Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leitrim Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Seems to be lots of Northern Leitrimers. One Ballinamore and I'm from Carrigallen

Looks like Leitrim is the only county where 100% of the population uses the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

jimmy, alot of positive feedback coming from you here.

Lets see can you say something constructive about leitrim or is just your rapier wit that you are famous for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Just wandered in from Ballinamore festival. Reccomended it to all, but had no intention of going. Ah well. It was good craic though. Bit rough, but thats par for the course during the festival.
    Forza Leitrim:D

Il gato, 04:13 in the morning, and you just wandered in.
    At that time i would be floating around the place.

When does the festival end.

It's on all week. Next weekend will be mental up there. There's fireworks on Sunday night. Live music on the street most nights. There's a funfair all week as well. If you like that sort of thing:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Leitrim is a very lovely place said the man from RTE

Every aul crock of a drumsna cock is longing to be free

All the men are in the IRA sir and the women in cumann ma mBan.

Love that song.

Careful now, Muffler might give you a stern ticking off, like he did to me and i didn't even quote as much as that:rolleyes:

Nanook,
    You're from Drumkeeran? I thought you were from Carrick, are you from around the village? Spent lots of time down there.
    In relation to christy and ballinamore, it was the ballad of ballinamore, and for the life of me i can not find it anywhere, there is a box set spannig over 30 years or something, but it is not on it.

Actually it is on it, I could send you the MP3 (For research purposes only, must delete straight away) if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭muffler

AdrianR wrote:
    Careful now, Muffler might give you a stern ticking off, like he did to me and i didn't even quote as much as that:rolleyes:
    Careful now AdrianR, muffler is in bad auld form today.:(

Just to clarify - if you are posting something and it includes the lyrics of a song then all you have to do is say so like the previous poster here has done

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Careful now AdrianR, muffler is in bad auld form today.

Just to clarify - if you are posting something and it includes the lyrics of a song then all you have to do is say so like the previous poster here has done

OK, that's fair enough, Anyway on that note, here's the entire lyrics of the Ballad of ballinamore, for anyone that's interested, can't remember who wrote it, it wasn't Christy. I was at Christy in Ballyconnell a few weeks ago, requested it at the end but he wouldn't play it:
    The ballad of Ballinamore:

Leitrim is a very funny place sir, A strange and a troubled land
    All the boys are in the IRA sir, All the women are in Cumman na mBann
    Evert tractor has a (free) Nickey Kelly sticker, Displayed for all to see
    Sure it was no wonder that the Gardai made a blunder sez yer man from RTE.

Chorus
    Every bird upon my word is singing I’m a rebel sir up in Leitrim sir.
    Every hen indeed is laying hand grenades, I do declare sir, in Drumahair sir.
    Every auld crock of a Drumsna cock is longing to be free.
    Even sheep are advising they’ll be another rising sez yer man from RTE.

Today tonight they went to Ballinamore sir, they were briefed by the Gardai.
    On the video they showed to them the Provies, atin curry and drinking tea.
    They were all waring Russian balaclavas, each carried an RPG.
    British scalps around the tummy pockets full of stolen money sez yer man from RTE.

Chorus

Leitrim is seething with sedition, it’s Sinn Fein through and through.
    All the task force have joined the local unit, the post office is the GHQ.
    They’ve a race track underground for training Shergar, No comment is all they’ll say to me
    Subversion here is bubbling up, just take me back to Dublin sez yer man from RTE.

Chorus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 northwest queer

The Ballad of Ballinamore was a b-side. I think the a-side was Hey Ronnie Reagan. Which makes it 1983 or 1984. Reagan visited Ireland in 1984 and Christy was involved in one of the anti-Reagan's visit groups - the Reagan Reception Committee, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Croke Park on Sunday..... Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Liatroim Abu!

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote:
    Croke Park on Sunday..... Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Liatroim Abu!
    What! Mascots from Leitrim :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sligo-man

Ah Leitrim:D. Been working in Carrick for the past 5/6 months. Tis ok, feck all to do in general but a few nice pubs if yer into yer drinking. Dunne's especially, good live music at least once a week there too;).

Yeah, Dunnes is good. Flynns across the street is nice too. Actually there's loads of nice watering holes in Carrick. With regards to there being feck all to do, wait til the cinema arrives. Then it'll have pretty much everything Sligo does. Pubs, clubs and a cinema:D

il gatto wrote:
    wait til the cinema arrives
    Is that the mobile cinema that Paddy20 was on about in a thread a few months ago :D

Ah yes, The mobile cinema. A novel idea, and apparently original. Pity everyone finds it so ridiculous. There was a cinema in Carrick and they closed it. They couldn't handle the mighty opposition of a lorry with a big trailor full of seats and a projector :D

it wasnt the mobile cinema that closed it. they could not even get the rats to stay in it it was that bad.

I remember the cinema when it was a good large place with a balcony, in the end it was a balcony with a hairdressers at the back.

They probably wouldn't have closed it at all if they could've got the rats to pay full admission :D

il gatto wrote:
    They probably wouldn't have closed it at all if they could've got the rats to pay full admission :D
    Thats a terrible way to describe Leitrim people :D

ahhhh muffler, that could be considered as a personal attack.

I will have to deliberate weither you should get a ban for the week, :)

Could you imagine the poll, wither to ban a mod or not

back to the cinema, it was rough, but i have been to worse places, i think it used to be called the giety or somthing like that.

I would never abuse any of the 7 people who live in Leitrim :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

From leitrim village, the, erm, capital of the county!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

3 pages? bloody hell!!!!

I owe some people money...

Jepers I was wondering where the Leitrim thread had dissappeared to :D

stepbar wrote:
    Jepers I was wondering where the Leitrim thread had dissappeared to :D
    people say the same about the County :D

With all that coast line people could be saying the same thing about Donegal in a hundred yrs time ;)

Advertisement