Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cell mate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I agree with your bleak picture there. And it is the State or system etc. that is to blame for creating this sh*t environment. I mean its probably deliberate to try and "break" the inmates. Its inevitable really that prisoners become the monsters they do when faced with that reality.
    But general society doesn't seem to give a toss about it.

Indeed, it's worrying that we have a system than can put the slightly wayward in with the hardened criminal.

And yet we expect reform!!! It's crazy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

While Mountjoy (never been inside, although i setup some pc's) is not a holiday camp, like the Dutch or Swedish instituitions , it is nowhere near as bad as the U.S. jails , where your chances of being raped , are pretty damn high ... think i'd prefer Mr. Bush to execute me , than running around the showers , chased by some sexually deprived muscle men and home boys, with sniggering guards watching on ... so basically Mountjoy is not the best , nor the worst !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭meathmannn

Sorry to spoil the party guys, but no -one gets sent to the joy for their forst minor offence.
    Go down to any court and look at how hard it is to get people put away, I wouldn't believe one word of what the media are printing on this guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Its also a fact that its the whole environment of prison is dehumanising.You're treated like scum anyway,you have to sleep in a cell with maybe three other people with an aluminium pot to **** in,you have to listen to them fart,rant,rave,scream and vomit throught cold turkey,talk about themselves all ****in night or insit onplaying the radio when your trying to sleep.In the morning your roared out of your cell then you've to goa nad empty your piss pot befor you collect your breakfast then your locked up again for two hours.AND your day is only beginning.Imagine teh prosepct of that every day for 18 months,it would turn the mind of the sanest person.And thats without all the other crap that conspires to make life unbearable..lack of contact with your family,terrible food,filth and dirt everywhere to say nothing of the lunatics who have nothing to lose strutting around as if they're god,the drugs and the stink.The system is designed to make you feel like you'r enot aperson anymore and in the case of a lot of the blokes in there they no longer are,they've become institutionalised predators without any redeeming features whatsoever.
    _

Most of the time, if you end up in prison its because you deserve to be there. I think locking up a shop lifting mother of 3 is futile and cruel on the children, but if you land in Mountjoy then youve prolly done something to warrant you being there. I dont have any sympathy for any scum who are in there. Better rotting in there than terrorising people on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i doesn't matter what he did. nobody desereves to be kicked to death.
    i've made my feelings about drug dealers quite clear on many occasions and have been slated for my views. i still don't think they should all be kicked to death though.
    the guy asked for help. his pleas were ignored and the prison service is to blame for the beating.
    however, the guy who killed him is actually responsible for his death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

meathmannn wrote:
    Sorry to spoil the party guys, but no -one gets sent to the joy for their forst minor offence.
    Go down to any court and look at how hard it is to get people put away, I wouldn't believe one word of what the media are printing on this guy.
    No one said he was an angel, he was inside for assault and robbery,and was involved in some dispute with associates of his attacker, as far as i know, BUT , what if , you did get sent down for some minorish offence , a bit of hash, small time fraud ... the possibility is that that you could end up sharing a cell with some violent nut case, or sex deprived beast ... that would be my biggest fear .. solitary any day , although they say that drives you mad .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

thebaz wrote:
    While Mountjoy (never been inside, although i setup some pc's) is not a holiday camp, like the Dutch or Swedish instituitions , it is nowhere near as bad as the U.S. jails , where your chances of being raped , are pretty damn high ... think i'd prefer Mr. Bush to execute me , than running around the showers , chased by some sexually deprived muscle men and home boys, with sniggering guards watching on ... so basically Mountjoy is not the best , nor the worst !.

No irish prison is as bad as a US state penitentiary.The US prisons are usually divided along racial lines and subdivided further along gang alegiences.For example in Nevada sate prison within the white communities you've got the Peckerwoods,the Nazi Low Riders,The Aryan Brotherhood.In California there are hundreds of Black gangs loosley aligned with Bloods or Crips.And in New York you have dozens of Mafia families as well as Albanians,Greeks,Irish,Vietnamese,Chinese,Russians and **** knows what else.If you're not linked to a gang when you go inside you'll have to join one quickly otherwise you could find yourself being gang raped by forty home boys or used as a gopher by anybody else who feels like it.The days of the righteous stand-up,fistfighting con are long gone in the states,there's bloke who have more time than its possible to do,they'll sodomise a 90 year old man and cut your throat for a peice of chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yeah pretty much as Julep said above. I have what might be considered a harsh opinion of penalties for drug dealers and organised criminal activity, but no prisoner should be killed in this way regardless of their crime.

