Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've got €900

Options
  • 27-08-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Okay so I have around 900 euro (combination of birthday and doing well in the LC) and I'm hankering after a new bass. I can go over the 900 but not by much.

So people get reccomending. There are only two stipulations: It MUST be a 5 string. And it has to have Active pups (push/pull passive is ok).

Doc I'm looking in your direction!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Personally, I'd got for a Music Man SUB 5 String. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Personally, I'd got for a Music Man SUB 5 String. ;)
    I gots a SUB already.

Slurms wrote:
    I gots a SUB already.

A 5 string one?

A 5 string one?
    No, 4 string. But I wouldn't really want another one.

BTW have you listened to Agalloch yet?

Slurms wrote:
    No, 4 string. But I wouldn't really want another one.

BTW have you listened to Agalloch yet?

Well then why don't you buy one for me?

And yeah, I have. Good band. ;)

• Advertisement

Well then why don't you buy one for me?
    Ask nicely ;)

I like this one!

Slurms wrote:
    Ask nicely ;)

Please, please, please Mr. Slurms. :o
    Slurms wrote:
    I like this one!

Well, if it's anything like the John Myung sig I played, then it's fantastic! Ever consider a John Myung signiature model?

Please, please, please Mr. Slurms. :o
    No, sorry.

Well, if it's anything like the John Myung sig I played, then it's fantastic! Ever consider a John Myung signiature model?
    Hmm 6 strings are tempting, plus I have been listening to alot of DT lately...
    Though I don't think I wanna spend that much because a case will have to be bought aswell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm going to speak for the Doc right here:

Get a Bacchus.

That is all.

Slurms wrote:
    No, sorry.

Bastard.
    Slurms wrote:
    Hmm 6 strings are tempting, plus I have been listening to alot of DT lately...
    Though I don't think I wanna spend that much because a case will have to be bought aswell.

Try here, they include a free case. ;)

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:

Get a Bacchus.

That is all.
    Any linkys so I can have a looksee?
    Try here, they include a free case. ;)
    Works out at over a grand including delivery. Ouchies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

feylya wrote:

Get a Bacchus.

That is all.

And I'll say it again.

Get a Bacchus. End of story.

Go to http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/ and do a search

95,000 Yen gets you this
    3252216011.jpg

80,000 Yen gets you this
    3252191011.jpg

Yeah, what the Doc said. He's probably more in the know than me on bassism. ;)

I like the second one Doc, but I think I'm gonna go with the Yamaha in Translucent Dark Red. BAS0001614-003.jpg
    That pic made me fall in love.

Have to wait til september to order it! Stoopid Credit Card bill!!

Suit yourself man, but I wouldn't turn up a fully hand made bass with Bartolini pickups and pre-amp, stunningly responsive wood and superb playability which retails at over 2 grand new for the Yamaha... but that's just me :p

Doctor J wrote:
    Suit yourself man, but I wouldn't turn up a fully hand made bass with Bartolini pickups and pre-amp, stunningly responsive wood and superb playability which retails at over 2 grand new for the Yamaha... but that's just me :p
    God damn it....

Tell me more.

Bacchus!

Slurms wrote:
    God damn it....

Tell me more.

I took a punt on one of these a few months ago. Second hand from the U-box, a little beaten up, but structurally and electronically sound. It made me re-evaluate how important wood is to an instrument, in the sense that acoustically, it's loud. Very loud. The wood they use is superb. The thing is too loud to play unplugged watching the telly, for example. It sounds great before you plug it in, which means you've less fecking about to do when you do plug in because the fundamentaly tone of the bass is excellent. The pickups are sweet. Mine has their own handmade brand (same as the black one I posted) the natural one there has barts. You'll notice the one without the barts is more expensive and for good reason. The pickups are superb, just a really full and sweet tone. Add a bart ntct three band preamp (controls are vol-vol-treble-bass with a mid control inside the cavity) to tweak that fundamentally amazing tone and you've got a pro-class bass, I mean Sadowsky, Lull, etc class bass. Essentially it's an excellently constructed instrument with fanstastic acoustic properties packaged with a proven world class preamp. What is going in your favour is that they're a very small domestic Japanese brand (devisor is the parent company), so you're getting a completely hand made instrument of superb quality for less than you'd pay for a mass produced stock Korean instrument because hype about the name isn't included in the price tag. List price on the Standard 5 is over 220,000 Yen. So if you want your red Yamaha, go ahead dude ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Doctor J wrote:
    I took a punt on one of these a few months ago. Second hand from the U-box, a little beaten up, but structurally and electronically sound. It made me re-evaluate how important wood is to an instrument, in the sense that acoustically, it's loud. Very loud. The wood they use is superb. The thing is too loud to play unplugged watching the telly, for example. It sounds great before you plug it in, which means you've less fecking about to do when you do plug in because the fundamentaly tone of the bass is excellent. The pickups are sweet. Mine has their own handmade brand (same as the black one I posted) the natural one there has barts. You'll notice the one without the barts is more expensive and for good reason. The pickups are superb, just a really full and sweet tone. Add a bart ntct three band preamp (controls are vol-vol-treble-bass with a mid control inside the cavity) to tweak that fundamentally amazing tone and you've got a pro-class bass, I mean Sadowsky, Lull, etc class bass. Essentially it's an excellently constructed instrument with fanstastic acoustic properties packaged with a proven world class preamp. What is going in your favour is that they're a very small domestic Japanese brand (devisor is the parent company), so you're getting a completely hand made instrument of superb quality for less than you'd pay for a mass produced stock Korean instrument because hype about the name isn't included in the price tag. List price on the Standard 5 is over 220,000 Yen. So if you want your red Yamaha, go ahead dude ;)

For Chrissake Dr J. STOP holdin' back! Just tell the guy what you really think of it! ;)

• Advertisement

The thing is though, I am holding back :D

Fey has played this bass, he knows the score. Tell em man :p

TBH, I'm seriously gassing over one of those too after seeing Doc's one. It is just incredible for the price. Small companies with a reasonably unknown name is where I'm going to be doing most of my guitar shopping from now on. Eggle, Ran, Bacchus. You pay for the instrument, not the name.

I'm sure the TRB is a kick ass bass, but for me, it's Bacchus all the way. I like everything about it, it's just a superb instrument, I proabably wouldn't have ordered a Hotwire if I found it this time last year.

Shhh, it might hear you :p

The Hotwire knows my love for it is pure and unconditional :D

Just keep them seperate. There's plenty of storage here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Jesus lads, I don't even play Bass and I want a Bacchus. :(

Damnit doc, I was looking at that last night :p As long as they don't do black strats with maple fretboards, I should be safe...enough.

• Advertisement

And more

http://www.guitarsjapan.com/bacchusinfopage.html

bacchus-bst-67r-3ts-1.jpg
    bacchus-bls-600qm-ld-1.jpg
    bacchus-bst-gl-1.jpg

I'm sorry, I'll stop now :p

Advertisement