Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcode

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

flynnc8 wrote: »
    Sorry peeps, but I'm with him....

So am I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kinga_2008

Yes ok that's very comment's lads but your probably the kinda people who go to **** holes like redz, 21's, Diva, Qbar. Tramco etc, I've been to them all, and ya know what? one thing is always the same, wannabe hard men in shirt and slacks with dodgy haircuts giving it socks to I'm A Dreamer, Sandstorm Etc

Every friday and saturday its always packed, best women in dublin end of ! ! !
    Enjoy Qbar or wherever you little minions crawl out of !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Anytime I was forced into visiting Barcode it was cheesy music, sure ffs the place looks more like where yid hold a wedding reception than a nightclub. And the music policy is pretty much the same

*bets 50 euro I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker was played.*

Lord what cheese the students and country folk can get their groove on to.....

I happen to be both of those things and I'd say theres a reasonable chance I have a better taste in music than you do.
    abetarrush wrote: »
    A few months back ye might have missed somethin on a Thurs or Fri

but now....

I was there twice on a Thursday last year, the 1st time was only ok, the 2nd time I had a ball. Is it really much different now (on a Thursday)? I suppose we'll see when the Uni's start back proper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sharona!!!

Barcode isnt great, the drink has gotten really expensive and the music aint the best either. The only good thing is that it is free in!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Kinga_2008 wrote: »
    Yes ok that's very comment's lads but your probably the kinda people who go to **** holes like redz, 21's, Diva, Qbar. Tramco etc, I've been to them all, and ya know what? one thing is always the same, wannabe hard men in shirt and slacks with dodgy haircuts giving it socks to I'm A Dreamer, Sandstorm Etc

what planet are you from??

barcode is pretty much full of scum and has been for as long as i remember, used to go ther 4/5 years ago my sis went until recently, we used to go for cheap drink and laugh at the knacks and pick up easy knack girls

some things never change

i was there one week and a guy got stabbed 3 times in the head....charming

• Advertisement

i was there one week and a guy got stabbed 3 times in the head....charming

Could happen anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

It used to be good, very good a few years ago. I used to go every week, twice some weeks when I was around 18/19. 21 now and I went back twice in the last few months and its gone to absolute ****.

Back in the good old days they were strict on the door with proper reasons, they didnt just refuse random people and let in dodgey looking ****ers. (FTR I've never been refused). The women used to be classy and seriously hot - they had the UCD/DCU/DIT girls there week in week out. The drink was 3E before 11, 4E thereafter. Then they scrapped the 3E time, then they made it 4E all night, then made it 4E before 12 - full price after, now its just full price all night. Its full of terribly dressed scumbags looking ****ers with awful looking haircuts.

Typical bloke in Barcode (casual):

Occupation: Apprentice Plumber (third year because he left school before his leaving cert to do it, so now hes 'loaded')
    Car: 98' Hunter green beamer (with 10% tinted windows and alloys and 'savage system')

Dress:
    Colourful t-shirt with some sort of cartoony looking design on it
    Combat-style stonewash blue jeans
    Those lightweight white canvas shoes and white socks - possibly with the jeans tucked into the socks
    Haircut: Tight on the sides, spiked at the back, fringe down at the front, all with WAY to much gel that makes it look greasy as fcuk

Typical bloke in barcode (overdressed):

Occupation: Supervisor in River Island (Supervisor because hes been full-time there for 5 years, again dropped out of school to persue this career)
    Car: 2001 Honda Civic - black

Dress:
    Black slacks ironed without the crease
    Cheap red shirt from topman with pink thread-stripes - first button open
    Skinny black tie - casually loose because hes not comfortable with the neck closed because hes never worn a shirt and tie before in the 'not night-out' context. Optional black waistcoat.
    Haircut: Badly styled longish hair straightened so much that it looks like its straw - its rock hard because so much hairspray has been used on it

Typical bird in Barcode (A):

Car: Her boyfriends Honda Civic (see above)

Dress:
    Fushcia pink mid-thigh length dress from Topshop
    About three big black round-ball type long necklace-thingy made from plastic
    Overdone make-up done by her friend Sara (no H but pronounced Sarah) whos training to be a make-up artist to the stars
    Ridiculously orange skin due to overuse of fake tan
    Huge pointy high-heels - open toe
    Haircut: Bleach blonde short sides choppy on top with a straightened fringe pulled down hard over one eye, not that unlike the hair sported by 'overdressed bloke'.

