Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karl Hungus Recommends...

Options
  • 25-08-2006 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I was actually considering writing this for a blog entry, but I thought that nobody really looks at that much, so I was going to post a thread similar to this on the Films board, but lastly I came to the conclusion that the Horror board would probably benefit from a bit more action.

So, here are 10 films I recommendend you people see. This is by no means a stupid "Top 10" list, or anything definitive, it's simply films that I think are underapreciated, deserve more viewing, and that perhaps the readership of the Horror board could benefit from seeing, if you like. So in no particular order:

The Devil's Backbone

Although he's more famous for Hellboy and Blade 2, here director Guillermo Del Toro creates a fantastic ghost story that's eerie, mysterious, touching and absolutely beautiful in equal doses. Set in an orphanage during the Spanish civil war, it's a remarkably human tale, with extremely well written characters, all of them unique. Just see this phenominal film.

Blue Velvet

Not exactly a Horror, but Blue Velvet remains one of the most dark and disturbing films in cinematic history. It's worth seeing just for Dennis Hopper's preformance as the psychotic and terrifying Frank Booth.

Ring

No, I couldn't go without recommending this film. Chances are anyone who's worth their salt with reguards to Horror has seen this, but just in case, see it. At this stage, Asian Horror is increasingly typical and formulaic, but nothing comes close to the brooding tension this film conjures up.

Don't Look Now

Oh what a masterpiece this is! Mysterious and beautiful, Don't Look Now is a pivotal film in Horror, slowly building the intruige and atmosphere untill it's climactic finale. I cannot recommend it enough.

The Changeling

As with Don't Look Now, The Changeling is a fairly overlooked, but incredibly influential film in Horror. The creepy haunted mansion theme has been done do death, but here it's done to absolute perfection. It's a very creepy film that relies on atmosphere, suspense and mystery, as a man who's lost his wife and child struggles to uncover the secrets of the house he's moved into.

Profondo Rosso

Dario Argento at his best. Stylish, mysterious and utterly brilliant, you can see where this classic has left it's mark. See it and you'll know what I mean, because it's easily one of the most meticulously plotted and intruiging serial killer films there is.

A Tale Of Two Sisters

With all the mediocre Asian Horror films that have been doing the rounds post-Ring, this is probably one of the very few that actually stands up in it's own right, and doesn't reek of yet another ghost story by numbers. It's chilling, frenetic, claustrophobic and quite easily one of the most downright terrifying films I have ever seen in my life. Just see it.

The Dead Zone

No, not the series of the same name, but the David Cronenberg film from the 80's starring Christopher Walken as a man who wakes up from a coma after 5 years and has a psychic gift. Walken is just absolutely phenominal in this film, the sense of isolation he portrays as a man who wakes to a world he doesn't recognise anymore. It's one of the few Stephen King adaptations that actually makes an excellent film, and it's also fairly overlooked.

The Kingdom

Lars Von Trier's miniseries about the occult going ons at a hospital, which has recently been remade as Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital, is definetly one of the stranger horrors out there. It's grainy, jarring and low-budget, but it's one fantastic and disturbing piece of work that scared the pants of me when I first saw it. Well recommended.

Audition

As you've probably guessed from what I've been recommending, I've a big thing for slow-burning films, and Audition is definetly a slow-burner. I was lucky to have seen this before the hype sat in, which really gave the wrong impression about the film. I think people had expectations of a non-stop gore fest, when in fact it's more of an art-house film. It's still absolutely fantastic, but don't watch it with the wrong mindset.

Anyway, there we are. I've spent a great deal of time thinking about what films to recommend, and it's been difficult to narrow it down, but I think I've picked a very decent selection of films. So, if you've not seen any of the above films, then do so, and perhaps reply with comments.

Enjoy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its a shame that I have only seen half of those films, and whats worse, that I still haven't gotten around to seeing The Devils Backbone...another one on your list there I haven't seen despite constantly telling myself I'll get it next week, and next week is Don't Look Now.

I think you'd have a stroke if you saw my top ten list in comparison to yours - think Land of the Dead, Re-animator, Braindead, Demons, Bad Taste and Beyond the Limits, not to mention my unashamedly public love of the recent wave of US remakes, more so then their original incarnation actually (for the most part)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Some I've seen, most I've not. So, I'm going to pick one at random, and watch it this weekend:

And the wheel stops aaaattttt:
    A Tale Of Two Sisters

cool! will get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

HavoK wrote:
    Its a shame that I have only seen half of those films, and whats worse, that I still haven't gotten around to seeing The Devils Backbone...another one on your list there I haven't seen despite constantly telling myself I'll get it next week, and next week is Don't Look Now.

I think you'd have a stroke if you saw my top ten list in comparison to yours - think Land of the Dead, Re-animator, Braindead, Demons, Bad Taste and Beyond the Limits, not to mention my unashamedly public love of the recent wave of US remakes, more so then their original incarnation actually (for the most part)

I don't think I'd have a stroke. Why those are all good films there, just leaning much more towards the gore end of things than films I've mentioned here. Although your love of remakes is an unforgivable sin.

