Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiot

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

We are one of the worst drivers in Europe. Just look at the number of fatal accidents we have on our roads every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

I could go further and say that 99% of driving instruction does not include any form of training on a dualcarraigeway. The rules of the road do not refer to any form of interaction with (from a driving perspective) railway level crossings or trams. In fact the signage for trams is still not in the latest edition of the rules of the road booklet. People from counties that have no dual carraigeways can pass a test on the basis of never actually driving on one. Its not their fault, but does cause problems later on. Lack of decent roads nationwide and driving instruction complacency is the problem. This will change in the years ahead hopefully. The lack of tram signage and reference material in the rules of the road booklet is also a major disadvantage to drivers from outside the Dublin area.

That said, traffic lights are traffic lights. The time lapse between a red light for road traffic and a proceed signal for a tram is very generous. In areas of congestion, tram drivers have become very used to the line being blocked. They honk their horns in useless frustration. Key points are, Johns Road, outside Heuston, Harcourt road with the junction of Harcourt street and the now infamous Queens street. Queens street is not by any means a "fast" stretch of roadway. I use it 5 days a week. Personally, Im in no doubt that the van driver was at fault. He jumped a light very late and hit the tram. Ive seen near misses in this area very often. just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Maskhadov wrote:
    We are one of the worst drivers in Europe. Just look at the number of fatal accidents we have on our roads every year.

lack of proper law enforcement combined with piss poor planning and design of roads

if the same conditions existed in any country then the results would be the same

The fact that one van driver crashes into a tram or that 350 people are killed on our roads does not make all Irish people bad drivers.
    You can of course consider yourself one of the worst drivers in Europe if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Voipjunkie wrote:
    lack of proper law enforcement combined with piss poor planning and design of roads

if the same conditions existed in any country then the results would be the same

Perhaps. But it contributes towards our driving culture here where what is acceptable is whatever you can get away with.

I've driven (ridden, to be more accurate, on motorcycle tours) quite a bit in NI, GB, France, Germany and Spain and to a lesser extent in Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Liechtenstein* and Greece.

Irish drivers are easily the worst I've encountered.

*it's not possible to clock up much mileage there no matter how long you stay :D

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note from the Indo photo.

* Deployed airbag.
    * Sacrificial damage to front of tram (plastic panels will deform, thereby saving pedestrians)
    * Tram Bumpers (railway style + galvanised steel box) are at a different level to the base of the truck - one wonders if the truck had proper rails on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I used to work on the corner of Jervis St & Abbey St.
    Everyday, I would see plenty of occasions where people broke the lights at the junction, take illegal left or right hand turns down the tracks or stop on the yellow box junction.
    I never saw an incident with the trams at this jcn but I really don't know how! The tram drivers always seemed prepared for idiots to break the traffic laws though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

Originally Posted by Maskhadov

that!..is a fact and i would definitely agree.:o when will we learn?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

Victor wrote:
    Note from the Indo photo.

* Sacrificial damage to front of tram (plastic panels will deform, thereby saving pedestrians)

I never heard that term being used before - 'Sacrificial Damage'. Does that mean certain panels on the tram, the ones most vulnerable to damage, are designed in a way to save the rest of the structure in the event of a collision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The front has a number of panels which are clipped on, designed to act like a bumper on a car and can be replaced quite easily, that said this incident was extremely serious and almost certainly the tram spent a few days jacked up to make sure it hadn't suffered ill effects from derailment, the wheels might need re-profiling

Sadly the only way people are going to learn is the hard way and its a miracle no one has been killed, most incidents have been caught on CCTV its about time the RPA took out a TV add to show in extreme graphic detail what happens

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

bazzer wrote:
    I never heard that term being used before - 'Sacrificial Damage'. Does that mean certain panels on the tram, the ones most vulnerable to damage, are designed in a way to save the rest of the structure in the event of a collision?
    Also known as a crumple zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

That was my dad who was driving the van in that crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

colly_06 wrote:
    That was my dad who was driving the van in that crash.
    And what did he say about it?? That the Luas should have served to avoid him??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

colly_06 must be on the pisstake.

Advertisement