dublin fans go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Let me explain further (and use small words so that the message is not lost).

1. The first point is that every county in Ireland would have more supporters at a home game than an away one. There is not one iota of evidence to suggest that Dublin fans are any less likely to travel than any other county. Given that the majority of Dublin games are played in Dublin, then it stands to reason that Dubs should travel less than most counties (they're simply not accustomed to it). However, this is simply a biased makey-uppy-fact that does the rounds every one in a while - there is no supporting evidence to back it up.

The Longford games proved the inverse of this "fact". Dub supporters outnumbered the local support.

2. Not every Dublin supporter lives in the Shadow of Croker. Some of us, and I am not alone, have to make the long trek to Dublin for every home game.

Sticking in vague generalisations about Dublin fans, while blatently ignoring the fact that the same behaviour is displayed by virtually all county supporters is simply Dub-bashing. Fair enough, but at least have the spine to call it as it is.

STFU x 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

Blackjack wrote:
    Croke Park does not belong to Dublin any more than any other county, and Mayo have as much right to practise in that end of the pitch if they want to, even more when they won the toss and selected to play from that side of the pitch. That the Dublin team decided that they would practise in the same end is daftness in the extreme, and Caffrey shoulder charging Morrison, well, perhaps that is Dublin for you.

Sometimes the things people make up to back themselves up when posting on message boards is incredible. The toss took place on pitch after both teams had already gone out to warm up. I only wish that some of the Dublin players had taken Caffrey's lead. This thing of going on about how Mayo have the right to warm up at the Hill end is just pathetic. Nah Nah Nah, doesn't belong to you blah blah blah. Fact is the Mayo players decided to try and wind the Dublin players up by heading for the Hill end, they knew exactly what they were doing, they knew exactly what would happen next (a la Armagh in 99 only at least that time the Dubs tore into them properly). I could respect Mayo players/supporters if they just said yep, we tried to psyche them out, rather than the stupid crap of 'it's our right'. Actually I'd admire the Mayo players for having the steel to wind up the crowd.
    As for Mortimor's comments on TSG last night, he went a long way down in my estimation (not that he gives a you know what). Walking off the pitch after such a great game, and having no respect for the opposition really does nothing for the man. The fact is that Dublin left that game behind them on the pitch, and CM would do better to realise that than to start getting ideas.

As for the others posting about Dublin fans not travelling? Sure Mayo, Laois, Cork and Kerry couldn't fill Croke Park between them for an AI Semi/Quarter final last week. Contrast that to any games the Dubs have played away from Croker over the last few years, the old games in Navan in the early 90's thurles in 2001, Carlow in 2002, Clones in 2003, Longford this year. I would say every time Dublin had further to travel and brought more supporters. Laois being the best example of a supposed 'well supported' team. Couldn't even fill O'Moore Park for a game against their biggest rivals, but when it was the Dubs in Croker there were loads of them.

And as for the media hype, that's the biggest myth there's ever been. The only thing hyped up about the Dublin football team is the hype that supposedly surrounds them. I have yet to see one person actually give a reference to where this hype actually exists.

Yesterday I left Croke Park thinking fair play to Mayo, great comeback, proved us all wrong about lacking bottle, and about their ability to play in a physical encounter. After hearing the comments coming from Mayo players (Mortimor really) and some supporters, I think I'll actually buy a Kerry shirt before the final. I think I might even get myself a ticket (hopefully one that was supposed to go to Mayo).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

MGrah wrote:
    Sometimes the things people make up to back themselves up when posting on message boards is incredible. The toss took place on pitch after both teams had already gone out to warm up. I only wish that some of the Dublin players had taken Caffrey's lead. This thing of going on about how Mayo have the right to warm up at the Hill end is just pathetic. Nah Nah Nah, doesn't belong to you blah blah blah. Fact is the Mayo players decided to try and wind the Dublin players up by heading for the Hill end, they knew exactly what they were doing, they knew exactly what would happen next (a la Armagh in 99 only at least that time the Dubs tore into them properly). I could respect Mayo players/supporters if they just said yep, we tried to psyche them out, rather than the stupid crap of 'it's our right'. Actually I'd admire the Mayo players for having the steel to wind up the crowd.

except they do have the right to warm up there

what is wrong with them warming up in the hill end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Dub supporters outnumbered the local support

cause they demanded more tickets, Longford obliged them, and nearly beat them...
    Fact is the Mayo players decided to try and wind the Dublin players up by heading for the Hill end, they knew exactly what they were doing

it worked. The Dubs were cat in the first 15 minutes. Quinn hadn't his freetaking practiced and Pillar was more interested in shouldering the opposition's management that concentrating on getting his team foccused

fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

MGrah wrote:
    As for Mortimor's comments on TSG last night, he went a long way down in my estimation (not that he gives a you know what). Walking off the pitch after such a great game, and having no respect for the opposition really does nothing for the man. The fact is that Dublin left that game behind them on the pitch, and CM would do better to realise that than to start getting ideas.