I dont know too much about the case, is this different to the dude who had been charged for a serious assault, hardly a different murder is it?

InFront wrote:
    Yeah pretty much as Julep said above. I have what might be considered a harsh opinion of penalties for drug dealers and organised criminal activity, but no prisoner should be killed in this way regardless of their crime.

I dont know too much about the case, is this different to the dude who had been charged for a serious assault, hardly a different murder is it?

They put lifers in with first timers on purpose,it helps them "get used" to the system and also makes people vulnerable.I think the main reason this is kicking off now is that mountjoy is absolute hell at this time of year.There's no air and the cells are like ovens,people are much more likely to kill somebbody.

Degsy your knowledge of the prison system is very impressive, but your signature makes this unnerving!:D

Got my wires crossed on the other case I mentioned, it seems some man by the name of Udechuckwu was recently beaten up in prison (it was on the news) and now this murder. Seems like as Degsy says, the weather might be getting at them.

• Advertisement

InFront wrote:
    Degsy your knowledge of the prison system is very impressive, but your signature makes this unnerving!:D

Got my wires crossed on the other case I mentioned, it seems some man by the name of Udechuckwu was recently beaten up in prison (it was on the news) and now this murder. Seems like as Degsy says, the weather might be getting at them.

There might also have been a clampdown on hash or a drought..that usually sends the balloon up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

there is no hash drought.
    everyone is just dealing coke instead.

there's plenty in the country, but nobody wants to sell it when they can make more money off coke.
    that's the only reason it's ahrd to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CJX-3X12

I wouldn't like to go to jail.

julep wrote:
    everyone is just dealing coke instead.

there's plenty in the country, but nobody wants to sell it when they can make more money off coke.
    that's the only reason it's ahrd to get.

I'm talking about within the prison system,if the cons cant have thier smoke they'll go loopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

InFront wrote:

Seems that one might not even be entirely racially motivated. Apparently he went out in the yard and took off his top going barechested and paraded around the yard shouting, "No one will touch me in here".

Talk about a red flag to a load of skanger bulls. What he was in for was another reason mooted for the treatment he got. The irony is that at least on of the scumbags how beat him up is probably inside for killing his girlfriend too. "ah yeah, buh I warned me mot what I'd do her, I only men to beat her to witin' an inch of her life,killin' her was an accident....and I'd never us an effin lump hammer eeder. Much prefer me fists"

Calibos wrote:
    Seems that one might not even be entirely racially motivated. Apparently he went out in the yard and took off his top going barechested and paraded around the yard shouting, "No one will touch me in here".

Talk about a red flag to a load of skanger bulls. What he was in for was another reason mooted for the treatment he got. The irony is that at least on of the scumbags how beat him up is probably inside for killing his girlfriend too. "ah yeah, buh I warned me mot what I'd do her, I only men to beat her to witin' an inch of her life,killin' her was an accident....and I'd never us an effin lump hammer eeder. Much prefer me fists"

true.Likewise before they started segregating sex offenders from the general population,you'd get rapists attacking other rapists taking the moral high ground over circumstances,age and all sorts of stuff.The vast majority of scumbags consider themselves to be Ordinary Decent Criminals,merely commiting the occasional robbery,burglary or what ahve you but in thier arrogance they often forget about the trauma of thier victims...the elderly person who'll never have a decent night's sleep agin since they were burgled or the poor bastard who was left with brain damage after he tried to stop somebody robbing his car.Then there's the kid who had his mobile stolen at a bus stop and got a few kicks for his troubles and is now afraid of his shadow or the girl who was working in the shop that was held up by a bloke who told her "tell the guards and we'll come back and carve your face up".Ordinary Decent Criminals my arse,most of the ****ers are in mountjoy for a reason and its probably the tenth such time they commited that offence before they got locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Well, only one person to blame here and it's our Minister for Justice. For three years, officers have made reports regarding these holding cells, stating how unsafe they are and passed these on to management. These cells have been overflowing on a nightly basis and it was only a matter of time before something like this kicked off. Only two months ago, the Inspector of Prisons voiced his concerns to the minister about the very cell which was being used to hold 27 prisoners only ten days ago. The Minister did nothing. He shut down three prisons in 2003 to cut the bills and has left the system in dissaray. He must stand down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

julep wrote:
    Ah no, there was three big busts I think.
    Harder to get it all right, drought? no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭thegloriousend

If you actually manage to get into mountjoy, which is incredibly hard to do, you probably deserve to die.

