Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karl Hungus Recommends...

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Nice list the KH, ive only seen a few of em but intend to get the rest now.

OH and BTW while talking about horror movies to TV I thought Blade the series was very good. OK perhaps not a real horror but not bad all the same for a TV conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Nice list. I've seen maybe 6 of those and have taken note of the others to put on the fast track to viewing. I've been meaning to indulge in the Devils Backbone for quite some time but like others have just not gotten around to it. I like your mention of the Dead Zone here. I've seen this film plenty of times but It's one I like to forget about for a few years and then watch again. It's great.

Audition really got to me when I saw it as well. It just got sooooo nasty. Very hard to watch. Must dig it out from the bottom of my collection and give it another go soon. I'm also a huge Miike fan. Gozu didn't do anything for me and having forked out €25 for it at the time I was disappointed. The local Xtra-Vision has a copy of Visitor Q which I keep meaning to pick up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You know what I think? I think it's time for Our Lord And Master, Sir Hungus, to add to his list. And yes, I know this is an ancient thread, but you know...what the hell.

So.

Since last posting in here, I've picked up a few new additions to my collection, and am looking for some more ideasb (aside from things Karl has already recommended). I've picked up Gozu and Vital, and have Abnormal Beauty on its way to me. I've got the following on my list to look up and I'm wondering if there's anything I should add to (or, perhaps, remove from) it:

Versus
    Tetsuo 2 : Body Hammer
    Sympathy For Mr Vengeance
    Lady Vengeance
    The Isle
    Dumplings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Fysh wrote:
    You know what I think? I think it's time for Our Lord And Master, Sir Hungus, to add to his list. And yes, I know this is an ancient thread, but you know...what the hell.

Sir Hungus has kinda fallen behind. Lately, he hasn't been keeping up a lot of recent horrors, what with him not having seen the likes of Hostel, Wolf Creek and many others that have either been out recently.

He even has a few on DVD he's not yet got around to watching, such as Pulse (Original) and Acacia. Just got Pan's Labyrinth though, and hopefully will have The Host soon, he has high expectations for those.
    Fysh wrote:
    So.

Since last posting in here, I've picked up a few new additions to my collection, and am looking for some more ideasb (aside from things Karl has already recommended). I've picked up Gozu and Vital, and have Abnormal Beauty on its way to me. I've got the following on my list to look up and I'm wondering if there's anything I should add to (or, perhaps, remove from) it:

Versus
    Tetsuo 2 : Body Hammer
    Sympathy For Mr Vengeance
    Lady Vengeance
    The Isle
    Dumplings

Sir Hungus loved Gozu and Vital, but has not seen Abnormal Beauty, The Isle, or Dumplings. Versus, Tetsuo 2, and the two films with Vengeance in the title are all excellent, although some people didn't think Lady Vengeance didn't live up to Chan-Wook Park's other films, but Karl says give it a chance, it's extremely good in it's own right.

Karl is at a bit of a loss as to what else to recommend. If you like the style of Versus, then he would say pick up Azumi, from the same director, and that if you like The Isle, it might be worth picking up more of Ki-duk Kim's films, but none of them are exactly Horror, so it's a little off-topic?

Perhaps you've seen it, but he would also recommend Memories Of Murder, which is a phenominal South Korean film, from the director of The Host. More drama though, so it might not be quite what you're looking for.

Oldschool Jap Horror Onibaba is well worth a look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Host is out already actually, and I'm looking forward to watching it immensely.

Tetsuo, now that you mention the sequel, is it any good? Another I've always meant to see but never got around to it. I thought the Isle was poor but that's just my opinion. I actually own Versus, or at least used to (can't remember if it's lying around or not still), and watched the first five minutes and no more. Not that it was bad, mind, just seemed so....meh in comparison to all the praise surrounding it. That wasn't the reason I stopped watching it though, I'm usually one to give any film a chance. Just something came up, and I never returned to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The last horror I bought was The Devil's Backbone which, as mentioned in the OP, is excellent. A powerful drama as much as a horror, but not without its scares. Very atmospheric, very creepy at times.
    The part where Carlos is hiding in the closet with the spirit of Santi trying to break in from the outside was very intense

HavoK wrote:
    Host is out already actually, and I'm looking forward to watching it immensely.

