Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Opel Manta thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

that silver/grey 400 replica is nice.....

...........what makes you think its a replica ?

I wondered about that but I looked at the chassis plate which looked original and it read

Adam Opel AG
    Manta B -400
    ** then the entire chassis number **

..........looked genuine enough !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭barryi200

MercMad wrote:

I wondered about that but I looked at the chassis plate which looked original and it read

Adam Opel AG
    Manta B -400

its right hand drive!!! only 1 right hander made...that was DPP 117Y

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Hmmm......

I've had two emails in the last few days from eBay re the '76 Manta which was up for auction.

Both emails offer me a "Second Chance Offer" on the Manta?
    Now last time I looked the car was sold for £3,000+ , so why would they be offering it to me again when I only bid £1,000????

Are these scam emails ???
    Or is there something dodgy about the car/seller??

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mantaraver

Hi Everybody. I've been lurking here for a while and this is my first post.
    That silver 400 is real alright. I have spoken to the owner a few times at shows and he has just completed a nut and bolt restoration on it.

PHOT0041.jpg

Here are a few pics of my own restoration work. It's based on a 77 shell, fitted with the 400 kit, a redtop engine and a few other nice bits

my400rep2.jpg
    PHOT0063.jpg

Hi mantaraver, and welcome to the forum!

.....and what an entrance!! Your Manta looks great!

Good to have another Manta fan onboard!

Silvera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭manta mad

barryi200 wrote:
    its right hand drive!!! only 1 right hander made...that was DPP 117Y

DPP 117Y is the only right hand drive Manta 400 and its lucky owner is Tom Higgins of Aberdeen.

It was originally proposed that the 400 was made available in the UK in right hand drive form with a total of 25 for the 1982 model year. Unfortunately, this was not agreed, as Opel would only build left-hand drive cars.

DPP 117Y became the Vauxhall / Opel marketing display car. It was built primarily for UK type approval, which was attained in January 1983.

It was first seen by the public at the 1983 Motor Show. After that, the car was used by GM Motorsport as a "rally replica", and was the AC Delco 400 of Jimmy McRae and the 400 of Andrew Wood.

When the 400s finished rallying in 1987, it was put into store at the GM Sport workshops in Northampton. There it remained until being saved by the Vauxhall dealer, Thorlby Motors, in Lincs. Fully restored back to all its glory, it is now in the safe hands of Tom.

It is based on a Manta B 400 with the 2.4 16v engine. Compared with the Ascona 400, it has an "overdrive" indirect fifth gear, which gives greater top speed. The car is finished in Polar White with the door stripes. A full Irmscher bodykit is fitted, including the rear spoiler. Wheels are 8Jx15 Ronal at the front with 10Jx15 at the rear. The car has a spotless Opel Blitz interior and has just under 20,000 miles on the clock. What sort of price is a car like this? Well, as I said, it is the only one of its kind and is therefore priceless! Tom has no intention of selling his big arched monster; he has been after it for over 10 years.

welcome to the boards mantaraver, more picsplease &where abouts are you ?
    would love to get a look under the bonnet of that manta, being toying about fitting a red top.

LONG LIVE THE MANTA :D

Mmm well I bow to your superior knoweledge re the RHD 400, but this car had a 400 chassis number, so all I can say is it must have been converted to RHD at one point !

Thats a possibility isn't it ??

PS Love the red Manta !

MercMad wrote:
    Mmm well I bow to your superior knoweledge re the RHD 400, but this car had a 400 chassis number, so all I can say is it must have been converted to RHD at one point !

Thats a possibility isn't it ??

PS Love the red Manta !

Yep....but i find it very hard to believe that someone carried out alterations to a 400 especially as seeing there was only 245 of them made.... Nelso will be doing a feature on her shortly on the manta 400 website so all will be revealed...

Mantamad you must have the same data bases i have when researching the Manta!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Sorry to hijack a Manta thread, but as there is a few Opel experts about,can anyone tell me the differences between a Kadett C coupe Rallye and Kadett C coupe GT/E?

I thought all Kadett coupe 1.2S's had chrome trim and bumpers but I saw one this year with all black trim like a GT/E except the rear windows could open outwards and it had black 1/4 bumpers on the front.

Here's a pic under the bonnet of my yoke for anyone who wants to see.

PHOT0075.jpg

Spec as follows :
    Body : 77 manta b
    Engine : Coscast 16 valve from a doner gsi 2000
    1.8 gearbox, carlton clutch, manifold from a rally car
    Suspension : Koni adjustables all round with full polybush kit.
    Brakes : 16v front discs with volvo 4 pot calipers, rear disc conversion
    Diff : ZF limited slip.