Anyway, you should definetly see Don't Look Now before the remake, and the inevitable ruination of The Devil's Backbone with Brad Pitt and that annoying Haley Joel Osment.

Out of curiosity, which other films there have you not seen?

Speaking of remakes, I haven't seen all of the Wicker Man either, which I really wanted to do before seeing the Nic Cage version - even though I didn't particularly like what I saw. As for the Devils Backbone, I don't think I'd exactly be queuing up to see Brad Pitt in the remake.

I haven't seen the Devils Backbone, Don't Look Now, The Kingdom, The Argento movie, or the Changeling.

Also, looking at the kingdom (which I must seek out now), have you seen the recent TV adaption of The Shining? Heard great things, its for sale pretty cheap locally but have not yet gotten around to seeing it.

Maybe this thread will give me the motivation to actually get out there and get those movies....Oh, and I was really hoping to be able to add "Snakes on a Train", especially after the thread you made about it, but it was just that bad, I couldn't do it :D

I've heard the TV version of The Shining was abysmal. I've not seen it, but usually Stephen King & made-for-TV send up warning lights in my head.

Out of my recommendations though, I'd say you should see Profondo Rosso (The Argento movie) the most as that's easily the most grisly and brutal of the lot, there's some serious nastiness in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Good post Mr Hungus, I still havent seen the devils backbone...I'll have to order it on play.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Hey Karl,

Could you recommend me a decent motorcycle for under 5,000 euro?

Thanks in advance.

AlienGav wrote:
    Hey Karl,

Could you recommend me a decent motorcycle for under 5,000 euro?

Thanks in advance.

No I couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The Devil's Backbone is probably the stand-out film in that list that I've been telling myself to find. I'm a little confused though, has it been remade or is there a remake in the works?

The Devil's Backbone is probably the stand-out film in that list that I've been telling myself to find. I'm a little confused though, has it been remade or is there a remake in the works?

As far as I know, there's not a remake in the works at all, and my mention of one was entirely speculative.

• Advertisement

I mis-read that actually, I thought you were telling me there was a remake already in production...oops.

Wicker Man out in three days, anybody waiting in anticipation? I wouldn't be, other then the fact I rather like Nicholas Cage so for that very reason I have to say I will definately be hoping to go and see it.

Well honestly, it wouldn't suprise me if there were a remake in the pipeline. Most of the films I've recommend have either been remade, or are being remade. The Devil's Backbone, Blue Velvet and Profondo Rosso are the only ones not up for the chop, so far.

I'm dreading the supposed Olsen twins version of A Tale Of Two Sisters. But to remake such incredibly influential films such as Don't Look Now and The Changeling, that's just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

eeek olson twins ... their scary in their own right :D And they'd better leave Frank Booth alone .... a remake would just be plain wrong, just like they should have left Norman Bates and his mother alone.

Bah, hate them unoriginal hollysplut remakes of remakes. :rolleyes:

ps: Just ordered the devils backbone today

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Actually, since this seems to be The Big Karl Hungus Love-In, I figure I might as well get in on the action and get some more Asian cinema suggestions. On your advice I checked out Visitor Q a while ago and thought it was great; I think it was you that suggested The Happiness Of The Katakuris as well, which is one of the best and weirdest films I've ever seen. So, with a brief rundown of what I've seen and thought of it, and a few things I already know about, can you suggest some asian films for me to check out?

Ring (original version & remake; both sequels. Liked original, didnt like sequels)
    Grudge (original version & remake; original ok, remake pointless)
    Dark Water (original version & remake; liked original, remake pointless)
    A Tale Of Two Sisters (story got a bit too tangled up in itself but some lovely camerawork and atmosphere)
    Audition (magnificent)
    Ichi The Killer (spectacular, and some brilliant laughs along the way to boot)
    The Wishing Stairs (crap, generic asian ghost story)
    R-point (reasonably good, would've been great if I hadn't already seen Deathwatch)
    Old Boy (great)
    Visitor Q (broke the most cinematic taboos ever in one go, masterful)
    Happiness Of The Katakuris (brilliantly weird and entertaining)
    Battle Royale (very good)
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter...and Spring (fantastic)
    Tetsuo : The Iron Man (brilliant yet freaky)
    The Eye (a bit meh, sadly)

I know I've missed a few, but you get the idea. I know about films on Tartan's Asia Extreme label and can seek them out for myself. What I'm looking for specifically is more...groundbreaking, I suppose. Stuff like Visitor Q, Happiness Of The Katakuris, Save The Green Planet. Although pointers to decent Asian Horror would be much appreciated too in light of some of the crap being released now.

I await your words of wisdom, master :D

Fysh wrote:
    I await your words of wisdom, master :D

Groundbreaking you say? Onibaba is extremely groundbreaking in the sense that it's one of the most original and influential horror films you'll find in Japanese cinematic history.

You're obviously into Takashi Miike's work, so I'd recommend Gozu if you've not seen it already. Very Lyne-esque headphuckery, and a lot of people hated it, but if you've managed to love Visitor Q, Audition, Ichi The Killer and Happiness Of The Katakuri's, then see it with all haste.

