Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggest an album for me

Options
  • 21-08-2006 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭

ok, I'm not sure if this is the wrong forum, so if it is, then modes feel free to move.

Basically, I haven't found an album in about two years that has absolutely blown me away, and I'm looking for some suggestions.

Now I know a lot of you guys would have different tastes to me, so here's some of my favourite bands/musicians:

Beatles
    kinks
    oasis
    bellx1
    mercury rev
    Damien Rice
    Declan O Rourke
    John lennon solo stuff
    I like *some* of the artic monkey stuff
    the Killers
    Bob Dylan

So I'd like to find a band that are in the same genre as these?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Martin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

There used to be a band called Bread in the 70's.
    They sold millions of records and I have to say if you can get their 'best of' album I think you'd love it, but it can be pretty hard to get a hold of. I have it on LP and CD.

David Gates was the lead singer.

Its a fantastic album..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Rich_Why

Have you honestly looked? I mean I just can't imagine you've looked and failed to find a band similar to what you've listed......:confused:

Rather than suggest a band I suggest you simply use something like wikipedia or allmusic.com. Search for a band you like and simply read up on their influences or similar acts. You'll always find something. Or use Pandora to help you find stuff, give the name of a band and song you like and pandora throws tonnes of **** back to you thats classed as similar.

I don't think you'll have a problem finding something similar to and better than the Killers. You'll find plenty similar to the Beatles and Dylan but don't expect anything better. Try Neil Young actually......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

best of matthew sweet - time capsule

• Registered Users Posts: 14,801 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you don't have any of the Stones original albums definitely check them out - start with "Beggar's Banquet" or "Let it Bleed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Hedge

If you haven't heard the Arcade Fire album, Funeral, it will definitely blow you away. Best album of it's genre in years.

Other good ones include:

Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
    Willy Mason - Where the humans eat
    Bonnie Prince Billy - I see a darkness
    Magnetic Fields - 69 love songs
    The Decemberists - Picaresque

I'm sure there are many more but these ones stand out for me

Also buy Curtis Mayfield - Give it up. Only about 3 pounds on amazon and it is essential listening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Matthew Sweet is a great recommendation. Love him.

You might like Ray Lamontagne too. Supported Bob in Kilkenny. Trouble is an amazing album. Get some Tim Buckley as well maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Best way to find music in my opinion is to use Last.fm, it tracks what you listen to and then you can view Similar Artists. Its great

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Try reading NME?

</elitist>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Try reading NME?

</elitist>

pfft most music snobs stoped reading NME years ago

also try some scott walker your probably best starting of with his earlyish stuff
    Scott 1-4 rather than his most recent stuff which while fantastic can be a bit weird for the uninitiated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Give goo goo dolls(dizzy up the girl) and sufjan stevens (illonoise) ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Eagles of Death Metal- Death by Sexy

You knows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

pfft most music snobs stoped reading NME years ago
    lol, you clearly missed my sarcasm(It actually wasn't "sarcasm", it was more me being condescending). What I meant was: "Go read NME and stop wasting our time!"

Now it just sounds harsh and mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

JC 2K3 wrote:
    lol, you clearly missed my sarcasm(It actually wasn't "sarcasm", it was more me being condescending). What I meant was: "Go read NME and stop wasting our time!"

Now it just sounds harsh and mean...

Yeah I thought you might have ment it that way but wasnt sure so I took the oportunity to have another dig at the NME

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

nada surf are kinda good ....actually my favourite album at the moment is modest mouse "baron von bull**** rides again"! not sure if id put that on your list but my list is your list and i luv it.. the're not all that new so you might already know them

also check out the postal service......their album "give up" is pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

nada surf are kinda good ....actually my favourite album at the moment is modest mouse "baron von bull**** rides again"! not sure if id put that on your list but my list is your list and i luv it.. the're not all that new so you might already know them

also check out the postal service......their album "give up" is pretty cool

He's not looking for 'kinda' or 'pretty' good stuff.

Check out Copper Blue by Sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

"Daisies of the Galaxy" - Eels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
    Eels - Electro-Shock Blues
    Weezer - The Blue Album
    Weezer - Pinkerton
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Beastieboy

If you don't have it already.....'Grace' by Jeff Buckley...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Neil ****ing Young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Have a listen to Jellyfish - Bellybutton

Drawing heavily from the "Paisley Underground" scene, Queen, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, XTC, Cheap Trick, Wings, and Badfinger, Jellyfish released their debut album Bellybutton in 1990. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Guillemots - Through the Windowpane is quite stunning, lead man is a classically trained musician and he puts some lovely stuff together, especially the last song, Sao Paulo, 12 minutes of perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Idlewild - The Remote Part
    Muse - Origin of Symmetry
    Doves - Last Broadcast/Lost Souls

They're some top quality albums and along the lines of the more modern artists you listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Xavi6 wrote:
    Muse - Origin of Symmetry

Great album. Try the Postal Service - Give Up, got it recently and am loving it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Xavi6 wrote:
    Doves - Last Broadcast/Lost Souls

Seconded.
    And someone mentioned Copper Blue by Sugar. That's a great album too.
    Bjork's first album- Debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

iFight wrote:
    Great album. Try the Postal Service - Give Up, got it recently and am loving it ;)
    that postal service is a great album, i have a small gripe with it though as it seems to me that it takes forever to get into the main starting point of the songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Grandaddy - Sophtware Slump

Minimalist and lush all at once. This album has a real post apocalytptic feel to it. Reminds me a little bit of Yoshimi - with all the space sounds in it. And the guys voice is a lot like Neil Youngs or that guy from Mercury Rev. Beautiful album.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Here are some of the best from the last 10 years or so, imo:
    elliot smith - xo
    air - moon safari
    papa m - whatever mortal
    beck - sea change
    arcade fire - funeral
    doves - last broadcast
    mercury rev - deserters songs
    antony + the johnsons - i am a bird now
    shack - hms fable
    beta band - 3 eps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Henry Sails...

I like it chuckprofit, I likes it a lot,..:) ,but your omitting a few classics all the same

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Bryjun
    Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
    Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season

Alll beauties in their own right.

Advertisement