Dublin left nothing behind them. Mayo beat them by playing better football. Dublin only got back into the game in the first half by getting Ciara Whelan to close-hang Ronan McGarrity. They should of been down to 14 men for the rest of the game.

As for Mortimer, he talked the truth. Why should Mayo let the Dubs practice in front of the Hill? They were out first and, as mentioned, they warmed up there for the last two games.

Why should he respect opposition who have a player who could of seriously injured his team mate? I know I wouldn't.
    As for the others posting about Dublin fans not travelling? Sure Mayo, Laois, Cork and Kerry couldn't fill Croke Park between them for an AI Semi/Quarter final last week. Contrast that to any games the Dubs have played away from Croker over the last few years, the old games in Navan in the early 90's thurles in 2001, Carlow in 2002, Clones in 2003, Longford this year. I would say every time Dublin had further to travel and brought more supporters. Laois being the best example of a supposed 'well supported' team. Couldn't even fill O'Moore Park for a game against their biggest rivals, but when it was the Dubs in Croker there were loads of them.

Compare the population of Dublin to that of Laois and other counties.

And as for the media hype, that's the biggest myth there's ever been. The only thing hyped up about the Dublin football team is the hype that supposedly surrounds them. I have yet to see one person actually give a reference to where this hype actually exists.

Plenty of people talk about the hype surrounding Dublin. You mustn't listen alot or read this forum. There was a full topic on it a while ago.

Yesterday I left Croke Park thinking fair play to Mayo, great comeback, proved us all wrong about lacking bottle, and about their ability to play in a physical encounter. After hearing the comments coming from Mayo players (Mortimor really) and some supporters, I think I'll actually buy a Kerry shirt before the final. I think I might even get myself a ticket (hopefully one that was supposed to go to Mayo).

He was right to give those comments. What's wrong with him winding up the opposition? His entire team had been written off before the ball was even thrown up. If he wants to gloat now, I say let him.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

MGrah wrote:

I disagree with a lot of wat u said in that post. If dublin had followed Caffrey's lead we may have had a riot and who knows wat may of happened then. Mayo were out first and picked the hill, fair enough they picked it just to stir things but they had the right. Wat about dublin marching down in a group to the same side and kicking around. anything to say about that. Conor mortimer was foolish saying wat he did considering they had won. But he did walk off pitch arm in arm with dublin goal keeper.

Please don't go on about kerry cork mayo and laois supporters numbers we have had enough of that talk and also i think it is unfair to give out about dublin supporters traveling and a lot of it is horse s***.

On a final note there is media hype due to tabloids etc but as has been stated it is because of tabloids trying to make money and it is unfortuate to the dublin team and the dublin fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have to agree with the original poster. I love the GAA and I too am not a real die hard fan. To be honest, watching the Dubs depresses me (and I'm a DUB), due to the standard of their play, wide, wide, wide, wide, oh a score-that will do mentality. But I put it down purely to jealousy because Dublin in the nations capital and the likes Of say Cork just an't handle this. It applies in every walk of life, not just sport and to be honest it's quite annoying at times. I suppose the best remedy is to take it 'with a pinch' of salt and smile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

MGrah wrote:
    The fact is that Dublin left that game behind them on the pitch, and CM would do better to realise that than to start getting ideas.

LMAO ... Dublin were on top for 11 minutes of the 74 .... did you actually see the game?

I had my hand shook last night from more Dublin people than the day I got married ..... and not one Dublin person thought Mayo didn't deserve to win.

But as Tayto ads says.... There's always one.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

magpie wrote:
    Its just you. Dublin is the capital, the headquarters of the Gaa, the traditional home of the last games of the championship, the easiest to get to with an infrastructure that can handle the crowds and where every GAA player aspires to play.

And of coarse mayo should have warmed up in front of the hill. they were out first and it would be madness to just give dublin the advantage of having 20,000 screaming you on (cause if that doesnt get you fired up nothing will)

MGrah wrote:

Ok, so they were out first, and got to choose which side they wanted to practice into. That OK for you now?.

Mortimer can say what he likes - and as regards sportsmanship, you clearly did not see him walking off the pitch with the Dublin keeper. As for his comments, well what do you expect when Dublin (I'll refer to the Managers actions specifically) reacted they way they did?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

oh the poor Dubs everyone hates us... "did you here about the dub with the inferiority complex ? ...he thought there might be someone as good as him" .
    get over the complex and relax. Its good to be a dub.

dont worry about anti dub sentiment. That comes with the mantal of being the captial city, We are different than the culchies and we all the better for it.... There is no malice in the rivialry .. or very little and besides we are big boys we can take it.

look at it this way, I'ed rather be a dub than a royal !

besides all that, I think you might be suirprised at how many people like us. As long as your grown up to like them.