Vital. See my review here for details.

Definetly see Memories Of Murder, which is easily one of the best Korean films I've ever seen. Based on the true story of South Korea's first serial killer, it's gripping, intruiging and utterly brilliant.

See how you get on with those. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

its weird, i saw the changeling on tg4 a few years back (best channel ever) and id just seen the others in the cinema around then, maybe its just me but it really feels like the others is a prequel to the changeling! watch it again, there's a lot of hints and nods to the changeling... great film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭calliopeia

I've seen almost every movie mentioned so far. And they are all great.
    But no one has mentioned Switchblade Romance!!!!!!! 11 people walked out of the cinema the day I saw it!!!!! It’s a great horror film and should be watched by all!
    And THE DECENT........

Switchblade Romance is ok - I found for all its attempts to the contary it was very predictable.

The Descent, yes I enjoyed that one immensely as well.

Now that Fysh mentioned it, does everyone like Ichi the Killer? I sat down to it in extreme anticipation, and was somewhat - actually, totally - disappointed, yet I've not encountered anyone else who felt the same to date.

HavoK wrote:
    Switchblade Romance is ok - I found for all its attempts to the contary it was very predictable.

The Descent, yes I enjoyed that one immensely as well.

Now that Fysh mentioned it, does everyone like Ichi the Killer? I sat down to it in extreme anticipation, and was somewhat - actually, totally - disappointed, yet I've not encountered anyone else who felt the same to date.
    Haven't seen Ichi yet, although I'm not overly pushed. I thought Audition was good, but I'm not the biggest Miike fan by any means. Visitor Q was just a non-sensical mess imo, completely over the top for the sake of being weird.

Visitor Q was just a non-sensical mess imo, completely over the top for the sake of being weird.

Have not seen Visitor Q yet, and like all the others mentioned in the thread, its one I've genuinely been wanting to see but have yet to motivate myself into actually renting it...

But interesting you say that, because thats how I felt about Ichi the Killer after watching it, I thought it was far too strained to that effect in some - actually alot of - parts.

And again, Miikes Dead or Alive - good film, totally stupid ending, what did anyone make of that? Even though I know its not a horror, just while we're on the subject.

Dead or Alive had a fantastic opening though, I'll give it that.

• Advertisement

With your description of Ichi there, I wouldn't hold any high hopes for Visitor Q. You'll probably just feel the same way.
    Although if you're really curious, it's almost worth it. There's some sick **** in that movie!

If it means anything, first time I watched Ichi The Killer, I was pretty underwhelmed by it. It felt convulted, and overly strange, but on second viewing I really loved it. It's practically a live-action comic book mixed with some more David Lynch-esque moments, in the fact that it's very abstract, especially towards the end.

I found it was a film that just got better with repeated viewings.

Dead Or Alive is probably one of Miike's worst films, so the less said there the better. Visitor Q, is a very strange film, and I personally loved it even though I still don't know what to make of it. I'm suprised anyone else likes it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Visitor Q, is a very strange film, and I personally loved it even though I still don't know what to make of it. I'm suprised anyone else likes it either.

It's a great film,I especially like the milking the momma scene(now that's a first)thank you Sci Fi for showing it uncut! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

If people are going to randomly pick out one or two films from Karls list I recommend Audition above all the others. It's fairly rare that horrors affect me emotionally in any way as I've become desensitised to them at this stage but I found this film genuinely disturbing. Well worth a viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I love the movies that I've seen off this list:

Don't Look Now -- supremely unsettling and the payoff chilled me to the bone (that's a good thing :D)

A Tale of Two Sisters -- I loved the atmosphere and pacing, and the scares were just the kind of ones that really get to me (again, a good thing!)

Blue Velvet -- definitely a disturbing 'normal' movie, which doesn't really have any obvious horror components, yet is far more effective than a lot of films with the horror tag.

I haven't seen the rest, mostly because of not being around or too busy when they had theatrical releases (Audition & Devil's Backbone), and just haven't gotten around to renting or buying the DVDs.

As for other asian films:

One Missed Call (being remade) -- quite formulaic as Ring/Grudge movies go, but still quite entertaining and has a couple of scares.

Phone -- avoid this one, it just plain sucks. A bad attempt to copy the J-Horror formula.

I'm sure I've seen more but can't think @ the moment (brain's a little fried after work!)

I thought Phone was okay. Nothing spectacular, but had its moments. The little girl was very good in it I thought, very creepy!

I thought Phone was okay. Nothing spectacular, but had its moments. The little girl was very good in it I thought, very creepy!

The little girl was good alright, I just can't recall anything scary that happens in it. :confused:

To be honest it didn't last too long in my memory either, all I can remember is feeling those hairs stand up once or twice :)
    Although there is one part that sticks out in my mind,
    when the little girl is possessed and she seems to be having a fit, then throws herself down the stairs.

Re: Phone, I mostly remember
    when she kisses the dad ;)

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, that came flooding back when you mentioned it as well! :)

Advertisement