Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Life costs forcing smaller cars???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I would say a Ford Focus saloon trouces a Cortina/Hunter (Mondeo class) for interior space because
    1. cars in each sector grow with each new version.
    2. Improvements in packaging, FWD etc

I drove a friend's Mk2 Granada once & even though it was a tank it was really cramped inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

pburns wrote:

In South Africa the Avensis is now being marketed as a Camry replacment!

So you do have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

pburns wrote:
    I would say a Ford Focus saloon trouces a Cortina/Hunter (Mondeo class) for interior space because
    2. Improvements in packaging, FWD etc

I drove a friend's Mk2 Granada once & even though it was a tank it was really cramped inside.

Yep, isn't a current VW Lupo bigger than the original Golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

unkel wrote:
    Yep, isn't a current VW Lupo bigger than the original Golf?

I thought they stopped making the Lupo.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

They stopped making it last year. But you get my drift. Compare a '74 Golf to a '05 Lupo and most dimensions are similar, even though the Golf is in the small family hatch segment and the Lup is in the segment below the supermini. Two segments down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cars are like poeple or are people expanding to fit the cars?

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Cars are like poeple or are people expanding to fit the cars?

Mike.

Manufacturers like to say it is x inches longer, y inches wider and z inches higher?

I was behind a Sierra today, and it really looks a bit smaller than the current focus.

unkel wrote:
    They stopped making it last year. But you get my drift. Compare a '74 Golf to a '05 Lupo and most dimensions are similar, even though the Golf is in the small family hatch segment and the Lup is in the segment below the supermini. Two segments down

Compare the passat of the same era and it also have grown a lot. When you start adding safety and luxury features weight and size has to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

maidhc wrote:
    Manufacturers like to say it is x inches longer, y inches wider and z inches higher?

I was behind a Sierra today, and it really looks a bit smaller than the current focus.

The ultimate dimensions are proberly less in all respects but if the car looks bigger its because of all the body sculpting - wide arches, high arse, tweaked high waistline, huge moulded bumpers etc.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

No they just renamed it. It's now called the Fox

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote:
    No they just renamed it. It's now called the Fox

Are you sure

http://www.rte.ie/motors/2006/0808/vwfox.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yup RTÉ second paragraph
    Based on the underbits of VW's Polo the three-door Fox replaces the pint-sized Lupo.

ninty9er wrote:
    Yup RTÉ second paragraph

Was the Fox not designed as a replacment for the ubiquitous Beetle taxi in Mexico City? IIRC 2 dr taxis were made illegal there because of an increase in kidnapping, the Fox with 5drs was developed to fill the void.

ninty9er wrote:
    Yup RTÉ second paragraph

Its a replacement for the Lupo. But its not the same car renamed. :rolleyes:

Advertisement