For my part Im Irish I like all Irish people and Gaa suporters...tho Meath do stretch my patience a tad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Aido c

Its not Hype, its not a myth or some big conspiracy!

The simple fact remains that the bulk of this country's media are based in Dublin, The bulk of that media's target market (i.e. people) are also based in Dublin. So there is always the danger that Dublin will get talked up over an and above their weight.

The opposite is equally true, Mayo than fall out of focus. That was insane, Mayo have contested 4 all ireland finals since '96 and they were not given a look in the last day by the media. Because face it, sports writers will tell you or their target audience what they want to hear.

This is not a GAA thing, its a Dublin thing, look at Leinster V. Munster last year. Leinster were carried away on a wave of hype that they had the best try scorer's. They did, but it was so flagged by the media that these guys (as if Munster had to be reminded anyway) never got a look in.

Compared to this Dublin punched alot closer to their weight than Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Culchie wrote:
    LMAO ... Dublin were on top for 11 minutes of the 74 .... did you actually see the game?
    Thats not really fair culchie.

Dublin were one point up after 34 minutes. If Dublin were only on top for those 11 second half minutes, how were they ahead?

According to the stats Dublin created 34 scoring chances overall. Mayo created 26. That suggests Dublin were on top for longer than Mayo. The difference was the Mayo's shooting was far better.

According to the papers yesterday Dublin hit woodwork 5 times (I only remember 4 myself, but the points the same) and didnt get a score from any of them. That suggests a tad bit of bad luck.

Mayo put in a great performance, some say their best performance ever, they won by a point and nobody begrudges them. But if someone had the opinion that had Dublin snatched an equaliser it would not have been undeserved, it would be a reasonable opinion to hold. Some would agree, some wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jaysus,
    First things first,
    Coverage/animosity
    Mayo people show just as much, if not more, animosity towards Kerry and Meath-because of our history with both teams.
    The fact that many people dislike Dublin is the amount of hype and media coverage they get-granted, the media, to a large extent, and the majority of their consumers are based in Dublin so I suppose it is understandable that they get so much coverage. However, the problem is, the hype. They are always hyped up by the media with endless column inches dedicated to them-most of which is utter nonsense. Some of the fans have a relatively narrow outlook on the game, preferring to focus more on the Hill debacle, more that the Ciaran Whelan incident, which had far more impact on the game.

The Hill-
    Its pretty obvious that Mayo were the first team out on the pitch. If Dublin wanted to warm up in front of the hill they should have come out first. (Dublin might I add, were also very late coming out for the second half)
    Whether or not Mayo intended to "mess" up Dublins prematch preperations intentionally is irrevalent. Dublin did as much to mess up Mayos match by intentionally taking out Ronan McGarrity-which might I add was a turning point in the game.
    Whats worse, a bit of mental messing around before the game or intentionally trying to injure another player during it? This is also why some people dont like dublin or the attitude of SOME of their supporters.
    Anyway as mentioned earlier on this thread Mayo have as much right to warm up there as anyone else. If such an incident can be deemed to have had such an inpact on the Dublin team you can be sure that you will see a lot more of "hill hogging" next year by other teams that come to Croker to play them.

Scoring chances-
    On the day, Mayo were the better team, they too had their goal chances and missed some easy points-they had some great performances and some great luck. Luck-something Mayo could do with more of. Hopefully we have the same amount against Kerry the next day and the preformances of the players stay the same. On another day Dublin would have won this match, on Sunday it was Mayo who had the run of the ball.
    As they say, there is only one statistic that counts.
    This game shouldnt be the highlight of the year for Mayo, lets hope it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

MGrah wrote:

Bitter??
    Everyone knows Mayo did it to psyche them out and it worked, maybe players dont want to get involved in stupid arguments like these. They went down there first and got one over on Dublin!! Thats it!!
    Maybe Mortimor has a right to be a bit cocky afterwards, sure the entire Dublin team disrespected them by warming up at the same side as them, pure ignorence and arrogance.
    As for Dublin leaving the game behind, what planet are you on ? game could of went either way, ask anyone here!! I would even say Mayo deserved it for comeback

MGrah wrote:

Valid point indeed but you must remember population of Dublin compared to the rest of the counties in Ireland

MGrah wrote:
    Just pick up some newspapers and look at the coverage they get!!!
    MGrah wrote:

Its always good to hear another person supporting the Kingdom, so buy that jersey.