Have I left anything out :D

Started this project at the start of last year when I bought the bare shell with the kit already fitted. Only welding i had to do was replacing the boot floor which was rotten due to sitting outside for 5 years with a wet carpet sat in it. This is what it looked like when i got it first.
    Bseriesshell.jpg

Done every bit of work myself and im just a wee bit proud of my creation (can ya tell):D

Been a manta nut for a long time now and this is my 5th one. Im from Monaghan btw.

• Advertisement

Wow well done !

That was quite an abitious project and you did it justice !

One question ................why the blue engine ??

Also I agree about the RHD conversion, why bother if the car is that rare, but maybe and more likley it is a re-shell job, with evrything transplanted into a RHD shell. That chassis plate, and I am used to looking at Opel plates, was genuine IMO !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mantaraver wrote:
    Started this project at the start of last year when I bought the bare shell with the kit already fitted. Only welding i had to do was replacing the boot floor which was rotten due to sitting outside for 5 years with a wet carpet sat in it. This is what it looked like when i got it first.
    Hope you kept those daytona type alloys - they are the business.
    I'd kill for a set on my old baby.

Hope you kept those daytona type alloys - they are the business.
    I'd kill for a set on my old baby.

Unfortunatly they didn't come with the car but i have these instead Modern-Line-1-tlg-16.jpg
    MercMad wrote:
    Wow well done !

That was quite an abitious project and you did it justice !

One question ................why the blue engine ??

I just happened to have some candy blue paint lying about and I thought it looked good... a bit different from the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

anyone got a Manta back axle going spare?

corktina wrote:
    anyone got a Manta back axle going spare?

which model you looking for????

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

I just found this thread so I thought I would post up a couple of photos of my GT/E.
    IMG_7013.jpg

IMG_7114.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

It needs a bit of work doing to it - mainly a new exhaust, fuel sender, temp and oil gauge fixed, a bit of rust on the rear wheel arches and possibly a new front O/S wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

barryi200 wrote:
    which model you looking for????
    i was told it didnt matter but its a bit like the black one on here......(not mine you see...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 john-h

Theres a green Manta for sale on the Sandyford Road (in Dublin). Think its a 1979 saloon, looks clean. Coming from the Dundrum crossroads (the old one in the village) head up past all the carparks for the new SC, go straight through the first junction towards Sandyford Village. 400m up on the LHS (just before the Balally r'bout) you'll see the car parked on the road with contact details in the window........

Only 17,072 miles / 27,475 kilometres on an 84? I wonder if it had an extra digit on the odometer would it have a 1 on it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'd say (with almost certainty!) that it's 117,072 miles on it.
    It's listed as "17,072" because - IIRC - Mantas have a 5-digit mileometer.

Still, 117,072 is no bother to a Manta (or any Opel) if it's well maintained! ;)

Silvera wrote:
    It's listed as "17,072" because - IIRC - Mantas have a 5-digit mileometer
    Spot on ;)

I wonder could I try and flog mine with only 5500 miles? :D

Are there any Manta owners on here a member of the OMOC?

I am trying to organise a meet before winter sets in - provisionally we have thought of the Bee Hive on the N11. It has a large car park with the opportunity for taking a few photos!

Would anyone here be interested in joining us with their Manta? :)

Would be interested but 2 far away....based in cork.
    I hang out on the OMOC alryt, not a member yet!! waiting for this paypal button which is coming for last 12 months!!! You might let us in on what there saying about us in the exclusive members area!!!

barryi200 wrote:
    Would be interested but 2 far away....based in cork.
    I hang out on the OMOC alryt, not a member yet!! waiting for this paypal button which is coming for last 12 months!!! You might let us in on what there saying about us in the exclusive members area!!!
    I was interested to find out as well - feck all really :D

Shame you are so far away mate!

bring the manta brigade to cork!!! lots of us down around here...

Meet half way?

MercMad wrote:

Adam Opel AG
    Manta B -400

Well i was browsing the 400 site tonite and i came across this, it turns out that the car is in fact a manta 400 road car version and the only one ever registered in Ireland. Check the link for pics of same below.

http://www.manta400.netfirms.com/Our_Cars/Martin_Drennan/martin_drennan.html

IMG_7312.jpg

IMG_7314.jpg

IMG_7316.jpg

Not often you see 2 black Manta B-CC GT/E's together so I thought I better get a pict. The E reg belongs to a guy from about 20Km from me who recently bought it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement