Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Are you looking for somewhere in the city centre if so try the Iveagh Fitness they open at 6-6.30ish til 10pm and have just updated all the resistance epuipment all cybex and there some new pretty good machines at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

Any1 got any idea wot the new Livingwell in the Hilton in Kilmainham is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Pinnacle from a newbie girl point of view. The place is great, there is a great selection of weights even at the lower end dumbells start at 2.5kg. A great selection of plates to, i love the way they have 1.25kg plates as its perfect for upping the weight slighty but not too much. Another great thing is that the place is usually pretty tidy, so no more wasting 15 minutes trying to get the plates together to do a lift. The atmosphere is really nice and anyone whos been there at the same time as me have been really friendly and very polite. And no dirty looks for being a girl weight training, the place really is the shiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

@personaltrainer

Hey there,
    I have been going to the Living Well since it opened on May 21st. There are a number of things I like about it and number of things that could be better. I joined up at the very start before it opened and got 14 months for €671, so it works out at about €48 a month. There was no joining fee when you pay cash up front. Not sure what the situation is now though? For that fee you also get a 15% discount card that can be used in the hotel bar\restaurant. This card can also be used at other Hilton hotels and I believe you can get 15% off the price of staying in another Hilton too. Also, I think you are able to use any of the Hilton Living Wells anywhere in the world once you are a member.

It's a small enough gym, your usual hotel setup and in my opinion can improve a lot on the free weights side of things! Currently there are no barbells at all only dumbbells. Also, there is no smith and floor mats are needed. The weights machines that are there are brand new but very restrictive in terms of adjustment, the only thing you can really adjust is the weight itself. Having been to other gyms and seen the equipment in these the weights machines in the Living Well are very basic.

There are about 6 treadmills, 2 rowers a number of bikes and one stepper (the stepper is annoying to use so I avoid it) and a hydro therapy pool! The pool is nice and relaxing, lots of bubbles! There is a jet stream in the bigger section that one can swim against but there is no way you will be doing any serious swimming here.

They provide you with a towel each time you go which is a nice touch. Changing rooms are very clean with separate shower stalls. There were issues a few weeks back with cold showers but that seems to be sorted now.

I have been mostly going in the morning time and prefer it to the evening as it is a lot quieter, its just as well though as the lockers in the changing room are far too close together and the more people in there at the one time the more change you will not be able to get to your locker after your shower etc. Weekends were quiet too anytime I have been there.

Staff are for the most part nice and friendly, one r two need to get a personality though! Classes are starting next week so I'll no doubt sign up for a few of those.

So, to sum up! If you are someone who is big into their weights and power lifting etc. then this is not the gym for you. If you’re someone like me who likes the cardio and also some weights then you should be pretty happy there. AS I said, they need barbells and a smith IMO as well as floor mats and a few other bits and pieces. For me it’s handy for work and that's the main reason I joined. I'm hoping they make the changes I mentioned (I have put these in their suggestion box) as I feel these are definitely needed.

Any other questions give me a shout,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JayRoc wrote:
    SBG NORTHSIDE

This is ostensibly a martial arts centre, but the facilities for non-MA trainers are as good if not better than a lot of gyms I've seen.

They have a power rack, a squat rack, Flat and Incline benches, DB's up to 50+ kilo's (from what I can recall, they were certainly heavier than most places have) a preacher bench, and the usual bits and pieces you'd expect.
    If you're a daytime trainer the weights floor will be practically deserted, so there's always room (although there's a permanent member of staff on the desk beside you who'll be available for a spot). As well as all the weights there's a number of cardio machines, including treadmills, crosstrainers and bikes. Several good-quality heavy punching bags are adjacent to the weights floor.

The gym does a €50 per month "Cardio/Weights" membership which entitles the user to unlimited use of the weights, cardio equipment and punch bags.

It's located in a new unit, no. 88 I think, in Baldoyle Industrial Estate.
    Five minutes walk from Howth junction DART station.

I was just about to throw SBGnorthside up when I seen your post.

www.sbgnorthside.com

Not awhole lot I could add to what you wrote, except to say that I think don't there's another gym in Dublin were you'll get the personal touch like you will in SBGn.

Only thing lacking for some boarder's is there's no pool. But like JayRoc say's, its primarily geared towards the Martial Art's, but fighting is never, ever pushed on you.

Its got a fine selection of weights and cardio equipement. And for those guys here who watch UFC on TV, you'll get to meet some of Ireland best MMA fighter's, regular MMA seminar's with top international fighter's.

Well worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭paulie.walnuts

Crunch Fitness NUI Galway

Went there for 7 years, was never once approached by an instructor offering assistance or advice on form etc.
    The male instructors would wait for young ones to need induction and this is all they'd do, would spend 3 times as long with the good looking ones.
    The female ones would just sulk around at the counter, no interest in their job. I left it as i couldn't hack it for the city gym (proper gym). Now in states in another great gym with rust on the plates and bars and no plasma screens. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Larryfin

Hi there!

Can anyone here tell something about gym in Palmerston Place, Dublin 7 ?
    I´m moving nearby and noticed a "Gym"- sign there. It seems to be downstairs and when i peaked in from the street it seemed like a real nice gym, not any posh fitness heaven. Please info someone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Clarion Hotel Cork city - SanoViate health & fitness club

I was thinking of joining this gym simply because its closer to work than my current gym. Having used it though I think I'll be staying put.

It has a decent selection of machines and the dumbells go up to 40kg but its is sorely lacking in other areas. If you want to bench press you'll have to make do with a smith machine, same goes for squatting - no sign of a rack or cage.

No height adjustable cable pulley either and there isn't even anything on which to do pull-ups (I was thinking about grabbing onto the top of the smith machine but thought this might get me kicked out!).

As you might guess with a Hotel gym its going to be catering more for cardio than anything else (having said that the gym I use when I'm home in Wexford is a hotel gym and its absolutely fine for weights). There are plenty of treadmills, bikes & cross-trainers and an aerobics studio. And as its part of a hotel everything is kept clean and in good condition.

So in conclusion: Not so good for weights, perfectly alright for cardio but there are much cheaper gyms around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mogs22

Hi there, has anyone visited curves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Was looking for a review of AALSA, opposite Dublin Airport?

Can't find any web links anywhere

Danke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Kingfisher Galway

I've been a member of this gym for a few years but only really starting using it seriously about 1 1/2 years ago, long term family membership that I've started availing of so as long as that's here, the Kingfisher will be my staple gym.

The best thing, possibly, about the kingfisher is that while the weights section isn't huge, it's perfectly adequate and owing to the fact it's not renowned as a good weights gym or anything of the sort, the place is virtually deserted most of the times I've been there, save for maybe the typical after work rush. It opens at 7am so I get a good workout in before college, and again, usually have the place to myself. There's a smith machine, 2 free weights with oly bars, decent rack of dumbells that go up to 35 or 40, dip/chin assist, lat pulldown, chest press, tricep press, several leg extension machines which I never use so I'd have to double check what they are, as well as several other machines that I'm actually not even sure what they're called. The cardio section is great, with enough bikes, walkers and treadmills that even at peak busy periods there's always something going, although the rowers and steppers (3 of each) can get quite busy. Great pool as well, full size, always very clean with a Jacuzzi, Sauna and Steamroom.

I think the highest point on which I could recommend the kingfisher is for something who's not super serious into weights, but more with a casual interest, like myself. I dislike busy gyms, and for this reason the Kingfisher is fantastic - 90% of the time I'm there not only do I not have to queue for anything, I'm often the only one there. Often, the rare time, you'll find groups of Eastern Europeans attending together, but to be honest, they're great guys, friendly from the interaction I've had and do not hog machines and are more then willing to give up equipment when asked, you do read about certain types of clientele in most gyms but thankfully it's never been an issue in the Kingfisher.

So there you go, a bit of a sparse review regarding equipment, but a clear idea of what the place is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Rebel_City

Hey, I was joined Crunch Fitness in Temple Bar. It's a differernt kinda gym - the interior etc is OTT, but it's a cool gym. Anyways, I'm not working in town anymore, so I need to find a gym near to where I live.

Can't decide between Hilton Kilmainham or Liffey Valley Fitness.

Hilton Pros are that it's near to where I live. Not sure how busy it gets in the evenings 6pm+ because it's really small.

Madmoe - would you reccommend the hotel gym for someone who uses the weight machines the most (40mins and 15 cardio). Not looking to be a body builder, more into toning up etc.

Liffey Valley - I'd drive there but, same thing - is it jammers in the evenings?

Not sure what to do, it's been 3 weeks since my last workout, and I feel crap already!!

Cheers!

@Rebel,
    Hey mate. I use the Hilton most days as its very handy for me. I'm more into the weights than the cardio and have made progress while there.

There is no smith and no bar bells, I have asked the manager for them and he gave the usual BS excuse about it being a hotel gym etc. etc. and said they would not be getting any. I paid my membership up front and will stick with it until next year but I do intend to get myself as far as I can there and then move to another gym that is better equipped weight wise. U should drop in and ask them for a free day trial and see what you think.

I go most days in the morning and its the perfect time to go, always nice and quiet, it is busier in the evenings.

Hope

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to have a look next week at some stage - I have a free pass. If it's going to be too busy I'll try Liffey Valley. But I prefer the personal size of the Hilton!

I've been focusing on my abs / obliques, cross trainer / cycling machine, and then chin dips, calf raises, leg raises, pecs, shoulders etc.

Using machines for chin dips, calf raises, leg raises, pecs, shoulders etc, and using the free weights for biceps and (when you sit on the edge of a bench, place a dumbell in between your feet and raise them up towards you)..can't remember what that exercise is called.

Basically, I'm all up for a change of programme, but as long as the Hilton can provide a good all round regime so I bulk up a bit etc..

Does anyone have info on the Liffey Valey gym? is it really busy, well kept, value for money etc?

Same with the KCR gym?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kerrrory@gmail.

Jon wrote:
    Westpoint

Out of all the gyms I've listed, this is my favourite. Why? VALUE!!

For the price you pay here for yearly membership and the service you get this place can't be beatin IMO.
    I know I've heard reports about the night time being seriously over crowded. So this report comes from someone who has only trained there in the mornings

Firstly the place is always immaculately clean. The ambience is perfect for working out. Downstairs beside the pool you've got a lot of weights machines and cardio machines, spread evenly over the two sides of the pool. The machines are seldom out of order, they seem to have a guy constantly at work maintaining the equipment.

Upstairs the weights area is very good. The dumbells do only go up to 30kg's a minor point tbh there are plenty of them so you're not waiting on some one with a particular weight to finish before you start. There are udells of benches and barbells instead. No end of plates and they are always easy to find. They have a good chin up machine and a decent cable cross over macine and 2 squat racks with plenty of space!

At the back of the weights room there is a small matted area which is ideal for stretching out after your work out.

Showers:
    Always spotless. Always in order, always the right temps :)

Changing areas are very clean too.

All in all a decent gym, for the price you pay you get a top class facility. Well worth a visit. I'll be going back there soon!

Slender health in Raheny very good too. Spinning classes on weekdays and weekends mad. I thought i was fit until i did one of these classes. You would be shattered afterwards.
    Some members take in three classes back to back sometimes which takes some doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Rebel_City wrote:
    Does anyone have info on the Liffey Valey gym? is it really busy, well kept, value for money etc?

Same with the KCR gym?

Cheers!

Was in Liffey Valley last year - they're a bit ignorant. If you come in after 8:30 p.m. they are quick to remind you of closing time. I wanted to use it after nine when it was quieter but they'd turn off the tvs and radio and keep on about closing up even though I wanted to have my shower at home instead. Not very friendly.

Hey - thanks for the info on Liffey Valley. Going to join either Liffey Valley or the KCR. Not sure what traffic is like in the evenings going from Inchicore/Kilmainham area to the KCR via the Nass Rd/Longmile -any idea?!

That's painful re the staff closing early etc. Did you get a good programme there etc? Are the facilities any good? Badly need to get back into my gym mode - it's been a month since I last went and I can really see/feel the difference! :eek:

Went to the Carlisle gym last night for a look. It's huge! Seems to have everything you need as regards weight machines / cardio / free weights. Changing rooms are big etc. Got a free pass so will go for a workout at some stage and see how it goes. For the price - it's a bargain! The speed bumps in the carpark are mental though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hey I have a residents gym at the mo...
    but moving to Phibsborugh and need to get another gym sorted asap - anyone recommend any? The one above eddie rockets is right beside my place..anyone been there?

My only other option is town...

cheers

• Advertisement

@Rebel,
    What did you think of the Hilton?

Mark

Hey M'moe - sorry I thought I'd replied about my visit to the Hilton. It's a nice spot. Really clean, friendly staff. Went early in the week in the evening, it was busy but not ridic. Not going to join because there isn't the range of weight machine/free weights that I use. The weight machines are more like stress/tension machines (not sure of the proper description). It's pricey for what you get. It's a hotel gym, and a good one for a hotel. But I'm used to fitness centres etc. Prob going to join KCR, mainly down to the price, location isn't the best but it's cheap as chips! :D Still have to check out the Liffey Valley one properly, but again the price of the KCR does it for me! :rolleyes:

Good stuff Rebel,
    I agree with what u say about the weights and machines, have paid up my full year since May of last year so will stick it out. Gonna look further afield when it comes up for renewal though. They seem to be going through staff like there is no tomorrow in there at the Monet....never a good sign!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback/ thoughts on the above gym. Please bear in mind what I want out my gym, and I will happily listen to any other recommendations.

My current gym (Benildus HFC) is closing at the end of the month, due to 'unforeseen circumstances'. I joined it initially because it was what most other gyms appear not to be- friendly, unintimidating, not crowded, and convenient/ close to where I lived.

I have since renewed my membership because it was familiar, and I got to know the staff, who were always on hand to review my programme, correct my form, or just give general pointers.

I would be a committed long-term member if they weren't closing.

Since being in Benildus, I have gained a small bit of confidence in my work-outs, so am not as intimidated by the big, impersonal corporate gyms that are out there, but I want something with a decent free weights area, wide selection of machines (not fussed with cardio machines particularly), approachable staff and decent value for money.Pool is a bonus, but not a requirement.

I live and work in the Dun Laoghaire area, so Crunch is far and away the most convenient, but I'm open to suggestions.

Membership in Benildus was c.€400. I'm looking at c.€700 in Crunch, which is pushing it, but I'll pay if I have to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I joined Crunch DL three weeks ago and love it - I find the free weights fine (I use them a lot, though I'm a girl so don't know too much about the availability of heavier weights tbh - there is another separate area with very heavy weights but i havn't been there) and there are *lots* of weights machines and cardio machines. The place is really clean and the staff are very friendly.

There is a fitlinx system which tracks your workouts based on your programme designed by the trainers, or you can just work away on your own stuff obviously if that's what you prefer. I paid €730 for the year (so if you get it for €700 I'll be livid ;)) but tbh the main criterion was location, because it's far and away the winner on that front, which means I go more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Don't. They are all show. Worst gym in Ireland.
    justdoit wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some feedback/ thoughts on the above gym. Please bear in mind what I want out my gym, and I will happily listen to any other recommendations.

My current gym (Benildus HFC) is closing at the end of the month, due to 'unforeseen circumstances'. I joined it initially because it was what most other gyms appear not to be- friendly, unintimidating, not crowded, and convenient/ close to where I lived.

I have since renewed my membership because it was familiar, and I got to know the staff, who were always on hand to review my programme, correct my form, or just give general pointers.

I would be a committed long-term member if they weren't closing.

Since being in Benildus, I have gained a small bit of confidence in my work-outs, so am not as intimidated by the big, impersonal corporate gyms that are out there, but I want something with a decent free weights area, wide selection of machines (not fussed with cardio machines particularly), approachable staff and decent value for money.Pool is a bonus, but not a requirement.

I live and work in the Dun Laoghaire area, so Crunch is far and away the most convenient, but I'm open to suggestions.

Membership in Benildus was c.€400. I'm looking at c.€700 in Crunch, which is pushing it, but I'll pay if I have to...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Hi Justdoit,

Maybe call in and have a look at Monkstown pool and fitness Centre before paying out the 700 euro membership!

http://www.monkstownpool.com/gym.html

They have recently renovated it.

They don't have a yearly subscription at the moment - more of a pay as you go system.
    10 Visit Gym Pass is 55 euro or 6/6.50 per session.

The weights section has improved greatly since the renovation. Don't use it myself but it doesn't seem to be too crowded when I head in after work, and there are loads of weights machines.

The 'cardio' area is savage, no problems getting on a machine.

As for the atmosphere, very relaxed, the guys there are really friendly and well up for a chat.

I personally love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Plus they have a nice big pool in Monkstown. The Crunch one is far too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

Monkstown works out very expensive if you are going there 3 days a week year round though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 corkgirl1

Has anyone joined this gym in Smithfield, Dublin 7? If so any comments? Is it usually very busy in the evenings?

Advertisement