Typical Bird in Barcode (type B):

Occupation: Legal Scretary (she tells others she works in 'Law' but her accent lets her down - nobody believes shes a solicitor)
    Car: Her Ma's '07 Seat Ibiza
    Low cut cotton top
    Denim hot pants that make her legs 'look longer' (actually fatter)
    Very high heels
    So much fake tan that if it rained the smoking area would turn into a river of gravey.
    Hair: Long and black (dyed black - pitch black)
    Heavy white foundation and dark eye make-up

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dancor wrote: »
    Could happen anywhere

i disagree

i disagree

Then you are ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Then you are ignorant
    You're on thin ice dancor!

An apology might thicken it considerably!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i went on friday

and i have NEVER in my life seen so many sluts, EVER.
    ABSOLUTE chav fest, every chap there was a complete and utter chav, but its possibly the easiest place to pick up a girl, the music is good, mainstream is what u need in a night club, the place itself is fantastic, not big on the crowd.

Some fight outside after, chap got a full force kick to the face, half his face was absolutely ****ed. scary
    was there one week and a guy got stabbed 3 times in the head....charming
    is this real? when did this happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Then you are ignorant

No, he's not.

It could happen anywhere, but it doesn't. But you tried to make it out that it does.

I've worked in most of the better known clubs and bar's in Dublin, in fact I've worked as a bouncer in Dublin for over 15 years and have never seen anyone stabbed in the head!.

In fact, the only person I know who came close - is me, and that was a bottle in the head while working in a club in Leixlip (Co.Kildare) back in (I think) 1994.

So cop yourself on and don't talk through your arse, it could happen but thankfully its not as common as some people might think.

Btw, most assaults ending up in our casualty units are the results of domestic disputes.

Btw, if I was 16-19 yrs old, I'd think Barcode was the best club in the country too.

**Grabs coat to leave, cops himself on arguing with a teenage barcode type young person**

Mairt wrote: »
    It could happen anywhere, but it doesn't. But you tried to make it out that it does.

No I didnt. I stated the fact that it could happen anywhere.
    So cop yourself on and don't talk through your arse, it could happen but thankfully its not as common as some people might think.

All the more reason why I think he is lying, It seems like a sensationalist thing to say.
    Btw, most assaults ending up in our casualty units are the results of domestic disputes.

Thanks for the useless fact :confused:
    ''talk about talking out of your arse''
    Btw, if I was 16-19 yrs old, I'd think Barcode was the best club in the country too.

**Grabs coat to leave, cops himself on arguing with a teenage barcode type young person**

Im not in that age bracket, nor am I a teenager.

You're on thin ice dancor!

An apology might thicken it considerably!

oh oh, didnt see this, Sorry if my post caused offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 zach morris

Pen1987 wrote: »
    Typical bloke in Barcode (casual):

Typical bloke in barcode (overdressed):

Typical bird in Barcode (A):

Typical Bird in Barcode (type B):

Very, very bang on. Nice one.

+1

Im not in that age bracket, nor am I a teenager.

Then youre too old for Barcode.

'It could happen anywhere'... so could a car crash, but you've considerably less chance of being involved in a car crash if you drive safely. See what I'm getting at here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I go to Barcode a fair bit.

I love the set-up. It's a change from the "bar or dancefloor" situation in most places, but I have to admit, the crowd isn't the best. That description above is spot on. But then again, I do find that in most places.

So, I ask of ye who are dissin Barcode, what's the alternative?
    Where do you go that the crowd is great, the music unreal, the drinks reasonably priced and well served?

Diarmsquid wrote: »

Where do you go that the crowd is great, the music unreal, the drinks reasonably priced and well served?

What age are you? What type of person are you, i.e how well do you dress/are you decent looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

I go to Barcode a fair bit.

I love the set-up. It's a change from the "bar or dancefloor" situation in most places, but I have to admit, the crowd isn't the best. That description above is spot on. But then again, I do find that in most places.

Wednesday - crawdaddy/button factory = indie/electro - drink promotions, better than BARCODE. 3 euro drinks etc

Saturday - buttonfactory/andrew lanes theatre/whelans? village? [i dont like village as much]

barcode = qbar = redz = 21, all quite similar, crowd wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

flynnc8 wrote: »
    Sorry peeps, but I'm with him.....

I absolutely adore barcode... I'm 20 years young and all my friends head out almost every weekend... It has everything!!! ...

Everything?

Bar good sound system, good tunes and an attractive layout. Dublin has alot of poor clubs but Barcode takes the piss.
    Kinga_2008 wrote: »
    redz, 21's, Diva, Qbar. Tramco etc, I've been to them all, and ya know what? one thing is always the same, wannabe hard men in shirt and slacks with dodgy haircuts giving it socks to I'm A Dreamer, Sandstorm Etc

You sound sore that you cant dance ;)

Q Bar is decent enough these days. 21s is a good spot. Tramco is the worst nightclub in Dublin no exceptions, and Redz aint far behind.

