Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Evening Herald article about the Port Tunnel signage...

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Victor wrote:
    I saw in California on some freeway entries that a traffic light is set to go ren-green-red-green every few seconds to space out joining traffic.

I noticed that too and they seem to work well. Does be snarl ups on some of the flyovers though.:rolleyes:

Oh the joys. I noticed on the northbound slip onto the M1 at the Coolock interchange the lights on the slip road. The purpose of these is to regulate traffic flow safley onto the motorway. I saw these in LA where they appeared to work well, however they were slips from massive flyovers which could handle the inevitable tailbacks. The Coolock interchange however is not like that: its a roundabout so is this going to work or will this lead to a monumental traffic disaster on the interchange?. I suppose also they had to do it with the merge from the tunnel. If it does work though maybe this is what the future holds for slips on the busy M50 once the upgrade is complete.:rolleyes:

Just as an aside: what in gods name is with the gantry sign Northbound. Its full of route numbers!!! How are ppl suppose to read this properly travelling at M-way speed??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

any need for anther thread on this?

You were already discussing it here!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054974106&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

I'll give you some quotes from the other topic mentioned...
    bryanw wrote:
    The lights are emergency traffic lights in the event that there is something wrong in the tunnel. Hmmm... we really need to get some more road tunnels in this country so people can get used to them! In other countries most road tunnels have traffic lights and its very unlikely you will see them red (unless something is wrong). I also heard that the ones on the Port Tunnel will go red if there is an approaching vehicle which exeeds the height which is picked up on the sensors a bit before the tunnel.
    jlang wrote:
    Bluetonic wrote:
    Why would you need emergency lights on a slip road which joins the motorway 150 meters north of the port tunnel portals travelling (northbound) away from the port tunnel and in no way giving access to the port tunnel?
    In case of emergency, of course. If there was a problem in the tunnel, the tunnel needs to be evacuated as soon as possible. Having fleeing traffic fight to merge with traffic coming down off an on-slip would not be good. I'm sure there's other usage scenarios, but even if it was "Just in case", it would be enough for me.
    Sorry for posting in a repetitive topic.

These set of traffic lights are not 'emergency traffic lights'. They are only for traffic management. They are there to space the traffic coming off the slip. The emergency lights are at the entrance to the tunnel. These are different. I think they will become a feature on motorway slips in Dublin over the next few years.

P.S sorry but can someone merge this with the other thread:o

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

The traffic lights on the slip as previously stated are to be used in the event of an emergenvy in the tunnel to stop traffic coming down onto the m50 and allow the tunnel to clear.
    They will not be used as ramp metering as seen in other countries.

Traffic wrote:
    The traffic lights on the slip as previously stated are to be used in the event of an emergenvy in the tunnel to stop traffic coming down onto the m50 and allow the tunnel to clear.
    They will not be used as ramp metering as seen in other countries.

Its on the northbound slip off the Coolock interchange. Its to help with the rediculously short merge between this interchange and the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

darkman2 wrote:
    Its on the northbound slip off the Coolock interchange. Its to help with the rediculously short merge between this interchange and the M50.
    Do you have any other evidence to suggest this will be the case, other that what you can see yourself?

Because after the traffic leaves the tunnel, the slip + the mainline will become 3 lanes.

Advertisement