If you actually manage to get into mountjoy, which is incredibly hard to do, you probably deserve to die.

Dont say that,you could get into a row on saturday night,go before the night court and get remanded to mountjoy for the weekend..it has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

bohsboy wrote:
    He must stand down.

LOL, a member of the Dáil taking responsibility for their actions? Now there's a good one, surely this should be in the humour forum? :D

Seriously, I don't care what the guy had done to get himself locked up, he asked for protection, the prison officers seemed to warrant it was needed and did the best they could. There should have been a better facility to give him the protection he obviously needed.

I wonder what he did to merit that? Disputes go on all the time and people get beaten up all the time but is looks like this guy knew he was a dead man walking and that the prison officers knew it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

How could the officers know he had a problem with that guy in the cell when he refused to say who he was in fear of? Mountjoy has not got the facilities to cope with protection prisoners and management have been informed on a continual basis. It's all recorded and documented. Heads will roll over this. Hopefully McDowells.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Sorry people, but if you act like an animal you deserve to die like one .......i have no sympathy for any of the scumbags in mountjoy. i have a family member in there and if he was murdered in there i wont care .........they are all scum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

bohsboy wrote:
    How could the officers know he had a problem with that guy in the cell when he refused to say who he was in fear of? Mountjoy has not got the facilities to cope with protection prisoners and management have been informed on a continual basis. It's all recorded and documented. Heads will roll over this. Hopefully McDowells.

I agree and do hope that there are serious repercussions out of this but from what we know the officers did the best they could in the circumstances.

Unfortunately I imagine that the prison officers will get disciplined while McDowell appears on Morning Ireland to say how sorry he is for the family and how terrible it all is before returning to his office to check his emails before a nice slap up lunch payed for by the taxpayer-funded expense account! :mad:

bohsboy wrote:
    Well, only one person to blame here and it's our Minister for Justice.

I would have said the killer himself, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Degsy wrote:
    Its also a fact that its the whole environment of prison is dehumanising.You're treated like scum anyway,you have to sleep in a cell with maybe three other people with an aluminium pot to **** in,you have to listen to them fart,rant,rave,scream and vomit throught cold turkey,talk about themselves all ****in night or insit onplaying the radio when your trying to sleep.In the morning your roared out of your cell then you've to goa nad empty your piss pot befor you collect your breakfast then your locked up again for two hours.AND your day is only beginning.Imagine teh prosepct of that every day for 18 months,it would turn the mind of the sanest person.And thats without all the other crap that conspires to make life unbearable..lack of contact with your family,terrible food,filth and dirt everywhere to say nothing of the lunatics who have nothing to lose strutting around as if they're god,the drugs and the stink.The system is designed to make you feel like you'r enot aperson anymore and in the case of a lot of the blokes in there they no longer are,they've become institutionalised predators without any redeeming features whatsoever.

That reminds me of the program Oz that was on tv3 awhile back, savage program.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

I was going to start a thread with "6 men in a small locked room. One gets murdered, and the Guards send out for Hercule Poirot"

Dosent seem so simple now, after reading some of this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

bealbocht wrote:
    I was going to start a thread with "6 men in a small locked room. One gets murdered, and the Guards send out for Hercule Poirot"

No need! I've already worked out that Colonel Mustard did it with the candlestick holder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

CJX-3X12 wrote:
    I wouldn't like to go to jail.

Wow, me neither! My interests include beer, girls and watching tv. How about you? :) :rolleyes:

re the hash drought, I havent smoked in over 2 weeks, when I was lookin it was a few days away but Ive been so busy I havent even bothered. re the profitability, I dunno, fair enough it takes longer to shift the stuff but as popular as coke is its nowhere near as big as hash, and therefore as much if not more profit. Just the big busts Id imagine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

re the prison drug trade, exactly how does it work? Prisoners only get some pocket money to buy newspapers and fags from the shop, so where do they get the cash inside to fund a drug habit? And what incentive is there to sell? If some guy is walking out of Mountjoy on the last day of his sentence and they find 5000 euro of drug profits stuffed down his pants surely it would be seized?

Advertisement