Yeah I know it's out, but my copy got lost in the post. :(
    HavoK wrote:
    Tetsuo, now that you mention the sequel, is it any good? Another I've always meant to see but never got around to it. I thought the Isle was poor but that's just my opinion. I actually own Versus, or at least used to (can't remember if it's lying around or not still), and watched the first five minutes and no more. Not that it was bad, mind, just seemed so....meh in comparison to all the praise surrounding it. That wasn't the reason I stopped watching it though, I'm usually one to give any film a chance. Just something came up, and I never returned to it...

Yeah, Testuo 2 is quite good. Well worth a look in my opinion.

Seriously try and give Versus another look. I don't know how you couldn't absolutely love the film though, Samurai, Zombies, Yakuza... It's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Dammit, I just read back over this thread and went and bought -
    The Happiness Of The Katakuris
    The Eye
    Visitor Q
    and completely unrelated to the thread I also bought this

Total cost - €42

c - 13 wrote:

Troma make some of the most offensive, goriest movies around. If you like Rabid Grannies try 'Killer Condom' or especially, 'Toxic Avenger IV' - that one has so many offensive scenes it almost isn't funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yeha i've been trying to track down the killer condom one, I fouund a copy but it was in german. And i've seen most of the toxic avenger ones too - I dont think i've seen the one your referring too

//adds to list

• Advertisement

Toxic Avenger was good, the second one despite a brief good start was poor, and the third one terrible. The fourth one is easily the best of the lot, with the highest production values as well as the most offensive by a mile. You'd be hard pressed to find a universally more offensive movie. No one is spared - pensioners, handicapped people....the list is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I'm afraid I don't share the love for Asian horror, not that I have a hatred of it, rather that it just doesn't do it for me!

In the general field of underrated/unknown horror I'd recommend I'd have to say this:

Frailty - A cracking good movie directed by and starring Bill Paxton. You'll love it even for the fact that it reeks of underdog

They Nest - Ok so not exactly in league with any of the others mentioned here and not entirely original but if you're not too familiar with creepy crawley flicks then watch his made for TV flick. Very tongue in cheek!

Thats all I have ontop of what everyone else has mentioned! Can't recommend Frailty enough though

niallon wrote:
    I'm afraid I don't share the love for Asian horror, not that I have a hatred of it, rather that it just doesn't do it for me!

Mind if I ask which Asian horror films have you seen?
    niallon wrote:
    Frailty - A cracking good movie directed by and starring Bill Paxton. You'll love it even for the fact that it reeks of underdog

Fraily is a very good film indeed, and pretty much all the cast are phenominal in it, especially the child actors, but I kinda had problems with the ending:
    The whole film was building upon the abuse of the kids, and I felt the ending justified the abuse in a extremely sanctimonious way. It works as a simple "Twist" movie, if you disregard what is a fairly deep drama story as you see the lives of the two children, and likewise, if you disregaurd the twist ending, the film works as a serious drama of the boys abused by their mentally ill father. But the two elements practically seem unable to fit together, but moreso the ending cheapens the guts of the film.

So yeah, good film, but I'm very ambivalent about it.

I haven't seen a wealth of Asian horror, more so what I have seen didn't cause much of a spark for me: Ichi, Battle Royale, Ju-On, Ring off the top of my head.

As for Frailty's ending, I agree in a sense. As I said about the underdog issue, I am slightly biased when it comes down to it. I heard Paxton was at work on his directorial debút, I'm a big fan, and next thing I hear it's slipped under the radar. The biggest problem I've seen with the ending is the debates. Spoiler (Now in shiny inviso-text!)

People debating whether or not he was ill, then it suddenly becomes a religious argument and I then run out to find the nearest pub! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

regarding Argento, I always preferred Suspira to Profondo Rosso. BUt i find some of argento's stuff can be a bit over indulgent and sometimes poor. I didnt like The Church for example.

Dont think it was mentioned yet but i thought The Eye was good, particular the scene in the lift....

niallon wrote:
    They Nest - Ok so not exactly in league with any of the others mentioned here and not entirely original but if you're not too familiar with creepy crawley flicks then watch his made for TV flick. Very tongue in cheek!

I think I recommended this is another thread before as well. Excellent film. Production values were low but the film was fairly decent quality throughout....to be honest I enjoyed it just as Arachnaphobia. :)

HavoK wrote:
    I think I recommended this is another thread before as well. Excellent film. Production values were low but the film was fairly decent quality throughout....to be honest I enjoyed it just as Arachnaphobia. :)

I just loved the fun factor of it to be honest. Managed to pick it up in Tower for a tenor too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

For Asian B Movie horror, they do it with sheer abandon in this little number which I rented in Xtravision on VHS many moons ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262753/

I couldn't believe that imdb had an entry.

Advertisement