The crowd are drink spilling drink stealing twats who seem to have a low alcohol tolerance level, at least on weeknights.

Music unreal? Out of curiousity what kind of rubbish do they play at Barcode these days?

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/charts/singles.html

Im going to hazard a guess at the following off that list

All I Ever Wanted -Basshunter
    Give It 2 Me -Madonna
    The Galway Girl -Sharon Shannon & Mundy
    Don't Stop Believin' -Journey

All absoloute cheese. All Barcode standard.

How did I do?

• Advertisement

Then youre too old for Barcode.
    Im 20, That too old?
    'It could happen anywhere'... so could a car crash, but you've considerably less chance of being involved in a car crash if you drive safely. See what I'm getting at here?

Not really, But if your saying Barcode is dangerous have a second look at the security, Its the best ive seen. I feel safer there than I would a places with a simuler clientel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭irlande

shane86 wrote: »
    Don't Stop Believin' -Journey

All absoloute cheese. All Barcode standard.

I'm as extremely anti-barcode as the next guy, but lay off the Journey!

They're not cheese....they're pure 1980's!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Barcode was good about 4 years ago til every scumbag and underager in Dublin started being let in. I used to go when I was in college (19/20) and even at that age I felt old. The place is full of absolute **** and the music is shite.

On the plus side you can get your hole no hassle, though chances are you'll be stirrin someone elses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Xavi6 wrote: »
    On the plus side you can get your hole no hassle, though chances are you'll be stirrin someone elses.

"Get your hole", urgh, I forgot about that expression. I don't think I could "get my hole" there because from my experience the type of girls being described are usually hostile little wenches that don't want to know you unless you dress just like all the other muppets and know someone they know. "Where are you from what part what street do you know etc. etc." I bet is how 99% of conversations are started in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

The concept of Barcode is great, all the facilities it has, it should be a top spot. IMO, the music is crap, they seem to play the same set everytime I'm there. ( Which hasn't been in a year and a half thank God). I used to go every Thursday, and I had a lot of fun.
    As for it being cheap, it's not. The drinks prices go up atleast twice as the night gets later and the people get drunker.

The amount of teenagers that drink there now is unreal. I have had some great nights in there, but the place really has gone to the dogs.
    I used to go all the time when I was younger, it was great when it first opened, and not that many people knew about it. It was local, and a lot of my friends went there.

I have heard the band on Sundays is great craic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I loved it when I was 18, but as many have said, the crowd got worse and the drink got more expensive. At one stage it was actually €3 all night, and then they changed it to increase in stages as others have mentioned (though I'm 21 so at least someone should remember when it was €3 all night). I went back a couple of weeks ago and a pint of Bulmers cost twice that. Even though Bulmers is expensive in town, you are rarely charged €6.

The bouncers are worse than many, although 21's seem as bad. The clientele are terrible.

It has seriously deteriorated, and it's popularity has dropped because of it. Back in the day you had to go down around 8 to try and avoid a huge queue.

I wish it was a great club because I live a few minutes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

What age are you? What type of person are you, i.e how well do you dress/are you decent looking?

I'm 18.
    What type of person am I? I kinda find that a hard question to answer.
    I usually wear shirts going out. Checked shirts as opposed to pink shirts. Hair: Not long enough to say I have long hair, but not short enough to put gel or anything into. I prefer talking to dancing.
    And am I decent looking? I suppose I'm not too bad. I'd give myself an honest 7 out of 10.

So, what's my ideal hotspot?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmmm, i have never been to this barcode place of which you all speak.

i might try it out this weekend so

I'm 18.
    What type of person am I? I kinda find that a hard question to answer.
    I usually wear shirts going out. Checked shirts as opposed to pink shirts. Hair: Not long enough to say I have long hair, but not short enough to put gel or anything into. I prefer talking to dancing.
    And am I decent looking? I suppose I'm not too bad. I'd give myself an honest 7 out of 10.

So, what's my ideal hotspot?

Doyles. If you like music like The Strokes etc and arent a stuck up snob or a scummer. 'Antics' in Crawdaddy if you go out during the week. 'Wax' off Grafton St. CitiBar. AKA.

Saying that I've never met you and you could easily get refused from a load of these because of how you or your mates look/wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

AKA is gone, and was over 21's anyway. Doyles is good, I'd hardly recommend it as an alternative to Barcode though. Citibar is turning into Redz and is also awful for refusing people.

Advertisement