Anyway sure as lots of people have been saying since Dublin lost, roll on next year, dublin for sam 07 :rolleyes:
    Final hasn't even been played yet...

There's too many things in here to quote anyone, I'd be at it all day. I'll try to respond to all the comments on my post.

Firstly, I nevery suggested for a second that Mayo don't have the right to warm up in front of the hill, like I said I respect them for it, and I would say the same goes for most Dublin supporters. It's always good to see a team prepared to stoke the fires as it were. What I am talking about it the stupidity of suggesting that having the right was the reason the players decided to do it. Why people can't just admit that it was a psychological ploy, and that the Mayo players knew Dublin would not go to the Canal End is beyond me. Frankly the 'we have the right' is a childish argument. Just call it what it is.

Next I think was blackjack's 'won the toss' comment. Again I wasn't talking about whether Mayo have the right, that comment was about you making something up to back up your point, rather than just sticking to facts.

Next - I think someone said why shouldn't Mortimor wind up the opposition. Simple answer because the game is over. It's perfectly fine to wind up the opposition, play all the mind games you want (like warming up at the hill end!) it's a battle out there, but once the game is over, have the dignity to give the opposition respect for what was a great game. I have spoken to a number of Mayo people re:CM's comments and they all agree that they were innappropriate.

Culchie - I shook the hand of plenty of Mayo supporters on the way out of Croke Park, as I said it was a great game, and Mayo proved many people wrong. They were very well supported, and fair play to the Mayo, Ross, and Leitrim folks for getting behind them. (Didn't see to many Meath supporters cheering the Dubs on ;) ) The problem is that it has very quickly gone from being a 'jaysus what a game' attitude to a world beaters attitude, and it doesn't carry well. You mentioned that Dublin dominated 11 minutes of the game? and asked was I watching. I was, although in the game I watched, the Dubs outscored Mayo by 2-11 to 0-6 between the 18th and 46thish minutes. My maths ain't great, but I think it's more than 11. And this leads on to my main point, Mayo played what has pretty widely been agreed was their best game for 50 years+, the Dubs played to their potential for 30 minutes max. and lost by a point. What does that tell you?
    I won't for a second begrudge Mayo their place in the final. To be honest, if there's one county I think deserves an All Ireland for the past 10 years it's Mayo. But what we're hearing now, is nothing more than triumphilism. Granted enjoy the win, party like it's 1999, but have a bit of respect for the opposition.

As for the hype, someone mentioned that there had been a whole topic on here about it. This is my point. People are talking about the hype more than they talk about the team. The dublin team generates alot of column inches but so much of it now is talking about the hype surrounding the team rather than the team themselves. I don't read tabloids, but certainly the IT/II/ST do not overstate Dublins credentials. They possibly give a little more coverage, but that is simply reflective of their readership.

And I think lastly, (if I've left anyone out, blah blah) Dublin did leave that game behind them. While I am grateful to the guys for a great year, we had some good times, and some not so good times, there were some bad decisions made on Sunday that cost Dublin. Mostly coming from the sideline. Whatever about McDonald, Mortimor et al having great games, which they of course did. It was Mickey Moran's substitutions (timing/position as much as personnel) versus Pillars that was the difference between the teams.

And please if you're going to reply try and make it a little more reason based than 'because we do have the right' or 'because you don't own Croke Park'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

kippy wrote:
    If such an incident can be deemed to have had such an inpact on the Dublin team you can be sure that you will see a lot more of "hill hogging" next year by other teams that come to Croker to play them.

Think they are going to pre assign where each team goes before they come out to avoid it happening again.
    Pitty, it was pure entertainment

• Advertisement

Bitter??
    Everyone knows Mayo did it to psyche them out and it worked, maybe players dont want to get involved in stupid arguments like these. They went down there first and got one over on Dublin!! Thats it!!
    Maybe Mortimor has a right to be a bit cocky afterwards, sure the entire Dublin team disrespected them by warming up at the same side as them, pure ignorence and arrogance.
    As for Dublin leaving the game behind, what planet are you on ? game could of went either way, ask anyone here!! I would even say Mayo deserved it for comeback

Not really bitter (maybe a little) but this is mostly my point. Mayo got their first, fair play to them, but to suggest that they expected the Dubs to go to the canal end is silly. Every person in Croke Park knew exactly what would happen. The response of the crowd, and the anticipation of Dublin coming out told you that. I was in the Cusack at the canal end and saw Paddy Russel walking out, his head dropped when he saw the Mayo team. Even he knew. I wouldn't say Dublin dissrespected Mayo particularly by going to the hill end, they needed the psychology of defying Mayo's stance as much as Mayo's stance was important to them, and a good psychological move.

Advertisement